Half-Back

4 minutes ago, Corperate said:

Hi All,

Is the half back role to be used in conjunction with Stopper Center backs. Have found some success using Dier in this role with 2 stoppers in a 41212 formation.

Let me know your thoughts!!!

id say its more the case its for when you have attack minded full backs

half back drops between 2 centre backs giving you a back 3

It transforms what is a 4-1-4-1 (as the game calls it, visually a 4-1-2-3) into more of a 3-4-3 in possession

im sure stoppers could be used in conjunction but not sure of the effect

I have only had consistent success with stopper/cover center backs in a 3-man back line. Half back, conceivably, shields just in front of your back line (or even with them). To me, a stopper partnered with half back would defend the same area of space, inevitably opening up space somewhere else.

Edited by s0ni42

If you're going to cover behind a half back surely you can defend normally behind a normal defensive mid? The gap would be the same. The point is to position them close together and compress the same area of space. CB steps out and HB can easily drop in. Also means CB is less likely to charge out to central areas your HB has covered, while not limiting aggressive actions into the wide areas behind the advanced fullbacks.

9 minutes ago, Corperate said:

My interpretation is when the CBs (on stopper) charge out,  the half back drops deeper to cover this.

Good point. My experience is that half back never quite gets that far back. But, as mentioned, have not attempted that partnership

45 minutos atrás, s0ni42 disse:

Good point. My experience is that half back never quite gets that far back. But, as mentioned, have not attempted that partnership

Agreed. One thing I like is having 3atb when in offensive organisation with the half back staying with the 2 centrebacks. Instead he only drops deep in the build up play than behaves like a normal DM. Jorge Jesus' Flamengo this season has been playing like that every game. I think the HB role applies to something like this year Liverpool where Fabinho drops in the build up play but goes forward when in attack.

Edit: And the other thing is that HB movement is only available in DM and plus you only really see him dropping between the CB if he is on the middle. If we want to defend in a 442 we can't have that kind of movement I think.

Edited by drigaco

I often play either with a cv-stopper in a 4-4-2 or the HB in a 4-3-3 with attacking fb,s. I’d always felt the two roles could clash if used together so interested to hear if people are utilising both.

On 22/11/2019 at 12:06, FMunderachiever said:

id say its more the case its for when you have attack minded full backs

half back drops between 2 centre backs giving you a back 3

It transforms what is a 4-1-4-1 (as the game calls it, visually a 4-1-2-3) into more of a 3-4-3 in possession

im sure stoppers could be used in conjunction but not sure of the effect

I haven't used a HB very much in FM20 yet, but that pretty much sums up how I used it and what I saw last year. I can't imagine wanting to use it with a back three, given the alternatives. Use a central stopper and more assertive midfielders.