[FM20] [FM19] The Great San Marino Challenge

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

San Marino National Team 2037

World Cup Qualification: 1st (28 points)

609774104_Screenshot(42).thumb.png.e886057ce5679f3617fe68f0dd613af9.png

1986168450_Screenshot(43).thumb.png.592209b861c299788d0a20e99286d674.png

Given the group, I figured the Dutch would take top spot and I would battle with the Swedes for second, but we really overachieved here. The first international break was alright, with us beating both Armenia and Georgia. However, the Georgia match was frustrating because we couldn’t quite put them away, a recurring theme against the Georgians. The second international break was really where the expectations got revised upward after we ran the Dutch out of the building, delivering a deserved 5-1 beatdown. This was followed by 3 more convincing wins to put us in great position and we effectively wrapped it up with a 0-0 draw against the Dutch, courtesy a penalty save from Berti. This kept us 5 clear with 2 to play and a forthcoming match against Gibraltar, which we comfortably won. The final match was a meaningless match against Sweden, which we easily won to wrap up qualifying with an astounding 28 points.

Looking Forward

The draw has given us Argentina and Costa Rica. It could have been kinder, with both sides posing some challenge. Argentina, obviously, has a very strong squad and taking a point off them would be a reasonable result. Costa Rica should be a win for us, but they do have a world class striker who already has over 100 national team goals at 27 years old. Fortunately, the squad behind him is pretty thin, so we should be able to beat them. For the first time, I’m confident of having a good run in a major tournament before it starts. With world class talents Cenci, Michelotti and Stefanelli joined by a lot of Serie A level talent, I think there is a reasonable chance we could actually win this thing.

-On the subject of national team goal scoring, Manuel Angelini, who has just turned 23, already has 44 goals. As good as Ballon D’Or finalist Marco Cenci is, Angelini is equally prolific for the national team and got started two or three years earlier. He looks like he might get to 100 career goals at some point.

-This is almost certainly the final World Cup for all-time San Marino leading scorer Francesco Gualandi (32 years old) and caps leader Alberto Righi (32 years old). Hopefully another deep run to send them off.

World Ranking: 24 (+6 places)

On 18/11/2020 at 08:55, duesouth said:

For info from the Italy Co-Head Researcher:

"Cattolica SM didn't register for 20/21 season, with Marignanese sharing their club with the city of Cattolica. There are no more San Marino based clubs  in Italian league system, expect for San Marino Academy (FA youth system) that take part to Serie C u18/u20 competitions. You can find them ingame.

Some clubs nearby (Rimini, Cesena, Tropical Coriano, Pietracuta) should produce some sammarinese newgens (in terms of 1 or 2 every 100).

San Marino Calcio experience - unfortunately - is over. Any idea planned in last summers was a flop.

There has always been (for years..) a rumour of creating a FA-owned team in italian lower division to help Sammarinese players grow and train together all year round, but it's a quite complex plan (which will potentally destroy domestic league), so I doubt we'll see something new in next future."

Marignanese Cattolica are Serie D - on my beta save I've loaded Sammarinese players just to have a look and they have 2 playing for them, including a familiar name in Mirko Palazzi.  Rimini are Serie D; Cesena Serie C; Tropical Coriano Eccellenza; Pietracuta Promozione - but 1 or 2 every 100 won't be enough to make a decent go of the challenge, it will need some work in the editor again.

On 17/11/2020 at 15:58, duesouth said:

I searched for Cattolica in the FM21 database, but can't see it...  Did a quick Google search and found this article (translated):

"Registration for the 2020/2021 Serie D championship closed at 6 pm this evening. Cattolica SM and Vigor Carpaneto did not make the request, in fact being excluded from the Serie D championship. In this way San Marino lost the right to participate in the next Serie D championship and in the very difficult case of restart should only do it from lower categories. In this way, after 61 years of history, of which 16 years lived in professionalism, the number 630465 that has always belonged to San Marino Calcio will also disappear. At the basis of the decision, the difficulties encountered in the last two years to find "a territorial and sporting identity", which clashed with the problems associated with the change of name and the transfer of the title to an Italian company. In the press release of the company, there is talk of presuppositions that are missing, despite the salvation achieved."

Looks like some major editor work needed then..., can't say I would want to do the Phoenix thing again - too easy at L6 and 7...

On the plus side, irl, San Marino 0-0 Gibraltar - despite San Marino going down to 10 men!

That is a shame.  I wonder if there are any similar challenges that we could drum up?  Gibraltar, maybe!?  Andorra?

8 hours ago, Wooh! said:

That is a shame.  I wonder if there are any similar challenges that we could drum up?  Gibraltar, maybe!?  Andorra?

I think Andorra is probably a pretty analogous challenge, and likely the one I try next time I do one of these long-term challenges. You have FC Andorra in the third division of the Spanish league system, so you can just import an editor file for the Andorran league system (I know Claassen did this for FM19, but I' not sure about FM20/21). Additionally, FC Andorra is owned by Gerard Pique's holding company IRL, which I presume is reflected in the finances, so maybe it's not quite as difficult.

8 minutes ago, duesouth said:

If anyone is interested in a San Marino league FM21 save - the mighty Claassen has just posted an editor file on Steam:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2297282567

I haven't tested it yet.

New format to the league - looks like just 1 league, rather than a group A and B.  Top 12 qualify for the playoffs, with the top 4 getting a bye to the Q-F.  Squad is now a max of 25 with a max of 9 foreign players in the starting XI.  Free transfers can now be registered at any time.

1 hour ago, The Regista said:

Seems good after holidaying for two years!!

What was the issues first 2 seasons? 

Love this challenge and looking to give it another go this year with a phoenix club SM Calcio and a team in the domestic league.

Edited by Lewis89

Can confirm san marino calcio are in the database and can be reinstated to the leagues. Only problem for me atm is i feel going straight into Serie C would feel abit cheap. Going to have to wait for a lower league Italian database. 

So I've revived San Marino Calcio and placed them into Serie C/C to test what would happen.

Of course, with the club being "extinct", you have no playing squad. This would be the same with Cattolica Calcio San Marino unless someone happens to know the current playing squad.

Regardless, dropping the team into Serie C/C and holidaying for a year yielded the following:

image.png.841047cb8c07f3e3d3556d20ea868f04.png

Given that you'd have a blank canvas and very little budget, it would still represent quite the challenge to get the club off the ground in the first place even in Serie C.

Of course, if you prefer to wait for a Serie D and below league system to drop either club in to, I doubt you'll have to wait very long!

However, most importantly, San Marino Calcio is still producing Sammarinese players, with the odd Italian newgen as well

image.png.209cb91544f3772c1c44d0334f8cd2f0.png

image.png.c65cf54cf033fa428d71280d6f664ee8.png

image.png.73eb93c190c9912408eebb32360725a6.png

So I think the challenge would still work but I can't see this being any new knowledge compared to the previous game, at least with the extinct club. 

I will try with Cattolica later today, but first I will holiday a few more years with San Marino Calcio to see what the newgen production line is like.

Fingers crossed

Edited by The Regista
Screenshots

26 minutes ago, The Regista said:

I will try with Cattolica later today

Thanks for testing this.  Last year with Cattolica, the club was producing Italian youth intakes and we couldn't find anywhere in the Editor to change that, so seemed to be hard coded.  The club will be extinct as well, so best to bring back San Marino Calcio for a Phoenix type challenge.  There are advantages to having a club with no players, as you don't have any dead wood, but Serie C off the bat would be tough.

I'll keep an eye out for FM Revolution's L7 Italian database.  It looks like a number of the San Marino National Team play in the Italian lower leagues, so I think it would be helpful even if going with a San Marino League club only save to have these leagues at least running as "View Only".

So within 2024, the national side has a few newgens kicking around with clubs like Cagliari, Sassuolo and Catania, but the majority are still the newgens from San Marino Calcio as per above along with the San Marino Academy in the U20s leagues.

Seems reasonable.

Will now start testing for Cattolica.

The problem running into S2 with San Marino Calcio is that as they got relegated they don't appear to have produced any newgens.

I will see if they get repromoted in the next 10 years or so.

Would this be resolved by having lower leagues activated (once they are available)?

I was thinking maybe add them into Serie D and holiday a year with the hope they are promoted. Problem is with the third lowest rep + no players what are the chances of them being promoted? 

Probably quite unlikely - you'd have to save just before the new season and reload each time and hope they got promoted.

I think I'm likely to just put them into Serie C and go from there. It's going to be a challenge to get them near the top of that division anyway!

However the thought of managing in the San Marino league is tempting, though I could see myself likely getting frustrated with that long term. What is everyone else's experience of that league - will the overall standard improve dramatically over the save?

However the thought of managing in the San Marino league is tempting, though I could see myself likely getting frustrated with that long term. What is everyone else's experience of that league - will the overall standard improve dramatically over the save?

It doesn't take too much to start dominating the league - so the focus quickly becomes Europe and prize money to improve facilities.  The league improves fairly slowly, but steadily.  As a club in Europe, I had times when I thought I'd hit the ceiling, but you suddenly make a breakthrough.  It took me until 2042 in FM19 to win the Europa League.  I did find the intakes were fairly steady once my facilities were upgraded to max - but I did have the help of some San Marino Calcio rejects who I developed with San Giovanni - without them it would probably take a little longer.

1 minute ago, duesouth said:

It doesn't take too much to start dominating the league - so the focus quickly becomes Europe and prize money to improve facilities.  The league improves fairly slowly, but steadily.  As a club in Europe, I had times when I thought I'd hit the ceiling, but you suddenly make a breakthrough.  It took me until 2042 in FM19 to win the Europa League.  I did find the intakes were fairly steady once my facilities were upgraded to max - but I did have the help of some San Marino Calcio rejects who I developed with San Giovanni - without them it would probably take a little longer.

Did you find domestically it became boring though?

My thoughts are that in Italy you'd have Juve, Inter, AC Milan, Napoli, Roma etc to keep things interesting, whereas domestically in San Marino it wouldn't take too much to start dominating the league. Hence why I'm leaning towards solely doing the Italian league system, though admittedly there would be prize money from Serie A etc, more chance of getting better players easily etc.

I'm sorta in limbo and wouldn't have the time to manage in both leagues and the national side!!

4 minutes ago, The Regista said:

My thoughts are that in Italy you'd have Juve, Inter, AC Milan, Napoli, Roma etc to keep things interesting, whereas domestically in San Marino it wouldn't take too much to start dominating the league. Hence why I'm leaning towards solely doing the Italian league system, though admittedly there would be prize money from Serie A etc, more chance of getting better players easily etc.

I'm sorta in limbo and wouldn't have the time to manage in both leagues and the national side!!

Yes, the league was boring fairly swiftly - but because of the playoff format and 1 Champions League place, that does add excitement come playoff time.  Having said that, once I won Serie A for the first time with San Marino Calcio, that got very easy and boring as well - think I won 12 or 13 Serie A titles on the bounce and after the first one without any real challengers.

59 minutes ago, The Regista said:

When i did the two team save on fm19 i played with San Giovanni and played it with a policy of Sammarinesse players only. This kept it interesting for me anyway. 

5 hours ago, The Regista said:

Apologies if this is not permitted, but I have placed San Marino into Serie C/C and uploaded to the workshop

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2299300410

I'm still undecided on what to do!!

Thanks for this man! Have started a save tonight, I will update everyone if I stumble into any problems! But while it's obviously not as good as when the club existed it least allows us to keep going with this challenge

I've played with The Regista's editor and everything is working as it should so thanks @The Regista. One thing I would mention is that for some reason, not sure if it's to do with San Marino Calcio or Italy in real life, nearly half of the Italian free transfers cannot sign until January if you try to sign them after September 1st so to avoid that I started in July so it gives you plenty of time to get a squad together.

3 hours ago, TheArsenal said:

So is it worth having an FM21 San Marino challenge thread? Seems like a few people might be giving this a go - I'm hoping to get my own save up and running over the weekend.

With the editor requirements for the challenge, I was hoping someone better in the editor than me would launch the FM21 challenge thread.  I've done a year, so would like to pass the torch - also not sure whether I'll start again or try another save - still thinking about it...

1 hour ago, duesouth said:

With the editor requirements for the challenge, I was hoping someone better in the editor than me would launch the FM21 challenge thread.  I've done a year, so would like to pass the torch - also not sure whether I'll start again or try another save - still thinking about it...

Not just a case of using Classen's San Marino league file and Regista's San Marino Calcio file to kick off a new save then?

32 minutes ago, TheArsenal said:

Not just a case of using Classen's San Marino league file and Regista's San Marino Calcio file to kick off a new save then?

Some might want to start in Serie D or even L7 as I did last year when the FM Revolution database comes out.

Bit late to return to this but I've seen that Sangue Blu has uploaded a lower league Italian database

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2299741102

Some people may want to restore San Marino Calcio here.

I can have a look at his work and perhaps bring SMC into Serie D - I presume no one is bothered which group within Serie D they go in? Perhaps Serie D Girone F? They may already be in there.

Edited by The Regista

11 hours ago, The Regista said:

Bit late to return to this but I've seen that Sangue Blu has uploaded a lower league Italian database

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2299741102

Some people may want to restore San Marino Calcio here.

I can have a look at his work and perhaps bring SMC into Serie D - I presume no one is bothered which group within Serie D they go in? Perhaps Serie D Girone F? They may already be in there.

I made San Marino Calcio into three different clubs, namely teams a, b, and c that played at different levels. Team A someday will be filled with star players, while Team B and C can accommodate the best players from the San Marino country in the San Marino Challenge FM 2021. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2299897025&searchtext=san+marino

San Marino will play at Serie D Girone F. If you want to play in Serie D and lower you can download it too. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2299741102

oRGegqT7dblRYDTSViTmvH8Pc8N23KZcOfJOtSTs.jpeg

dzUsdgXaxGHQusnFNeQMFPZcONIXCcAJzDCMPjD3.jpeg

8EyXfnIxdkErXLEbctLuEDZh3Siw841t5UOV0ocR.jpeg

3 hours ago, Handyfernandy said:

I made San Marino Calcio into three different clubs, namely teams a, b, and c that played at different levels. Team A someday will be filled with star players, while Team B and C can accommodate the best players from the San Marino country in the San Marino Challenge FM 2021. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2299897025&searchtext=san+marino

San Marino will play at Serie D Girone F. If you want to play in Serie D and lower you can download it too. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2299741102

oRGegqT7dblRYDTSViTmvH8Pc8N23KZcOfJOtSTs.jpeg

dzUsdgXaxGHQusnFNeQMFPZcONIXCcAJzDCMPjD3.jpeg

8EyXfnIxdkErXLEbctLuEDZh3Siw841t5UOV0ocR.jpeg

Some challenge that @Handyfernandy!! Think you'll get it done?

I agree with @duesouth in that we probably need a new thread, though I don't think that I'm really the one to run it for the full year.

So I was able to insert San Marino Calcio into the L7 database created by Sangue Blu

You'll need a start date as early as you possibly can in order to bring in all the players needed to begin the league campaign

Don't forget to get in U20 and U18 managers unless you want to manage those games too!!

Shall we make the new thread?

I started having a look at the San Marino Calcio in Serie C file that Regista put on the workshop. For me, the available pre-season options were pretty short, and players weren't able to join until Sept 1st so I was playing my first few friendlies with 'greyed' out players who weren't properly signed for the club. Given the level of players I was able to agree contracts with, I think Serie C survival would be very difficult - almost think Serie D (or lower) might provide a better position to build from? What are other people's thoughts?

On 29/11/2020 at 21:15, The Regista said:

So I was able to insert San Marino Calcio into the L7 database created by Sangue Blu

You'll need a start date as early as you possibly can in order to bring in all the players needed to begin the league campaign

Don't forget to get in U20 and U18 managers unless you want to manage those games too!!

Shall we make the new thread?

Are you able to share this file? I think I would like to start from the bottom.

On 30/11/2020 at 15:16, TheArsenal said:

I started having a look at the San Marino Calcio in Serie C file that Regista put on the workshop. For me, the available pre-season options were pretty short, and players weren't able to join until Sept 1st so I was playing my first few friendlies with 'greyed' out players who weren't properly signed for the club. Given the level of players I was able to agree contracts with, I think Serie C survival would be very difficult - almost think Serie D (or lower) might provide a better position to build from? What are other people's thoughts?

In the hotfix that got released today, one of the updates was "Updates to competition and registration rules in nations including Israel, Romania, Portugal and South Korea".  I was getting the same problem when I tried - and also I started an Andorran challenge save but that was worse - couldn't sign them until 2022!!  However, I would imagine this fix would need a new save...

18 minutes ago, duesouth said:

In the hotfix that got released today, one of the updates was "Updates to competition and registration rules in nations including Israel, Romania, Portugal and South Korea".  I was getting the same problem when I tried - and also I started an Andorran challenge save but that was worse - couldn't sign them until 2022!!  However, I would imagine this fix would need a new save...

When was the hotfix? I started a save a couple of hours ago and the 1st September issue still remained

14 minutes ago, Cuomo10 said:

When was the hotfix? I started a save a couple of hours ago and the 1st September issue still remained

Around that time - might test it later tonight.  Could be San Marino wasn't on their list of nations fixed...

1 hour ago, duesouth said:

Around that time - might test it later tonight.  Could be San Marino wasn't on their list of nations fixed...

Quite possibly... I will also try again later. 

Do you know if there is an available league pack for all of Italy which includes San Marino Calcio?