The FM20 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fastbasher said:

Transfer fees are escalating in the Hungarian first division.

image.thumb.png.7ece89558ca321feb88f90f4dd91ce69.png

That's why I think you should be able to load more leagues in the challenge - loading only one makes it behave kinda silly and unrealistic in my opinion.

il y a 25 minutes, Soviet a dit :

That's why I think you should be able to load more leagues in the challenge - loading only one makes it behave kinda silly and unrealistic in my opinion.

"We used to limit this to just loading the leagues from the country you are playing in but we now allow you to load as many leagues as you to add a bit more immersion into their saves. You don't have to add any more than the country you are playing in but the option is there for people that want to."

You are allowed to do it. You just need to be carefull with the amount of leagues/players, so the process time doesnt become too long.

I tend to have 15k players (england+international reputation players) with the main leagues in view only.

Oh, that's cool!

I have another question: anyone doing the challenge seen the board add the "develop players using youth system" goal to club culture? I thought it will be shaped by our actions and such, but I haven't seen it.

Edited by Soviet

2 minutes ago, Soviet said:

Oh, that's cool!

I have another question: anyone doing the challenge seen the board add the "develop players using youth system" goal to club culture? I thought it will be shaped by our actions and such, but I haven't seen it.

Happened for me with Stratford, though only after a takeover...

I actually asked about it, and Seb told me it's not implemented yet based on your actions (the same as playing style is), so I asked for it in the suggestions subforum.

Hey guys!

New to this challenge but not to FM, I'd really like to give it a go. In the French FM community a similar challenge is called "lifeban" but you get to start anywhere.

My question is the following : I'm hesitating between Holland and Iceland for leagues to play in. 

I work a lot in the week and as much as I'd like to, I only get to spend a couple of hours on FM here and there. 

Thus, Iceland seems a good choice, with its 22 matches league and its long pauses you can just skip with holidays. But Holland seems fun and easier, since the league is more competitive and the nation is better ranked for regens. So overall, it would probably take less time to complete the challenge in Holland even though one season would be longer to play.

So what's your advice ?

Thank you

3 minutes ago, PresidentCamembert said:

Hey guys!

New to this challenge but not to FM, I'd really like to give it a go. In the French FM community a similar challenge is called "lifeban" but you get to start anywhere.

My question is the following : I'm hesitating between Holland and Iceland for leagues to play in. 

I work a lot in the week and as much as I'd like to, I only get to spend a couple of hours on FM here and there. 

Thus, Iceland seems a good choice, with its 22 matches league and its long pauses you can just skip with holidays. But Holland seems fun and easier, since the league is more competitive and the nation is better ranked for regens. So overall, it would probably take less time to complete the challenge in Holland even though one season would be longer to play.

So what's your advice ?

Thank you

Welcome!

The challenge is fun, very hard, but fun indeed. I'm playing in Iceland, and I'm really enjoying it. The one issue with some Icelandic clubs, is that they don't have their own youth teams or reserves, but rather share them with other teams. This makes it quite annoying, having to keep all youth players in the main squad at times. So if you are going to try Iceland, I'd advise you to take over a team with its own youth team! The one I use have one, but there could be others as well.

I've never tried this in Holland, so I can't say much for how it is. But it should be easier in the long run than Iceland. In small nations such as Iceland and other similar nations, it's usually not that hard to win the domestic trophies, the hard part is making way in Europe. For bigger nations it's much harder to win the league, but once you are good enough for that, you should have a good chance of doing well in Europe. So it's kind of a trade off.

Good luck no matter what country you chose! :)

Truro City failed epicly. I made some mistakes and I give up after being 15 points adrift from safety with 10 games to go.
Anyway: I start this challenge again, now in Argentina. Reset Date 20th of July.
I'm born in Flanders, the dutch speaking part of Belgium. And in the 3rd division of Argentina lingers a club called... Flandria! A club founded by a Flemish man, just like me!
I can feel connected to this club so that's why I'm taking this one!

flandria.png

So yeah I've changed clubs again as it just wasn't working for me at Whitby - although if anyone is looking for a good team to start with I'd recommend them as they do have some decent players and nice kits.

I've taken over at Stourbridge! I think this might be my last attempt so if I mess up again then I think I'll just try the Dafuge challenge with Stourbridge again. So fingers crossed! 

2019-11-26.thumb.png.4155f3c7b40a74100092a2c9ed362ee5.png

Thankfully we've made a very good start having played the first 1/4 of the season and I'm hopeful we can survive season 1! The difficulty will be getting enough talent in as training facilities, youth rec and coaching are all pretty poor. Let's go nonetheless!

70636713_2019-11-26(1).thumb.png.1b46b7c0ad7f52df73f543c147a73d78.png

East_Kilbride_F.C._crest.png.44ad274b6e26944b6f1713e450f3d829.png

East Kilbride F.C.

End of season 2021/2022

Well,  I can't complain about this season. We had some very good matches, but overall we were not good enough to reach te playoffs. Teams like Brechin or Cove Rangers are just too good for us at this moment. So i'm very happy with this 6th place.

vWOrEea.png

2nl8fjQ.png

In the Scottish Cup we lost in the Fourth Round against St. Johnstone. Away we somehow managed to get away with a draw. But in the home match they were just too good, although they only scored just one goal.

XtdjG1g.png

2yeWqQ7.png

Our finances still aren't great, so I can't upgrade the facilities. I need to wait until we promote to the Chamionship or the Premiership i'm affraid.

jlHoPtp.png

Club Vision and Club Culture hasn't changed for next season. But they are happy at how things are going, and so am I.

YWw0OYK.png

Best players
That's not very difficult. Two players really stand out this season.
m09KDj7.png

YN8x2Sz.png

Mcculloch has not scored that mutch goals, but I played him in quite some different positions this season. A lot of Premiership club are interested, so I think he played his last match for us.

Best youth player

COfbxuk.png

Logan had a direct impact and scored 10 goals in his debut season. I'm very happy with his contribution to the team.

A0P6pR3.jpg

6 hours ago, XaW said:

Welcome!

The challenge is fun, very hard, but fun indeed. I'm playing in Iceland, and I'm really enjoying it. The one issue with some Icelandic clubs, is that they don't have their own youth teams or reserves, but rather share them with other teams. This makes it quite annoying, having to keep all youth players in the main squad at times. So if you are going to try Iceland, I'd advise you to take over a team with its own youth team! The one I use have one, but there could be others as well.

I've never tried this in Holland, so I can't say much for how it is. But it should be easier in the long run than Iceland. In small nations such as Iceland and other similar nations, it's usually not that hard to win the domestic trophies, the hard part is making way in Europe. For bigger nations it's much harder to win the league, but once you are good enough for that, you should have a good chance of doing well in Europe. So it's kind of a trade off.

The lowest playable division in Holland is one down-one up for the promotion/relegation at the bottom.  So, it's easier to build a strong youth foundation.  Just need to finish 19th out of 20 in order to stay and keeping building (if the board is okay with 19th place finishes).

1 hour ago, keeper#1 said:

The lowest playable division in Holland is one down-one up for the promotion/relegation at the bottom.  So, it's easier to build a strong youth foundation.  Just need to finish 19th out of 20 in order to stay and keeping building (if the board is okay with 19th place finishes).

Not far enough into my first season to properly report, but I wanted to highlight this word  :mad: :lol: :mad: :lol:

1 hour ago, keeper#1 said:

isn't Scotland the best for that as you can finish bottom and then its a one off game against a team from the league below?

8 hours ago, XaW said:

Welcome!

I think only your team and my team (IR) have a youth or reserve team, I checked all of them. 

Hello,

I don´t find this thing in the first post, even do I can be blind.

What's the rule about buying back old players, for example if you sell a own regen and after 5 years get the chance to buy him back. Is that allowed or will he be dead for you? Thank in advance!

22 minutes ago, helminho said:

Hello,

What's the rule about buying back old players, for example if you sell a own regen and after 5 years get the chance to buy him back. Is that allowed or will he be dead for you? Thank in advance!

Nope, no players in except the youth intake. No exceptions.

1 hour ago, helminho said:

Hello,

Oh, they're definitely dead to me, although should things ever go bad for my challenge, I might cheer myself up by writing a report on how the careers of the traitors have crashed and burned since leaving us.

I've just checked out the career of the first traitor, and he's playing regular first team football in Serie A.

But eventually, they'll all be looking up at us from the detritus of their fates.

image.png.151bcf45deea9f18c1892d257272ae44.png

Bari Season 10 (2028/29) Update: FM 19 (I'll post here for now and move to other thread if needed)

Last season saw us in our first champions league campaign after winning Serie A, and we still managed to finish second, however I'd lost some of the passion for the save during the first part of the season. Towards the end I rediscovered it having settled on a smaller squad of 23 players, which I find much more enjoyable as I like to ensure everybody in my main squad gets playing time. Starting the 2028/29 season I was much happier with the squad in general, although a few issues needed ironing out.

Main squad start of the season

Second string

Boakye's contract was up in 2029, and as you can see he is by far my best player. In addition, Favot, my second best player (despite a horrible jumping stat he rarely gets caught out for it!) was making noises about leaving, although these were quickly squashed. I tried to sell Boakye, but Man City's £60 million bid came with too many clauses. Then to my delight, Boakye withdrew his transfer request of 18 months and signed a new contract! (The image of his stats was taken just after this which is why it says 2033 there!). 

Serie A

We have always struggled to beat Atalanta, and having secured 2 draws and 2 wins from our opening 4 games, we faced them away. Expecting a drubbing, I played quite defensively, but we hit them on the break repeatedly and smashed them 3-0! We went on a decent run of 4 wins and 1 loss from our next 5 games to move top of the pile after 10 games played. Unlike in previous seasons we seemed to be winning on merit rather than runs of grinding out wins, followed by 1 or 2 heavy losses to top teams (especially away from home). At various points we beat our record of winning games in a row and staying unbeaten. By the time we faced Atalanta again, we were already top and another victory meant we moved 8 points clear. From then on, it was relatively simple and we secured our second title win in three years!

I have to say, I have noticed a distinct lack of high points totals in Serie A and Serie B for that matter. In both title wins, 80 ish points would have been enough. A far cry from when Juventus were dominating the league before our promotion. Can't complain though!

Champions League

This year I was very proud of our improved performance in this competition. We performed superbly in our group, beating Real Madrid away on our way to topping the group. More was to follow, as we demolished Man City and Arsenal before falling to an away goal against PSG in the semi-finals, the eventual winners. 

Awards

Manager of the Year, Club of the Year (lost the screenshots for these somewhere)

Player of the year (one of my best youth prospects)

Midfielder of the year (another of my best youth prospects)

Top scorer (a first for my Bari team)

Squad news, youth intake

The youth intake was poor this year, for the first time no 4.5-5* potential players. I signed a few on just to see if anything comes of them. In terms of the squad, I am very happy with the strength in depth in all positions bar LB. GK I have Palumbo who will start more and more to hopefully improve over my starting GK Ferrari, who has done well, but his Serie B quality is becoming more obvious as my squad improves as a general. Although I'm still overachieving, the overall ability of my squad is approaching at least top 6 quality and I expect a more realistic challenge for the Champions League title in the next 2-3 years.

GK and Def

Mid and Att

In the reserves I have a number of young players with high potential, who will be promoted as and when an opportunity arrives. This is the main reason I'm not too concerned over the youth intake from this year.

Transfers 

Nothing of note, struggling to sell on my average players if I'm honest!

Other news

Finances were doing great, but then I decided to ask for a stadium expansion as we're filling capacity more and more - they only went and gave me a sizeable increase! Finances still very healthy obviously as you can see from the summary below!

Next season

I guess the target remains Champions League glory, however, I'd settle for another season of youth progression with some of my best prospects so that the entire squad is able to handle the top teams more effectively. Although there was progress this season against the top teams, away from home I have no answer other than 'park the bus' and get a 0-0 bore draw, more often than not. 

Season League Finish Finances Youth facilities Training facilities Youth recruitment Junior coaching Top scorer Top assists
1 Serie C 1st £2.8 million Average Average Above average Average Simeri (23) Bollini (11)
2 Serie B 7th (lost in play off semis) £2.4 million Good Good Established Adequate Simeri (11) Ottalenghi (7)
3 Serie B 9th £2.95 million Good Great Established Exceptional Simeri (7) Paba 21D (7)
4 Serie B 2nd (promoted) £7 million Great Great Established Exceptional Rossi (11) Margagliotti 20C (9)
5 Serie A 5th (qualified for Euro Cup) £30 million Great Excellent Extensive Exceptional Parlato (11) Margagliotti 20C (8)
6 Serie A 5th (qualified for Euro Cup) £72 million Excellent Superb Extensive Exceptional Parlato (20) Parise, Margagliotti and Bernardini (8)
7 Serie A 5th (qualified for Euro Cup) £101 million Superb  State of the art Extensive Exceptional Parlato (16) Margagliotti (11)
8 Serie A 1st!! £136 million State of the art State of the art Extensive Exceptional Tortora (21) Troiano (12)
9 Serie A 2nd £178 million State of the art Superb Extensive Exceptional Parlato (17) Dibenedetto (8)
10 Serie A 1st £175 million State of the art State of the art Extensive Exceptional Tortora (21) Dibenedetto (11)

20191123180305_1.jpg.da5bd7a549b749d245b40996cf2ed1a6.jpg

Gainsborough Trinity Season 2020/21

Overall a pretty good first season, i was never near relegation, and was often slipping in or out of playoffs. In fact I did so well that I won Manager of the Season

20191126210953_1.thumb.jpg.88cc5ba479593178f30cc806a5267d05.jpg

20191126204913_1.thumb.jpg.85cc39a3d2abe2d51364e8e87baf5638.jpg

Ended the season at 11th, Ashley Worsfold & Curtis Morrison were joint top scorer with 9 each (both played as inverted wingers), top assists was Tom Davie one of my wingbacks with 7, and highest rated was Harry Middleton at 6.90 who played the creative role in midfield. Harry is my current highest rated player

20191126214343_1.thumb.jpg.04d8c49adef6aaaa4e94cd22934c7c9d.jpg

Transfers

20191126204923_1.thumb.jpg.646b4120c65b5ed7f8eceae67dea6af0.jpg

My ended up doing back to back studying all the way up to National A (still currently studying for that one)

20191126212431_1.thumb.jpg.4291e216839e898581b7a1f49cab684d.jpg

Youth Intake was not too bad.

Chris Butler is who my HoYD talked about

20191126202119_1.thumb.jpg.7a0f877882faa2520dcc1081ba881c0e.jpg

Jared Feurtado is highest current ability and will likely get some play time this season

20191126202204_1.thumb.jpg.0a4fa523d33704a8f67b6c8f72e5b1e2.jpg

2 of my older players have announce retirement, one barely played and the other mainly covered for injures so not too much of a loss.

Biggest thing to change over the season was my style of play, as i carried on doing so well and lot of times teams started sitting back against me and the Fluid Counter Attack style started to struggle, for those games I started using

20191126212219_1.thumb.jpg.ac5db99d10690d34950a4c9eb2d20670.jpg

and by ended of season it was my main tactic and used against everyone. Feeling good about next season, which probably means I'll crash and burn lol

Seasons.thumb.png.99159f39ddf4a55d877019d4be964828.png

Edited by Habituz

This game easily could have finished 10-0 or more but in the end the scoreline isn't that bad!

Our keeper even saved Wayne Rooney's penalty to deny him the hattrick!

381785128_2019-11-27(1).thumb.png.f53d61c7dda8fc8d78729667c898b35c.png

Finances are now looking very healthy, and hopefully we can get another set of upgrades in a month or so.

1264100694_2019-11-27(2).thumb.png.dccc5c632a7f975e5f48e0031d7501e6.png

image.png.5feb2772f3e84633d0a4a8cab0fc3b9c.png

2034/35 Putnok season review - Hungarian division II

The League

We started off with just three draws from our first seven games, then spent the rest of the season trying to secure a top half finish. We had a decent middle season, but tailed off at the end, eventually finishing in 9th.

Lost in the 3rd round of the cup to top division ZTE.

The Players

Nobody really covered themselves in glory this season. The biggest individual achievement was István Albert breaking the club league appearance record with 401 caps.

The youth intake was again quite poor. Krisztián Benedek YP35a was the only half decent looking player.

Transfers

A few players sold to keep the finances ticking over. Ferenc Radoki was a first choice CM, but not exactly a star. 1.1m seemed like good deal.

Extra Time

We've reached a bit of a block when it comes to facility upgrades. The last couple are too expensive. We either need to get back to the top division, sell a player for a fortune or win the cup and get a run in Europe.

The first top quality player to come through our academy, Dávid Gábor YP25a, is doing ok for himself. No full Hungarian caps, but he did get 22 U21 caps, 13 U21 goals and is an established 1st division player with ZTE, getting European football and a decent wage.

Going to finally give this one a real go after a long time away from FM. Just thinking of what league I want to try.

Any suggestions? I’m considering Brazil just for the crazy league format. But I don’t know. I’m happy to consider just about anything...

Edited by DrPoods

2 minutes ago, DrPoods said:

Going to finally give this one a real go after a long time away from FM. Just thinking of what league I want to try.

Any suggestions?

Welcome!

Depends on what you are looking for. Bigger leagues are most difficult at the start because of higher level of opponents, while smaller leagues are more difficult when you go to Europe. I have a preference for the latter, but I often try England as well. I'm enjoying Iceland at the moment, but I also know it's going to be a long haul before I'm anywhere close to completing it.

I've enjoyed Portugal before, and also Turkey, but couldn't complete it. The only time I've actually done it is with Kettering in FM19.

2 minutes ago, XaW said:

Welcome!

Depends on what you are looking for. Bigger leagues are most difficult at the start because of higher level of opponents, while smaller leagues are more difficult when you go to Europe. I have a preference for the latter, but I often try England as well. I'm enjoying Iceland at the moment, but I also know it's going to be a long haul before I'm anywhere close to completing it.

I've enjoyed Portugal before, and also Turkey, but couldn't complete it. The only time I've actually done it is with Kettering in FM19.

Yeah. I tried it a few times with smaller nations and it just never stuck. That’s why I am considering a bigger league.

Not sure why I am considering Brazil. Probably just for “something different”. Issue is that, if I recall correctly, Brazilian seasons can end up being excruciatingly long.

5 minutes ago, DrPoods said:

Yeah. I tried it a few times with smaller nations and it just never stuck. That’s why I am considering a bigger league.

Not sure why I am considering Brazil. Probably just for “something different”. Issue is that, if I recall correctly, Brazilian seasons can end up being excruciatingly long.

Yeah, some massive amount of matches in Brazil, otherwise I'd might have a go there as well. Never actually tried this outside Europe, so there is something to be said for doing that some time in the future...

1443053926_PalermoLogo.thumb.jpg.9698fd8adfe04c64d7042684244bf928.jpg

2021 / 2022

League Table           Youth Intake       Transfer History

Season 2020 / 21 - 10th Serie C/C - Knocked out 1st round Promotion Playoff

Season 2021 / 22 - 5th Serie C / C - Knocked out 3rd round Promotion Playoff

Great progress this season but still have to fight really hard for the points. I've been really stubborn with my tactic as I feel it has alot of potential.

Expecting to take steps closer to the top teams next season as my squad now has depht and start to develop.

Youth intake was something special with Giorgio Talarico looking like a future star for any club.

My U18 finishing the season winning U18 Division 2 and U18 Super Cup beating Atlanta the winner of Division 1.

Was hoping I might get promoted with my U18 team but that didnt happen. 

GL All !!! :) 

20191127134758_1.thumb.jpg.81466a1af5ea812370f999e9f9fbe0d2.jpg

Edited by Diego D10S

1 minute ago, DrPoods said:

Apologies to @Diego D10S but Palermo look too good to be true.

Mind if I give them a go as well?

Ofc that would be fun  :) 

But dont get your expectations too high. The first season is really hard as they demand playoff and I started with a really small squad.

Serie C is a tough leauge with alot of good teams, so its a challenge for sure. But I really enjoy Italy and its many teams with good facilities you can give a go.

Just now, Diego D10S said:

Ofc that would be fun  :) 

But dont get your expectations too high. The first season is really hard as they demand playoff and I started with a really small squad.

Serie C is a tough leauge with alot of good teams, so its a challenge for sure. But I really enjoy Italy and its many teams with good facilities you can give a go.

Yeah I know the drill. I recall trying the Small to Big Challenge with Parma back in the day.

Now THAT was a demanding board!