Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

An example of a 1-vs-1 that is seen all too rarely:

My striker actually makes a small move to the left and THEN he shoots, instead of trying to smash it through the keeper.

Also, a funny example of the state of defending... wtf is that opposition defender trying to do? Not trying to mark my striker, that's for sure.

Edited by Mikke

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, The Roaming Regista said:

Then for future FMs (at least say 5 or 6 before tech advancements can help to improve the ME even further) stick to the same ME that is the best it can be, and THEN you can add all the jazz e.g. club vision.

What tech advancements are you expecting more? We should be already there, but until min req are Intel Pentium 4 and 2gb of ram, we will never get out of this ME hole. They can go more complex or achieve more natural simulation if they use up the tech power that is available.

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Poor wingers get all the blame for shooting into the side netting, I had my striker run with the ball from his own half after a corner, dribble out wide & fire into the side netting :D

Not only wingers, or strikers, I keep seeing this type of highlight in everybody's youtube videos, even some center backs (like Van Dijk in people's Liverpool videos) doing what you are describing here. Dribbling seems to have become ridiculously overpowered. Then of course there is the everlasting issue with most ME's, which is that it hardly differentiates between players' skill levels, such as when long shots become too powerful, you see players with low long shot attribute scoring 30 yard screamers, now dribbling is overpowered, and not only for the likes of Messi, but your typical center backs can dribble across the entire field too now.

I'm really enjoying the game even though the goals tally seems low - I'm undecided whether it's linked to the bugs mentioned, my tactics or a combination of the two.

After 30 games with Sassuolo I'm in 10th place but I've only scored 27 goals and I've conceded 34 (10 of which are from corners). My top scorers are Domenico Berardi and Alfred Duncan with 4. It's frustrating me because the Club Vision demands attacking football and I feel like I'm playing an attacking style but there's not many goals at all so I'm getting criticised for it. They're playing some nice football and I seem to get into some great positions when my wing backs overlap but I'm not scoring nearly enough - obviously not helped by the side-netting issue but I've managed to reduce the amount of times it happens with individual player instructions. The one on ones are noticeable but I have scored a couple at least!

The overall feel of the game is great though apart from the staff responsibilities page, which is not pleasant on the eye at all. I'm massively frustrated by my game but not in a way that I don't want to play it. I actually hope it's my tactics that are wrong so I can put it right!

I'm halfway through my second season and my biggest gripe has to be the lack of variation in team talks, press conferences and player interactions. It feels like I've been replying with the same answers to the same questions for so long that I may as well not bother - except if I leave it to my assistant, I can't control what negative impact his comments may have so I'm left clicking through boilerplate templates with nary a thought.

It's been a part of FM for years now that despite having a significant impact on gameplay, it's been neglected and really suffers for the immersion. I can't imagine it'd be difficult to rewrite the text for the questions and responses either.

A tiny gripe, but currently my biggest, so overall I'm thoroughly enjoying FM20. 

edit: I actually checked earlier to see if there was a patch as my players are suddenly crossing far more often and I'm scoring more one on ones. Just having a lucky day.

Edited by skog

15 minutes ago, ArchieCourt said:

A sticky should be made for this. 'Feels like every other day we have to say this'  makes it sound like you assume every poster has read through 40+ pages of this thread

We would love people to read sticky threads, unfortunately its difficult to get people to even read the first post in this thread, which asks for people to please keep it constructive

I've complained about a few issues in the game previously, but I still have faith in SI to get it sorted. 

People getting unnecessarily aggressive need to think before they post. It's a game. Just a game. A friend of mine died a couple of days ago... when something like that happens it really puts into perspective how unimportant the FM match engine actually is.

SI will release a patch, they are working on it. Chill out :) peace!

1 hour ago, bleventozturk said:

Not only wingers, or strikers, I keep seeing this type of highlight in everybody's youtube videos, even some center backs (like Van Dijk in people's Liverpool videos) doing what you are describing here. Dribbling seems to have become ridiculously overpowered. Then of course there is the everlasting issue with most ME's, which is that it hardly differentiates between players' skill levels, such as when long shots become too powerful, you see players with low long shot attribute scoring 30 yard screamers, now dribbling is overpowered, and not only for the likes of Messi, but your typical center backs can dribble across the entire field too now.

Yes runnung with ball is too pronounced and players can cover too much space when dribbling. Especially on higher mentalities and tempo it doesn't looks natural. PLayers (fullbacks usually) should stop the play like they do on lower tempo, many times such dibblings don't make much sense. I'd say fullbacks are still over-powered and too willing to dribble instead of passing the ball. This problem is even worse because passing the ball forward doesn't happen enough.

11 minutes ago, ArchieCourt said:

To some people it would be constructive if they hadn't seen the other posts 20 pages back. Some of them include moaning but hard to not moan when FM have made no official announcement on Twitter or anything about these infuriating bugs, only thing I could find on Twitter from FM regarding it is Miles saying stuff like this, which is the complete opposite of what people want. This is the main reason I came to the forum as Miles telling his own customers are wrong is obviously no help

miles.PNG

I agree that it is best to post in here as opposed to tweeting Miles, he is pretty sarcastic and unhelpful on Twitter. In his defense though that is his personal Twitter page and not SI associated, so you can understand him getting frustrated and short with those tweeting him. As moderators have already said too, once there is something official to announce SI will do it. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisCo said:

I agree that it is best to post in here as opposed to tweeting Miles, he is pretty sarcastic and unhelpful on Twitter. In his defense though that is his personal Twitter page and not SI associated, so you can understand him getting frustrated and short with those tweeting him. As moderators have already said too, once there is something official to announce SI will do it. 

Except the fact his username has 'SI' on the end

Has anyone figured out the seeding for the new Club World Cup in 2021? It doesn’t seem to be based on the plans for the one in real life, from what I see. In my save, Liverpool won the Champions League, yet weren’t in the competition. 

EDIT: After reading, it sounds just as random as what I saw in-game. So, sounds about right!

Edited by zachalxnder

I'm two seasons in and I now relax when I see the AI running though on goal for a one and one as I know the chances of them scoring are slim. But the same goes for me, when the highlight is a one on one for me I know it's very rarely going to end in a goal. That isn't right. I'm more excited when my centre back has the ball miles out or I have a corner.

6 hours ago, hazzabish said:

I've cut out all of your deep analysis, and I'm sure it takes a lot of work and effort. I just go by the eye test and my experience of playing every version ever made. Either the visual respresentation is making these chances look easier than it should or the one on ones is f*cked to some degree.

Do you recognize any difference in my Video though compared to the majority of on on ones the game creates (also the Buggy, badly defended wide ones?) Since they#re quite blatant to me. They relate mostly towards the angle to the Goal when the shot is taken, and the distance to the next Defender nearby (and thus the time and pressure on the Forward). That's all fairly Basic Things I'd assume the engine to take into account -- it clearly Shows in the visuals also to me, and the conversion evidently.

My next "Research" if I have the time will getting the numbers for those Buggy ones though blasted from out wide, and then ones that are from better angles. Very well possible that there conversion is much too low -- it's happened in the past to a certain type (and was actually patched when that was acknowledged and found out!). Hence why one should not act as if they were all equal opportunity. Making actual distinctions here may improve the game Long-term hopefully. This naturally goes for any Kind of Chance. Long shot isn't and shouldn't be Long shot. They're taken from different positions under differents Kind of pressure too, clearly visually in-game too.

Edited by Svenc

4 hours ago, Mikke said:

An example of a 1-vs-1 that is seen all too rarely:

My striker actually makes a small move to the left and THEN he shoots, instead of trying to smash it through the keeper.

Also, a funny example of the state of defending... wtf is that opposition defender trying to do? Not trying to mark my striker, that's for sure.

Does your striker have any PPM/traits? Places shots or likes to round the keeper?

I think the main problem is the pattern in every year.

When the BETA is out - good ME with a little problems with it

Full release - more problem to the ME

Patch at December - better ME with small problems

Patch at March - good ME with minor problems

And its happening every year.. i wish at some point they will figured it out but i hardly believe so  

1 minute ago, GOODNAME said:

I think the main problem is the pattern in every year.

When the BETA is out - good ME with a little problems with it

Are people forgetting the fullback to fullback crossfield passes so quickly? :D

To be fair, it was decent for that short time we had it, a lot better than the current ME 

23 minutes ago, srvngrc said:

Ok then let’s make a “constructive” comment. 

1v1s, 2v1s, yellow cards, side netting issue and penalties are totally make this game unplayable for me. Most of these are known since beta. In bugs section there are a lot of threads and pkms about these issues. All of them are marked as “known issue”.

We just know that. Ok they are known and so? When we’ll get an update? At least SI should give an interval for that. Thousands of players deserve this information. I’ll start a long save. I think many others will too. And i don’t want start it before ME update  because i know it affects whole tactics. Maybe it’s not too hard to make a new tactic but it’ll be hard to make new transfers for new tactic.

Yup they are known issues.  But how exactly are they making the game unplayable for you?  Are you trying to achieve a certain tactical style and this is the end result?  If you are trying to achieve a certain tactical style, what tactical settings are you using?  What Traits do your players have which will impact those settings?

Or are you not too bothered about a certain style and just want to see some good football?

I'm not saying it's your tactics - far from it, especially as I have no idea what your tactics are - however while you wait for SI to change things more to your liking there may be changes you can make in the interim which might help your enjoyment.  Post your system, someone may be able to offer some options because not everyone is finding the game unplayable.

1 hour ago, orlyzao said:

Does your striker have any PPM/traits? Places shots or likes to round the keeper?

Nope, no traits at all, the player is Brian Murphy. And that is the only time in FM20 I've seen any player do that in a 1-on-1 situation. Unfortunately.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

Yup they are known issues.  But how exactly are they making the game unplayable for you?  Are you trying to achieve a certain tactical style and this is the end result?  If you are trying to achieve a certain tactical style, what tactical settings are you using?  What Traits do your players have which will impact those settings?

Or are you not too bothered about a certain style and just want to see some good football?

I'm not saying it's your tactics - far from it, especially as I have no idea what your tactics are - however while you wait for SI to change things more to your liking there may be changes you can make in the interim which might help your enjoyment.  Post your system, someone may be able to offer some options because not everyone is finding the game unplayable.

Not sure it matters much though. Maybe you can keep working on the tactics to precisely find some workarounds for the known issues, to a certain degree only, in the mean time every youtube video that I watch, with different streamers with completely different tactics, produces the same type of highlights every single game. 

7 ore fa, saihtam ha scritto:

What tech advancements are you expecting more? We should be already there, but until min req are Intel Pentium 4 and 2gb of ram, we will never get out of this ME hole. They can go more complex or achieve more natural simulation if they use up the tech power that is available.

I agree and I think it's time to do it and also to have the game using all cores when processing.

Yes, I've i7-7700k and 32GB of fast RAM. :D

Edited by Delvi

22 minutes ago, Kingstontom88 said:

I think this may be the most disappointing FM I can remember - it's a shame, because while there are so many good things about it, the ME has spoiled this for me. I keep coming back to the game and play two matches, then disappear again. It is the heart of everything you work for in the game, to see tactics play out and certain kinds of football being differentiated. But it is monotonous and error-strewn.

- Behaviour of players at throw ins, human and AI, are just mad - very little marking or positional sense

- Any winger who picks the ball up from half way line or thereabouts will surge forward, space permitting, unchallenged by the brainless defence who back off, and drive the ball in to the side netting/across goal to the point of insanity (well documented). Decision making is woeful - I should not have to check 'shoot less often' to prevent this (not that that even works) - this has not been an issue in any recent versions so far as I can remember

- Crosses seem to be heavily restricted and teams are able to cut the ball back and play like Barce in and around the box. Very repetitive - at least in all games I watch?

- 1v1s, I mean - another well documented event, I know - but I would probably fair so much better playing a high line and letting the oppo play the ball in behind full well knowing 9/10 the striker will not score - they will either not get the shot away, will scuff well wide, or hit it straight against the keeper. From what I'm seeing, forward goalscoring records are poor; wingers are king.

- and that's it - I can't fault the rest. Dev centre, training, club vision - all big ticks - and I enjoy the usual aspects and additional little nuggets to be found.

I may have missed a few things on the ME, but it is immersion breaking for me at the moment. There is so little variety and yet so many goals, even in matches outside of my control. Can only hope the next patch produces something more polished.

This sums it up for me. Is this post constructive? Absolutely imo, as long as you are willing to accept criticism and work on it. These are all well documented, and some of them have been there since FM19. I am definitely not on board with disrespectful posts, but I also don't think it is fair to keep asking for pkm's (especially when those hundreds/thousands? that were uploaded last year were not addressed yet) and otherwise dismiss the posts as 'not constructive'. 

7 hours ago, saihtam said:

And immediately - and I mean immediately - cut off a huge portion of their market.  What use is a "natural simulation" if sales are down 50% because people can't play?  You might think that's overegging it, but I'm sure they've hinted at statistics that you'd be surprised at how many people play on really terrible systems.

1 saat önce, herne79 said:

Actually the total of all these are make it unplayable for me. I don’t want to struggle with “known bugs”. I don’t want to make tactics for or against these bugs. 

It’s more than 1 month since beta but some known bugs still there. 1v1s and 2v1s mean a lot in football as you know. Also wing play too. But this 2-3 main attacking options are buggy. Yes maybe there are few other ways. But this is not like other strategy games. And so i want to play football not to solve a puzzle or something else :)

By the way thanks for your detailed and nice answer.

Edited by srvngrc

3 hours ago, Svenc said:

Do you recognize any difference in my Video though compared to the majority of on on ones the game creates (also the Buggy, badly defended wide ones?) Since they#re quite blatant to me.

Not really because I'm only referring to the ones which seem absolutely clear, not the ones where it seems fair enough they would fail to score a lot. I've also noticed that the body shape rarely looks right - you know the Henry-esque opening the body out to curl it into the far corner. Maybe it's just the camera angle I use, but I never see that. And the body shape in general often just doesn't look right in these situations.

18 minutes ago, forameuss said:

And immediately - and I mean immediately - cut off a huge portion of their market.  What use is a "natural simulation" if sales are down 50% because people can't play?  You might think that's overegging it, but I'm sure they've hinted at statistics that you'd be surprised at how many people play on really terrible systems.

But that doesn't need to be the case. FM is suffering from a scalability issue. No-one wants to see people with lower-spec machines shut out (though there has to be a limit)., but the game should be detecting the spec of your machine and configuring accordingly.  Those playing on decent gaming rigs should be seeing much better in-game (ME) graphics. Screens should be reconfiguring to take advantage of high dpi screens that many now have. At the moment it feels that we are constrained to the lowest common denominator - good coding can overcome that.

Jump over to the FMT feedback and the same issue exists where more powerful tablets are being underutilised because it won't detect the spec and allow more leagues to be used when the machine can take it.

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

Immersion is everything. If you can't immerse yourself in the game it's just a glorified puzzle. I'm confident it will get sorted so I'm just waiting til it does, hopefully before xmas.

6 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

But that doesn't need to be the case. FM is suffering from a scalability issue. No-one wants to see people with lower-spec machines shut out (though there has to be a limit)., but the game should be detecting the spec of your machine and configuring accordingly.  Those playing on decent gaming rigs should be seeing much better in-game (ME) graphics. Screens should be reconfiguring to take advantage of high dpi screens that many now have. At the moment it feels that we are constrained to the lowest common denominator - good coding can overcome that.

Jump over to the FMT feedback and the same issue exists where more powerful tablets are being underutilised because it won't detect the spec and allow more leagues to be used when the machine can take it.

Which is a fair point, but do you believe they haven't made these decisions in-house?  Scalability is already evident inside the game, so why did they stop there?  Couldn't be arsed?  Or is it more likely that it isn't possible to properly scale in the one "box" without fragmenting the game into "FM Basic Bitch" and "FM Master Race"?  

The latter one is clearly an issue, and that is definitely something that can be looked at given it's done in the main game.  But I doubt we're going to see multiple versions of the engine based on people's resources, and it's not going to be easy to code one that can sit in one codebase,  and either smarten up or dumb down based on what the game has available to it.  It's a really complex issue, and like I said, I imagine SI have had endless discussions about this kind of thing.  It's kind of their business to make the best product they can, given that gets them the greatest profit.  If they believed they could do this while not sacrificing the lower-end market, I'd imagine they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Not sure where to put this but when I set my HOYD to make offers and offer contracts to young players for U23 and U18, but for me to finalise the deals, it's not giving me the option to finalise the deal. It signs whoever they offer (well provided they don't accept an offer elsewhere of course).

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

Yup they are known issues.  

Has it been acknowledged in which ways exactly? Defending: check. 1vs1s come About too easily, still. Dribble as well as Long ball. Decision making in final third: Wingers blasting it also, likely. Yet, has anybody conducted Long-term conversion ratios? ANd also tried to made a difference between those one on ones. The most important factors being distance towards the goal, angle to the Goal, pressure on the Defender.

There seem guys on this claiming they find the conversions to be Pretty fine. Meanwhile, with my unrealistic tactics I am spamming Kinds all over the matches that are converted at slightly above 50ish rates (albeit ones that see the Forward in LOADS of time with miles between the next Defender and the Forward). Then there are Players who Claim they haven't seen one scored in 100 attempts. As exaggerated the latter may be, this can only Point to the same Thing likewise: Not all of them are equal, and which ones are created depends, again, on the tactics, as they influence not merely the assist, but also what Players tend to finish them, and from which angles they would Approach the goalmouth and under which Kind of pressure and at which pace exactly.

If this is ever to be a realistic Football Simulation, surely somebody had done something a Little deeper than me already. :D 

Edited by Svenc

3 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Which is a fair point, but do you believe they haven't made these decisions in-house?  Scalability is already evident inside the game, so why did they stop there?  Couldn't be arsed?  Or is it more likely that it isn't possible to properly scale in the one "box" without fragmenting the game into "FM Basic Bitch" and "FM Master Race"?  

I'm sure they have, but an outsider doesn't know whether the decisions have been taken on a technical basis, just to avoid extra costs, or being too risk averse to carry out a thorough (new generation) update.

The ME is obviously the key thing that needs to be consistent across the series, but there should be much greater scope to improve the presentation (of the matches and elsewhere) on higher spec machines without fragmenting the base. 

The game is slipping backwards year on year compared to other games. There is a point where a game feels too last generation even for diehard players (Sim City 4 died long before a worthy contender for the city builder crown appeared).

On 01/12/2019 at 19:45, Svenc said:

What if the majority of those ones aren't as good as the Posters think they were? I mean we're talking guys here who suspect the game would end in hockey scorelines consistently -- apparently these all must be 1 in 2 chances or easier. That's actually, if anything the Long-term issue from my end (not merely FM 20, mind). Unlike the ones I posted in my video above, quite a few of one on ones in-game are not that easy, so perfectly possible to miss 7 of the lesser ones (those shouldn't happen in a single match mind you). Add to that the shots on target purely form the set piece… headers under pressure will never have the same Chance as a tap-in, unless this was going to be FIfa. Given their average numbers in a match, defending actually can't be all that bad, which is crucial as to balancing this in the future. Every single set piece is the result of a defense getting a foot into a move somehow still, after all.

At FM we're still at the stage where Players see 30 shots on the spreadsheet an immediately assume there MUST be like at least 3 Goals in there. That's so not Football. Until SI communicate better what they Code / consider as better and worse chances, then this debate will continue forever, though. :DAnd yes, the defending leading to those one on ones Needs to be adressed, same as the selfish decision making in the final third, and possibly somewhat their conversion.

I'd really like to know what the "official" stance is on this. The frequency is likely acknowledged, the defending also. Plus how selfish guys are. What About the rest? Will it be worthwile at all to defend in the low block and frustrate the heck out of Opposition by forcing them to shots in limited space, or are SI going down the FIfa route of lots of neato goals. Will it be possible one day to replicate Burnley 2017, given the aim is Football sim proper?

@MBarbaric What is and isn't a one on one may actually be part of the issue. The Norwich against Arsenal one was adressed as such in numerous press today. As to Analytics, Norwich didn't have a single "big Chance". On FM this would have been a "CCC" likely for sure. However, that is not saying much, as that stat is a purely semantic one, and obviously disconnected from the actual Chance of scoring inside the ME.

The points highlighted I totally agree with.

The concern is that we're seeing so many missed one on ones (and I am of the belief that we see way too many) and side nets from impossible angles because if they tweaked these things, we would see hockey scorelines. And that obviously is part of a much bigger problem with the ME.

I don't see a great variety of goals. Mostly set pieces and crosses with some long shots mixed in. I do see a lot of hoofs over the top leading to one on ones that are missed. 

So the concern is that we're maxed out on 'organic' goals (i.e. a realistic number) and one on ones are made awful to keep them at that number. 

A season and a half in and it's become unplayable for me. I thought it was maybe down to my tactics/players that my strikers have no involvement in the game and my wingers and full-backs keep smashing the ball into the side netting. It's been doing my nut in trying to work around this - signing full backs based on their crossing stats etc - so it's actually a relief to come on here and read that it's happening to everyone.

I played the mobile version for a few years until finally getting the full version this year and I genuinely enjoyed that more. Even though the highlights were in 2D and there are less features, there was a more realistic range of goals which makes watching your team more exciting.

I've made the decision not to open the game up again until I see an update that solves the issues with the ME.

Edited by Rwilliams90

On 01/12/2019 at 20:43, JPChenet said:

My feedback... don't waste your time, it's my feedback after all.

After playing FFM2for only a short while I said i wouldn't buy again since playing this game series since 1983, however I did. I must say what an idiot I am!!! Bought FM20 hoping that something had changed, but no... at 45 years old I now feel that I am conned year upon year paying a full a game price for what is apparent is only a patch. I feel I am playing a game that is way behind the times; the repeatitive hilights are reminesent of Amiga days - I'd hate to think of the hours and money I've spent in years gone by on this game. The game game is starting to feel like a classic, not an up-to-date title and as such will be uninstalling the game after only 87 hours. I feel it's now the end of a chapter for me where I'll say to others "I used to play FM". If I was Miles i'd be questionning how honest SI are... the game or the money? This game is 5 years behind and because there is no one to push the title you seem happy to sit on it, particularly when Miles is seen steaming talking about 21 and 22 titles. Well I'm sorry -  you're not doing it with my money anymore. This game needs a 30% improvement on everything.

Nowbefore you lot get critical... I bought Football Manager in 1983 on Spectrum, played ALL the CM's and FM's; I've tested, been in the game itself, managed and coached - you won't find many more people experienced than me in game and real football environments. I'm not being negative for the sake of it.

I am now uninstalling the game... i'm done - forever.

Just buy it every 2-3 years? You should notice more difference and save yourself a few quid.

Your CV suggests you know what an annual release means with SI/FM. Evolution not revolution. I never understand why people buy it every year and then complain it's not worth full game price every year. You know what you're getting, surely?

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

But it is inevitable. I understand the concern they have on sale loss and people who might not be able to upgrade. But life is in constant progress and this needs to happen. Second hand market offers very good notebooks or even desktops to use for gaming. Years ago I bought used desktop for around 250 euros that played wither 3 on 1080p medium.

They are in monopoly currently as noone is going against them, they have this luxury but they will lose players at one point. People see progress everywhere around them and why FM could go with them. 4GB should be bare minimum as basic OS is needing it. If they develop simulation on mind of these low specs, we wont see any progress. These min specs have been around for 4-5 years already I think. We are circling around small things, one FM some aspects are good other broken, next FM we have the opposite.

I recommend looking into Bethesda Creation Engine(or all that Fallout crash they finally had) what they based on their old game engine and it is so behind in gaming world, but they still insist on using and giving out empty promises. 

1 hour ago, rp1966 said:

I am not even talking about graphics, that can stay the same all i care. The issue is more using CPU and Ram for better and complex simulation and to be honest these are the most cheapest part to have computer, the GPU will cost the majority of money. U cant have scalabel version for simulation. For graphics there are graphics options and 2d or 3d.

If they wan to keep both sides happy they should have two versions of the game like they already have. The lite version for tablets and weaker PC. Then the main version for PC.