Striker isolation

Hi there, well first of all, you need runners from deep. You have runners from wide, but I do not see anyone making forward runs from deep positions in the midfield. I suggest changing the role of the AP to a simple attacking mid and see how the duties work together. But other runner can be a as shadow striker as well.

The more important question is why do you want him to have more touches of the ball?

If it's because want your lone striker to be contributing more to the build up play then an Advanced Forward is probably the worst role you could choose to achieve that.

From my perspective, the AF is a more technically gifted Poacher who will sit the highest up the pitch of all the striker roles. Much like a Poacher, his job isn't to create for others but to position himself in good positions to enable him to get off a good shot with minimal touches of the ball.

As you are managing AC Milan which are one of the better sides in Italy and would be considered favourites against a team such as APOEL, the opposition have most likely setup their tactic more defensively and are playing on a lower mentality. This brings a problem for you as the space the AF wants to operate in (behind the oppositions defensive line and in the channels) is exactly the space which is being compressed by the opposition.

It is also possible that he is being marked out of the game (which is easy to do with the 2 central defenders). I agree with @robot_skeleton's suggestion of having some runs coming from the middle of the park. The aim being to provide distraction runs from deep which pull the defensive line forward by occupying the space which they are ceding to you (in front of their deeper defensive line). Hopefully, the deep runners draw the attention of the players defending the middle which enables the AF to find space in behind.

It also wouldn't hurt to provide some early width to open up the channels a bit for him by pulling the opposition fullbacks wider. Your fullbacks are providing width but it's later width so by the time they get forward the opposition are largely set in their defensive shape and thus less likely to be drawn out of it. There are some others issues with the tactic but I'll just stick with that unless you would like me to elaborate.

Best Regards

Just now, DarJ said:

Thanks for the response.

@pheelf could you elaborate more on the issues with the tactics

It's a matter of you making some choices which I wouldn't have such as:

- Selecting Shorter Passing

- Putting the DLP(D) on the side of the FB(S) and not the FB(A)

- Using a Carrilero

- Playing with 2 #10s (IF & AP) and 2 #9s (AF & IW)

- Selecting Low Crosses

- Using 5 playmaker type roles (SK, BPD, DLP, AP, IF) in the same system

- Opting to defend narrower

You may well have valid reasons why you have made those choices but for me when you combine those things together it makes the system fairly unbalanced, in my view.

All the best

The strikers is the AML and AMR, you need to not use AMR/AML as Insiders if you want to make a tactics that focus on the strikers, if it has to be AMR/AML based they need to be at least wingers that keep trying to deliver crosses to the striker.

Insiders and mid field players has no way of reaching a AF striker, except if it's a  contra and they can use through ball's or pass from the sideline before they run inside.

With insiders the tactics is for them to score the goals and all the striker does is prevent defenders from abandoning the area around him, he is not and will never be the main goal score.

Even with attacking DR/DL they will deliver the ball to the Insiders, not the striker, so that is again useless for creating a tactics that focus on the striker as goal score.

@Miravlix I want the AF to get most of the goals and the IF on support to get some as well, that's why I set him to support not attack and I chose the IW because technically his main objective is not to score but to create chances.

I'll look to change one of the CMs to a B2B or the AMC to an AM on attack 

Never managed to get much from Piatek. He's my perennial underperformer. He works better as a poacher though.

Even in real life he doesn't much beside goalscoring (and he hasn't been scoring). I'd consider a role for him to create space, his off the ball movement is really good in the game. Perhaps a CF-Su with a runner from midfield. 

He sucks in my Milan save and nothing works with him though.

4 minutes ago, lferreira said:

Never managed to get much from Piatek. He's my perennial underperformer. He works better as a poacher though.

Even in real life he doesn't much beside goalscoring (and he hasn't been scoring). I'd consider a role for him to create space, his off the ball movement is really good in the game. Perhaps a CF-Su with a runner from midfield. 

He sucks in my Milan save and nothing works with him though.

he scored over 20 goals in the previous season 

3 minutes ago, DarJ said:

he scored over 20 goals in the previous season 

You mean IRL? More like 30+. This season, however, he has been struggling. I think he has 2 goals or something.

For me he got something like 12-13, but mostly from penalties. He squanders too many chances and Cutrone on the other hand is way more lively and creates more for my team. I play two strikers though.

3 minutes ago, lferreira said:

You mean IRL? More like 30+. This season, however, he has been struggling. I think he has 2 goals or something.

For me he got something like 12-13, but mostly from penalties. He squanders too many chances and Cutrone on the other hand is way more lively and creates more for my team. I play two strikers though.

I mean for me in my game... i'm in my third season now

I'm a Milan supporter in real life and I watch all their games and I don't like him that much IRL but he's good okay in the game