FM20 British and Irish Steel Challenge

When you have no transfer money and no wage budget in a semi-pro league with part-time contracts, I find the first season is about survival while you play with the deadwood someone else brought in.  After last season I ended up bringing in 9 players and getting rid of 5.  I also switch tactics to a flat 4-4-2.  The media said I would end up 8th.  Here is how to year went

·         President of the club stepped down.

·         New President got rid of our debts (we were over 100k in the red), but no new money for wages and no transfer money (still). 

·         Finished 2nd in the league

·         Had three players break the record for league goals.

·         Had the top scoring team by almost 20 goals

In the home match in the promotion match against the 9th play in the Irish Premier Division we tripped our attendance record from 541 to 1479.  The saw us win 1-0 and in the return leg we won promotion to the Irish Premier League after winning in penalties 7-6.  Talk about a heart attack of a game. 

8PM6OEx.jpg

zFkx0CZ.jpg

33eXzbH.jpg

oCOT3N2.jpg

9 hours ago, NoNonsenseFM said:

It's taken 2 weeks but I have a new job. I'm off to England with FC United of Manchester in the National League North

That'd be a fun team, especially because you can combine it with trying to take down Man U. :)

Good luck!

Year 1: 2020-21 Summary
Season Review | Table | Manager Profile 

Season Notes
I started with Nuneaton Town in the Vanarama National League North at the beginning of the 2020 season. We were slated for relegation as a newly promoted team, but had a handful of decent players on the team and over £4k in wage room. We started out the season horribly and sat in 21st place after 18 matches. But our reinforcements started clicking and led us on a long charge through the middle of the season that saw us rise to 7th place. We hung on to that playoff spot for the back third of the season, but got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. We’ll be back next year.

Scoreboard
England: 0/12
Scotland: 0/7
Ireland: 0/8
Northern Ireland: 0/10
Wales: 0/5
European/World: 0/5
International: 0/3
Total: 0/50

At a Glance
okAwG1k.png

Video Playlist

• 4 weeks later...

Year 2: 2021-22 Summary
Season Review | Table | Manager Profile

Season Notes
Nuneaton Town’s board challenged the team to make the playoffs, but the team exceeded expectations in every way. New signings blended well with returning players, and victories came in bunches. In the second month, Nuneaton reached first place, which it held for the remainder of the campaign. By the end, the team set league records for wins and points, and topped the campaign off with a surprising FA Trophy Cup win to earn the double. The two accomplishments give us our first two points in the British & Irish Steel Challenge! Woot! Progress! Only 48 more to go!

Now new challenges await, as the club must navigate the tricky waters of promotion, and will go from big fish in a little pond to little fish in a big pond. Onward to Season 3! 

Scoreboard
England: 2/12 (National North 20-21, FA Trophy Cup 20-21)
Total: 2/50

Year-By-Year
mECkRXl.png

Season 2 Wrap Up Video

Edited by Zilla Blitz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Year 2: 2022-23 Summary
 Table | Manager Profile

Season Notes
Consecutive championships, woot! Although our Cup success was off from the previous year, we can only be thrilled with gaining promotion to League 2 and to be going professional. 

We picked up a number of awards in the post-season. I received the National League Manager of the Year award, which added a bit of gold to my reputation stars. Yassine En-Nayeh picked up National League Player of the Year. Jack Bearne also go National League Goal of the Season (for a goal that really didn’t strike me as being all that exceptional).

But there is hardly a day of rest of us, as the day after our clinching match against Macclesfield Town, the board approached me about going professional, which will officially take place on June 12. We’ll have a lot of work to do in the off season. We’ll need to switch everyone over to full-time contracts, find new and improved players for League 2, expand our stadium seating, and hopefully pry some money out of Chairman Jimmy’s hands for an increased wage budget. Initial projections for a wage budget would put us second to last in wages in the National League, which would be a huge challenge in trying to stay up.

It promises to be a busy summer!

Scoreboard
England: 3/12 (National North 21-22, FA Trophy Cup 21-22, National 22-23)
Total: 2/50

Year-By-Year
eSmOFgI.png

Season 3 Wrap Up Video

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First Season done and I'm delight to knock 3 trophies off my list. Going to resign now and see if there is any obvious moves i can secure, but with sunday league rep it may not be so easy to pick up a club that was built for success like bangor....

Kahuna Gaming_ Inbox-3.png

BS2.PNG

Decided to try this challenege  and went on holiday for the first year to change the landscape a bit before applying for jobs. 

Despite having been turned down by Oxford City in the Vanarama National League South, for some reason Ireland decided I was the man for the job so my first job will be an international one.

First Job.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have started a thread with this Challenge, over here https://community.sigames.com/topic/521753-fm20-conquering-the-british-isles/

I have used part of your presentation for the trophies (thanks!), although I have noted one small mistake, the Northern Irish Charity Shield is no longer played. But to keep the numbers of trophies at an even 50, I have decided to count the Irish Champions Cup twice, with an Irish or with a Northern Irish team !

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...