Brexit in fm20

Who knows when Brexit will finally happen... 

I just hope we get a predominantly hard Brexit in FM, now that Boris runs the show. It makes for some interesting gameplay and I like the challenges it brings.

Does anybody think there's a chance of us getting an even harder (more restrictive) Brexit than seen in game so far? 

Edited by Baodan

In my game on Beta, it states it will start 31st December 2020 and one of the rules for a foreign player (Non British\Irish) to be given a permit is they have a salary of £8000, that's going to make it fun playing in Scotland. No more foreign players for 99$ of the clubs.

They should just make it a constant "Brexit has been delayed" thing forever.

Then update it for the January patch when the General Election happens. If the Tories win, write in the hardest brexit possible. If Labour or anyone else (except the Brexit party) wins, just have a soft Brexit or a "UK stays in EU" event. If we get a hung parliament just leave the "Brexit has been delayed" thing in and don't patch it.

49 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

They should just make it a constant "Brexit has been delayed" thing forever.

Then update it for the January patch when the General Election happens. If the Tories win, write in the hardest brexit possible. If Labour or anyone else (except the Brexit party) wins, just have a soft Brexit or a "UK stays in EU" event. If we get a hung parliament just leave the "Brexit has been delayed" thing in and don't patch it.

You won't get "the hardest Brexit possible" with a Conservative majority, it will be the withdrawal agreement. 

So probably one of the modest work permit ones.

1 hour ago, Wellmade66 said:

In my game on Beta, it states it will start 31st December 2020 and one of the rules for a foreign player (Non British\Irish) to be given a permit is they have a salary of £8000, that's going to make it fun playing in Scotland. No more foreign players for 99$ of the clubs.

I thought it had already happened in my game and I'm only August 2020.

If it was Brexit in my game and I'm not mistaken then,  I got a soft brexit. Remember thinking "Oh that's different" as last year it was always hard and always like the quote above...and I did manage in Scotland :lol:

1 hour ago, Wellmade66 said:

was it not  like this in the early 90s we needed to have mostly British at Rangers 3 foreigner rule ! how crap scotlans national team is having more spots for Scottish talent would help! European runs would suffer. Even Celtic has a dominate non Scottish base.  Good for Scotland bad for co efficiency 

my game had the brexit last night in the january of 2021, these as the rules:

image.thumb.png.72c52c9005aa8e8a5f554e039363c83a.png

i was lucky and had 3 foreigners trained in england and where under 23, so i didnt have to register them... but for the next season i will have to sell 2 older foreigners for them to use those slots, its kinda limiting, bc before brexit i didnt have that problem at all, the foreigner rules are a game changer, lucky tho i was already buying more english players ... kinda the same lampard wants IRL ... akke and chilwell, they are good and count to the trained in england rule, both of them had requested a transfer in their clubs so i got em kinda cheap, jadon sancho also was transfer listed by request .. but i had better aml amr players, maybe now i will have to get him to fill the english players slots.

Which European leagues have relaxed rules about non-EU players, then? Holland has big minimum wage packets that will make developing young British players too expensive. And I'll be out of a job quick if it applies to managers!

2 hours ago, swansongs said:

Which European leagues have relaxed rules about non-EU players, then? Holland has big minimum wage packets that will make developing young British players too expensive. And I'll be out of a job quick if it applies to managers!

Czech 1st League has up to 5 non-EU players in the squad. French 1st League has 4 non-EU players max.

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

This were my Brexit.

mbFmSjW.png

that was the same with me, but in the next transfer window i had 19 foreigners in the team .. that line of "foreign players already playing in united kingdom will only face these restrictions upon signing a new contract." dosnt work. i was able to have the same squad only bc i didnt have to register u23 players trained in england and used that rule to keep my squad without changes.

On 05/11/2019 at 15:24, Gross_Ballon said:

was it not  like this in the early 90s we needed to have mostly British at Rangers 3 foreigner rule ! how crap scotlans national team is having more spots for Scottish talent would help! European runs would suffer. Even Celtic has a dominate non Scottish base.  Good for Scotland bad for co efficiency 

Yea, it's the salary that you need to have though to get the permit that will scupper other teams outside the big 2. Hopefully it'd help the National Team though.

On 05/11/2019 at 16:30, swansongs said:

Germany - they require the 4 German and 4 Home Grown players, but have no work permit restrictions at all (hence why you often see Korean, Japanese, etc, players over there).

On 05/11/2019 at 13:52, Baodan said:

Who knows when Brexit will finally happen... 

I just hope we get a predominantly hard Brexit in FM, now that Boris runs the show. It makes for some interesting gameplay and I like the challenges it brings.

Does anybody think there's a chance of us getting an even harder (more restrictive) Brexit than seen in game so far? 

Yes, I'm sure the thousands of businesses and services a Hard Brexit will affect are also looking forward to the challenges it brings.  So that's all alright isn't it?

Edited by Nonlondoner

2 hours ago, Nonlondoner said:

Yes, I'm sure the thousands of businesses and services a Hard Brexit will affect are also looking forward to the challenges it brings.  So that's all alright isn't it?

Can anyone elaborate on what this guy is going on about?

On 05/11/2019 at 21:23, kertiek said:

that was the same with me, but in the next transfer window i had 19 foreigners in the team .. that line of "foreign players already playing in united kingdom will only face these restrictions upon signing a new contract." dosnt work. i was able to have the same squad only bc i didnt have to register u23 players trained in england and used that rule to keep my squad without changes.

If any of the foreigners have played in England for 5 years then they qualify for a UK passport.

at the start of the game loads of players have reached that 5 year mark but haven’t applied but once brexit kicks in they suddenly all queue up at he post office :D

did none of your 19 fit that criteria then?

4 hours ago, Baodan said:

Can anyone elaborate on what this guy is going on about?

I refer you to the Yellowhammer Report and the EU's Business Impact studies for details.  It was a response to your flippant comment about a hard brexit. 

Edited by Nonlondoner

2 minutes ago, Nonlondoner said:

I refer you to the Yellowhammer Report and the EU's Business Impact studies for details.  It was a response to your flippant comment about a hard brexit. 

It seems we're talking two very different things, my friend. My comment is purely in regards to the gameplay ramifications following a hard Brexit in Football Manager 2020. If you want a political discussion regarding the real life Brexit, then i suggest you find someone a lot better suited than me. 

9 hours ago, Fritz13 said:

If any of the foreigners have played in England for 5 years then they qualify for a UK passport.

at the start of the game loads of players have reached that 5 year mark but haven’t applied but once brexit kicks in they suddenly all queue up at he post office :D

did none of your 19 fit that criteria then?

only ozil and bellerin did it, but that was in march .. way past the winter transfer window  when i had the problem of registering players in january, its solved now for the next season .. but that window .. it was hard to do it

Edited by kertiek

6 hours ago, Nonlondoner said:

You do realise that's a worst case scenario, don't you? It's not a prediction of what WILL happen. It's like when we prepare for terrible terrorist incidents and use worst case scenarios.

Edited by hazzabish

Folks has anyone had Brexit start on a date other than 31.12.2020?

On previous editions, the game got to a certain date, think it was 26th October, then it would essentially 'roll a dice'. Depending on the dice roll, Brexit would either trigger at the end of the year or delay for a year, where the process would repeat again. This meant you could permanently delay Brexit if you were happy to save/load/repeat until you got the right result.

I'm playing the Beta at the moment and got to October 26th 2019, where I've gotten the message about Brexit which will kick in in just over a year. I've tried reloading a number of times to see if it can be delayed, but no joy so far. Seems like it might be hardcoded this year. Anyone have any other experiences to share?

1 hour ago, luvgisele said:

In fm19 there was a way to disable brexit via a No Brexit fmf file...is there something similar in fm 20?

You will have to wait for the 19th and full release for access to the editor. That's my plan before I start my proper FM20 save.

I'm not aware of any files being available for the beta.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to an actual real life Brexit. In the past editions of FM I could some what understand why some of you guys tried to avoid having to deal with it in game - after all it may never actually happen.

But this year, especially with the current Prime minister, it looks more sure than ever. Isn't it about time you guys started taking on this challenge? You may be surprised to find that it can actually be pretty enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted a Brexit of my choice, so I started a game and holidayed until I knew what scenario.  Eventually, I got the one I wanted and started the game (17 foreign player limit, £8,000 per week required for work permit).

When I got to this point in the game, the Brexit scenario had changed (17 foreign player limit, work permit dependent on internationals/fees/wage).  Between saving above and getting where I wanted, we had a patch.

Did the patch change Brexit scenarios?  I have not been able to have the 17 foreign player limit, £8,000 per week required for work permit scenario since, despite fifteen attempts.

Edited by DazRTaylor

7 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

I wanted a Brexit of my choice, so I started a game and holidayed until I knew what scenario.  Eventually, I got the one I wanted and started the game (17 foreign player limit, £8,000 per week required for work permit).

When I got to this point in the game, the Brexit scenario had changed (17 foreign player limit, work permit dependent on internationals/fees/wage).  Between saving above and getting where I wanted, we had a patch.

Did the patch change Brexit scenarios?  I have not been able to have the 17 foreign player limit, £8,000 per week required for work permit scenario since, despite fifteen attempts.

I got the Brexit I wanted by editing it out completely, so it never happens.

16 hours ago, TioPatinhax said:

sadly, ive had a very hard brexit on my savegame, which has ruined it.... Any idea on how to remove it?

Once you've started, I have no idea unless it can be done with the in-game editor (which costs extra to buy).  You can edit it out in the pre-game editor but that does require a new save.

19 hours ago, TioPatinhax said:

sadly, ive had a very hard brexit on my savegame, which has ruined it.... Any idea on how to remove it?

You can't get rid of league rules with the in-game editor, so you're stuck with it, sorry.

I had what I think is a hard Brexit. A points based system and transfers need to be more than the average fee over the last 2 windows. If managing in England then this can be a problem. I am managing in Northern Ireland and I think it is more preferable than a soft Brexit. As players need to play in a certain percentage of games for their national team, I think all foreign player transfers will fail. However, the appeal rules are points based and this is where I think all transfers will go through. 3pts if transfer fee paid is in the top 25% of transfer fees paid in the DBP in the last 2 windows, 2pts if transfer fee paid is in the top 25%-50% of transfer fees paid in the DBP in the last 2 windows. As only 4pts are required to be successful I think this is better than the wage baggage that a soft Brexit can bring.

https://imgur.com/MH2QPtn

Edited by Stouters

On 07/11/2019 at 13:31, Wellmade66 said:

Yea, it's the salary that you need to have though to get the permit that will scupper other teams outside the big 2. Hopefully it'd help the National Team though.

Would love to see a Rangers team filled full of scotts. 

11 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Thanks @kevhamster.  :lol:

Where is the editor file by the way?  The one I found on a fan site has comments saying it is broken.

I did the edit myself.

Literally, go into the advanced rules for England, go to agreement changes and untick the box to say England is leaving the EU, and then this also carries through to the remaining UK nations as they have a setting where their work permit rules are derived from the English ones.

I can upload the file if you'd like me to.  May not be until tomorrow night though as I won't be at home until then.

Edited by kevhamster

On 11/12/2019 at 09:17, kevhamster said:

I did the edit myself.

Literally, go into the advanced rules for England, go to agreement changes and untick the box to say England is leaving the EU, and then this also carries through to the remaining UK nations as they have a setting where their work permit rules are derived from the English ones.

I can upload the file if you'd like me to.  May not be until tomorrow night though as I won't be at home until then.

Thank you - I will give it a go myself.  :thup:

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mindtrick_42 said:

Anyone managing in the Premier League had the point based rules applied? (The one that @Stouters refers to)

If you had it, what impact did it have?

I'm in January 2020 on my Everton save and the point based system will be in place from 31st of December 2020. 

I have that one.

It makes picking up foreign bargains and newgens harder, at times I have to spend over £10m to sign a player which can be frustrating when a player is transfer listed for £2m and would improve my team. It means I have to massively overspend if I want the player, meaning I'm paying in instalments a lot more. My £30m transfer budgets don't help either, being a relegation candidate I can't make the bargain signings I used to make. It also makes getting decent loans in from abroad difficult as they fail to get a work permit. It's even worse at Championship level.