Players current and potential ability ratings changing

So I play with Man Utd and am referring to Mason Greenwood.  He plays as an Inside Forward (ATK) on the right side now and he excels in that position.  I'm almost done my 2nd season and he made it up to 4 stars current ability and 4 stars potential, but every so often, he just randomly drops down to 3 stars current, and then 4 stars potential with a 5th dark grey star.  Not sure why this happens.  It doesn't look like his Attributes are going down and he still has some arrows pointing upward.

Any ideas why this happens?  It's not just him as it sometimes happens to other players.  They go back and forth between 3 and 4 stars (nothing in between).

53 minutes ago, saihtam said:

Star rating is based on your squad and not showing out defined ability points.

So if one of my players has 4 stars current ability, that's based on my entire squad?  I don't understand.  What if it's a player i'm looking to buy that isn't on my team?

1 hour ago, extremeskins04 said:

So if one of my players has 4 stars current ability, that's based on my entire squad?  I don't understand.  What if it's a player i'm looking to buy that isn't on my team?

Star ratings don't indicate how good a player is, they show how they compare to relevant players in your existing squad who play in his position.

e.g. you may have a player rated at 4 stars who after a couple of seasons has dropped to 3 stars, NOT because he's got worse but because your squad has improved.

Another way of looking at it is that 3 stars roughly shows a player would be considered "average" in your squad compared to your existing players who play in the same position. In those positions where your squad is weak it will be easier for a player to get a good star rating.

Also staff has some impact also

Star ratings are a rough guide to how good your assistant thinks a player is/will become relative to your current squad. His opinion might change but the player won't unless you actually see attributes go up or down. Potential ability is fixed at the start of the game.

Don't worry about stars and ignore them whenever you think you know better.

Ok I have one more question @saihtam and @swansongs ....

What does it mean when all of a sudden all my player's attributes are all showing down arrows one week?  Like we just finished our second season and Mason Greenwood (the same player I'm referring to in this original post) now shows all down arrows like he's taking hits to his attributes.  I haven't seen his numbers actually drop though.  He just came off a really good year.  Scored 23 goals and had an average rating of 7.48 I believe.  I'm not sure what's going on.  We just finished the year and he's on vacation now, but all these down arrows like he's failing training or something.  So confused.

Here is a screenshot:

masongreenwood.PNG

Edited by extremeskins04

1 hour ago, extremeskins04 said:

Ok I have one more question @saihtam and @swansongs ....

What does it mean when all of a sudden all my player's attributes are all showing down arrows one week?  Like we just finished our second season and Mason Greenwood (the same player I'm referring to in this original post) now shows all down arrows like he's taking hits to his attributes.  I haven't seen his numbers actually drop though.  He just came off a really good year.  Scored 23 goals and had an average rating of 7.48 I believe.  I'm not sure what's going on.  We just finished the year and he's on vacation now, but all these down arrows like he's failing training or something.  So confused.

Here is a screenshot:

masongreenwood.PNG

The numbers are going down, you just can't see it because it's presumably a very small drop. Afaik the attributes aren't made up from 1-20 but from 1-200, meaning you can have 14 pace, have a red arrow, still have 14 pace, which in practice means it probably dropped from 145 to 144. 

39 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

The numbers are going down, you just can't see it because it's presumably a very small drop. Afaik the attributes aren't made up from 1-20 but from 1-200, meaning you can have 14 pace, have a red arrow, still have 14 pace, which in practice means it probably dropped from 145 to 144. 

I wonder why he's dropping though.  It's not like he had a bad season.  He was one of my best contributors.

Edit: Now that I look up his form.  Out of his last 7 games, he's had 2 good ones and 5 bad or average games and i'm wondering if that's the reason.  Even though overall for the whole year he's done well.

Edited by extremeskins04

9 hours ago, extremeskins04 said:

I wonder why he's dropping though.  It's not like he had a bad season.  He was one of my best contributors.

Edit: Now that I look up his form.  Out of his last 7 games, he's had 2 good ones and 5 bad or average games and i'm wondering if that's the reason.  Even though overall for the whole year he's done well.

Sometimes a player's attributes will have to drop like that to reorganise themselves to fit within the CA limit or weightings - almost a step back in order to keep making steps forward. It's nothing to worry about unless you see it happen frequently, or it's paired with low training ratings.

Most commonly this can happen when a player is learning a new position, as the attribute weightings can change quite dramatically around the "accomplished" mark, especially important attributes you will likely be training the player in. If that's what's happening it should be a one off drop and it's better to see the job through than to change your mind and alter the training.

Sometimes you won't even need to be training a new position at all. Players natural in multiple positions have their CA calculated based on their "best" position, and which one this is can change as the player develops, provoking recalculations and reshuffling.