Training & Youth Intake - A Brief Guide **Updated for FM20**

@Seb Wassell i have a new question; We know (because of this great topic ) what will influence the youth intake quality. For improving the personalities, does it help to have staff (senior and or youth staff) with good personalties? Or is the personalty of the hoyd the only important one? I always try to find staff with good personalties but not sure if this works all the time.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, OlivierL said:

For improving the personalities, does it help to have staff (senior and or youth staff) with good personalties?

According to this, staff does not influence players. Their Personalities might matter in the sense that positive ones have better Determination, which directly impacts the quality of their coaching (Determination, Level of Discipline, Motivating), but their Personalities apparently can't rub off in the same way player Personalities can.

6 hours ago, Zemahh said:

According to this, staff does not influence players. Their Personalities might matter in the sense that positive ones have better Determination, which directly impacts the quality of their coaching (Determination, Level of Discipline, Motivating), but their Personalities apparently can't rub off in the same way player Personalities can.

Thanks but if i read this correctly :

As far as I'm aware, staff personality doesn't influence player personality once a player is actually at the club - only during newgen "creation".

That means it will influence future youth intakes.

• SI Staff
On 27/11/2020 at 22:15, OlivierL said:

@Seb Wassell i have a new question; We know (because of this great topic ) what will influence the youth intake quality. For improving the personalities, does it help to have staff (senior and or youth staff) with good personalties? Or is the personalty of the hoyd the only important one? I always try to find staff with good personalties but not sure if this works all the time.

You want all youth related staff to have 'preferable' personalities, but the HoYD is the key.

• 2 months later...

@Seb Wassell a small question. If u change your hoyd , will the one we 'sack' still have some influence on the next intakes ? I mean are they influencing youth players from 10/11/12/13 or if the influence of the new one 100% more important ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a quick question. Playing in Gibraltar , in the second season i'm upgrading my youth facilities but after the end of the first season , i saw that the U19 squad is visible.

I can hire staff, but i can't control the training or select a tactic. Is this because the youth facilities are still upgrading? 

6ea7f52f7d81b688d20a058de4506390.png

fe391bad4a2886f469fa78ea3690184f.png
i can't put myself as responsible for any training parts.. to get them into my icon bar.

69e8ec444d01701ff7793e7cab8553fd.png

530d538309524f31f2289c7091123a29.png

2ba177495a852859e51b54293562bf01.png

A bug or will it be ok after the improvement of the YT fac ?

• 1 month later...

Since this guide is awesome and it's also about youth training. How do I prevent other clubs  stealing youth from me? Once a year I got a message a certain club has picked up one of my youthplayers. Just lost a guy that had 5 grey stars..

Found my answer <3 Awww, man. Makes me sad

Edited by RinusFM

• 3 months later...
On 03/05/2021 at 16:47, OlivierL said:

Just a quick question. Playing in Gibraltar , in the second season i'm upgrading my youth facilities but after the end of the first season , i saw that the U19 squad is visible.

I can hire staff, but i can't control the training or select a tactic. Is this because the youth facilities are still upgrading? 

6ea7f52f7d81b688d20a058de4506390.png

fe391bad4a2886f469fa78ea3690184f.png
i can't put myself as responsible for any training parts.. to get them into my icon bar.

69e8ec444d01701ff7793e7cab8553fd.png

530d538309524f31f2289c7091123a29.png

2ba177495a852859e51b54293562bf01.png

A bug or will it be ok after the improvement of the YT fac ?

Have you tried taking over general training?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been asked before, but to Mods/SI staff/Experts out there..... I could do with explanation/confirmation on the position/role/duty option in Training and how you can potentially use it. I've always left it as it is, or on the role they were playing, but want to try something different.

So as an example starting a Sunderland save, I admittedly want to be very extreme and focus pretty much solely on possession and my team being comfortable on the ball. Passing, some movement, and the mental attributes to go with it.

Hume1.png.ce5f541f4d956fa38a0b4c7a95aa069b.png

(quick side note: Yes he is deliberately in the Attacking unit, I go by the '5 attack, 5 defend' principle, and his position at LB is one of the designated primary attack options)

So this is my Left Back, Hume as an example. Can play as either a LB or LWB. I envisage him playing as an attacking Left Back in my tactic. Now for a League One player I'd say his physicals are perfectly acceptable, however his Mental and Technical, even for a young player, need work and to fit my possession (ultra) focus. Which brings me on to my question......

What is the effect if I did this:

Hume2.png.cb86224c674ca13fd5b96efdb33d5585.png

As can be seen, I have changed his Position/Role/Duty to a Wide Playmaker. Why? Because look at what attributes will be getting trained, a narrow focus (compared to eg. if I put him on a complete wingback which would target every attribute going) targeting on Technical and Mental ones I want for possession-focused play and to aid an attacking left back. So any training sessions that focus on individual role I know will be working on these attributes. I also have additional focus up my sleeve to further target specifics.

But.... he has no familiarity with the Left Midfield positional slot, he isn't going to play there to pick it up, so I ask:

- Training wise, will this have any effect in terms of attribute development? Or is doing this (putting a player on an alien role they won't play) a complete waste.

- If it will help shape/mould the player more to what I want and hold important, I presume tactical familiarity will be a lot slower for their actual playing position/role? (this I can live with).

I think that covers it and hopefully you get the gist of what I'm asking. Would appreciate clarification.

7 hours ago, mp_87 said:

- Training wise, will this have any effect in terms of attribute development? Or is doing this (putting a player on an alien role they won't play) a complete waste.

- If it will help shape/mould the player more to what I want and hold important, I presume tactical familiarity will be a lot slower for their actual playing position/role? (this I can live with).

It will absolutely have an effect in terms of attribute development.  When you are selecting role training you aren’t actually asking him to train for that role - you are asking him to train a certain selection of attributes.  Other attributes will of course still develop however they’ll be the main focus.  Selecting a “role” to train is nothing more than a quick method of selecting certain attributes to train.

I’d also suggest don’t ignore the “Additional Focus”.  Select that to give him a boost in specific areas, especially If the role you select doesn’t cover those specific areas.

In terms of tactical familiarity you’ll still be playing him as a left back and that’s what the game will base it on, so no issues there either.

Cheers for the reply @herne79, that's good to know it wouldn't be a wasted effort. And yes I will also be using additional focus also to further shape them.

Now to whack the whole squad on playmaker roles :lol: