Speeding up fm20

Since SI has removed the option to choose rendering mode and etc, do you guys have any tips on how to make the game run faster? Things are just taking to long.. going from day to day is to long. And please to not come and say choose fewer players and leagues etc, i know that dont help but please come with some good game changing tips. 

Also one more question. On previous fm´s lets say i would want tot rest my team i could select my rb than press on mac the shift or FN key and then press at my ST and that would select all players inbetween and i could choose to rest from training all in once. This does not work this year... any tips? Again, cheers guys:)

Hmm playing on my mac and not sure if its the english word for it but is «ekstern plate» external disk a ssd? In that case i have it. And i would love it if you please could take your time and explain to me what to do etc:) 

Hmm, you can get SSD's external however I use mine as an internal hard drive. To be honest I am unsure if mac operate with SSD or HDD for hard drives however the difference is huge. They are solely responsible for read and write speeds and an SSD is usually far better in every aspect and can speed a system up from over a 1minute boot time to like 2 seconds. (as in my case when I upgraded) 

Check your external drive is an SSD and if it is ensure you have your files on their and not on your Macs internal or cloud system. Although I'm sure I read somewhere externals are somewhat slower it should handle fm with no issues. 

I've never been an apple fan and so don't have the luxury of walking you through it step by step. I hope I've helped and I would suggest looking into your hard drives :)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Llainen said:

Since SI has removed the option to choose rendering mode and etc, do you guys have any tips on how to make the game run faster? Things are just taking to long.. going from day to day is to long. And please to not come and say choose fewer players and leagues etc, i know that dont help but please come with some good game changing tips. 

Also one more question. On previous fm´s lets say i would want tot rest my team i could select my rb than press on mac the shift or FN key and then press at my ST and that would select all players inbetween and i could choose to rest from training all in once. This does not work this year... any tips? Again, cheers guys:)

If you want a faster game to play then I'd recommend FMT. 

17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If you want a faster game to play then I'd recommend FMT. 

Compared to FM19 does the game not process as quick like for like?

Normally Champs get faster as the newer ones come out (obviously PC limited), but for example if my PC easily crunches FM19, is that the same for FM20. Im talking pure processing screen to screen and matchdays when the CPU runs through all the games that day.

Edited by bestbrother

• Administrators

It really depends on the system as well as the software really. 

If things just got faster every year we'd still have Pentium computers.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

It really depends on the system as well as the software really. 

If things just got faster every year we'd still have Pentium computers.

Yeah ofc i understand that, but i dont know why my mac is running so slow. I read at footballmanagerblogs post "best laptops for fm20". They said if you had 8gb of ram, intel 15 or above and ssd the game should run very smooth, my mac has all of that ticked and still it goes really slow with a database with 75k ish players.. 

Tbf there are alot of variants with i5 processors and in my eyes its a moderate processor that is abit hit or miss depending on which 1 you ended up with.  Id recommended alot of things you could do but unfortunatly for you Im a PC tech. A fresh SSD as above sounds like a good idea but id have 1 that only holds FM so dont pay over the odds for all that extra space when you only need it for FM20.  An SSD tho opens up another can of problems but thats maybe something for another thread.

14 hours ago, Llainen said:

Yeah ofc i understand that, but i dont know why my mac is running so slow. I read at footballmanagerblogs post "best laptops for fm20". They said if you had 8gb of ram, intel 15 or above and ssd the game should run very smooth, my mac has all of that ticked and still it goes really slow with a database with 75k ish players.. 

I have the exact same problem which is very frustrating.

Can someone in development there shine some light on this issue? 

I currently have a one star computer performance with only one nation (English) prem.

In fm 2019 I was easily able to run 6 top nations with the top leagues which showed a 4 star computer performance rating.

Thanks

2 hours ago, blitzcreed said:

I have the exact same problem which is very frustrating.

Can someone in development there shine some light on this issue? 

I currently have a one star computer performance with only one nation (English) prem.

In fm 2019 I was easily able to run 6 top nations with the top leagues which showed a 4 star computer performance rating.

Thanks

Im seeing a lot of the same issues across forums and Reddit. Maybe it will clear up after beta.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, the207life said:

What a terrible - terrible - line of thought.

Not really it's a matter of fact. 

Things get more complex year on year that it's not always going to be the same or faster. The game uses GPU rendering now so a decent card is needed as well as processor and RAM. 

On 03/11/2019 at 00:00, Llainen said:

75K players is a hell of a lot for me, I generally play with less than 30K with a Xeon processor and 32Gb RAM. 

There are some issues we are looking into with Mac performance however, but in general I wouldn't expect a lightning fast save with that many players and leagues loaded. 

But your mileage will vary with what you think is comfortable for you and what you're patient enough with. All I would say is tinker until you find what you're comfortable with. Saves tend to get a bit slower the longer they progress because they will increase in size.

19 hours ago, Lucas said:

75K players is a hell of a lot for me, I generally play with less than 30K with a Xeon processor and 32Gb RAM. 

There are some issues we are looking into with Mac performance however, but in general I wouldn't expect a lightning fast save with that many players and leagues loaded. 

But your mileage will vary with what you think is comfortable for you and what you're patient enough with. All I would say is tinker until you find what you're comfortable with. Saves tend to get a bit slower the longer they progress because they will increase in size.

Well it may be, but last fm i had around 80k players and 10 leagues and played around 13 seasons on my last save and the game ran like a dream! I understand the game get tougher to run etc but it is weird the difference is so huge

3 hours ago, Llainen said:

Well it may be, but last fm i had around 80k players and 10 leagues and played around 13 seasons on my last save and the game ran like a dream! I understand the game get tougher to run etc but it is weird the difference is so huge

80k from 10 leagues is excessive??? Did you have options active to increase database with players from leagues your weren't running? I have 36 leagues and 25k less players on large database. 

Having players active from leagues you don't have running will be less strain is all... 

On 03/11/2019 at 17:45, the207life said:

Im seeing a lot of the same issues across forums and Reddit. Maybe it will clear up after beta.

I really hope it is because of the beta.

I have only loaded 3 leagues in northern Ireland (36 teams, about 3,000 players)

3d match engine is unwatchable. The ball doesn't reach the players, its like pinball. The legs don't move. The shadows and the net moving in the wind and moving advertising look great. But the game is shockingly slow. I'm still in preseason, god help me when simultaneous league fixtures happen.

Really hope it is the beta.

I haven't a great laptop, but previous versions ran good enough for me. I have all the settings on low, and still runs slow

Edited by Declan Cahill

On 05/11/2019 at 09:09, styluz05 said:

Just jumped on this thread I have a SSD and HDD on my computer would reinstalling the game on my SSD really make the game quicker? 

This is a thought for debate. On the PC help thread on here, they say putting FM on your SSD is no quicker / efficient than on your standard hard drive, however I disagree. I had FM 19 on my normal hard drive, but after uninstalling and later putting back on to my SSD, it was noticeably faster.

It all depends on your laptop / PC specs, as well as the number of leagues as playable or view only. There never will be a standard processing speed, everyone has different set ups.

On 05/11/2019 at 11:09, styluz05 said:

Just jumped on this thread I have a SSD and HDD on my computer would reinstalling the game on my SSD really make the game quicker? 

22 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

This is a thought for debate. On the PC help thread on here, they say putting FM on your SSD is no quicker / efficient than on your standard hard drive, however I disagree. I had FM 19 on my normal hard drive, but after uninstalling and later putting back on to my SSD, it was noticeably faster.

It all depends on your laptop / PC specs, as well as the number of leagues as playable or view only. There never will be a standard processing speed, everyone has different set ups.

Have a look through this thread :

- SSD VS HDD. The game speed itself will not depend upon this, as I have tested this theory a lot of times. What will hang in the balance though is the loading time of the game and in some cases, the Save Game / Load Game time. However, if you do use a lot of custom graphics, like skins and facepacks, etc, it's a good ideea to have the game (and these custom graphics) on a SSD, as this will ensure the fact that the game is very responsive in the UI.

The other key point of interest is that there is absolutely no difference in elapsed time when saving to an SSD or HDD but the save time does reduce in line with CPU performance, this is not a surprise as it was a similar outcome when I compared SSH/HDD save performance a few years ago.

a point to note about drive speed. 

i have a i7 and 16gb ram

before fm20 came out i switched up from a 5.4k hdd to an nvme ssd which has 3.4gb read n write speed. 

the only difference with fm i have is how long it takes to go from hitting play to the opening credits is instant, and hitting exit is instant.  

it has had no effect on any of the inbetween.

1 hour ago, T1JMO said:

Instead of spending lots of money constantly upgrading your PC why not just get FM on Stadia?!

Maybe Stadia is unavailable in his country and there is no guarantee that stadia will be faster than a desktop pc/laptop, and you can't even use facepacks/logos etc. with stadia.

3 hours ago, Feriboy2 said:

Maybe Stadia is unavailable in his country and there is no guarantee that stadia will be faster than a desktop pc/laptop, and you can't even use facepacks/logos etc. with stadia.

I bet you it will be faster!

1 hour ago, T1JMO said:

I bet you it will be faster!

How do you know his internet if fast??? Where I live the fastest internet I can get is 8mb/s.

My laptop isn't great and was going to get it on stadia, but I couldn't risk the internet too slow

On 02/11/2019 at 18:11, Llainen said:

On 02/11/2019 at 18:50, bluemooncheese said:

Do you have a Hdd or SSD In your set up? I run a with a ssd 36 leagues loaded and high database approx 55k players and have 3 half star and no issues with game speed at all so may be hardware issue as oppose to game.... 

To be completely honest, SSD testing has been done over the years and SSD vs HDD has little or no impact on the speed of FM.

As for the OP - what updates have you done for your computer? Often there are things you can do in upgrading firmware and upgrading drivers that make them work more optimally.

What computer have you got - when did you get it - and what are your expecations for the game? 

Can you post your DX Diag file into a service like this and post a link https://justpaste.it/

HOW TO RUN DXDIAG:

1. Press the Windows key and type dxdiag in the search box
  2. Click on dxdiag.exe 

dxdiagicon1.png

dxdiagmainscreen.jpg

dxdiagsaveresults.jpg

1. When DxDiag opens, check to see if there’s a button that says Run 64-bit DxDiag – if there is click it
    • If that button doesn’t appear, move to step 6.
  2. You’ll see a green progress bar in the bottom-left of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window while the program is gathering information.
  3. When the progress bar disappears, it means your report is ready.
  4. Click Save All Information.
  5. Save the file to your desktop (make sure it’s saving as a text file) and give it a name you’ll remember.
  6. Click Exit.