Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, MBarbaric said:

If it wasn't counter attack, then it was indeed poor defensive shape. Note the positioning of black wingers  while the opposition plays through the middle.

def.png

The wingers are probably set to attack duty. For whatever reason SI has again decided to make wide players sit incredibly wide without the ball when they're on attack. Very unrealistic 

41 minutes ago, Obaaa said:

The problem is the sheer number of chances created from awful/no defending. The ME compensates this with loads of missed chances to make the scorelines semi-realistic.

My own "conspiracy comment" was meant to be tongue in cheek. Balancing the game does not work that way. On early FM15 Players reported Weekly 6-4 scorelines, and to lesser extent even some AI sides produced some interesting average results. Unlike most of the chances in that Arsenal match, there were tactical combinatioins that actually pulled Players all over the shop and drag defenders severely out of Position for the Forward to have time to create tap-in-like Scenarios, as they caused up to half a Team not to help defending. By that logic, SI should have made forwards bottling basically open goals to Keep scorelines realistic. They did not. Those are genuine chances. Still on almost all of those one on ones the Forward still Ends up being closed down and pushed at pace. He's also still facing a fully game keeper, as so typical. 

The one on ones may still be much to frequent / and too oftenly missed/saved/put at the keeper. However even with a realistic scoring Ratio it is doubtful that they would balloon average scorelines anything quite like anything early FM 2015. I think this Needs be stressed as if you follow that line of thought a step further, you may make the conclusion that the game were out to artificially punish your side by making them struggling to score when having "too many chances". At that Point you would never look for possible Solutions for Problems you Encounter, and would explain everything away with another Theory. Pretty sure it's under review. Also Pretty sure that SI try to aim at a somewhat realistic balance -- which they may still fail on. Besides, if the Goal of the engine was it to produce "realistic scorelines no matter what", there'd be probably far less obvious (and less customer enraging :D) Methods of ensuring such than deliberately coding Forwards not being able to convert a thing over and over. 

Edited by Svenc

10 minutes ago, 91836 said:

The wingers are probably set to attack duty. For whatever reason SI has again decided to make wide players sit incredibly wide without the ball when they're on attack. Very unrealistic 

This is from FM15...

Which is why again, people should stick to giving feedback on FM20 only, all that's happening here is that is getting muddied

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

They introduced that last year. Best goal I scored on FM19 was a wonderful curling shot into the top corner from Dennis Praet in my Sampdoria save. 

Didn't play 19 much, but Gomez almost scored a wonderful curling effort - hit the post.

52 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

178 hours* into this game so far (plus another 10 on classic mode). That's about 3 times as long as I'd put into an RPG or something on the PS4. And it's not even been released yet. How people can query this game's value for money is beyond me. 

*still only 3/4 through the 2nd season :lol:

You easily get your money's worth, if it keeps me out the pub one Saturday night I'm quid's in 

45 minutes ago, Obaaa said:

Just watched it out of interest and yeah it's laughably bad. Doesn't matter if it's a Youtuber streaming one game or anyone else seeing it happen in 100 games, it's still unrealistic.

The problem is the sheer number of chances created from awful/no defending. The ME compensates this with loads of missed chances to make the scorelines semi-realistic.

It's not unrealistic if it's a one off (although admittedly this apparently isnt, I've not watched the videos). I've seen my own football team miss five simple chances in one match, including a winger shooting from a tight angle and missing instead of cutting the ball back, and a missed one on one...

In saying that, we've also missed something incredible like 7 penalties in the past two seasons.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb kiwityke1983:

Arsenal must have missed 6 or 7 clear one on one's in the second match. Ferminio scored a laughable OG in the first and missed an absolute sitter to boot.

It looks laughable when u sit and watch 2 games back to back like that.

Is scoring some own goal now a bug? 

I don't know what you are talking about? The first game is completely normal and in the second ManU left too much space in the first half and Arsenal missed 4 or 5 very good chances. Not 20 or 25. Second half ManU recovered. And now? I've seen games like that like a million times in football, what's wrong with that? 

Edited by Defensive

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

This is from FM15...

Which is why again, people should stick to giving feedback on FM20 only, all that's happening here is that is getting muddied

I do think comparisons are neccessary (maybe a seperate thread??) all be it indirectly relevant to 20. I think the feedback is all that could be given as about now as other stuff tend to be bugs or in different threads that's subjective to them rather than a whole. I just think people want a good ME and comparing it to the likes of 15-17 is where the bench mark is (IMO). 

I went to an actual game today, which featured a red card, a missed penalty, an injury time winner, a one on one that hit the post, a missed open goal, several long shots, zero creativity in midfield, lots of wide play with full backs very prominent, defenders passing the ball to the opposition when under no pressure, goalkeepers kicking straight into touch for no reason, 33 shots in total, 16 corners, lots of misplaced passes and one team packing the box with half a dozen players. 

FM20 doing a decent job of simulating League one football.

Really enjoying the Beta, the ME is great fun to play.  

Edited by Cegidog

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm still not getting relationship lines between players, had 20 games since the latest update where people were reporting it had been sorted and still not seen anything

Me neither. I'm almost at the end of the season, and I've never seen a single line between players, good or bad. 

21 minutes ago, BigV said:

I just think people want a good ME and comparing it to the likes of 15-17 is where the bench mark is (IMO). 

Yeah, but you're comparing finished versions that went through several updates to get there to a game which is still in 'beta' and hasn't actually been released yet. 

These are two screenshots from the last Champions League final, they are a good example of how teams tend to ideally defend really narrow:

1.jpg

6.jpg

Thiese are two screenshot from Napoli when Sarri was the coach and are the best example for the pressing when the ball is "covered" (first image) and "not covered" (second image), I think this is one of the most important aspects of football nowadays and it would be great to have control on the way pressing is done in different situations:

Schermata-2018-02-08-alle-16.30.52.png

Schermata-2018-02-08-alle-16.31.43.png

13 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Yeah, but you're comparing finished versions that went through several updates to get there to a game which is still in 'beta' and hasn't actually been released yet. 

'tis true, I've been reading the FM15 beta feedback thread & the moaning going on in there :lol:

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm still not getting relationship lines between players, had 20 games since the latest update where people were reporting it had been sorted and still not seen anything

Just into September in the first season and the first 2 relationship lines have appeared.  This is also with a squad that I rotate pretty hard so players playing together is not all that regular.

14 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Just into September in the first season and the first 2 relationship lines have appeared.  This is also with a squad that I rotate pretty hard so players playing together is not all that regular.

Is it worth me reporting it?

Im still on my day 1 save if that would affect things? I've just counted it and it must be around 20 games my two CBs have played together since the last update yet nothing. They've played around 50 games together in total.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, FrazT said:

@RandomGuyIt could be the older save, but in truth, I don't how how the code is written to decide if it is a bug or not  Maybe watch and decide a bit later after the launch frenzy has died down?

You wont believe this, but I've gone to start the next match and a relationship line has popped up between my midfielders :lol:

One other thing I noticed in FM20: a really good teams finally feel like really good teams. In previous games you could always hope for an upset even if you had had way worse players, in this game you finally can feel the difference in quality between good and REALLY good side. 

2 hours ago, Defensive said:

Is scoring some own goal now a bug? 

I don't know what you are talking about? The first game is completely normal and in the second ManU left too much space in the first half and Arsenal missed 4 or 5 very good chances. Not 20 or 25. Second half ManU recovered. And now? I've seen games like that like a million times in football, what's wrong with that? 

Not a bug. It's the laughable way the OG was scored that makes me laugh at the ME. It was essentially 4 or 5 Liverpool players trying to tackle each other and the ball ricocheting off him and in. I've seen this happen loads on the new update. It looks rediculous. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is it worth me reporting it?

Im still on my day 1 save if that would affect things? I've just counted it and it must be around 20 games my two CBs have played together since the last update yet nothing. They've played around 50 games together in total.

I didn't get a single relationship forming with my squad in  3 seasons pre-big-update. Since the  big update most of my team have formed relationships by the end of October. So maybe give it another month or so. 

Edited by kiwityke1983

4 hours ago, Obaaa said:

Just watched it out of interest and yeah it's laughably bad. Doesn't matter if it's a Youtuber streaming one game or anyone else seeing it happen in 100 games, it's still unrealistic.

I didn't think the defending was poor, the tactic was being ripped apart due to having no midfield cover and a high line against Arsenal's pace up front, which he should have been punished for, but seeing as clear cut chances have about as much chance of being goals as goalkicks on this game he barely even registered this fact, which is what is unrealistic and immersion killing for me. 

It's not unusual to see 5 or 6 clear cut chances missed in one game regularly in FM20 since the update. 

Sorry to go off topic, but has anyone else experienced a lot of game freezes/crashes during games after 20.10 patch? The ME after the update looks good, but the game is awfully unstable for me. This year's FM edition in terms of game optimization and technical issues is a total disappointment to me! If the game is this unstable after the release I'm tempted to consider a refund even though I love all the new editions and constant ME improvements. 

4 minutes ago, nikolaMo said:

Sorry to go off topic, but has anyone else experienced a lot of game freezes/crashes during games after 20.10 patch? The ME after the update looks good, but the game is awfully unstable for me. This year's FM edition in terms of game optimization and technical issues is a total disappointment to me! If the game is this unstable after the release I'm tempted to consider a refund even though I love all the new editions and constant ME improvements. 

Raise this in the Bugs forum for help with this

8 saat önce, FrazT said:

It’s my 2nd season and the two midfielders have played at least 50 matches together. Still no lines between them.

So after the new patch the game is lagging quite a bit, especially in game when setting opposition instructions etc. 

also whenever we make a tactical change or a shout or something suddenly the volume gets cut out for a split second before starting again. 

None of this was happening earlier. Is anyone else experiencing it? Anything can be done? 

Not a game breaker obviously but just a bit annoying 

28 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

So after the new patch the game is lagging quite a bit, especially in game when setting opposition instructions etc. 

also whenever we make a tactical change or a shout or something suddenly the volume gets cut out for a split second before starting again. 

None of this was happening earlier. Is anyone else experiencing it? Anything can be done? 

I don't experience lagging but i have that annoying sound issue too, it has been reported: 

30 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Me and a lot of people have  this issue..

8 hours ago, Iwabik said:

One other thing I noticed in FM20: a really good teams finally feel like really good teams. In previous games you could always hope for an upset even if you had had way worse players, in this game you finally can feel the difference in quality between good and REALLY good side. 

Aye. I'm playing in Scotland and Celtic are just a complete monster. In my first two seasons I think theyve lost a total of 6 domestic games, mostly in the cups which I guess they probably dont care too much about. Finished last on 100pts and a ridiculous goal difference.

I've not checked their full season results, but in October of season two I checked, and my 2-0 loss to them, where i didnt even get a shot on target, was the best any team had managed. After that there had been a couple of 4-0s, a 5-0, and a 6-0. Their wage bill is around 36 times bigger than mine...

I have just reported this in the Bugs Forum but curious if anyone else has encountered it?

I am playing as FC United.  The games is in season four.  I am promoted to League Two and the board want to expand the stadium (league minimum is 5,000 capacity and the club's is only 4,400).

The work is completed and my capacity after completion is only 3,096 with 2,000 seats.  So not only has the capacity gone down, but the ground does not fit with league rules.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb kiwityke1983:

Not a bug. It's the laughable way the OG was scored that makes me laugh at the ME. It was essentially 4 or 5 Liverpool players trying to tackle each other and the ball ricocheting off him and in. I've seen this happen loads on the new update. It looks rediculous. 

Again, very realistic for me. Weird own goals happen all the time in real life. I dont want to see Roboter Manager 2020.

After nearly a full season on comprehensive highlights I can say that this latest version is a vastly better ME than FM19. It fixes 3 of the biggest issues from FM19;

• Realistic number of crosses per game (down from around 100 in FM19)
  • AI on defensive mentalities can't just keep possession forever anymore
  • The best teams are actually dominant and present a real challenge (Man City and Liverpool are both heading for over 95 points)

The biggest gripes for me are the number of offsides and penalties and wingers shooting in the side netting or post from the byline. But these are minor things that can be fixed, the core of the game is much improved.

29 minutes ago, Defensive said:

Again, very realistic for me. Weird own goals happen all the time in real life. I dont want to see Roboter Manager 2020.

Weird stuff happens true enough.

6 of the same team gang tackling each other then blasting the ball into the face of their own player does not however. Which is what essentially happened for that OG. 

Especially at a top 6 EPL side. 

Playing first time since the update.

Good points:

- no more endless switching of play

- long shots from midfield reduced a lot

- not as many shots from stupid angles, still too many braindead players though

Bad points:

- If anything you seem to miss more one on ones now. Aubameyang has had 16 so far and 12 have been saved, 4 missed completely. Keepers seem overpowered in that regard

- as ever, the ai team seem to need half or less good chances to score, no matter who they are. Player attributes seem irrelevant sometimes.

- I'm finding away form hard to come by. It seems you are not allowed to play attacking football away from home. I'm just using someone else's plug and play formation, where they went a season unbeaten...

- 'he did so well until the finish' and other commentary like this. If your players beats 5 players and has an open goal he will miss, guaranteed.

Edited by hazzabish