Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

3 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

I have a fun with gradually creating a top-crew from Kaiserslautern, but FM still not a good for journeyman save.
IMO manager of football club have no much power as Alex Ferguson or Wenger. But we have the same in FM20 yet.
It needs more power for DoF and Board's activity. Possibly it could be like classic mode and modern mode because part of player want to keep a spirit of classic FM.

Don't think everybody would enjoy this though. Some people want to have control of everything. It may not be totally realistic but I like how FM gives you the choice.

I often delegate stuff that a real life DoF would do to my DoF in the game, such as hiring and firing academy staff. I also let my youth development manager renew the U18s contracts. 

At least FM gives you the option to set it up how you want. If a lot of it was done already by the game without being able to turn it off, it would put off a lot of people.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Have regen faces changed? They seem a little darker and 'wax-like' all of a sudden

I have the same issue since last update, sometimes my regen faces have a zombie / colour.

Other small issue , maybe already reported. Most of the time, one of my eleven opponents have a different outfit .. so ten players in red/white, one in blue.

Just now, OlivierL said:

Most of the time, one of my eleven opponents have a different outfit .. so ten players in red/white, one in blue.

That sounds like the keeper. :brock:

I assume you mean 9 outfield players with the 10th in a different kit?

12 dakika önce, GOODNAME said:

So the SI teams admit about the problems about balls over the top and missed 1 on 1 situations and working on a fix

i wonder the fix will be at March (Jan update) of before?

I think there will be no ME fix until March. They have published 17.2 / 18.2 / 19.2 in December for the last 4-5 years and then no ME fix until March.

15 minutes ago, akinozcan said:

I think there will be no ME fix until March. They have published 17.2 / 18.2 / 19.2 in December for the last 4-5 years and then no ME fix until March.

Unless there's a gamebreaking issue with the ME that requires a hotfix, which there isn't. 

2 часа назад, TheInvisibleMan сказал:

I often delegate stuff that a real life DoF would do to my DoF in the game, such as hiring and firing academy staff. I also let my youth development manager renew the U18s contracts. 

Its not enough functions for me. For example I need to play 1-2 season in first club of journeyman save. Its low league and I dont want to play deep in management. But I can't ask a DoF for hire 1GK coach, 2 fitness coaches, 1 coach for Defence etc. And I can't set DoF to hire players which workrate >13, passing >11 etc (just example). So I need to control DoF decisions and it just like AI assistant only

2 часа назад, TheInvisibleMan сказал:

Don't think everybody would enjoy this though. Some people want to have control of everything. It may not be totally realistic but I like how FM gives you the choice.

So you preffered to ignore my 'Possibly it could be like classic mode and modern mode because part of player want to keep a spirit of classic FM' :) 

Edited by Novem9

3 dakika önce, Johnny Ace said:

I hope so, the last update seemed like an "emergency" patch to fix a few things, seemed earlier than usual for a big update

Thinking the same. It’s like a hotfix for gamebreaking issues. In bugs section there is a lot of threads about 1v1s, underperforming strikers, long balls, defensive movement etc. 

So i think we should and will get an update.

With a few good change, the ME can be the best ever.

5 hours ago, roykela said:

And here he's at it again in my latest match. Some dubious defending though:

That's also one from some actually half-decent angle. Due to the flawed defending in parts, and the sheer too high frequency, a  lot (mind not all) of one on ones that happen are still finished from really really tough angles rather than anywhere close to the central of the box. During some of those, all the keeper has to do is sticking his arm out -- hopefully the impact of the angle is understood by SI when patching this. Scoring 1 in 5-6 of those wouldn't Sound out of whack if patched. I'm tempted to do my Experiment again how often stuff in actually space is getting converted. Prior to the patch it was actually slightly above 50%. That is longer term over dozens attempts. Obviously there were short-term streaks of 4-5 not being converted in there. And yes, I've counted. :D 

As to the flawed defending -- some of it seems connected to the player reaction to through / loose balls in General. This may explain why SI would like to take their time patching this. (Players) Defenders on the occasion are slow as molasses when they turn. Tuning this may create all kinds of knock-ons all over the pitch and during many stages of play, and not merely improve the reaction to the long balls played. And with it in turn creating issues that didn't exist or weren't as pronounced before. 

Edited by Svenc

56 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Is there still an option to select what formation the under 21's/under 18's use?

Yes. If you go to the development centre. Then click on the team drop down menu at the top, then tactics. You can select the tactic that they play just above the team line-up.

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 20.16.35.png

39 minutes ago, TheInvisibleMan said:

Yes. If you go to the development centre. Then click on the team drop down menu at the top, then tactics. You can select the tactic that they play just above the team line-up.

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 20.16.35.png

Seems like if you set yourself to do any of the training for them, you lose this option for some reason.

0ggfzlT.png

NS57XFN.png

@Seb Wassell this a bug? or meant to be like this?

On 09/12/2019 at 01:33, Svenc said:

ON a slightly different note, how is this supported on these boards? That's not defending the match engine. But it speaks to reason that stuff like that would further highlight any possible ME issue and then some. People expect to consistently tear defenses a new one (and to see some beautiful Football), and then they d'l tactics that force the opposition to cover the vast area the size of about a closet.

Then again, why does the game allow it, given its subject matter. :D 

6cPBNUZ.png

I know this post is a few days old, but I remembered this screenshot and wanted to respond to it.  I'd love to get the AI to cover a space bigger than a closet.  My dude has the ball on the left wing near the corner flag from open play.  There isn't a defender within 25 yards of him, conservatively.  What there are are seven defenders in or within one step of the six-yard box to mark three players:

image.thumb.png.40701cf23341b43e3bb89270da4d1e6a.png

This is after a long passage of open play, not a set piece.  I have one player just outside the screenshot, up and behind the referee at the edge.  He's not marked, obviously.  Tierney's pass went to #2 there at the corner of the six yard box, who isn't marked.  Here's another one:

image.thumb.png.56bc8f67d745f4e47434e8b7677b347b.png

That's one striker, tightly marked by three defenders, with a pass aimed across to the fullback on the opposite side.   I'm playing away against the team that's 5th in the league in February.  I don't have the biggest reputation in the league.  In our previous five (I think) meetings, their record is P5 W0 D4 L1.  It's not like they should be shutting up shop and hoping for a draw, yet that's how they're choosing to play, with what looks like a flat back five and two DMs.  They can't get the ball out of their own half, even with direct balls - their lone striker is completely isolated, and even when he wins a header there's no one to pick it up.  In a way, it's kind of great - it means I'm unlikely to ever lose, since most teams in the league don't even try to attack.  If I can avoid giving away corners and penalties, I don't feel like I'll ever concede. 

Results are bearing that out.  I don't have the best squad in the league, but I'm unbeaten into February.  I have six draws, five of which are 0-0, and I've conceded 9 goals in 28 games.  And the above AI tactics seem like why, not because of what I'm doing.

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

6 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

That sounds like the keeper. :brock:

I assume you mean 9 outfield players with the 10th in a different kit?

haha my mistake. yes the 10th player :) he looks like the captain of a volleybal team.

ef486d7917d1810f65a6244cebe7f963.png

the one in blue/grey is not the referee :)

Edited by OlivierL

image.thumb.png.6b46de392fa2e3cd7712b3a5b29d4988.png

This seemingly does nothing. It sometimes stops 3 times within 1 game day, and theres no important news. Unsubbed from everything in the social feed, but still does it.

Had to use the auto continue option

Specs are an RTX 2080 and a 3700x before someone says its my PC. Running on a Samsung 970 EVO NVME SSD too.

Edited by Lashley

23 hours ago, Svenc said:

Definitely. THen again that could only happen if the tactical combinations would be all realistic. There are too many that make it incredibly easy for a packed defense to foul, deflect and clear……. :D

Btw, somebody had uploaded a great pkm in the bug sections showing a bit of both. It was a "tons of SOT target match with Little Goals", naturally.

- Frustration from the 1vs 1 (lots of them, and oft poorly defended Long balls)

- Frustration from the set piece.

The shot map in parts Looks almost like a Mirror Image of similar Matches pre-patch. 

- Not all, but quite a number of one on ones finished from either tight angles or Yards out (unlike most of These)
- Almost all of the SOT from actually premium zones centrally in front of the box being the perennial pressured Header from the freekick, Corner, throw-in (blue dots). This also hurts shot on target conversion, Always has.

zebw5OZ.png

This BOTH Needs watching, though the set piece is the longer term stuff and was going on way before FM20. 

The fact that a player wouldn't be expected to finish from these angles isn't the issue though, it's why they are attempting the shot from there. Players try to work a better angle for themselves in rl, not blast away regardless. So why aren't these forwards who have been set free on goal working a better angle, or looking for teammates better placed. Those are the issues causing people so much frsutration. 

6 hours ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

True. 

Sure it's a problem, but sometimes they score.

Strangely when they were offside they have 100% conversion. 

That's not true though, I've seen plenty of missed chances that were called back for offside. :)

I'm in the final stretch of my first season down in the Vanarama National North, about half played before the latest patch and half played with the latest patch.

General feedback

- This might be the most fun I've had in a season of football manager. I'm really liking the latest match engine overall, although I despised the match engine before this. I see a lot of variety in goals, lots of variety in play.

- I've been reading here some of the comments about how tactics don't impact the game enough, but I'm not finding that to be the case for me. My changes seem to have a significant impact on the match, and I feel like I can build a team how I'd like and make it work. 

- The only exception to this would be having a speedy CD on Cover in your back four. I can't imagine playing without this with this match engine. With it, we've dramatically reduced our opponents' ability to score using balls over the top.

Things that could be better

- Number of balls over the top and conversion rates. I can live with things now, as the game usually has a lot of 1v1s and some of them score, so overall the impact on the game seems about the same as if there were fewer 1v1s and more highly converted. But yeah, it'd be nice to see this addressed.

- Just going on my own keeper's match ratings, I wonder if goalkeeper ratings are too low, or perhaps dependent on passing more than they should be? Our keeper has certainly performed well this year, but has a rating of about 6.6.

- Sounds are kind of messed up in my game. Random dribbling sounds at various points in the match. Cheering timing seems to be off on occasion as well. I've had sounds cut out after making subs, etc.

- Other minor bugs

- Match video drops to below 60FPS and stutters unless I'm running OBS. With OBS the engine stays dialed in at 60FPS and never changes. So now I always run OBS when I play and everything is fine. Not the best solution but it works.

Overall though, I'm having a wonderful time with the game. Thanks for everyone's hard work!

Edited by Zilla Blitz

Just a question:

I won the FA Cup, it gave out the medals. It gave a medal to a player who is on loan with another team. Is that correct/ working as intended? He never played an FA Cup game with me, so it seems funny that he gets an FA Cup winners medal even though he's been KO'd on loan with a non-winning team.

50 minutes ago, Zilla Blitz said:

- Sounds are kind of messed up in my game. Random dribbling sounds at various points in the match. Cheering timing seems to be off on occasion as well. I've had sounds cut out after making subs, etc.

I reported this bug about a week ago.

I haven't been able to get on to try the suggested fix yet. See if it works for you.

16 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

some Streaming Software...

Sorry, yes. OBS is free software that allows you to record video of games. For whatever reason, I get a rock solid 60 FPS in FM when OBS is running in the background, but frequent noticeable drops in FPS when it's not.

I'd recommend giving it a try if you've got stuttering that shouldn't be happening with a good machine, and you've tried all the other fixes.

Edited by Zilla Blitz

6 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

It's not like they should be shutting up shop and hoping for a draw, yet that's how they're choosing to play, with what looks like a flat back five and two DMs.  They can't get the ball out of their own half, even with direct balls - their lone striker is completely isolated, and even when he wins a header there's no one to pick it up.  In a way, it's kind of great - it means I'm unlikely to ever lose, since most teams in the league don't even try to attack.  If I can avoid giving away corners and penalties, I don't feel like I'll ever concede. 

Results are bearing that out.  I don't have the best squad in the league, but I'm unbeaten into February.  I have six draws, five of which are 0-0, and I've conceded 9 goals in 28 games.  And the above AI tactics seem like why, not because of what I'm doing.

As a followup to this, I've played two league games and am in a cup game now since this post.  I've played against a 4-2DM-3-1, a 4-2-3-1 Deep (2 DMs, a CM and wide midfielders rather than wide forwards/wingers), and a 5-2-2-1 Deep (flat back 5, 2 DM, wide midfielders).  Granted, none of these teams are great.  But man it's not a great gameplay experience feeling like, wherever I put my players on the pitch there're going to be nine defenders in the box all the time.

Really wasn't on board with the home game breaking thing, my teams struggled with 1v1s the entire save but tried to work past it. Completely taking the **** now, I know the CC isn't always accurate but all of these were 1v1, a healthy mix of a ball to set them through on the keeper, a through ball that was struck first time in the box, cut backs to an unmarked player in the box, every single one side footed at the keeper, he got a ridiculous 8.7 rating but none of the saves were outstanding. I'm in the play offs, they are bottom of the league and can't buy a result.

my 2 goals - i mental and unexplainable own goal and a long shot ( obviously)

their 2 - my team stood like zombies from a throw in, bunched in the box and then missed 2/3 chances to clear resulting in an easy loose ball.

Something is seriously wrong when you can't win by trying to replicate football, you need to try and get midfielders to get a first time volley on the angle if you want to score.

1541868303_1vs1nonsense.thumb.JPG.0cd907302c394aea4c76c32269516f03.JPG

1 minute ago, steviemay17 said:

Really wasn't on board with the home game breaking thing, my teams struggled with 1v1s the entire save but tried to work past it. Completely taking the **** now, I know the CC isn't always accurate but all of these were 1v1, a healthy mix of a ball to set them through on the keeper, a through ball that was struck first time in the box, cut backs to an unmarked player in the box, every single one side footed at the keeper, he got a ridiculous 8.7 rating but none of the saves were outstanding. I'm in the play offs, they are bottom of the league and can't buy a result.

my 2 goals - i mental and unexplainable own goal and a long shot ( obviously)

their 2 - my team stood like zombies from a throw in, bunched in the box and then missed 2/3 chances to clear resulting in an easy loose ball.

Something is seriously wrong when you can't win by trying to replicate football, you need to try and get midfielders to get a first time volley on the angle if you want to score.

1541868303_1vs1nonsense.thumb.JPG.0cd907302c394aea4c76c32269516f03.JPG

If anyone knows what they are doing with this, perhaps you can see if from a different point of view and see if it's normal or not

Annan v Peterhead 1vs1 piss take.pkm

51 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

If anyone knows what they are doing with this, perhaps you can see if from a different point of view and see if it's normal or not

Annan v Peterhead 1vs1 **** take.pkm 92.04 kB · 1 download

I've done it for the first half for Annan, but stopped, as it fits the General trend just fine. Without going into tactics (it seems that both Central guys seem to be pushing Forward alongside to everybody oftenly, be that AI or Player managed.)

There is virtualy Nothing created from actual Play in central premium positions. It's all the perennial Header under pressure in a jam pack boxed and similar from the set piece (throw-in, free kick, Corner). (Blue dots)
Additionally, the situations that could be classed as one on oneish are taken from tight angles, as the widish guys are so easily played to  behind the lines. (red dots). I personally don't class These here 1vs1s, as there's immediately a Defender near, but it figures.

This is the first half from this match (blue dots, as argued, the perennial Headers from the set piece etc. ; red the one on onish):

hgsFaG8.png

That said, the second half is seems interesting, as there are a couple more central ones, including Right near the end of the match. Expecting a Goal to be scored here is Logical. However some of it also Highlights how deliberate SI's Definition of a CCC is -- there are Situation in which the Forward is absolutely circled by defenders and where it would be a challenge to not see the shot blocked marked as CCC.Will surely be interesting how Things behave after patched… the defending that sees the widish guys in particular through so easily must be addressed anyway. In General, the last lines mustn't be breached this easily. 

It makes sense though that Feedback varies so much on this.

- The AI cannot "read" a match
- In particular coupled with high lines and aggressive Engagement, there may be a big time Influx of such Scenarios. How much you are going to see this depends on the AI Manager traits in your league
- A human Manager would try to rectify. The AI cannot

Edited by Svenc

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No. This also Looks Closer to the ones that were finished at 50/50 rates (Long-term over dozens) pre-patch though. Video again.

Central Position of the box. Check.
Decent angle. Check.
No much Defender nearby (time and actually space). Check.
The reason of which in yours Looks actually Buggy, as the CB briefly stops and Gifts the guy Yards of acceleration space. But still, when he gets into the box, he is in tons of actual space with nobody near.

We should really start making distinctions here, rather than treading all that stuff equal. For realism's sake and Long-term robustness of the ME, I pray SI do. It wouldn't be a first where the bigger issue was About a specific Kind of on one, rather than them all. 

Edited by Svenc

16 hours ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

True. 

Sure it's a problem, but sometimes they score.

Strangely when they were offside they have 100% conversion. 

I had 1 striker at my old club he scored 4 goals all season. All in the same game weirdly enough. He had a Conservative guesstimate of 15 goals disallowed for offside. Got to the point where if he did score I knew it was already an offside. Poor lad was allegedly my best striker too. 

My current striker has been banging 1 on 1s in at my latest club but probably because he gets 4 or 5 of them a match. 

I'm 16 games into a 34 game season I'm top and it's been a season of 8 games then 8 games, being incredibly distinct. 

First 8 games, games were end to end with both AI and me attempting to win the game. Most games had plenty of chances and I won 6 and drew 2. Every game had goals and I was loving. I even came back from 2 down to win 3-2!

Last 8 games. I've won all 8 in soulless 1 and 2 nil victories. Yes I haven't conceded in 8 games. But this is purely because the AI has seemingly taken its ball home and refuses to take anymore than 1 or 2 men out of its own 18 yard box. So most games involve me having 10-15 shots. 1 or 2 CCC's and the AI having 1 maybe 2 shots all game. 

Yes games like this happen IRL but they are notable because they are so rare. Newcastle v Man City or Bournemouth v Man City spring to mind. In most football matches IRL most teams at least attempt to win the matches. Where as in FM most sides just attempt to not get beaten too badly. The bottom 6 in the league are averaging 0.2-05 goals per game. I'm not even averaging 2 and I've scored the most in the league. 

Edited by kiwityke1983

The defenders (specially top defenders) randomly not reacting to the long balls allowing one on one to the inferior strikers is the single biggest disappointment at the moment. Yes, the high DL needs to be punished but it should look natural. Currently it looks as though the defenders are re-tard-ed which is main source of frustration.

Edited by pats

1 hour ago, pats said:

The defenders (specially top defenders) randomly not reacting to the long balls allowing one on one to the inferior strikers is the single biggest disappointment at the moment. Yes, the high DL needs to be punished but it should look natural. Currently it looks as though the defenders are re-tard-ed which is main source of frustration.

Is that not more an animation issue? Something that has plagued the 3D engine since it was introduced. 

36 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Is that not more an animation issue? Something that has plagued the 3D engine since it was introduced. 

I really doubt. Same could then be said about most issues. How many 1on1's are there on average in game? Its a known issue, they are working on it, hopefully we will have it fixed soon. 

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

Oh I so enjoy this that I want to smoke :D 

Holy crap the defending movement on that gave me the jeepers. What is that LCB doing? why does he cover left back come back, stand next to the RCB and then go into DM. Wtaf!! Good goal though not taking anything away xD

2 минуты назад, BigV сказал:

Holy crap the defending movement on that gave me the jeepers. What is that LCB doing? why does he cover left back come back, stand next to the RCB and then go into DM. Wtaf!! Good goal though not taking anything away xD

¯\_(ツ)_/¯