Jump to content

[FM20] Manchester United: Falling Giant...


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, sedge11 said:

Henderson has been my no1 for 2 and half seasons and does excellent, even won world goalkeeper of the year in season 5.

I mean, that is great for you. Objectively, he has a fixed PA of 155, that means there are absolutely better options for an 'elite' club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

I mean, that is great for you. Objectively, he has a fixed PA of 155, that means there are absolutely better options for an 'elite' club.

No matter who you sign there will always be a better option, doresn't mean they are the right option for you. Like Sancho in your case, one of the best options on the game in the wide left position yet he's not right for you because of his determination, even though he would probably out perform any one in your team in the position.

I had a striker a few versions ago who had finishing of 8, scored 40 goals in his first season, never got his finishing or any stat related to a striker above 11, he was also the top scorer at the world cup when I won it with San Marino, was amazing some of his goals. I couldn't work it out. His PA was very low, can't ermember what it was but it was very low

Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course there will be always be a better option, but why stick with a player who is objectively worse than any number of other keepers?

I get the home grown/youth set up appeal, but being realistic you want your team to be the best it can be. That means you look (when you can) to upgrade your weakest points. If you're team is significally better in terms of ability, the goalkeeper would be the weak link.

I just do not get it? I mean, I get him as a back up to the first team, but not much beyond that.

I have not at any point said I do not want to sign Sancho :stop:, just that he has a low determination for me. Martial is another cut from the same cloth, low determination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Powello said:

On the way to proving Hansen wrong again, yeah not against a great team, but away with a very young team I'll take that result

KFl5RnZ.jpg

That is a belter of a result with that team....I would love to give you full tactic a go with some of the players I’ve got I’m my squad

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Powello said:

No matter who you sign there will always be a better option, doresn't mean they are the right option for you. Like Sancho in your case, one of the best options on the game in the wide left position yet he's not right for you because of his determination, even though he would probably out perform any one in your team in the position.

I had a striker a few versions ago who had finishing of 8, scored 40 goals in his first season, never got his finishing or any stat related to a striker above 11, he was also the top scorer at the world cup when I won it with San Marino, was amazing some of his goals. I couldn't work it out. His PA was very low, can't ermember what it was but it was very low

Yeah I totally agree, I can’t remember who it was but I know someone on the forum turned a left back into a 40+ goal a season striker a few versions back and I believe he was like a championship level player at best and yet he was world player of the year several times

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

 

Of course there will be always be a better option, but why stick with a player who is objectively worse than any number of other keepers?

 

Because he’s performing well in a team winning trophies, so why would need to replace him. Just because there’s better players doesn’t mean they will perform better.

If anything for me it was my defenders, who have better ability that were letting me down at times in season 6, making mistakes.

You sound like you seem to have abit of a problem people using and wanting to use a player like Henderson.

Link to post
Share on other sites

End of my first season...

Won the league! Had a really good season in terms of the league, had a major drop off in terms of goals/performances March/April time but recovered from that. I attempted to maintain the same starting team for the majority of the season, and most were able to remain injury free (bar a few niggles).

lPw6Sc7.png

Did well with team of the season! Lost on pens to Liverpool in the FA Cup final (Martial missed), won the League Cup and were knocked out of the Europa league.

Rashford had a good season overall;

Top goalscorer in the league, and young player of the year. De Gea got the golden glove.

lBZcyCL.png

 

Getting the band back together!

29ereHo.png

iCWzPAX.png

RjjGyrq.png

 

Looking towards next season;

EhFPug3.png

 

I still need to decide on a number of things; Martial for Sancho, but would that force Rashford to play elsewhere, would Sancho work on the right? De Gea for Donnarumma? Another good center midfielder please?

Hoepfully moving on to another chapter in their virtual careers will be; Sanchez, James, Rojo, Smalling... and maybe Dalot, Lindelof, Bailly, Chong/Gomes

 

Edited by Tummyowl
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's safe to say the search for CBs to improve the team won't be coming through the youth intake this year

W8AlJja.jpg

Although it looks like we have some decent potential in midfield and attack, which we already have anyway haha. Might be calls for a very attack heavy tactic next season lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Powello said:

It's safe to say the search for CBs to improve the team won't be coming through the youth intake this year

W8AlJja.jpg

Although it looks like we have some decent potential in midfield and attack, which we already have anyway haha. Might be calls for a very attack heavy tactic next season lol

You never know m, you get a lad in at CM with stats like Garner and you can always retrain him. So far the best player in each of the youth intakes to me have been a CB and an RB, but the RBs stats for that position are not great so I’m training him to be a CB instead

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

You never know m, you get a lad in at CM with stats like Garner and you can always retrain him. So far the best player in each of the youth intakes to me have been a CB and an RB, but the RBs stats for that position are not great so I’m training him to be a CB instead

True, I like retraining players, a few versions ago I retrained shaw into an IF-R, made him the new Bale hahaha

I'm looking forward to seeing who comes through in March, it sounds promising

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Powello said:

True, I like retraining players, a few versions ago I retrained shaw into an IF-R, made him the new Bale hahaha

I'm looking forward to seeing who comes through in March, it sounds promising

I’ve done it a few times, my favourite was a AM who I retrained to basically be Scholes/Pirlo and just played them in the DM slot as a DLPs, absolutely ran the game for me.

Yeah youth intakes are alway exciting but when it has the Golden Generation tag it’s a lot better

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zeonflux said:

I’ve done it a few times, my favourite was a AM who I retrained to basically be Scholes/Pirlo and just played them in the DM slot as a DLPs, absolutely ran the game for me.

Yeah youth intakes are alway exciting but when it has the Golden Generation tag it’s a lot better

I think it's misleading though as I have had that a couple of times on the other save and I got 1 great potential and 3 3 stars the rest were rubbish, we shall see what I get this one

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I=it's the january transfer window time and I have been looking for the one player I can sign, if I decide to get one, andI looked through Rices scout report and a few others because obviously CB is our weakest spot and it occured to me after our talk before about retraining players, United played Shaw at CB in real life. Looking at his stats he can easily become a top CB on the game, will just take some work, I have already also got TFM training as a BPD and he could do a good job there and I have Reece Devine in the first team squad who can cover Williams at LB. 

So I am going to trial Shaw at CB till the summer, if he does well then CB covered with Mengi, Axel, TFM, Luca and Will Fish all developing, plus Garner can step in.

I thnk ill wait till the summer before signing anyone now and also see what I get in the youth intake then go from there

UPDATE: SHaw was named in the team of the wkek in his first start at CB, not bad :) 

Edited by Powello
Link to post
Share on other sites

June 2024

utd24award1.thumb.PNG.eea355ef2057336c67ca016c03bc2c9d.PNG utd24award2.thumb.PNG.ea5a47e5c7ddf19d71a8c34a1ff5a77d.PNG  utd24award3.thumb.PNG.5c8f121cafde34d8b8c8919f175bdb73.PNG 

Said at the start of the season I needed a striker to step up to the plate and Rashford was that man. First season we've had the top goalscorer in the league.  Kane improved in his second season here netting 14 in the league too.  We went from 71 goals last season to 107 this campaign, our best return so far and first time over 100. Disappointed Liverpool dominate the team of the year despite how far ahead of them we were, putting it down to me rotating more.

utd24award4.thumb.PNG.c78ac729fc12303a176581dd5c4543c4.PNG utd24award5.thumb.PNG.75f6b598937beb7ae2e796097c860436.PNG utd24award6.thumb.PNG.5b6ec00ec2410ef78feba66e42289212.PNG

No surprises Rashford got player of the season with his 44 goals. Sancho returned to form after struggling with injuries last year, but as previously mentioned will probably be his last due to his wage demands and 1 year left on his current deal. Nice to see Unuvar get YPoTS after his big move and Upamecano slotted in alongside Dias nicely at the back. Laird getting into the best XI topped off a fine year as he earned himself a big contract.

utd24award7.thumb.PNG.8e89e78a122f29c027ccc51e473e762e.PNG utd24stadium.thumb.PNG.9dbdc139b0b30cb36012dae5952eac98.PNG

Successful season, trophy cabinet getting so full we need more room in the stadium to showcase them all. :lol:

Looking ahead I expect some significant movement out from the first team squad, maybe 5 or 6 players. Club world championship is next summer so I want to be winning that for the first time.

 

 

Edited by sean_oc16
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Powello said:

So I=it's the january transfer window time and I have been looking for the one player I can sign, if I decide to get one, andI looked through Rices scout report and a few others because obviously CB is our weakest spot and it occured to me after our talk before about retraining players, United played Shaw at CB in real life. Looking at his stats he can easily become a top CB on the game, will just take some work, I have already also got TFM training as a BPD and he could do a good job there and I have Reece Devine in the first team squad who can cover Williams at LB. 

So I am going to trial Shaw at CB till the summer, if he does well then CB covered with Mengi, Axel, TFM, Luca and Will Fish all developing, plus Garner can step in.

I thnk ill wait till the summer before signing anyone now and also see what I get in the youth intake then go from there

UPDATE: SHaw was named in the team of the wkek in his first start at CB, not bad :) 

Ah I didn’t think of retraining Shaw, that’s a quality choice there under your own self imposed restrictions.

Id also add that you could also have laird retrained to be LB as he is already able to play the position iirc

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed to move out James and Bailly so far.

Agreed to sign Sancho, and looking at Luis but unsure I would need him in addition to Pogba, Fernandes, Rice, Garner, Hannibal, and Bellingham.

De Ligt in defence, will give Mengi a chance in the first team too. So Rojo and Smalling are free to a good home too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

Agreed to move out James and Bailly so far.

Agreed to sign Sancho, and looking at Luis but unsure I would need him in addition to Pogba, Fernandes, Rice, Garner, Hannibal, and Bellingham.

De Ligt in defence, will give Mengi a chance in the first team too. So Rojo and Smalling are free to a good home too.

Since you have Rice you may not need Luis, but I will say I signed him for 50mil GBP in the first window and would do it again in a heartbeat. He's an absolute monster in the middle of the park.

I also sold Gomes for 14mil in 2022/23, he just wasn't cutting it, even out on loan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

Anyone really adept at finding youngsters after the youth intakes take place?

How do you do it? 

I'm looking to find youngsters I can sign on a free before they receive pro contracts. 

 

I just go look through clubs youth squads around the time I get my youth intake

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Limiax said:

Hiya all 

Just starting a new season with man utd 

Got a 50 mil transfer budget 

And one recommend transfer targets and who to move on?

Cheers

Decide how you want to play then look through your squad and find the ones that won't fit that styleor aren't good enough and get rid, then search for players who will fit it

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Juls317 said:

Since you have Rice you may not need Luis, but I will say I signed him for 50mil GBP in the first window and would do it again in a heartbeat. He's an absolute monster in the middle of the park.

I also sold Gomes for 14mil in 2022/23, he just wasn't cutting it, even out on loan.

I signed Luis for my promoted Sheffield Wednesday side and he was amazing. I am feeling like I will pick him up, I want another defensive minded midfielder and while I like Cook at Bournemouth... I do not fancy paying more then 40/50,000,000 for the midfielder and Bournemouth want 100,000,000+.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha! I have not seen that before.

I've managed to sign Sanchez to a much lower wage (150,000), and as I could not (literally) give him away, that will have to do. Will look at contracts for the rest of the squad too. Had offers for Martial, Lindlof, Bailly, James, Romero which should give me ~100,000,000~.

Luis, De Ligt, Sancho are my only signings of note.

Looking at bringing Ole back as my Under 18s Manager, with my Under 18s Manager (Suso Hernández) being offered the New York City job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

Hahaha! I have not seen that before.

It's been in the game for a while, just a way to get money out of the club if you have too much in the bank. Before then if you got to max amount it would loop around and suddenly you are in financial ruin.

 

8 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

Looking at bringing Ole back as my Under 18s Manager, with my Under 18s Manager (Suso Hernández) being offered the New York City job.

Nice if you can get Ole back, he's been at West Brom for 3 and a half seasons in my save, only job he's had since I took over.

Edited by sean_oc16
Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity anyone seen how gomes does? always has high potential but his mentality never really seems to stick, how does he fare with his positional role treq? always tried using a treq never really got it working. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BigV said:

Out of curiosity anyone seen how gomes does? always has high potential but his mentality never really seems to stick, how does he fare with his positional role treq? always tried using a treq never really got it working. 

He's doing well for me as an AP-s but does go missing in games, I'm only in my first season though. On my 6 year save I sold him after a few years as he never really developed due to me not taking it seriously, I'm hoping to change that on this save

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Powello said:

He's doing well for me as an AP-s but does go missing in games, I'm only in my first season though. On my 6 year save I sold him after a few years as he never really developed due to me not taking it seriously, I'm hoping to change that on this save

I was gonna say the same and for previous versions of FM too, as someone who stays in the hole his off the ball movement isnt utilised right? this is why I asked if anyone used the treq role, not seemed to have found one with a United save. 

AP roles to me have gone down in usefulness in CAM, dunno if its an ME issue or just the overall effect of other roles or whatever but as you said a minority have got a 4231 working. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

19/20 Youth Intake

Asusual, the words golden generation don't really seem accurate. I mean there are a 3 very promising players butthe rest are 3 star which for me, yeah could be good squad players bit not starters. 2 of those have determination of 2 and 3, which means they aren't going to develop either very well or in a decent amount of time.

jL38dEg.jpg

But Damn this striker looks very very promising and will be in the 1st team squad straight away as we only have Mason and Hoogewerf as striking options, yes we have Rashford but I will never class him as a striker.

Season So Far

It's not been a bad season so far, considering the quality of the squad.  

We made a mess of it in the FA Cup though which annoyed me, beating Stockport in the 3rd round set us up with a nice draw against Brentford. I thought it was an easy game so put out a pretty inexperienced, young side thinking they could cope but I was wrong as Brentford beat us 2-1.

But in the Carabao Cup we ehave exceded expectations, reaching the Final to get a tie against, of course, Liverpool. And the lads did me pround holding of their attacks, keeping a clean sheet somehow, and winning their first trophy. First of many I hope,

Lm3Q3a4.jpg

In the league, we started off predicted ro finisg 6th and will the weaker squad I knew things were going to be tough to get in the top 4. But I'm the kind of manager that demands trophies, I don't settle for a euro space, I want to win the league even with this squads quality. We were on course to do just that, but February was a poor month and we dropped 7 point then we faced Liverpool after beating them in the Carabao Cup, but this time lost 3-1 to them. The title race was so close beofre February but noe Chelsea are pulling away a bit

wutCnwP.jpg

Hoping for a strong end to the season

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tummyowl said:

Hahaha! I have not seen that before.

I've managed to sign Sanchez to a much lower wage (150,000), and as I could not (literally) give him away, that will have to do. Will look at contracts for the rest of the squad too. Had offers for Martial, Lindlof, Bailly, James, Romero which should give me ~100,000,000~.

Luis, De Ligt, Sancho are my only signings of note.

Looking at bringing Ole back as my Under 18s Manager, with my Under 18s Manager (Suso Hernández) being offered the New York City job.

Which luiz is it

Douglas?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

What do you do with Angel Gomes, Tahith Chong and James Garner at the beginning of a game? Loan to Sky bet league One ? I have disabled the first transfer window.

Edited by Akustik
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Akustik said:

 

What do you do with Angel Gomes and Tahith Chong at the beginning of a game? Loan to Sky bet league One ? 

I'm playing them both, but I have to lol. On my normal save I played them for till january then loaned them out I htink, Ching is still there after 6 seaosns, Gomes was sold

Update:- I am getting disappointed with Gomes, he's not really performing how I want, in the summer I am either going to sell him or loan him out, hes had a lot of chances and now Mejbri has overtaken him in the starting 11. Same with Chong, he's starting to fall behind James and Sotona and he doesn't fit my right sided role so don't know what to do with him, could retrain him for the AM spot but Mejbri is owning that 

Edited by Powello
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just sold chong and loaned out gomes going into season 3 they both had plenty of game time to impress but were to inconsistent gomes was used the most on the left but just never done enough gonna see if a season on loan helps him with him being a regular

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Powello said:

I'm playing them both, but I have to lol. On my normal save I played them for till january then loaned them out I htink, Ching is still there after 6 seaosns, Gomes was sold

Update:- I am getting disappointed with Gomes, he's not really performing how I want, in the summer I am either going to sell him or loan him out, hes had a lot of chances and now Mejbri has overtaken him in the starting 11. Same with Chong, he's starting to fall behind James and Sotona and he doesn't fit my right sided role so don't know what to do with him, could retrain him for the AM spot but Mejbri is owning that 

Have you tried him on the left as Inside forward(A)?His long range shooting should see a few belters going in the back of the net.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, axehan1 said:

Have you tried him on the left as Inside forward(A)?His long range shooting should see a few belters going in the back of the net.

I did on my other save thats 6 seasons in but he never did well, on this one I have slightly changedthe tactic so he can't play there now. Before the change I tried a few times and again he did nothing and dropped behind about 4 players.  I really want him to work in the AM slot but can't get him working there either, don't even realise hes playing most of the time he'does that bad

Link to post
Share on other sites

Youth Development Season 1 Review

With the starting squad I had this this season I always knew it wasn't going to be an easy one, yet I stil wanted to win trophies. That's just me, I am greedy and have to win. As I said earlier we lost in the FA Cup 4th round to Brentford, which was a low point as the team I put out, albeit young, should have won. The Carabao cup was a different story as we beat Liverpool 2-0 in the final, that was most pleasing as, as we all know, they are tough to beat with a strong team.

That brings us to the Europa League. The group stage was easy as we won all 6 games, setting us up with a first round knockout tie against Torino. We lost the first leg away 1-0 but won the second leg 2-0. It was a good performance and a great defensive display. Next up was Lyon, potentially tricky and the strongest team we had met so far. The first leg proved that as we drew 2-2 at home meaning we had to win by at least 1 goal, or draw 2-2 and win on pens, to advance. Unfortnuatly we lost the 2nd leg 2-1 thanks to a Depay opener and a 94th min equaliser by Traore. So our European dream was over for this year. But if we have to look for some consolation, Lyon have made the final. They might even win it against Arsenal, so at least we lost to one of the 2 best sides in the comp this year lol

So it was all down to the league, and after 19 games we were sitting nicely joint top with Chelsea after a strong start. But we couldn't shake them, and started dropping silly points thanks to late equalisers/losing goals and out form and morle suffered. From February to the end of March we had dropped around 15 points drawing and losing, we only won 2 games in a 2 month period, we didn't lose many of them but struggled to find winners. I made a few tactical tweaks and we ended the season strong sealing a champions league spot with 4 games to go

HBrRqX6.jpg

All in all, as much as I want to win every trophy, with the squad I had and only Bellingham added to it, it was always going to be a tall order to win the league. But we onlty finished 8 points off Chelsea so we aren't that far away from winning a title really and if we hadn't had that slump in Feb/March then who knows we might have won it. Just like the real United, draws ruind our season. We conceded far to many late goals which is a worry but I think I have stopped that now with the new tactic, well at least limited them to very little.

Below is the squad we had and how they did. You can see all the youth I played, compare our squad to City, Chelsea and Liverpool and I am happy overall with how the season went.

NySTchD.jpg
OdAStPf.jpg
W7EnGgz.jpg

Going Forward

So as I have found we have some promising players in the squad, especially those 3 from the youth intake. Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the 5 star potential striker from the youth intake scored on his first start for the team so that's always good. I have a stronger knowledge of the quality in the squads now, some players will be gone next season, either transfered or loaned out. Still deciding what to do with Gomes and Chong, although I may have found a role Gomes works in, but I need to test it more.

The board have said I'll have around 269m to spend so plenty, especially as I am only allowed to bring in 2 players max for the first team. I haven't decided who or even if I am going for anyone yet, all depends whats needed after I cut some players form the first team squad.

If any one wants to see how players have developed just let me know the name/s and ill put a screenshot up. Now to see if I can milk a club dry for De Gea, really wishing I hadn't made that rule now, would rather have him one more year whilst I develop Hendo but oh well, I made the rule up haha

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoying your youth rule, feel rather inspired. I've been trying to do that with my latest save and started Greenwood first season up top alongside Martial and they both got 35+ goals each, in all comps!

Gomes plays Left midfield for me as a winger and I get some success out of him. He's not first choice - that's Rashford - but always does well enough when required! 

Genuinely gutted you didn't keep Maguire around for the mentoring! Good luck with next season :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jedd95 said:

Really enjoying your youth rule, feel rather inspired. I've been trying to do that with my latest save and started Greenwood first season up top alongside Martial and they both got 35+ goals each, in all comps!

Gomes plays Left midfield for me as a winger and I get some success out of him. He's not first choice - that's Rashford - but always does well enough when required! 

Genuinely gutted you didn't keep Maguire around for the mentoring! Good luck with next season :)

 

5 minutes ago, Jedd95 said:

Ps. I would scrap your Ddg rule for one more season. He will be perfect mentor for Hendo before he takes that number 1 Jerzey!!

Thank you, glad to hear I have inspired someone. Damn dude how did you get 70 goals between them? what tactic are you using?

He never worked for me out there, I now have him in the cm spot and first game he linked up well with Bruno and Mason, not judging on one game but it's a nice start. This season coming up is his last chance for me, well he has till January as long as I play him often, Mejbri is playing well in that spot so he has workbid he's not going to do or he's gone.

Yeah at the time of doing the database changes I completely forgot about mentoring and that he would be good for it, pretty annoyed with myself, especially as hes now at City lol

Well I have offered Dave out for 100m but no one wants him, I have told him to find a new club already so it might be too late. I said I have to sell him, but not for small money, if I don't get a decent amount for him then he's not leaving,

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...