FM20 - South America Thread

Harryseaess

Started with Peñarol, goal being to return to be the Libertadores' biggest champion. Currently five titles, but as Uruguayan football is not at its best, it would seem a nice challenge. Nacional, their main rival should be interesting as well, pretty equal in titles, but in a current worse position. If I didn't care about any of these clubs Nacional would perhaps be better for a challenge, but since I have a soft spot for Peñarol...

If anyone has any questions about where to manage I can give some advice. I would suggest going with my boyhood club Newell´s Old Boys. We are currently having a good season IRL but because of the "promedios" (look it up if you dont know what it is) we are in danger of loosing the division. We are one of the best producers of talent in the world (Messi, Batistuta, Poch, Samuel, Martino, Maxi Rodriguez, Heinze, Bernardi, Scocco) and there are some great youngsters coming up the ranks. 

Bonus: not only you can coach the living legend that is Maxi Rodriguez (you can also coach both his cousins who are first team players). 

Thinking of doing an independiante save myself. Argentinian Guy I work with supports them and has turned me onto the possibility. 

They seem to be the slight sleeping giant of South America. 

7 libertadores championships but none since 1984

Haven't won the league since 2002. 

Great fan base and healthy rivalry with their neighbours (literally across the road) Racing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

BUMP, BUMP, BUMP.

Holidayed all South American leagues for a season and then took over Boca who had just lost the Libertadores Final v River again... End of my second season (3rd in game) and just won the league and libertadores double beating Flamengo 4-1 in the final. (see attachments).

Playing with a marauding Libero (A), absolutely smashing teams. Loving utilising the libero with double mezzalas infront, who leave the space for the Libero to run into (see attachment). Feel free to give this tactic a blast. Let me know how you get on. Key is finding a good libero, I retrained Campuzano who is pretty perfect and added player instructions accordingly. 

Just starting third season with Boca, I would encourage you to sign anyone in my first 11 attachment as I've not included new gens in the first 11. Give them all a search on your db's all fitting amazing into my system.

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 16.23.36.png

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 16.30.38.png

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 16.31.23.png

I´m on the 2nd season vil Velez and I somehow won the Primiera Division last year, did'nt really notice that I was doing so well until the last 5 games when the title was in range. A offensive 4-2-3-1 with Maxi Romero scoring 19 goals. Almada, Cufré and Robertone was vital players as well. 

I'm starting to get some luxury problems, I renewed contracts with all my star players to not loose them for free but now no clubs are bidding for my players and I've got really good youth players I want to move to the first team. How did you handle the situation with selling players? 

And the Economy I don´t understand, im losing much money every month despite having salarybudget left. I can't find anything in the economy section that explains why i'm losing around 1-2M euros every month. It has already made my uppgrades being shut down once and I must sell to keep the balance positive.

Edited by 3rik

Oh thanks for the tag @quee !

Yeah I'm managing Milonarios in Colombia. Finally won the 2nd phase final in my 2nd season and have been in the Copa Libertadores group stage once after winning the Colombian cup last season (although River Plate - eventual champions, and Sao Paolo totally ran away with the group).

Really fun continent to manage in imo, although the amount of games in Colombia in a calendar year is pretty crazy, especially if you are playing continental football at the same time. It's fun trying to juggle the players around though, and I like the 3 foreign player limit.

The only downside is I started off using Timo's extended databases (which are good), but it means that all of the loaded players have a "balanced" personality, which is pretty bad when it comes to mentoring my youth prospects :lol:

Hello. I'm starting a save in Brazil with my childhood team, Santos FC. 
I advise to look at the under 20 of the team, has great players: Kaio Jorge, Renyer, Kadu, Lucas Lourenço ... Santos has in his history great players formed: Neymar, Diego, Robinho ... Beyond the legend, Pelé.
I advise you to watch the entire Flamengo team and monitor the players that are listed for transfer.
As Santos does not have much budget for transfers, only acquired a great player of Alianza Lima, Kevin Quevedo. 
I also borrowed Emanuel Reynoso from Boca Juniors. Too bad I won't have money to buy it later.
Edited by diogos

Have any of you found which league rules in Europe make it easy to sign lots of South Americans? This is for use in the match squad rather than just padding out the club squads.

I know Holland, Germany and Portugal are fairly good and perhaps Belgium, Spain and Austria? The last article I could find online about non-EU and foreign player limits was in 2018.

On 11/01/2020 at 10:01, 3rik said:

I´m on the 2nd season vil Velez and I somehow won the Primiera Division last year, did'nt really notice that I was doing so well until the last 5 games when the title was in range. A offensive 4-2-3-1 with Maxi Romero scoring 19 goals. Almada, Cufré and Robertone was vital players as well. 

I'm starting to get some luxury problems, I renewed contracts with all my star players to not loose them for free but now no clubs are bidding for my players and I've got really good youth players I want to move to the first team. How did you handle the situation with selling players? 

And the Economy I don´t understand, im losing much money every month despite having salarybudget left. I can't find anything in the economy section that explains why i'm losing around 1-2M euros every month. It has already made my uppgrades being shut down once and I must sell to keep the balance positive.

I can sympathise with your point on the club finances. I totally get that there are many teams (especially in places like South America) that tread a fine line between sustainability and financial problems, but there are so many situations I've found myself in where no matter how much I slash the wage budget and downgrade things, there still exists a hole in the club's bank accounts. 

I've decided to make the leap across the Atlantic to the Americas myself. I love the passion of the supporters in South America. Some huge clubs there with great histories; not to mention the incredible array of legendary players and managers that have started (and often ended) their careers on the continent. 

I found it quite tough to decide which team to manage. Obviously Argentina is enticing with its intense rivalries and world class youth production. I was also tempted by Colombia, having visited the country and enjoyed it. But I opted for one of the land-locked countries: Paraguay. Cerro Porteno have managed to win 32 domestic titles, though still trail their bitter rivals Olimpia in this respect. They also don't have the honour of having won an international title, with Olimpia having won three Libertadores titles. So the balance of power is tipped in favour of Olimpia. But it has been a while since a team from Paraguay has won the Libertadores (2002), so I thought it would be a double challenge - try to make an impact in the Libertadores as a Paraguayan club and try to help Cerro Porteno dominate in the domestic game. 

97AAE0BA6E29C93E9110441598743D63305F2369 (1366×768)

99549F2C9C308D02F33327A70DF523888E7ABF5F (1366×768)

Very optimistic about creating a striking partnership between this pair. They complement each other nicely. Definitely going to play two up front to fit this partnership into the team. 

My only major concern at the very beginning of the save is this:

FF3C67A407C545462E5B219D59C999F222DC311A (1366×768)

As another player in the thread pointed out, the financial situation can be very difficult to manage in South America with certain clubs. These projections make for grim reading. I'm under the wage budget at the moment. But we're going to have to address this somehow, even just to limit the losses. I was quite keen to build the club up and improve the infrastructure, but that doesn't seem feasible with these figures. 

On 16/01/2020 at 07:31, Jogo Bonito said:

Have any of you found which league rules in Europe make it easy to sign lots of South Americans? This is for use in the match squad rather than just padding out the club squads.

I know Holland, Germany and Portugal are fairly good and perhaps Belgium, Spain and Austria? The last article I could find online about non-EU and foreign player limits was in 2018.

Portugal has special rules for Brazilian players. 

Spain allows South American players to get Spanish citizenship after 2 years of residency but the non-EU limits apply until then. 

Germany and the Netherlands have no foreign player restrictions. 

Pretty sure Belgium is open as well. 

Your best bet is going to be starting a save with all of the lose leagues loaded (top division only) and reading through the individual league rules pages. They might have funky elements to the restrictions. 

On 11/01/2020 at 04:01, 3rik said:

There is always a reason that the money is disappearing. FM doesn't have a "club corruption" mechanism where the chairman is funneling funds out.... although it 100% should for realism purposes. Looks at the Debts and Loans screen and dive into the Expenditures. There will be something in there somewhere. Maybe you are paying interest on a big loan. Maybe you are paying high rent on the stadium. A quick peak in the editor and it looks like the club has an outstanding debt of 8m. Have you noted the payments on that? 

Meant to actually reply to the thread. 

South American has become one of my FM "happy places". I don't think I ventured outside of Europe in FM until about FM16 or 17. I kinda randomly tried Colombia and Mexico, and I really enjoyed both. I have a few saves with Envigado, a funny little club with a heavy focus on talent development. They bring through great newgens. Plus they have this funky half-stadium that is actually decently replicated in FM. 

Brazil has become one of my favorite places. I've quite fallen for the club Atletico Mineiro and have enjoyed saves with them on the last few versions. But they are a big club and the challenge in that regard is a bit minimized. Brazil is probably the "easiest" of the South American nations because of the combination of finances and talent production. The volume of matches you play means the quality young players absolutely have to play, and you can bring in tons of money selling them on to Europe. Domestic players all have release clauses and its pretty low for young players, so you can make a killing in the market if you seek those players out early. The foreign player rules are also a bit less restrictive in Brazil so  you can have fun grabbing young talent around the continent. 

Between Teach's Argentinos Juniors save and reading "Angels with Dirty Faces", I've wanted to do Argentina for a few  years. But when I've taken a look at teams, they always seems a bit too big or a bit... not right. I just have to find the club that really appeals, but that probably means I need to stop trying to find the "perfect" club there. 

12 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Portugal has special rules for Brazilian players. 

Spain allows South American players to get Spanish citizenship after 2 years of residency but the non-EU limits apply until then. 

Germany and the Netherlands have no foreign player restrictions. 

Pretty sure Belgium is open as well. 

Your best bet is going to be starting a save with all of the lose leagues loaded (top division only) and reading through the individual league rules pages. They might have funky elements to the restrictions. 

Thanks for the reply. I knew about the Brazilians in Portugal and had been checking up on the three non-EU aspect in Spain. But you're right, the best way will be load up a test game with those leagues loaded and check the league rules of each. For example, looking at the squads in Spain isn't much good without being able to see the HG status of those South Americans already there. It's only then that I will find how many 'available slots' are left at the individual clubs.

Germany is quite tolerant, Belgium too. The Netherlands is largely relaxed but I do recall a few years ago that I took on a club there and had to pay non-EU players a minimum of £7500 per week, which caused a massive issue on the African youngsters I was trying to bring in for development. The better Argentinians would generally be OK on this kind of wage so it's more about numbers. There aren't any countries that seem to give Argentinians a concession (like France & Spain with Cotonou, Finland with African & Caribbean etc.)  unless it's by heritage and second nationality, which is a shame.

It's been years since I managed in South America (Santos IIRC) but might have to give it a try. Flamengo is an obvious one to ease in to it gently now I have the kits & real name fix for Brazil, but there are more challenging ones that might tempt me. For something more interesting, the Argentinian league might be the one to go for, but the choice will be hard as so may appealing teams to pick there. I found kit packs for Chile and Uruguay too, but they would still be outsiders! I will read up on the foreign player limits in Europe and South America and go from there.

I know it's North America, but Mexico might be another to consider. Though the fact that I haven't been able to find a kit pack for Liga MX yet (randomly have one for the second tier Ascenso) would put me off. I only saw the added Canadian Premier League option a few days ago (and it comes with kits and logos) but the quality of player there is pretty poor.

13 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Meant to actually reply to the thread. 

South American has become one of my FM "happy places". I don't think I ventured outside of Europe in FM until about FM16 or 17. I kinda randomly tried Colombia and Mexico, and I really enjoyed both. I have a few saves with Envigado, a funny little club with a heavy focus on talent development. They bring through great newgens. Plus they have this funky half-stadium that is actually decently replicated in FM. 

Brazil has become one of my favorite places. I've quite fallen for the club Atletico Mineiro and have enjoyed saves with them on the last few versions. But they are a big club and the challenge in that regard is a bit minimized. Brazil is probably the "easiest" of the South American nations because of the combination of finances and talent production. The volume of matches you play means the quality young players absolutely have to play, and you can bring in tons of money selling them on to Europe. Domestic players all have release clauses and its pretty low for young players, so you can make a killing in the market if you seek those players out early. The foreign player rules are also a bit less restrictive in Brazil so  you can have fun grabbing young talent around the continent. 

Between Teach's Argentinos Juniors save and reading "Angels with Dirty Faces", I've wanted to do Argentina for a few  years. But when I've taken a look at teams, they always seems a bit too big or a bit... not right. I just have to find the club that really appeals, but that probably means I need to stop trying to find the "perfect" club there. 

I know what you mean. The big five in Argentina (Boca, River, Racing, Independiente, San Lorenzo) are all very appealing, but at the same time you want to build something from a lower starting point. I think the Rosario or La Plata clubs could be interesting. 

I went with Cerro Porteno in Paraguay. I'd like to see how far a club from outside the more established leagues can go with an emphasis on youth development. The facilities and youth coaching are already good at Cerro; I just need to find a way to address the financial issues so I can keep investing in it. Not sure selling players will do it with the fairly low values my players have been given. 

4 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Thanks for the reply. I knew about the Brazilians in Portugal and had been checking up on the three non-EU aspect in Spain. But you're right, the best way will be load up a test game with those leagues loaded and check the league rules of each. For example, looking at the squads in Spain isn't much good without being able to see the HG status of those South Americans already there. It's only then that I will find how many 'available slots' are left at the individual clubs.

Germany is quite tolerant, Belgium too. The Netherlands is largely relaxed but I do recall a few years ago that I took on a club there and had to pay non-EU players a minimum of £7500 per week, which caused a massive issue on the African youngsters I was trying to bring in for development. The better Argentinians would generally be OK on this kind of wage so it's more about numbers. There aren't any countries that seem to give Argentinians a concession (like France & Spain with Cotonou, Finland with African & Caribbean etc.)  unless it's by heritage and second nationality, which is a shame.

It's been years since I managed in South America (Santos IIRC) but might have to give it a try. Flamengo is an obvious one to ease in to it gently now I have the kits & real name fix for Brazil, but there are more challenging ones that might tempt me. For something more interesting, the Argentinian league might be the one to go for, but the choice will be hard as so may appealing teams to pick there. I found kit packs for Chile and Uruguay too, but they would still be outsiders! I will read up on the foreign player limits in Europe and South America and go from there.

I know it's North America, but Mexico might be another to consider. Though the fact that I haven't been able to find a kit pack for Liga MX yet (randomly have one for the second tier Ascenso) would put me off. I only saw the added Canadian Premier League option a few days ago (and it comes with kits and logos) but the quality of player there is pretty poor.

I had a look at the rules for The Netherlands are you are right on the wage limit. It depends on their age, but its there. Must be fairly new - haven't had a long-term save on the Eredivisie since about FM18. 

Mexico is where I'm managing right now. I'm running Oaxaca, a small 2nd division. Squad-building is... unique. I enjoy Liga MX but they have added some rules in the past couple of seasons. They still have the 9 "Natural Born" Mexican players in the match day squad requirement. They have now limited the total amount of non-NB players you can register and also added requirement that every club must play U21 players for a total of 1000 minutes over the half-season or face a point deduction. Pretty sure there is a kid pack out there somewhere for Liga MX cuz I have one - just don't remember where I downloaded it. 

At some point, I want to take a step down in Brazil and try to build up a smaller club - Paysandu (like Cleon) or similar. Building Chapo back up would be intriguing as well. 

3 hours ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

I know what you mean. The big five in Argentina (Boca, River, Racing, Independiente, San Lorenzo) are all very appealing, but at the same time you want to build something from a lower starting point. I think the Rosario or La Plata clubs could be interesting. 

I went with Cerro Porteno in Paraguay. I'd like to see how far a club from outside the more established leagues can go with an emphasis on youth development. The facilities and youth coaching are already good at Cerro; I just need to find a way to address the financial issues so I can keep investing in it. Not sure selling players will do it with the fairly low values my players have been given. 

The history of those big clubs is amazing. But at the same time, the structure makes success a quicker chase. Its definitely not the worst way to get into managing on another continent, though. I see it much like someone fairly new to FM - there is a really good chance they grab a big club in a big league. But as they get more familiar with the mechanics of the game, lower league and different challenges often become more appealing. Not everyone does it that way, and some stay with the bigger clubs, but its a fairly common progression. Similar with South america. 

Financial issues are pretty prevent in South America, regardless of league. Almost everyone relies on player sales to balance the books. I read somewhere that one of the reasons most leagues down there run so many fixtures is that its way to boost income. Individual match-day income generally isn't high, because the clubs can't charge big ticket prices. So they run a load of matches instead. 

1 hour ago, Bigpapa42 said:

I had a look at the rules for The Netherlands are you are right on the wage limit. It depends on their age, but its there. Must be fairly new - haven't had a long-term save on the Eredivisie since about FM18. 

Mexico is where I'm managing right now. I'm running Oaxaca, a small 2nd division. Squad-building is... unique. I enjoy Liga MX but they have added some rules in the past couple of seasons. They still have the 9 "Natural Born" Mexican players in the match day squad requirement. They have now limited the total amount of non-NB players you can register and also added requirement that every club must play U21 players for a total of 1000 minutes over the half-season or face a point deduction. Pretty sure there is a kid pack out there somewhere for Liga MX cuz I have one - just don't remember where I downloaded it. 

At some point, I want to take a step down in Brazil and try to build up a smaller club - Paysandu (like Cleon) or similar. Building Chapo back up would be intriguing as well. 

I read or heard something about the 1000 minutes rule only last week, but I don't think it was for Mexico (perhaps the Canadian Premier League operates that too). That and the NB rule adds an extra layer or two of difficulty! I took a peep at Oaxaca, maybe it's because I don't have Mexico loaded but all but one of their players is on loan (the exception being a GK). Was that the same for you when you started or do more players get added if you have Mexico loaded up? That team is in my kit pack as they are Ascenso but I will look in to South America again sometime.

3 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I read or heard something about the 1000 minutes rule only last week, but I don't think it was for Mexico (perhaps the Canadian Premier League operates that too). That and the NB rule adds an extra layer or two of difficulty! I took a peep at Oaxaca, maybe it's because I don't have Mexico loaded but all but one of their players is on loan (the exception being a GK). Was that the same for you when you started or do more players get added if you have Mexico loaded up? That team is in my kit pack as they are Ascenso but I will look in to South America again sometime.

Wouldn't be surprised if Canada emulated it. Its only been a rule in Mexico for this season, I think. Its not a bad way to push teams to give domestic youngsters a chance in the first team. it was all but impossible for me to meet this season in FM but down the road, it should get easier. 

I imagine you aren't able to see the full squad.... but that wouldn't change that dynamic much. There are maybe 10 players under contract to the club. The rest are on loan. Not abnormal in Mexico for clubs outside the big ones. Lobos BUAP were like that before they ceased to be a club. Oaxaca have an affiliation with Chivas to loads of young players on loan from there, but all poor and way too many of them are leftbacks. The squad being so heavily on-loan players is part of what I meant when I mentioned this save made for some unique squad building. 

The kits are honestly one of the best things about Mexico. They are so cool and creative. Appreciation of the Pumas kt was actually what drew me to manage there for the first on FM, about FM17 or 18. 

39 minutes ago, Bigpapa42 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Canada emulated it. Its only been a rule in Mexico for this season, I think. Its not a bad way to push teams to give domestic youngsters a chance in the first team. it was all but impossible for me to meet this season in FM but down the road, it should get easier. 

I imagine you aren't able to see the full squad.... but that wouldn't change that dynamic much. There are maybe 10 players under contract to the club. The rest are on loan. Not abnormal in Mexico for clubs outside the big ones. Lobos BUAP were like that before they ceased to be a club. Oaxaca have an affiliation with Chivas to loads of young players on loan from there, but all poor and way too many of them are leftbacks. The squad being so heavily on-loan players is part of what I meant when I mentioned this save made for some unique squad building. 

The kits are honestly one of the best things about Mexico. They are so cool and creative. Appreciation of the Pumas kt was actually what drew me to manage there for the first on FM, about FM17 or 18. 

I just found a Liga MX kit pack (made 7th January after I  found and added all my others). I'm going to have a look through some clubs during the next week and see if I am brave enough to start in Mexico or Argentina.

By the way, the view from the Monterrey stadium must be the most scenic in the world, just ahead of WSG Tirol in Austria for me. I know there are loads of candidates, but the Singapore floating stadium and those in Croatia can't compete IMHO. A superb modern stadium with an amazing view, who wouldn't want to manage that club? If it's me, I'm moving the dugout in to the middle of the stand behind the near end goal!

https://www.google.com/search?q=monterrey+stadium&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB880GB880&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjq9K3k4JDnAhXUQEEAHZT4CasQ_AUoAXoECBAQAw&biw=1536&bih=754#imgrc=LagFZ6v4npMcpM:

P.S. Sorry to the thread starter for so much North America (Mexico) chat. Are there any stadiums in Argentina with a view to match?

Edited by Jogo Bonito

On 19/01/2020 at 16:59, Jogo Bonito said:

I just found a Liga MX kit pack (made 7th January after I  found and added all my others). I'm going to have a look through some clubs during the next week and see if I am brave enough to start in Mexico or Argentina.

By the way, the view from the Monterrey stadium must be the most scenic in the world, just ahead of WSG Tirol in Austria for me. I know there are loads of candidates, but the Singapore floating stadium and those in Croatia can't compete IMHO. A superb modern stadium with an amazing view, who wouldn't want to manage that club? If it's me, I'm moving the dugout in to the middle of the stand behind the near end goal!

https://www.google.com/search?q=monterrey+stadium&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB880GB880&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjq9K3k4JDnAhXUQEEAHZT4CasQ_AUoAXoECBAQAw&biw=1536&bih=754#imgrc=LagFZ6v4npMcpM:

P.S. Sorry to the thread starter for so much North America (Mexico) chat. Are there any stadiums in Argentina with a view to match?

I'm not sure there is a stadium anywhere that compares to the view from Monterrey. Its pretty epic. 

Looking through Argentina, I don't see many that would compare. Estudientes La Plata play at Estadio Jorge Luis Hirschi, which looks  like it has a nice setting in pictures - but I think those are renders rather than actual pictures as the stadium is being redone. 

I agree, an amazing stadium in so many ways. I took a look at most of the stadiums in Argentina and they're mainly quite poor. However, the atmosphere at old school stadiums can be as good or better. I'll post again in here if I find a club in either Mexico or Argentina but I've still got so may clubs and players to manage before the new database comes out!

Started in Brazil's second division (Série B) with Bragantino, just because I'm excited with the prospect of Red Bull Bragantino this year and I'm doing fine.

Ditched most of the loaned players and brought in a couple of free agents and bargains, maximum 200k Euros spent in a player as you don't need to break that barrier to succeed in Série B, Finished fourth in Série B in my debut season, sold the unused first team players and spent more having the Série A in mind.

Currently I'm in 8th despite some rough times after 29 matches, ahead of some big teams like Grêmio and Corinthians, and with 19 points ahead of the relegation zone, I'm on my way to please the board again.

I'm still having big problems with no clubs bidding for my players and I don't want to push them ut of the club but soon I have to start offering players to clubs to get som rotation in the squad. I'm going to check out the economy aswell with more in depth checks, at first glance I did not see anything other than a very small loan.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Brazilian/South American market @3rik, where is simply difficult to make the players circulate if you aren't loaning them out. Faced this reality with the Icelandic league in FM16 and found too frustrating to not being able to easily offload my players.

Most of the clubs have secure finances at best and little budgets, which doesn't give freedom to sign players. Only a few are in fact rich, but they already have too many players in their squads.

Best move is to look for China, USA, Russia and South Korea to sell average to good Brazilian players, while I think the Western part of South America have better chances of selling to more expressive markets.

If the Chilean league doesn't have any foreigner limits, there are quite a lot of incredible prospects to give a good look in Brazil and Argentina.

If you're short on funds, Nicolás Leguizamón is a good young striker who's ready to go. Got him from Colón for 425K Euros, kept him for three seasons and then sold for 7.5M.

Start looking for transfer listed players and cheap prospects in the first season, then go for those with expiring contracts, there are some good deals waiting if you can survive the debut season.

• 1 month later...

Can recommend Nacional de Montevideo as a fun game to get started with in South America. One of Uruguay’s big two. My first season was a struggle with a mixture of lots of veterans but also some good young prospects. I eventually won the title, pipping Peñarol and had a decent run in the Libertadores getting edged out by Sao Paolo in the first knockout.

However, second season is a different story. I’ve strengthened considerably (without spending a penny), got rid of the oldies and have opened up a big gap at the top of the league and also knocked out Corinthians and Palmeiras to make the Libertadores semi final where Flamengo await. Great fun so far. 

A random player that I think could do well for a lot of South American sides is Andrés Robles. He's not THAT special but he plays for a brazilian non-league team, Água Santa, and is easy and cheap to get. I got him for Wisla on Poland for free as his contract runs out on April 2020 and he's a pretty decent ball-playing defender and halfback. He even has a cap for Chile.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2020 at 21:20, djennings1301 said:

How does everyone set up their South American saves in terms of leagues loaded, playable vs view-only, database size, etc.?

I just loaded all the South American leagues plus Mexico and the US. However I think I may have messed up by not having the major European leagues in the background as none of my players are ever targeted by European teams. A blessing and a curse I suppose. 

Meanwhile it was heartbreak for my Nacional team. Put together quite a team over my three years there, cherrypicking the best Uruguayan talent and winning the league each year including one unbeaten campaign. However in my final season I got all the way to the Libertadores final (improving on a semi final the year before). The game was played at Montevideo’s Estadio Centenario. We played Palmeiras from Brazil and took a 2-0 first half lead and were comfortable until they got one back in the 70th minutes. Then, with ten seconds left they struck an equaliser and eventually beat us on penalties. So heartbreaking to see the trophy slip away like that. Given my small budget compared to the Brazilian teams in particular, I decided it was time to take on a new challenge, leaving Nacional with a talented young team and another three league titles, as well as the final appearance. So I’ve hopped across the River Plate and taken over Independiente who are currently languishing in mid-table .

Edited by Chrismatthews16

1 hour ago, Chrismatthews16 said:

However I think I may have messed up by not having the major European leagues in the background as none of my players are ever targeted by European teams. A blessing and a curse I suppose. 

You can add them now? Even if you're already few seasons in.

5 hours ago, quee said:

You can add them now? Even if you're already few seasons in.

Bit concerned about laptop speed but think I’ll have to just to make it more authentic with talented younger players wanted by the big boys. Any idea if the leagues can be changed to background mode once added later on?

20 minutes ago, Chrismatthews16 said:

Bit concerned about laptop speed but think I’ll have to just to make it more authentic with talented younger players wanted by the big boys. Any idea if the leagues can be changed to background mode once added later on?

Yup, I believed you can. Even straight away you can put them on view-only mode when adding them.

• 1 month later...

Hello! I've just recently purchased FM20 and wanted to do a career that is a bit different to what I normally end up doing (I've only ever managed once outside of England and Scotland in all of the football management games I've ever played, which is a lot I tell you - how crazy is that??). I had the idea of a career in South America and then found this thread!

Initially I thought Brazil, then switched to Argentina, then back to Brazil again! After much deliberation I've settled on my choice of club...Cruzeiro.

Relegated at the end of the 2018 season to Serie B (first time in their near 100 year history!), their season was blighted by financial trouble and corruption, ultimately ending with relegation. They are one of the most successful teams in the history of Brazilian football, so what better way to start my managerial career than by getting this club back to where it belongs.

Really excited to do a completely different (and refreshing) career on FM20.

• 2 weeks later...

Had some issues with my PC (hopefully resolved now) meaning I haven't got started yet on my South American career. Ready to go now but might start in December 2018 instead. I usually start with the first transfer window disabled, but does anyone know what that means in Brazil? I noted this from another site about Brazilian transfer windows:

Transfer windows & restrictions: (1) 29 December 2018 to 06 September 2019 (domestic transfers only), (2) 01 January to 30 April 2019 (foreign transfers only) and 12 July to 15 August 2019 (foreign transfers only)

Anyone know what window(s) would be 'closed'? Both the first domestic and foreign? Just domestic? Just foreign??

Cheers!