Help building tactics

For most of my time on FM19 I've generally just used other people's tactics and have my assistant deal with the other details. But I want to build up a team from a low division and part of that needs to be playing correctly which I know preset tactics are not going to be sufficient for my plan. I've Chosen Leixões from the Portuguese 2nd league and after viewing the team report, I need help being able to dissect the strength and weakness information and applying it to my tactics. I've never really played soccer besides when I was little so my only experience is 500 hours on this game and what I watch on TV lol.

I've linked an imgur album of the relevant tabs that I'm looking at. (Yes my striker is named Tarzan lmao)

So from what I see, a 4-2-3-1 is probably best but I'm open to suggestions, i don't have great vision, technique, corners, or first touch, so I would gamble a possession based style is out of the question and I'd be better suited towards more direct, physical styles?

https://imgur.com/a/Zj2BfYF

I generally start from the top of the pitch and work my way down. Which means I look at what my best goalscorer is and then I just work my way down through roles and duties that compliment it. An attacking fwd (adv, poacher etc) will have a different setup of roles  behind him than a supporting striker. 

I guess you could do it the same way for any position. But I tend to find it easiest with the striker. Who's your best player?

and yeah 4231 or 41221 but you need good fullbacks to make either of those work. I like 442 for lower league managing. Lone striker formations require good, well rounded supporting players which, in my experience, I rarely have at this level. You could probably train most of your AML/ AMR's to play there. 

Edited by Guerin

2 hours ago, Guerin said:

I generally start from the top of the pitch and work my way down. Which means I look at what my best goalscorer is and then I just work my way down through roles and duties that compliment it. An attacking fwd (adv, poacher etc) will have a different setup of roles  behind him than a supporting striker. 

I guess you could do it the same way for any position. But I tend to find it easiest with the striker. Who's your best player?

and yeah 4231 or 41221 but you need good fullbacks to make either of those work. I like 442 for lower league managing. Lone striker formations require good, well rounded supporting players which, in my experience, I rarely have at this level. You could probably train most of your AML/ AMR's to play there. 

So after looking through my roster heres my options

Strikers:

1. Tarzan - CA:70 PA:76.3

2. Andre Clovis - CA:66 PA:73.8

Tarzan is a right-footed natural Trequartista and only 23 with room to grow and will serve me for now. But I don't believe I've had a team where my best striker was a Trequartista so I have zero idea about tactics in that role.

Left wing: Lopes - 22 CA:65 PA:69.4

Right Wing: Brandao - 27 CA:66.3 PA:67.9

10/Attack mid: Ze Paulo - 24 CA:64.8 PA:73.10

Midfielder: Luis Silva - 25 CA: 70.3 PA:74.7 (high injury risk)

Midfielder: Pepo - 24 CA:66.5 PA:70.7

CBs: Bura - 29 CA:72.6 PA:75.10 (My highest rated player)

Monteiro - 24 CA:67.9 PA:71

Left Back: Dasse - 28 CA:67.4 PA:68.4

Right Back: Silva - 22 CA:67.9 PA:73.20

GK: Tony 25 - CA:67.1 PA: 69.90

So that's my best starting XI by rating in a traditional 4-2-3-1 formation. I can see my left back position could be improved in the future as well as grabbing a better CB pairing in the future for Bura. My no.10 Ze Paulo has a high ceiling compared to his CA so I'm certain giving him playtime and trusting my system with him would be the best thing to do longterm. Will need a better goalie in the future too.

But back to my point earlier, how do I create tactics around a Treq striker, a promising young no.10 (Pepo can also slot into this role with a backup DM who is decent filling in). My Right Back Silva is best as a Wing-Back going forward, while Dasse is much older and better suited playing more defensive. Silva and Pepo are suited as DM's naturally so my midfield is going to be reliant on a no.10/Ze Paulo to carry the ball forwards and link play it feels like. Any other advice from this information? I can upload their stats and traits soon, but I don't have access to my game save for a few more hours.

Edited by leixoesproject

26 minutes ago, leixoesproject said:

how do I create tactics around a Treq striker, a promising young no.10 (Pepo can also slot into this role with a backup DM who is decent filling in). My Right Back Silva is best as a Wing-Back going forward, while Dasse is much older and better suited playing more defensive. Silva and Pepo are suited as DM's naturally so my midfield is going to be reliant on a no.10/Ze Paulo to carry the ball forwards and link play it feels like.

Ok, so 4231 or 4231DM it is.

First off, you need a direct, goal-scorer coming from somewhere. Trequartista is going to float around, drop off and create rather than focus solely on getting on the end of chances- he'll be more like a firminho-type player. The advantage is that he will create lots of space for one of your remaining front 3 to attack. I'd aim to get the AM to attack aggressively through the middle- that way whenever your treq roams around, you'll have someone central, ready to drive into the striker slot.   You could also look at the two wide-players to achieve a similar thing if your AM is more of a creative type/ link man. 

Edited by Guerin

5 minutes ago, Guerin said:

Ok, so 4231 or 4231DM it is.

First off, you need a direct, goal-scorer coming from somewhere. Trequartista is going to float around, drop off and create rather than focus solely on getting on the end of chances. The advantage is that he will create lots of space for one of your front 3 to attack. Ze Paulo is a creative player (poor finishing high vision) ? If so, your goalscorer might then be one of your two wide-players.    

Would he operate similar to how Firmino works with Mane and Salah to bring them in the diagonals by dropping deep and creating channels?

4 minutes ago, leixoesproject said:

Would he operate similar to how Firmino works with Mane and Salah to bring them in the diagonals by dropping deep and creating channels?

Weird. I just added that to my reply. Exactly. If your CF drops off, then you need someone to directly attack space- much like Salah. 

Getting the combination of goal-scorer and treq right is the most important part really. I think the rest of the roles and duties ( fullbacks etc) will pick themselves once you decide on that.

Edited by Guerin