Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

5 hours ago, Nazdravanix said:

I'm confident of there being a ME patch before March. SI have acknowledged "issues" with the match engine that they aren't currently happy with and I would expect a small update before the winter transfer one. 

Don't be, I think they wont release a patch before the winter transfer window, even though we all know the game need one ASAP.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
4 hours ago, esca said:

Noticed a new nightly build in steamdb. Hopefully new ME patch coming soon! :rolleyes:

We do new nightly builds pretty much every day for testing, so wouldn't use that as a indicator of anything.

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

We do new nightly builds pretty much every day for testing, so wouldn't use that as a indicator of anything.

Is there at least any news of any possible new patches coming though to address the concerns? I mean right now I've no idea what the state of play is yet you've basically publicly acknowledged public concern, yet nothing has happened on that front yet.  Am I going to receive an update to a game I currently perceive as broken anytime soon or not?

I'll reiterate, as it stands right now you've lost my future custom.

Edited by Martini1991

I just started playing after a month of frustration with the ME and I can't believe I'm saying this but

1. My striker actually scored!
  2. With a header!
  3. From a cross!

Keep up the good work, team!

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Martini1991 said:

Is there at least any news of any possible new patches coming though to address the concerns? I mean right now I've no idea what the state of play is yet you've basically publicly acknowledged public concern, yet nothing has happened on that front yet.  Am I going to receive an update to a game I currently perceive as broken anytime soon or not?

I'll reiterate, as it stands right now you've lost my future custom.

When we have any information in regards to anything we'll post it on these forums, however as a general rule we don't pre-announce hotfixes or updates due to the unpredictable nature of software development.  

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

When we have any information in regards to anything we'll post it on these forums, however as a general rule we don't pre-announce hotfixes or updates due to the unpredictable nature of software development.  

Thanks.

This can also be read as "We think the match engine is okay and won't be releasing an update any time soon".

If anything you've amplified my concern, and now I just feel like I'm stuck with a game I want to enjoy, but find impossible to.

38 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I've actually got my team playing something like football. That's entertaining. Creates and scores a variety of goals and doesn't concede too many. 

Dare I say it, I'm actually enjoying this build of the ME at the moment. 

I think this is what's making the existing issues so tough for a lot of people though. (imo) FM20 is overall pretty good. There's a lot of fun to be had, I think the 3D matches look pretty good and I've noticed things like the passing - specifically one-touch-play - is a lot better in FM20. You can create beautiful football. But then you're seeing issues (recognised by SI) which hampers a lot of the great stuff a lot of managers have put together. So it's kind of because people can see how good this game could be, that the impact of the scoring balance is so significant.

In your position, you've found something that does work and is still faithful to how you want to play - that's awesome. I think there's a whole heap of fun to be had in FM20. For the folks in here that aren't having as much - I hope SI can work something out. They're the experts!

1 hour ago, Martini1991 said:

This can also be read as "We think the match engine is okay and won't be releasing an update any time soon".

If anything you've amplified my concern, and now I just feel like I'm stuck with a game I want to enjoy, but find impossible to.

No it really cant be read as that at all ?!

whats the point in posting if you just make up your own answer ??

2 hours ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I've actually got my team playing something like football. That's entertaining. Creates and scores a variety of goals and doesn't concede too many. 

Dare I say it, I'm actually enjoying this build of the ME at the moment. 

I just did a livestream where my central defenders played like overlapping central defenders which was fun to watch.

The more I experiment with different roles and formations, the more I like this ME. Variations/possibilities are far superior to FM 19.

However, there is also valid reason for concern about some setups creating unrealistic football as well, that's for sure - if you don't see it in your game, there is plenty out there on youtube where people's attacking setups cause crazy amount of long balls leading to 1on1's that are mostly missed. 

I can certainly see this being a very difficult task for SI, but I'd like to think that it should be possible to reduce the long balls without diminishing the rest of the central play. I just really really don't want to end up with an ME too similar to FM 19 where there is no central play and no movement from strikers. That affects EVERY tactical setup, whereas the issue we have right now affects SOME setups.

Edited by bleventozturk

Also, some of those long balls actually look legit - not all of them are caused by the center backs reacting too late. When you push your defensive line up, press high up, you SHOULD be vulnerable to those type of attacks. Otherwise everybody will just push forward and press, just like in FM 19.

I think it would be an improvement though if we see less of the long ball attempts, and more attempts for counter attacks where ccc's are created at the end of 3-4 consecutive successful passes, instead of 1 hoofed ball or 1 player trying to dribble across the entire field. FM 17 was very good at that.

Edited by bleventozturk

32 minutes ago, Federico said:

I'd use those fingers to untap a bottle of beer my friend :)

Personally, I would be extremely surprised if they release anything before the Transfer deadline and not with the update as done before in every game historically.  The 'When is the patch out' posts usually started on 1st Feb, not 3rd Jan!

54 minutes ago, bleventozturk said:

Also, some of those long balls actually look legit - not all of them are caused by the center backs reacting too late. When you push your defensive line up, press high up, you SHOULD be vulnerable to those type of attacks. Otherwise everybody will just push forward and press, just like in FM 19.

I don't think anyone will disagree that. What bothers me most is the amount of them, always pin point accurate and my defenders reacting way to late. It's al about balance and I think it's just not right now. 

Edited by PhydomiR

1 hour ago, bleventozturk said:

The more I experiment with different roles and formations, the more I like this ME. Variations/possibilities are far superior to FM 19.

However, there is also valid reason for concern about some setups creating unrealistic football as well, that's for sure - if you don't see it in your game, there is plenty out there on youtube where people's attacking setups cause crazy amount of long balls leading to 1on1's that are mostly missed. 

I can certainly see this being a very difficult task for SI, but I'd like to think that it should be possible to reduce the long balls without diminishing the rest of the central play. I just really really don't want to end up with an ME too similar to FM 19 where there is no central play and no movement from strikers. That affects EVERY tactical setup, whereas the issue we have right now affects SOME setups.

4 minutes ago, PhydomiR said:

I don't think anyone will disagree that. What bothers me most is the amount of them, always pin point accurate and my defenders reacting way to late. It's al about balance and I think it's just not right now. 

Yep, getting the balance right is the issue. But when so many differing setups produce such differing outcomes it's very difficult. For example in my personal save; shifting from a full hard press to a split block has seen the long balls drop down massively. Or shifting the d line from high to standard depending on how fast their forwards are compared to my slower defender (though it's good to see a lack of defensive pace as a weakness once again)

Not sure if this qualifies as feedback or a new feature request....

I delegate training to my coaches both general & individual. Occasionally though there are things I would like a player to do more of or I want a player to train in a certain position / role within a position. I have liked the fact that this year you can now just take control of a single player's individual training rather than having to take control of all individual training however I would just like the ability to "inform my staff" of what I want. I.e. do exactly as I do now (set the training I want) but instead of taking control I just tell my coach to implement it with them retaining control of that player's individual training at the point what I have asked for ceases

4 minutes ago, PhydomiR said:

True, there are way too many attempts, but if you watch in expanded highlights you can see that they are not ALWAYS pin point accurate actually. Higher accuracy than it should be, for sure, but not always. Accuracy needs to be balanced, but another (maybe bigger) problem is that there are just countless attempts when a team plays with attacking mentality and forwards in attack roles. Most are still picked up by defenders, but there are just way too many, every once in a while one makes it, and it just adds up throughout the game.

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

For example in my personal save; shifting from a full hard press to a split block has seen the long balls drop down massively. Or shifting the d line from high to standard depending on how fast their forwards are compared to my slower defender (though it's good to see a lack of defensive pace as a weakness once again)

This 100% is in line with what I am experiencing too. In this ME it really matters who you play, against which type of players, which role you use, LoE, defensive line, everything matters like the way they should, and that's why the more I played the more I started liking this ME. If they can balance the frequency AND the accuracy of the long balls for more attacking setups, this will be a great ME.

Well - or not so well honestly - i start a CaC, get excited to make plans, build my Team, search Players, set them up for the Season, then i play a few games, and cant keep my eyes open while the maches are played, so i start over, get excited a few moments and fall asleep soon over the coming matches being played.

I can not fully explain it, but this is the most boring Version of FM (the other FMs could get you overplayed for being mostly exciting - none of them was what i would call boring) and i cant overcome that.

The way chances are created, players behave, none of that is exciting - which is a big shame bcs i see the progress in Animation, Managementpart, etc. but in the end the 3D Part is where you spend the most time and if that is not enjoyable it is no good at all.

I will stop playing for the time being and seek excitement in my huge Backlog of games i did not play in favour of the various FMs i was invested gaming in.

Hope i will experience a huge Turnaround with the coming Patches!

Have a good 2020

18 minutos atrás, sgevolker disse:

Is defending set pieces a general issue this year or am I the only one who concede a lot of goals from set pieces to the second post? 

Made some changes in my defensive set pieces and made my team to train offensive and defensive set pieces (free and corner kicks) once or twice a week. Made a huge difference.

20 minutes ago, sgevolker said:

Is defending set pieces a general issue this year or am I the only one who concede a lot of goals from set pieces to the second post? 

I feel like there are a little too many goals from set pieces because of the defenders acting slower than the attacking players to high balls / crosses balls etc.

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yep, getting the balance right is the issue. But when so many differing setups produce such differing outcomes it's very difficult. For example in my personal save; shifting from a full hard press to a split block has seen the long balls drop down massively. Or shifting the d line from high to standard depending on how fast their forwards are compared to my slower defender (though it's good to see a lack of defensive pace as a weakness once again)

Apologies if this is obvious...but how do you instruct a split block? There's obvs the overall pressing intensity setting so presumably this is done via PIs? Thought many roles had a default closing down setting, with some are capped quite prohibitively (ie playmaker roles do not allow for intensive pressing)?

I played f m 2020 for 25 hours. Worst fm ever.

Whats the point playing it if its all about luck? If ur stiker can finish one out of 10 cc. And then its all about next luck if ur gk can stop the enemies striker at next 10 cc.

Long balls and randonly distance shoots. All about luck that you dont have any impact at.  Not fun at all

4 hours ago, Butlee said:

I think this is what's making the existing issues so tough for a lot of people though. (imo) FM20 is overall pretty good. There's a lot of fun to be had, I think the 3D matches look pretty good and I've noticed things like the passing - specifically one-touch-play - is a lot better in FM20. You can create beautiful football. But then you're seeing issues (recognised by SI) which hampers a lot of the great stuff a lot of managers have put together. So it's kind of because people can see how good this game could be, that the impact of the scoring balance is so significant.

In your position, you've found something that does work and is still faithful to how you want to play - that's awesome. I think there's a whole heap of fun to be had in FM20. For the folks in here that aren't having as much - I hope SI can work something out. They're the experts!

Yep, for the longest time I was not having fun. I was winning but to say it bored me to tears would be an understatement. Went against everything I love about football and made Mourinho look expansive, even though I was trying to create attacking entertaining football.....and good god I hated it.

Have by pure dumb luck stumbled on a formation, roles and setup that produces exactly what I wanted and I'm loving it again.

3 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I just did a livestream where my central defenders played like overlapping central defenders which was fun to watch.

Mines nothing as adventurous as that but after about 1 million attempts on a million years worth of FM's I've finally gotten a Shadow Striker and Targetman combination to work.

57 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

Apologies if this is obvious...but how do you instruct a split block? There's obvs the overall pressing intensity setting so presumably this is done via PIs? Thought many roles had a default closing down setting, with some are capped quite prohibitively (ie playmaker roles do not allow for intensive pressing)?

Done by PIs. I'm away so this is going to be very rough but you can doing it by two ways: setting a team pressing level higher and asking your defensive section to close down less, or setting it at a medium/lower team level and asking your attacking block to close down more. I often combine this with hard tackling on attacking players for man city-like tactical fouling. I usually play 4-3-3 so my split is usually back 4 plus DM Vs CMs, AML/R and CF. Check the tactical section of the forum or when I'm back to my machine on Monday I can send you what my split looks like properly. 

My impressions:

I played 90 hours until. Most of the time only served to make me angry and frustrated.

I left my best experience in all FM's (Girona in FM 19) to have a terrible experience.

The gameplay is horrible. Two months after launch, Match Engine continues to have the same problems as it did at the beginning and no one can predict improvements. Things in the game are always repetitive and everything seems to depend on your luck (which always fails). Penalty shoot-out is unsuccessful; long balls pursue their defense regardless of the quality of the players and their tactics; Your attacker can have great attributes (17+) and yet will lose dozens of clear chances before scoring; the game seems to laugh at your tactical changes and keeps punishing you no matter what you change.

If I had known this would be so bad I would have continued on FM 19 and would consider buying the game only in March. After all, it seems that this is what we who bought the game at the launch deserve: suffering and anger.

Sorry for my bad english.

Other than the knows specific issues, in general there are just way too many shots per match in the game, for which there are several causes, the long balls being one of them of course. Some other causes that caught my eye:

- Weaker teams too unwilling and too poor at trying to overcome press and build from back or counter attack. They never come out of their shells sometimes which keeps a 90 minute long pressure on their 1/3rd.

- Defenders reacting slower than the attacking players, especially in set pieces/high balls

- Defending team clearances to out of bounds keep giving the ball back to attacking team immediately

Edited by bleventozturk

19 hours ago, RjRj said:

It's the worst FM so far unfortunately. Full backs get in good positions and then stop and just wait to get tackled or pass backwards regardless if told to cross more. Wide men run the whole pitch and then just kick it into the side netting over and over regardless if told to shoot less. The 1 v 1's may be worse than ever. Don't even really look when a player is through 1 v 1. The list goes on. I re-downloaded last year's and enjoying it again. Unless a few patches come out I'll be nowhere near FM20. 

Came exactly to say this. So many times my winger or full back had the chance to give it to a striker for an easy tap in but instead decided to shoot to the side netting. But it's not the only issue of course. I can't have this happening every game it's too frustrating. It's not fun anymore to play and i'll also wait for an update.

39 minutes ago, trai12 said:

Came exactly to say this. So many times my winger or full back had the chance to give it to a striker for an easy tap in but instead decided to shoot to the side netting. But it's not the only issue of course. I can't have this happening every game it's too frustrating. It's not fun anymore to play and i'll also wait for an update.

I've said it before but it's almost as if the players don't realize that they are in a team. As if they are only focused on their specific task and position. The times i've just seen my wide players pick up the ball around the center of the pitch and run for ever and then shoot from a impossible angle. I've come to a point where i blame losses more to strange ME behavior then my bad management. And i've had succes with this ME even, but then still it's not really rewarding because i can't seem to get the team to play like i want them to. Really a shame bacause i really like almost every other aspect of the game. Things like club vision and de development center are brilliant. It was really rewarding to see a youngster progress and work its way into the first team.

1 hour ago, bleventozturk said:

- Defending team clearances to out of bounds keep giving the ball back to attacking team immediately

Totally under-rated but huge problem for me on this ME. Back to fm10 level. Probably main reason why I don't play the game and waiting for update to see if I'm buying the game. 

2 hours ago, Welshace said:

Does anybody understand the affiliate link between Watford and Udinese? it says players can move freely... how does this work in game because i've tried from both sides and it doesn't work?

From what I've seen, it means that no compensation, etc, is paid for end-of-contract players, first option to buy players, etc.

Could really enjoy the game, but somewhere since mid dec something changed and my 2nd season / xmas holiday play went really bad - which sucked me in - and at the end I got sacked! (Leicester, high pressing tactics).That hasnt happened often in 20 years of CM! Maybe me getting old, but then i really feel not much i could do about it. Now started to read here and seems like all the things i cant get my head around are listed here as known deficiencies. (Ccc missed in the tens, too many shots per game (30-40 often), opposition CB making super long assist balls and my CB being statues over again leading to conceding, too many long ball goals outside 16,  frustrating crossing)

so ok, now am waiting for a patch and then i hope i can still re load a save from some weeks before the sack.

3 часа назад, Welshace сказал:

Does anybody understand the affiliate link between Watford and Udinese? it says players can move freely... how does this work in game because i've tried from both sides and it doesn't work?

I guess this is the same as RB Leipzig and RB Salzburg relations. Loans of players who ready for this (check list in your inbox), priority of transfers, etc.

25 минут назад, wackiewim сказал:

ould really enjoy the game, but somewhere since mid dec something changed

ME2026 version released in this time. I bought FM20 after demo me2021 and enjoyed too until this update happened 

9 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

ME2026 version released in this time. I bought FM20 after demo me2021 and enjoyed too until this update happened 

I've already said enough about the release versions.....

I just want to ask if anyone remembers ME2016 because I was so pleased and excited by that version, looked and played superbly for me. I actually remember thinking how god it was going to be once it'd been refined further!!

Edited by janrzm

I don't know if it's a bug, that's why I'll ask here. I like to play windowed and every time I quite the game and open again is fullscreen, anyone know what could be happening? Thanks.

1 minute ago, LucasBR said:

I don't know if it's a bug, that's why I'll ask here. I like to play windowed and every time I quite the game and open again is fullscreen, anyone know what could be happening? Thanks.

Add it to the list. Seems just about every other thread on the front page is related to a bug or issue with FM20.

39 minutes ago, janrzm said:

I've already said enough about the release versions.....

I just want to ask if anyone remembers ME2016 because I was so pleased and excited by that version, looked and played superbly for me. I actually remember thinking how god it was going to be once it'd been refined further!!

Back in the old days when the ME was not this complicated/involved (and I say this in a good way), with each update the ME would get better. Since FM 18 not so much.. it became more of a balancing battle from the initial release to the latest version. With some ME builds it gets better, with some it gets worse again. I can't say right now if the March update will be better than 20.2.3, or even if there will be a March update. While they try to fix one thing, other things get broken because of the knock-on effects. So much that I wish there was a way to keep this version in my back pocket, just in case the March update will give us FM 19 all over again.. I can't play that dullest version of all with no central play. I prefer what we have now. Just my opinion of course.

3 minutes ago, bleventozturk said:

Back in the old days when the ME was not this complicated/involved (and I say this in a good way), with each update the ME would get better. Since FM 18 not so much.. it became more of a balancing battle from the initial release to the latest version. With some ME builds it gets better, with some it gets worse again. I can't say right now if the March update will be better than 20.2.3, or even if there will be a March update. While they try to fix one thing, other things get broken because of the knock-on effects. So much that I wish there was a way to keep this version in my back pocket, just in case the March update will give us FM 19 all over again.. I can't play that dullest version of all with no central play. I prefer what we have now. Just my opinion of course.

I know what you mean about wishing you could "bank" the ME just in case it regressed. Personally I feel this ME can get back on track and it feels like theres a direct correlation between the main issues, fingers crossed.

Whilst it's been frustrating the most significant long term effect for me is it's converted me from a pre-release buyer of the game to one who will now wait until the last patch release before purchase. Once you've made the initial adjustment you're still 12 months between releases.  

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Tiger666:

Think I'll give this up until the patch. Everything feels so random. I go from losing 5 games on the trot playing terribly then smashing my big rival 5-0. Same players, tactics etc. I don't feel like I'm really in control of it.

A lot of managers feel the same. There is a random factor in football. It might be bigger with some ME issues, but in general people expecting things from the ME that real football does hardly offer. (or just for a 10% percentage of really good managers).

Just now, Tiger666 said:

Think I'll give this up until the patch. Everything feels so random. I go from losing 5 games on the trot playing terribly then smashing my big rival 5-0. Same players, tactics etc. I don't feel like I'm really in control of it.

There needs to be an element of randomness I accept that and I want it. At the same time I know exactly what you mean by that statement. When you play versions of this game for thousands of hours you become sensitive to subtle changes like this and as a result you can tell what does and doesn't "feel" right.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Tiger666:

same thing for me , chances are so random and out of control unless you play and exploit the long balls over the top.

For example my team is passing and combining in a promising location only to hoof the ball to the full back on the other side or to pass back or run into the by line.

But then the ball is passed around in midfield and someone shoots from 40m and scores. random .

I feel i have set up my team to create chances with my tactic and indeed we seem to be able to create openings in the defense in dangerous areas but moves are never finished and goals are scored from elsewhere , balls over the top , random shots or set pieces  or someone dribbles by himself through the other team.

Its not about winning , i am consistently top of the table , won the Serie a with Florentina in the first season , but its just so boring and random.  I dont seem to be in control in helping my team win .

Edited by thejay