Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

10 hours ago, bleventozturk said:

Fully agree. I only wish that it happened even more, but most gamers would probably hate the game for being too hard. Irl very few managers have the luxury to work with boards that are as patient as those in the game. More often than not, even following 1 very successful season, if they don't start the second season well, the talks of bringing in a new manager starts immediately. This is even worse in some leagues, where managers who take over a struggling side mid-season are expected to right the ship immediately and otherwise get the sack after only 5-10 matches and can't even finish that half season. Happens in Turkish league several times a year :)

The reality of FM, that I believe, it needs to have a balance between a realism/simulation and being a computer game, that people play for fun. What that balance is, I can't really say, because I would simply be saying my own opinion. Despite thinking it needs tweaking and some reorganisation of some of the screens/features inside of the game.

If you skew too much to the simulation, a lot of people will get bored by FM. If you skew too much to game mode, you loose in simulation/realism and a lot of people will say the game is unrealistic.

It is a balancing act. As you said, in real life those sort of thing happen more often, then in game. But if you do it like real life, you probably will alienate a lot of FMers.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 ore fa, bleventozturk ha scritto:

Fully agree. I only wish that it happened even more, but most gamers would probably hate the game for being too hard. Irl very few managers have the luxury to work with boards that are as patient as those in the game. More often than not, even following 1 very successful season, if they don't start the second season well, the talks of bringing in a new manager starts immediately. This is even worse in some leagues, where managers who take over a struggling side mid-season are expected to right the ship immediately and otherwise get the sack after only 5-10 matches and can't even finish that half season. Happens in Turkish league several times a year :)

After the decembre patch, i pass 10 years (in Hungary) in 10 different clubs. I'm a disaster. But if I have at least 60% of the fault, the game itself have some ones. 

All the AI managers who wins something (league or National Cup) play long balls or counter direct balls. 

Who plays possesion with higher defensive line Is doomed. 

So the result is that all the best teams plays like the weakers in real life.

Regard the board, maybe i'm unlucky but i like It: i was sacked even for 7 points difference. Or after (for me,  possibile, but even less reasonable) a bad half season in league but CL group stage reached that should be an Amazing achievements (only the amount of Money changes the future of a team in Hungary) - (and possible the reason to be out of shape in league). 

1 hour ago, Toshef said:

I am working man I wan to play for few hours and enjoy my time. I cant spent 1 hour to prepare for each FM game like a real life football manager. I know some of the users are a bit on the younger side and are still not working so maybe they can spent hours tweaking tactics for each opponent so they can get someting out of the ME but I cant do that its not fun

Just up the conversion rate to be honest as long as most of us are winning we wont be complaining that much but right now getting 30 shots on a goal with 3 on target and losing is soo frustrating...

If I save scum a home game against the bottom team I will win 5 times and I expect 5 draws or losses while I am dominating and I am like world class side compared to them. I mean I cant get results against the worst teams if they score first go on the defensive and with my players missing their chances its game over also players with 150-160 CA and watching them on key shooting into throw ins or in the stands from great positions? I mean I am having misses of the season every single game . I

It's a strange one this year, I bought the game on pre-release my team and strikers were doing really good certainly overachieving but nothing too unrealisitic. Strikers were scoring loads and for about 2 and a half weeks I was having lots of fun. It's almost as if when it came to release rather than just fix all these cosmetic bugs that people raised SI games had a change of heart about the match engine and rather than appeal to your casual/yet exerienced gamer they wanted to appease the players who spend an hour on tactics who probably said the game was too easy.

Ever since then I feel there is no turning back each update brings more and more dissapointment with the biggest immersion killer that strikers with the most amazing attributes and supply line are struggling to hit the prolific top figures across the board. The ultra defensiveness of the inferior teams maybe is art imitating life but this is a computer game and if every 2 out of 5 games is scrappy boring dull football then I think that the focus of the game needs to be revised.

I tried giving this new Beta a try and despite great morale, very good players and lots of tactical familiarity and experience the AI is smashing in long range shots and my players aren't responding to changes that I make or instructions I put in place. I think once the full patch is released I will have to start a new game because I am really beginning to ask the question are these patches fully save game compatible or is the ME really just that bad and geared for hardcores or exploit tactics?

Edited by FMLegend1983

vor 4 Stunden schrieb bcereus:

So they killed center play to fix the long balls over the top and now the football is back out to the wings with blocked crosses. Also goals from long shots. Essentially FM 19 issues.

I'm not sure there is a balance to be had in the ME anymore, I think it seems like a complicated mess that needs a revamp. It seems to only do extremes where the pattern of play is forced through one area of the pitch.

I wouldn't mind if center play required very high level of technical/movement ability but it's no longer really about the players or your choices. It's just what the ME allows you to do.

the new defensive width instructions essentially gimped the attacking side of the match engine, this is my theory 

15 hours ago, Vault-Tec said:

Well, for me it's worse since I've downloaded the beta, and I'm considering getting back to the "official" game.

There is less long balls and 1 vs 1 that's true, but I've got a HUGE amounts of actions which are always the same. Action is taking place on wings, crosses, headers, and the ball goes to the sky. Lukaku is missing every headers, really. Am i the only one who've got this feeling that it's almost impossible to score on a header ? It made me crazy, because I asked them to play through midfield, but they keep playing onto the wings.

I've also noticed players who are in good situation for attempting a cross, but they wait, go to the extreme limit of the field, and then a defender get stuck to them and block their shot.

That's the last game during which I went mad (come on, 23 shots and only 3 on target).

1972737528_Capturedcran(4).thumb.png.7bcbaf72dfcca0aaa7a39f8e79041be5.png

Noticed that too. It seems that when you have the ball in the centre of the pitch, as soon as your players come under any pressure they just revert to spraying the ball out wide. I'm not sure obviously what's causing this but it was an issue in FM19 and it's still an issue now. I've literally had games on this public beta for FM20 where I've asked my team to play through the middle and after the game I've checked the analysis and found that just 5% of our play was through the middle. Even as low as 4% for one game. 

Yeah that's another issue in the ME, was the same last year as well. The crossing. As you mention there, the ball is out on the wings far too much that it is very unbalanced and to try and keep that in check there are far too many blocked crosses and players who receive the ball and have several yards on their marker and an easy cross to put in simply hold the ball up and wait to be closed down. 

5 hours ago, bcereus said:

So they killed center play to fix the long balls over the top and now the football is back out to the wings with blocked crosses. Also goals from long shots. Essentially FM 19 issues.

I'm not sure there is a balance to be had in the ME anymore, I think it seems like a complicated mess that needs a revamp. It seems to only do extremes where the pattern of play is forced through one area of the pitch.

I wouldn't mind if center play required very high level of technical/movement ability but it's no longer really about the players or your choices. It's just what the ME allows you to do.

Pretty much back to FM19 ME yeah. I think at this point it's clear the issues in the current ME they have can't be fixed. Hopefully they are working on or have plans to build a completely new ME. Maybe that'll help?

3 hours ago, fidelitywars said:

Seems to me that the insane negativity of the AI distorts the ME; as soon as human managers win a few games, the opposition becomes far too negative, causing a lack of space and central play whilst ensuring low-scoring, repetitive, set-piece-dependent football. Suspect that there's a decent ME veiled beneath this but it's almost impossible to tell. As things stand, the game is pretty joyless largely owing to the opposition having little interest in contributing anything constructive; such congestion and lack of adventure sees little/no space for creative players to operate in, making full-backs and wingers vastly overpowered to the detriment of all else. Been a massive problem in both FM19 and FM20, IMO.

THIS! 100% THIS! Hits the nail on the head, u make a tactic and style of football, its looks to be a great foundation to build on, few tweaks to improve the tactic. You start going unbeaten in like 8, then boom the AI "re-assesses" you, usually noticeable in the pre-match "odds" you now become favourite to win all of a sudden. Therefore the AI just goes fully committed to being defensive and conservative in their play. The AI doesnt counter your tactic, it counters whether you are the favourite in pre-match or not. The realisation of this effect has never been so obvious in FM than in 20. This FM regardless of current patch version has the AI playing deeper and narrower than ever before when you are the favourite, and the match engine tweaks from patch to patch dont really compensate for this extreme reaction from the opposition AI over the course of the season. Its like a constant tug of war from one extreme to the next. u go on a bad run and your tactic kicks into gear again playing how u set it up to be. Start winning a few and then the AI shuts up shop and your tactic cant function anymore. Its a realistic reaction to have from the AI but the problem comes when the effect is far too strong due to ME limitations, you COULD have a backup tactic that breaks them down, but you cant because u end up with 10 blocked shots per match, wildly poor chances being created that miss 75% of the time, opposition fullbacks on 10+ tackles per match etc etc. So what happens is that some people are experiencing WILDLY different things in the PB ME. "This works for me" then the counter "Well that isnt what im experiencing, this isnt working for me" etc etc etc. This new PB patch is an improvement, but there is still so many issues, and always will be. For me what the guy I quoted is the main point about FM20 ME. Dont sleep on people saying this, thats how you figure out the match engine.

Arguably best striker in the league, playing for arguably the best club in the league. Good thing that there's Europa league matches against clubs from not loaded countries to increases his goal tally by 200%.

image.thumb.png.b4ef3d123cde32bca694b5a5d0e8cabf.png

I'd almost feel sorry for the AI. Almost. Actually, looking at their 13th place in the Eredivisie... scratch that, I actually feel sorry for the AI.

If you think strikers have a rough time, have a look at the screenies I posted last night & you'll understand why, at times it was a whole back 5 marking a single striker leaving the likes of Salah in acres of space & fullbacks were having a field day. 2 or 3 CB's watching a striker & having the full backs engage wide is fine but at the moment it's overkill. Please add any PKMs you can where you see this :thup: 

If & when that gets looked it too, hopefully defences will be less horizontally packed & open things up a little 

1 hour ago, nikolaMo said:

Having played Publit Beta patch for about 2 seasons now watching extended highlights I can say that the main game engine is actually more fun to watch because there ae at least some decent central play through goals, while long balls and 1on1s are quite annoying it is at least more open free flowing football,and you can minimize that with your tactic setup to some degree. The puplic beta ME seems to my eyes almost identical to fm19 me(read the dullest ME ever). The goal pattern is either:

1. Defender mistake or poor clearance. 

2. Side cross to second post unmarked striker. 

3. Long shot wonder goal. 

4. Set piece goal. 

I can't say that these are the only goals but other patterns are too few to say at least. 

I just can't understand how can such ME regress after only 2-3 years when logically it should be much better. I know I'm just an unxperienced gamer/user and can't understand the coding details and difficulty, but to me the only thing that matters is that I've exponentially enjoyed all FMs up until fm2019 which halted my enjoyable experience. I'm just saddened either I'm getting to old to thoroughly enjoy the game or ME work is just unacceptable. 

I am going to before patch I cant stand the Public beta... My AMc finished with 5 passes last match he is world class player

In public beta, every time my AM is suggesting me to Play for set pieces because I am good at it. But he didn't suggested me that before the public beta.

And if you are watching your highlights in extended mode, you will see 80% or even more of the time highlight from a set piece.

Also noticed, there are also low number of direct FK goals. 30 games played, more then half of the teams in premier league scored 0 goals from direct FK. But indirect FK, that is another story..

Like someone posted earlier, this is the same ME just without successful long bals and low rate of CCs.

1 hour ago, nikolaMo said:

Having played Publit Beta patch for about 2 seasons now watching extended highlights I can say that the main game engine is actually more fun to watch because there ae at least some decent central play through goals, while long balls and 1on1s are quite annoying it is at least more open free flowing football,and you can minimize that with your tactic setup to some degree. The puplic beta ME seems to my eyes almost identical to fm19 me(read the dullest ME ever). The goal pattern is either:

1. Defender mistake or poor clearance. 

2. Side cross to second post unmarked striker. 

3. Long shot wonder goal. 

4. Set piece goal. 

I can't say that these are the only goals but other patterns are too few to say at least. 

I just can't understand how can such ME regress after only 2-3 years when logically it should be much better. I know I'm just an unxperienced gamer/user and can't understand the coding details and difficulty, but to me the only thing that matters is that I've exponentially enjoyed all FMs up until fm2019 which halted my enjoyable experience. I'm just saddened either I'm getting to old to thoroughly enjoy the game or ME work is just unacceptable. 

I respect  your opinion but I think this ME is way better than fm 19 ME

I this ME there is a lot of variety of goals and more nice  team movement especially on the final third 

Regarding the public beta, I think that mediocre teams are too good at defending. It's just enough for the AI to put defensive mentality, narrow defending with low line of defense and act like Inter in Hellenio Herrera's days. But i think it's a step up compared to the official ME and with some tweaks it will be a fun ME.

I just decided to opt out of the beta as the current official patch is still better even with the problems it has, am not really one for posting pkm's etc anyway so its not a loss to Si anyway, I was just hoping for a more enjoyable game experience which sadly it couldn't deliver, at least on the official patch central play is effective and strikers even with all the missed 1 on 1's can score on a regular basis.

19 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Regarding the public beta, I think that mediocre teams are too good at defending. It's just enough for the AI to put defensive mentality, narrow defending with low line of defense and act like Inter in Hellenio Herrera's days. But i think it's a step up compared to the official ME and with some tweaks it will be a fun ME.

100%. Average/poor teams are FAR too effective defensively; negativity and weight of numbers seem to massively trump player quality/attributes. I'd expect lower quality players to get caught out/make mistakes but too often, poor teams are all but inpregnable from open play if they sit deep.

Edited by fidelitywars
typo

19 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

I just decided to opt out of the beta as the current official patch is still better even with the problems it has, am not really one for posting pkm's etc anyway so its not a loss to Si anyway, I was just hoping for a more enjoyable game experience which sadly it couldn't deliver, at least on the official patch central play is effective and strikers even with all the missed 1 on 1's can score on a regular basis.

Same, gone back to the offical release, although not started playing again i couldn't cope with the beta anymore as narrow formations are just as ineffective as before. I could do with going back another patch

3 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

Noticed that too. It seems that when you have the ball in the centre of the pitch, as soon as your players come under any pressure they just revert to spraying the ball out wide. I'm not sure obviously what's causing this but it was an issue in FM19 and it's still an issue now. I've literally had games on this public beta for FM20 where I've asked my team to play through the middle and after the game I've checked the analysis and found that just 5% of our play was through the middle. Even as low as 4% for one game. 

Yeah that's another issue in the ME, was the same last year as well. The crossing. As you mention there, the ball is out on the wings far too much that it is very unbalanced and to try and keep that in check there are far too many blocked crosses and players who receive the ball and have several yards on their marker and an easy cross to put in simply hold the ball up and wait to be closed down. 

Pretty much back to FM19 ME yeah. I think at this point it's clear the issues in the current ME they have can't be fixed. Hopefully they are working on or have plans to build a completely new ME. Maybe that'll help?

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeling that way. The problem is this caused me too much frustration, and right now I think I'm going to do a little break with FM. I did not play since FM 2014, and really I don't enjoy it right now. These all things seem to me so random.

I was happy to see the beta, but from my games I just have seen problems replacing others problems, taking out one frustration for bringing in another one.

And I don't think that everything is linked to tactic, there is a point where players lack discernment I'd say, even if they are top players. That would explain their decisions of attempting a cross or a shot everytime they are closed down by a defender, and the solution of passing by wings everytime too.

For the huge amount of header going in the sky, well it's a mystery for me.

36 minutes ago, glosoli said:

Any idea when will it come out of beta?

I'm hoping that they can keep updating public beta by making little tweaks until march so they can get feedback about problems and solve them on the go until then. It would probably be an overall better product by march.

Weirdly I never had issues with pens on the official release. On beta however I've missed 4/5. Not beyond the realms of possibility of course, but taking into account what seems to be the general experience it needs a tinker imo. Also still too many ccc missed I would say, and strikers with unrealisticly low tallies. Overall I still think it's a big improvement,, but yeah, still a few issues I'd like resolved.

25 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

Kind of defeats the point of a beta to not update it. There should be incremental updates to gather feedback.

That depends on how happy they would be with internal changes, level of initial feedback and ease of changes. I've mentioned it before but there isn't huge amount of feedback both here and in the public beta thread. For those in the public beta, this is your time to have your influence. 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

That depends on how happy they would be with internal changes, level of initial feedback and ease of changes. I've mentioned it before but there isn't huge amount of feedback both here and in the public beta thread. For those in the public beta, this is your time to have your influence. 

There's been plenty of bug reports made since the beta came out. I've made some myself. If it isn't intended to be updated then it seems to me it's simply a stopgap patch to appease the people complaining until the March update.

Edited by Tiger666

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

If you think strikers have a rough time, have a look at the screenies I posted last night & you'll understand why, at times it was a whole back 5 marking a single striker leaving the likes of Salah in acres of space & fullbacks were having a field day. 2 or 3 CB's watching a striker & having the full backs engage wide is fine but at the moment it's overkill. Please add any PKMs you can where you see this :thup: 

If & when that gets looked it too, hopefully defences will be less horizontally packed & open things up a little 

This became an issue since the defensive width has been introduced in FM 19, and kills most of the central play in the final third. The problem is that AI sets up based on your success/reputation, and not based on how you are attacking. As a result, when you are a strong side every team plays with narrow and deep defensive line against you, completely ignoring the fact that you are killing them with your wingers and wingbacks. If my opponent is strong, and uses wingers, I am not going to defend too narrow and leave the wide areas completely free for them to exploit and bombard me with crosses. 

So from last night when I started compiling stats on my games for PSG, it was noticeable that every single team was basically setting up cautiously. I'm actually ok with that, playing against a bigger club etc, you'd expect a cautious approach, but not quite the 100% cautious after the first 8 games, 2 of which were Villareal who were defensive and Juventus who went cautious from the start. 

I'm trying to compile the season and put it into a spreadsheet for both East Fife and PSG. I'm only a little way through so hopefully in the next couple of days I'll get it up on here for people to read.

I was really determined not to pre-order FM2020 and wait 'til March, when the game is complete but I've pre-ordered every single FM up to date and decided the same with FM2020... Next year, I will not be pre-ordering. Beta ME was almost perfect except the amount of penalties and red cards. I'm not sure what is happening to you folks at the SI. Maybe it's the lack of competition, I do not know.

This is my two cents as a feedback, from a lifelong fan of the series.

17 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

There's been plenty of bug reports made since the beta came out. I've made some myself. If it isn't intended to be updated then it seems to me it's simply a stopgap patch to appease the people complaining until the March update.

There's 141 posts from 30 odd threads in the public beta thread. Given the number of users, that's not a lot. Also the ultimate aim of the beta is to help the final patch. If they think they need to update before to achieve that they will, if not they wont. 

Does anyone know if its a recognised bug that the Loan Manager organises no outgoing development loans despite it being allocated to him. Likewise with the DOF and HOYD tried both delegated to Find and Sign Young Players for the Future and every season, nothing happens.

Am I missing something??

1 minute ago, sidslayer said:

Can Si not see these issues themselves? Really? Do they look at all the issues that have been raised (multiple and varied) and think “wow, I’ve never seen that issue before on all the games we’ve played and tested here at SI towers!”?

I’m a lifelong player of the series and I’ll play it no matter what state the ME is in. A rolling beta is fine by me to improve the ME. But to say that SI don’t know of all the problems that have been raised and that they need more and more and more info from us, that they can’t see the issues themselves, I find rather ridiculous.

Same, I'll be pretty depressed if obvious issues don't get addressed because there wasn't enough posts about them on the forum. 

Edited by janrzm

3 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

I’m a lifelong player of the series and I’ll play it no matter what state the ME is in. A rolling beta is fine by me to improve the ME. But to say that SI don’t know of all the problems that have been raised and that they need more and more and more info from us, that they can’t see the issues themselves, I find rather ridiculous.

No one said they're not aware of issues. Often they are (and you can see this in the bug reports (ït's an issue we're aware of and thanks for the example"), but need examples to log. 

3 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

No one said they're not aware of issues. Often they are (and you can see this in the bug reports (ït's an issue we're aware of and thanks for the example"), but need examples to log. 

This. Otherwise, what's the point in even having a public beta if the public don't want to get involved? They might as well can it at that rate. 

On 18/01/2020 at 01:50, JordanMillward_1 said:

This has been suggested several times every year for probably 6-7 years, and I can tell you it'll never happen. When people can make their own updated databases with the pre-game editor, SI would go broke with this strategy. 

I disagree. The quality of SI's data work is much more sought after.

I feel that people are prepared to pay for the attribute assignment by dedicated professionals whereas obviously they aren't when it comes to randomers who release data on Steam.

I guess SI need no afraid to give a big difference between top player and high players, high players and low players, low players and semi-pro players.
In every case difference is colossal, but I dont feel this in FM. It was in FM18 last time for me where I can beat low club in Cup 9-0 in easy way and this is ok, check German Cup IRL for example.
This beta is ok, I see few issues which very difficult to change but I can forgive all of them, but there are no OK with thing which I describe above. 
If I have a top players I waiting for better results even if my tactic is not perfect. If I have any players which higher I waiting for this. Yes, in some cases it could be different, but not every game? 

Also current ME is better for low/subtop teams imo. My team from 3Bundesliga more comfortable and more creative in compare of my Chelsea and Spurs. Nonsence which kills pleasure for me.
Topteams look some 'cropped' if I use the correct word for this. It’s very tortured to play for them for now.

So If to ignore some deep tactical issues which are a real challenge for programmers, these two cases are my agenda.

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

This. Otherwise, what's the point in even having a public beta if the public don't want to get involved? They might as well can it at that rate. 

Quite. But the public are getting involved ... are we not?

What was this? imho very wrong decission by my trequartista, that should either run and try to drible or try to play one on twos with any of the two forwards or to hold the ball waiting for the team mates.

Worth uploading pkm?

34 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's 141 posts from 30 odd threads in the public beta thread. Given the number of users, that's not a lot.

Well a lot of the bugs are still present from the main game so threads have been carried on in the main bug forum. Otherwise we're just duplicating threads.

Edited by Tiger666

6 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

Well a lot of the bugs are still present from the main game so threads have been carried on in the main bug forum. Otherwise we're just duplicating threads.

I'm well aware, and I wouldn't be encouraging more people to be doing it if plenty were doing it already. People can take it or leave it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the late start of the public beta this year wasn't linked to the overall low level of feedback from last year's public beta. @Jack Joyce will probably hate me for this but please keep chucking more things for the team to look at. 

10 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

Lol. Apologies for the unintentional spam.

Haha not sure which one to reply to! Some are, plenty aren't. It's not a requirement by any means, but this is where you have the most impact and best level of input and say too. Personally think the public beta should run from the start like it did in FM19, but it only works if you're getting as many people as possible buying in. They absolutely do read all this

Just one thing for those from PB: once you're in private beta you decided to help spotting issues. You accepted to get involved in the process uploading pkm if necessary, savegames or screenshots. Nobody forced you, it was your choice and only yours.

So now that you wanted to attend the ballet, you're expected to dance :)

Second: if you suspect there's an issue or a bug, whatever it belongs to, report it. Don't waste time asking if you should. Do it. It won't hurt anyone.

22 minutes ago, Icy said:

What was this? imho very wrong decission by my trequartista, that should either run and try to drible or try to play one on twos with any of the two forwards or to hold the ball waiting for the team mates.

Worth uploading pkm?

What was your tempo in your tactic at that moment? But yeah some bad central playing and decision there. :/ And pass to wbr(?) was bad too :/

vor 19 Minuten schrieb szp:

Is it possible to use custom database (like for example pr0 Update) when starting a game on public beta? 

Yes, you can use any kind of third party dbs.