When to offer new contracts to your star players

So I'm playing with Man Utd in this save and currently in my second season.  It's Jan 4th 2021 and the transfer window opened a few days ago.

Pogba wants a new contract.  His current contract is $200,000 per week and it expires 6/30/2022 which is 18 months from now.  He's 27 years old and will be 28 soon.

He wants $475,000 per week for his new 4 year deal and I'm wondering if I should.  His form average is 7.50.  He doesn't score alot of goals but he's good in other ways.

I just don't know.  How long can I wait to see if I should just sell him or give him the new deal?  I don't want to let him go on a free.

I guess my question is, if I wait until his final year of his current contract, do other teams see that and won't give me  good transfer offer cause they know he's on his last year?

Appreciate any advice you can give on this.  I want to keep him but I don't want to pay him almost $500,000 a week in wages.

2 minutes ago, xray1324 said:

I'd probably sell him, since when he enters his last year, it becomes very likely for teams to lowball or outright just offer nothing for him

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure how other teams react when a player is in his last year.  The idea I guess is you need to make a decision on what to do with him the year before his last year of the contract.

Only issue is, he's the captain, highly influential and the fans love him.  Selling him could potentially destroy my season.  I'm currently 2nd in the PL while closely behind Liverpool for that top spot.

I have no idea what to do.  You'd still sell him?