[FM20][FM21][FM22][FM23] Calcio

zlatanera

800px-Flag_of_Italy_svg.thumb.png.813a1fa7d2924c9b2fcbd886fc9fe73c.png

Welcome to the FM20 [and beyond] Italian football thread! Although Serie A teams are usually the most popular, this is a thread for all levels of the Italian pyramid - if you decide to download an expansion and try to get from Terza Categoria all the way to winning a Scudetto we'll all wish you luck! 

Italy has a claim to having invented most of the precursors of modern football, even if the game we all love today was codified in the United Kingdom. Usage of the term Calcio or "Kick" for Football is itself a holdover from Calcio Fiorentino, a much more violent game originating in the 16th century actually still played today in Florence. 

269738340_Screenshot2020-11-25at03_36_52.png.ef3981be702c4762285c3974e35515d8.png347297104_Screenshot2020-11-25at03_35_51.png.4380fe7f7fd69f719464eede870be290.png741405323_Screenshot2021-11-27at15_08_04.png.1637e2481e31f7d4f2059ef4953238fd.png674643440_Screenshot2022-11-28at16_04_03.png.de1f5858d2507146125c0fd27a1addc4.png

As the majority of players will gravitate towards Serie A I've "borrowed" this image from Wikipedia of the locations of all the current Serie A teams. All of the traditional Seven Sisters are currently in the top flight, but if you fancy more of a challenge why not the islanders of Cagliari, with possibly their strongest squad in 20 years? Or one of the smaller clubs like Sassuolo, Brescia or Atalanta? Genoa meanwhile haven't won Serie A for almost 100 years yet are still the 4th most successful team in league history. 

Serie B meanwhile has 20 teams for the first time since 2002-03, with five teams promoted from Serie C and Palermo excluded from competition (they're now in Serie D). From my admittedly half-hearted research it appears there are no teams with points deductions in Serie B, a rarity in this age, but you still have a unique structure where if you can carve out a large enough gap between 3rd and 4th the play-offs actually don't take place! (15 points). 

Serie C, the 60-team "league" divided into 3 regions, is much more chaotic - Modena and Reggio Audace were promoted purely on account of historical size after 5 clubs went bankrupt - whilst up until 10th September it was entirely possible it could have been a 21 team league - Audace Cerignola being effectively stranded in Serie D by bureaucracy. It may not be considered quite the challenge that Spain's Segunda B tier is, but it will still be tricky to get out of, especially if you play in the A group and face Juventus' U23 team. The madness continues in FM21 as two teams - Sicula Leonzio and Siena - were disbanded, with Giani Erminio and Ravenna readmitted in their stead (Siena's 2nd re-founding: formed in 1904, re-founded in 2014, now again in 2020). Trapani were also driven into bankruptcy in part due to COVID. 

Edited by zlatanera

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When they will fix the ''bug'' of newgens I'll start a career with.. Guess :lol:

And obviously I hope in the full game the decreto crescita will be introduced since it's a massive change for serie A and it would make the teams way more competitive even in the game.

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

12 minutes ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

When they will fix the ''bug'' of newgens I'll start a career with.. Guess :lol:

And obviously I hope in the full game the decreto crescita will be introduced since it's a massive change for serie A and it would make the teams way more competitive even in the game.

Decreto Crescita?

Edited by zlatanera

I watched a short documentary on this club and hope some one makes the lower leagues so I can get this club to Serie A 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.C.R._MessinaA.C.R. Messina

They have a 37,895 capacity stadium in Serie D       <Stadio San Filippo>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadio_San_Filippo

A.C.R._Messina_logo.png

stadio-sanfilippo.jpg

1443246162174.jpg

I've just finished my first season with Milan.

Blocked first window transfers. In January sign Olmo, Unuvar and Tonali (coming in July 2020) and sell most of dead wood like Borini, Mussachuio, Carhanoglu, Castillejo, Gomez.

Tactic used is tweaked by me @knap 4141.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Edited by themario

Managing Inter currently. Signed Bruno Fernandes for nearly £40m with addons. We were handed a tough Champions League group with Dortmund and Barcelona, but following loss on the first gameweek to Barcelona at the Nou Camp, victories over Lille x2 and Dortmund have put us in a strong position to qualify. A lot will come down to not losing in Dortmund who we have next, hopefully setting up a playoff for 1st with Barca at the Giuseppe Meazza. The league has been... interesting. We've only lost once yet find ourselves in 4th, due to Juve, Lazio and Torino starting with an unbeaten record. Losing 3-0 away from home to Juventus on the first week was a blow.

I'm trying to recreate Conte's 3-5-2 and having a modicum of success so far. Scoring lots of goals and mostly keeping clean sheets, with one off games (such as Juventus) being the ones to ruin our goals conceded stats. A big injury to Diego Godin has left me short staffed at the back, and I've turned to young Alessandro Bastoni to fill the void. Hopefully he can keep doing the job as behind him all I've got is an aging Ranocchia and an out of position D'Ambrosio. The big signing of Fernandes has left me with nothing to spend in January so my small squad is starting to struggle with balancing a tough UCL group and a copmpetitive Serie A.

^Make sure to sell Gabriel for 20-25m€ in January.

I got Eriksen for 20m in January, couldn't wait until summer because I had some injury issues.

Telles is a no brainer for LB/LWB position come second season, 25-30m.
Milenković gets transfer listed by request, also a must buy, can play in any system.
RB/RWB position is tricky, I ended up getting Hateboer.

I played 4-1-3-2 instead of 3-5-2, but it's more or less the same thing. Used a DM instead of third CB.
Mezzala, playmaker and B2B in the midfield.

@jonathan44 How about Bari? They were relegated to Serie D and re-established at the end of 2017/18, and are in Serie C in the current season. They have a 58,000 capacity stadium, which makes them perfect if you were in it for the long haul (and is now making me consider downloading an FM19 expansion so I can use them). I don't have the game but given they're owned by the same guys as Napoli, they might have a decent budget for their level too.

5 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

^Make sure to sell Gabriel for 20-25m€ in January.

I got Eriksen for 20m in January, couldn't wait until summer because I had some injury issues.

Telles is a no brainer for LB/LWB position come second season, 25-30m.
Milenković gets transfer listed by request, also a must buy, can play in any system.
RB/RWB position is tricky, I ended up getting Hateboer.

I played 4-1-3-2 instead of 3-5-2, but it's more or less the same thing. Used a DM instead of third CB.
Mezzala, playmaker and B2B in the midfield.

Ive send alexis back home in January and use gabigol as backup striker. 

Juventus is running away. My biggest problem is scoring goals with the strikers. My conversion rate is only 9% and the strikers can't score 1 on 1's.

Playing with a 352 (also a mez, dlp, b2b midfield) . Asamoah is insanely good for me ( 3 goals 7 assists) . As is Henrichs, who I got for only 7.5 mil from Monaco (6 goals and 4 assists in 11 games). Rotating him with lazaro (1/3 in 9).

Barella is also doing pretty good (7/2) and brozovic (6/1).

Other players I got are Kehrer as backup CB for 5.5, Armini (5 star potential) for the compensation cost, exequiel from river for 6 as dlp backup. 

Next season Ryan gravenbrech will join my midfield. All I need will be a younger goal keeper at some point. 

I'm very tempted to keep Gabigol 

As I plan to switch to a 4-2-3-1 next season and he'll be good cover for right wing with Politano. 

Eriksen is on my list for a free transfer to fill in that attacking mid role. 

Half tempted to let sanchez go back to man u in January as his wages are massive and I've only used him sparsely (though when I have he's been decent). 

Lukaku and Martinez are just so good it would make more sense to give the rest of the playing time to Esposito. 

This years FM really is a strange one. I dominate in most games with like 30-40 shots but only win with 1-2 goals to 0-1 goals. But I did manage to beat Man City twice in the group stages, drawing and loosing to Atletico Madrid which saw me advance, did beat Barcelona in the 1st Knockout Round of CL and beat Juve in the Copa Italia semi final over two legs, but then drawing to the bottom last in the league. 

4 hours ago, gandrasch said:

Lukaku and Martinez are just so good it would make more sense to give the rest of the playing time to Esposito. 

This years FM really is a strange one. I dominate in most games with like 30-40 shots but only win with 1-2 goals to 0-1 goals. But I did manage to beat Man City twice in the group stages, drawing and loosing to Atletico Madrid which saw me advance, did beat Barcelona in the 1st Knockout Round of CL and beat Juve in the Copa Italia semi final over two legs, but then drawing to the bottom last in the league. 

And opposition keepers having like 12/15 saves and great ratings, not to mention the huge numbers of 1x1 situations that our strikers miss.

5 hours ago, gandrasch said:

I really don't like this years FM. Juve just won the Calcio at the Meazza. And got me kicked out of CL, all in just 7 days. 

With games like these:

20191109122257_1.jpg

20191109123724_1.jpg

Just a general question if you played them the first time and lost 2-0 why did you go back in with the exact same tactic? Everything from the match stats to your players ratings is almost identical. And ironically the scoreline was too.

On 06/11/2019 at 22:34, ParanoidBuddha said:

Could you please explain what bug that is you refer to? I dont wanna get invested in a long term save if there is smth wrong with regens

Edited by iolodavanki

On 07/11/2019 at 13:46, jonathan44 said:

My usual team is Palermo, but with Serie D unplayable not sure who to pick :s

I've been planning to do a Palermo career as well, focusing a lot on youth development. Will probably just need to holiday first season in order to get them promoted.

On 06/11/2019 at 19:43, Gross_Ballon said:

I watched a short documentary on this club and hope some one makes the lower leagues so I can get this club to Serie A 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.C.R._MessinaA.C.R. Messina

They have a 37,895 capacity stadium in Serie D       <Stadio San Filippo>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadio_San_Filippo

What's the name of the documentary you watched? I've been seriously thinking of starting a career in FM20 with one of the Sicilian clubs (Palermo, Messina, or Catania).

2 ore fa, iolodavanki ha scritto:

Could you please explain what bug that is you refer to? I dont wanna get invested in a long term save if there is smth wrong with regens

and as I wrote in the 2nd message, some attributes as the acceleration are unbalanced. For example there are many heavy newgens with it really high

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

On 07/11/2019 at 22:18, zlatanera said:

@jonathan44 How about Bari? They were relegated to Serie D and re-established at the end of 2017/18, and are in Serie C in the current season. They have a 58,000 capacity stadium, which makes them perfect if you were in it for the long haul (and is now making me consider downloading an FM19 expansion so I can use them). I don't have the game but given they're owned by the same guys as Napoli, they might have a decent budget for their level too.

Always in for the long haul! Just hit October and finding the league fairly easy, have 5 Lazio loan players at the club who look like Lazio have specifically bought to loan to Bari to avoid having to pay the wages of which seems to exemplify Italy's slightly corrupt nature :).

The squad starts with a crazy number of LW'ers and short at RB and LB, but the age restrictions really limit who you can bring in. Best signing so far has been Ignazio Abate who is an absolute star for SerieC/C:

image.thumb.png.ec64b6e9d9c2d37f245f0294dbc05e35.png

If editing allows Serie D to be accessible I'll start with Palermo at a later date, Bari will be a fun challenge based on the first couple of months.

@jonathan44 Abate is an outstanding signing for that level! 

What are the age restrictions? I'm really not that clued in on lower level Italian football. 

r.e. the loan players yeah, its perhaps not quite that corrupt but certainly if those mooted FIFA loan limitations (I think its something like 7 players loaned out per club they were going to limit it to) came in a bunch of Italian sides wouldn't be able to afford to put out teams. 

image.thumb.png.165d89af3c7ca7e88f107b41c4ebb0fa.png

Very specific and a little bizzare in truth... And yes, without the 8 loan players (only paying the wage of 2) I'd struggle to fill out a side. Mirco Antenucci gets £12k a week but even if I could get rid finding 6 players good enough without loans at £2k a week each would be impossible.

I've just started a Perugia save. Had a soft spot for them from the Nakata days and when they were a solid serie A side on cm 01/02.

They went down to serie D but are now back in serie B so a good challenge and seem to hVe a decent enough squad to have a go at promotion in the first season 

Il 8/11/2019 in 13:57 , gandrasch ha scritto:

Hi,

How do you pair Lukaku and Martinez? I think this could be an important issue in developing a good Inter tactic.

I always like managing in Italy, did some enjoyable saves in the last few years with fiorentina, milan and parma. Now i thought lets manage a team that never really did anything but should have!

logo_veneziafc-nero.thumb.png.f5d3117ed2f7a43014630d3b4b4d41e8.png

So i choose Venezia! look at that logo, winged lions, pretty awesome. Despite existing since 1907, they have had so few successes that their club legends are a manager that got second place in Serie B as a highlight in his 2 year reign, and alvaro recoba.. who played there a single season on loan.

Promotion wasnt too hard in the first season, a couple of decent-ish players, shored up with a couple free players and a few extra loans, got me first place. In the second season got a decent transfer budget of 8 million, bought tonali, brescia relegated and i somehow was the only one to make an offer, 2,5 up front, 7,5 in installments en 5 after 50 apps. then also bought almada for 2,5 with 3 after 50, got a couple other players for next to nothing off the transfer list and brought in 16 free signings.

20191108142327_1.thumb.jpg.1e5ab260869044ad20de1e0acb1b280d.jpg

I ended up 5th! with this tactic giving the club culture now as attacking, entertaining football, with a high tempo pressing game. Tonali averaged a 7.92 as a regista, fantastic player.

I definitely recommend playing as Venice, its very enjoyable, the chairman approves most requests and just look at that badass logo man.

Edited by Maxuma

image.thumb.png.88eee67d5c53724a9d824fc4751722ca.png

Not sure whether they made beta easy or not but this is ridiculous... Top 3 haven't changed all season and Catania have just lost a game after 21 matches unbeaten, I'm unbeaten throughout and it feels like I've barely had to try to do it. Strikers don't score ala FM19 but that just means defenders are ridiculously overpowered.