Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

part of them using exploit tactics and their knowledge of football is so low that they even not see any issues of ME. This is not an insult or a negative in their direction.
I check how many downloads of this type of tactics happened in few famous resources - 5k-25k downloads for separate goodrated tactic.

Just a remark who use argumeent about 60k online as measure for something

Thats what  I think, this version is a plug and play one.

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

part of them using exploit tactics and their knowledge of football is so low that they even not see any issues of ME. This is not an insult or a negative in their direction.
I check how many downloads of this type of tactics happened in few famous resources - 5k-25k downloads for separate goodrated tactic.

Just a remark who use argumeent about 60k online as measure for something

Steam workshop shows top tactics:

1. 30,686     Current Subscribers
2. 18,222    
3. 12,898    

16 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

Semantics. The outcome is the same. Humans make errors, computers don't, therefore VAR in FM20 won't change decisions, it's quite easy to understand.

Not semantics and don't be patronizing. You say it yourself: humans make errors, computers don't. So sometimes, when the human didn't make an error and VAR does a check, it confirms the prior result. Sometimes, the human made an error and VAR does a check and changes the prior result. It seems however that in FM20 it is always the same end result: the referee made an error and it is overruled by VAR. If this is the case in FM20 that every time the VAR does a check it overrules the referee's decision, then there is no variability in the VAR events in the game, while IRL there is variability.

• Administrators
40 minutes ago, saihtam said:

Steam workshop shows top tactics:

1. 30,686     Current Subscribers
2. 18,222    
3. 12,898    

Bear in mind when we talk about that 60k number, that's players at the same time. The numbers of players per day or week is significantly higher, but not available via Steam stats publicly. Miles often tweets out random FM related stats, so his account is worth following if you're interested in that type of thing. 

6 hours ago, Pasonen said:

The logic to shoot near post with a stronger right foot. When far corner is wide open for the better leg. :D 

He can't hit a barn door to save his life. Thank you for the laughs and i know how it feels when it happens to me ( way too often ) , but I got used to it.

( reply was meant for Nick_CB )

Edited by andu1

With no update in sight on the short term, i made an extended visit to the tactics forum to see if I can improve my 4-4-2 without thinking too much at the flaws of the ME. Not surprisingly, there are many useful threads which helped me make a more balanced tactic and somewhat enjoy the game once again.

I discovered that using "counter press" is a magnet of inviting the opposition to make through balls over your defence. If in FM 19 counter-press was a must have, in FM 20 I genuinely will not touch that instruction unless i manage the best team in game.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb sidslayer:

“Cross it! Cross it! Omg ... cross the bloody ball!”

Me. Every. Game.

And the game answers: "no i won't! No i won't! Hell no - i surely won't!" :-)

Another user summarised the problems yesterday very well:

We've strikers who can't score, defenders who can't defend and wingers who can't cross.

1 hour ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

Not semantics and don't be patronizing. You say it yourself: humans make errors, computers don't. So sometimes, when the human didn't make an error and VAR does a check, it confirms the prior result. Sometimes, the human made an error and VAR does a check and changes the prior result. It seems however that in FM20 it is always the same end result: the referee made an error and it is overruled by VAR. If this is the case in FM20 that every time the VAR does a check it overrules the referee's decision, then there is no variability in the VAR events in the game, while IRL there is variability.

That's what I said. FM20 = Computer game therefore VAR is just cosmetic. Again, quite easy to read in my first comment.

3 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

That's what I said. FM20 = Computer game therefore VAR is just cosmetic. Again, quite easy to read in my first comment.

basically you are saying FM20 doesn't strive to simulate realism. I was of the idea FM20 does strive to simulate real football...

And BTW, the VAR isn't always making the right decision either...

Edited by DJ Sir Matthew

VAR is one those things that, I suppose, has to be represented in FM because it's part of the real game, but in reality it's another of many aspects of football that doesn't really translate into the computer game environment very well.

I'm more concerned about goal line technology than VAR - I mean, what's with the utterly useless camera angle that doesn't really show the relationship between ball and line properly?  It was far better before - just another needless regressive change.

Edited by rp1966

10 minutes ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

basically you are saying FM20 doesn't strive to simulate realism. I was of the idea FM20 does strive to simulate real football...

And BTW, the VAR isn't always making the right decision either...

Not gonna go on and on and on with this. I did explain already why VAR always confirms the play under review in FM20. Take care.

I don't seem to get the concept of VAR or goal line technology . If neither was present does not the Game / Computer define what was a goal of not . Surely the game did not make mistakes in the past Series ?

In the real world you rarely hear about Messi being linked with a move elsewhere, there was a little talk of English commentators made a story about him finishing his on pitch time in England. but not club is actively linked to a rumor with the player.

Neymar wasn't on PSG public shopping list and it wasn't pressure from PSG that made him move.

Bale even when pushed out of the club, seem to have trouble generating interest.

So why is my league and Champions League winning Barcelona team struggling with most of the first team being wanted by others?

Unless some of these players pull a Neymar, because I'm not playing them enough or they got "old" and want a new challenge, I just don't see why I'm under any kind of pressure to sell the player at all. Not to mention dealing with million press conferences and stuff about players being wanted is getting fing annoying.

It's a computer it can do the same damn thing a trillion times, I as a human being is not really able to deal with it, so tone it down already. 

I just had Benifica trying to buy a first team player, so I negotiated the bid to the release clause and the damn game just ignored it and spammed me with bids. At least respect the fing asking price to turn off bids.

Edited by Miravlix

Just now, prot651 said:

I don't seem to get the concept of VAR or goal line technology . If neither was present does not the Game / Computer define what was a goal of not . Surely the game did not make mistakes in the past Series ?

On goal line technology - in previous editions where it existed, it mostly came up for goals disallowed having not fully crossed the line; very occasionally it gave the goals - the balance was such that when I got my first goal allowed it was such a shock that I'd already assumed it had been disallowed.  I don't think GLT's implementation in FM (with an appropriate camera angle) is too bad, as normally it comes up in an ambiguous situation.

It main problem used to be that if the ball got cleared on the line and then tapped in by a player following up (not a problem in FM20, because the follow-up is going to be saved by a teleporting goalie anyway)  you got a GLT animation after the real goal had gone in and it got quite confusing.

3 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

On goal line technology - in previous editions where it existed, it mostly came up for goals disallowed having not fully crossed the line; very occasionally it gave the goals - the balance was such that when I got my first goal allowed it was such a shock that I'd already assumed it had been disallowed.  I don't think GLT's implementation in FM (with an appropriate camera angle) is too bad, as normally it comes up in an ambiguous situation.

It main problem used to be that if the ball got cleared on the line and then tapped in by a player following up (not a problem in FM20, because the follow-up is going to be saved by a teleporting goalie anyway)  you got a GLT animation after the real goal had gone in and it got quite confusing.

In FM17 Var wasn't not present so did not the Game / Computer define what was a goal of not anyway is my question

18 minutes ago, prot651 said:

In FM17 Var wasn't not present so did not the Game / Computer define what was a goal of not anyway is my question

The game always knows internally whether it's a goal or not. The point of GLT/VAR being represented in game is that these things exist in the real game because IRL referees make mistakes and the technology has been introduced to  (in theory) reduce that. 

For FM it's just a cosmetic thing that's meant to increase immersion - I think for GLT it does that; VAR is a bit too vague and human-judgement based to translate, in my opinion.

EDIT:  I also think that both are pretty pointless in highlights modes below comprehensive. 

Edited by rp1966

2 minutes ago, The Threadstarter said:

just a quick question, can someone please tell me where is the column for Agreed playing time?

say you have the contract view in the squad and I wanna add the said column. Can't seem to find it in the dropdowns.

Insert column - Transfer

Edited by craigcwwe

On 15/01/2020 at 14:18, SuperRedditch said:

FM 2019 - Patch 19.3.0 - March 1st 2019

FM 2018 - Patch 18.3.0 - March 1st 2018

FM 2017 - Patch 17.3.0 - March 1st 2017

FM 2016 - Patch 16.3.0 - March 4th 2016

FM 2015 - Patch 15.3.0 - February 25th 2015

FM 2014 - Patch 14.3.0 - February 28th 2014

I'm not going further back than that. Anyone expecting a patch anytime soon is going to be extremely disappointed. The next patch will be 20.3.0 for the Winter Transfer Update and will include any ME tweaks that SI have been working on. First week of March is a good estimate. That's the history, those are the facts. They aren't going to release a patch mid-January when most of the transfers haven't even happened yet. Besides, it's another 6 weeks they get to work on the ME and oh boy does it need it.

Btw, I think final patches of last four editions of the game didn't feature relevant ME changes despite reported and acknowledged issues (e.g. lack of central play and strikers movement in FM 19), because of complexity and balance of ME itself and potential knock-on effects. Just saying.

2 hours ago, andu1 said:

With no update in sight on the short term, i made an extended visit to the tactics forum to see if I can improve my 4-4-2 without thinking too much at the flaws of the ME. Not surprisingly, there are many useful threads which helped me make a more balanced tactic and somewhat enjoy the game once again.

I discovered that using "counter press" is a magnet of inviting the opposition to make through balls over your defence. If in FM 19 counter-press was a must have, in FM 20 I genuinely will not touch that instruction unless i manage the best team in game.

I agree, without asking my own questions, I've read some useful advices, and seeing some of it worked reduces my frustration against the ME.

Also, I tend to watch matches for a longer time (the setting was "key moments", now I use "extended" or "comprehensive"), which helped me to have a better understanding of some sights of the ME.

Not perfect but enjoyable, I even have a decrease number of 1 vs 1 and long balls yesterday. Of course it's maybe a coincidence, but I almost believed that a patch has been downloaded without I noticed.

15 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Public Beta (with Match Engine changes) is available now. All the details, instructions and a changelist can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/topic/511298-football-manager-2020-public-beta-including-match-engine-changes-out-now/

Praise the lord! Praise the SI! 

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Make a copy of your save game before going to the public beta. 

Honestly, do this people. As the public beta says, it is still a work in progress, and if an issue crops up that breaks your save, you don't want to be stuck with no prior non-beta save.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Honestly, do this people. As the public beta says, it is still a work in progress, and if an issue crops up that breaks your save, you don't want to be stuck with no prior non-beta save.

Have to say this would be extremely unlikely given the changes included in this version, but yes, always worth backing up just in case as it says in the instructions.

51 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Public Beta (with Match Engine changes) is available now. All the details, instructions and a changelist can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/topic/511298-football-manager-2020-public-beta-including-match-engine-changes-out-now/

OMG. Thank you Neil. Downloading now. Excited

Refused all my current plans and played few games in different styles ASAP :D

In first impression it works MUCH better. No long passing, realistic mistakes, feeling of player attributes and team play exactly what I asked :thup: 
Checked balanced mentality vertical tiki-taka and cautious 4231 aka Mourinho and classic positive tikitaka of very slow and very short passing.

All formations and roles were realistic and it's really enjoyable. Really happy :) 

Edited by Novem9