Looking for help to win this match

I don't know whether this kind of question is allowed here, I have a problem regarding this perticular match, it is FM16 and I play inter against ManU in CL and I'm looking for tips to help me win this match because although I've tried some different tactics, ManU always managed to score and the 2nd score always followed in 5 mins...

pictures is my starting 11 for this match, and ManU's start 11 and my TI

Squad introduction:

I have Ajer on bench who is a good player maker in my save, but he lacks athleticism. I also have Mandzukic who can act as TM. In this save, Lemar is my key player maker that he plays quite well no matter in wide position or AMC or MC, and Kante is the all-around key player in the middle field.

For ManU, Depay is really an explosive beast that he can break my defence with pace in the wide and win cross to goal and cut inside as well. And Martial is a top complete forward in this save.

My plan is to explore the space in ManU's DM position because there is no one, so a SS and Lemar in the right wing as WPa.

Next attempt was to switch position between Lemar and Embolo, role changed to APs and Wa, and WB changed to FBs.

Then the next attemp was Lemar remained as APs in AMC, both MR and ML changed to WM, with the instruction to cut inside, as I want to explore DM space of ManU.

I have also tried to put Neves to DM as DLPd and Lemar to MC as APa to support my defence.

But none of these attemps worked, they all ended with early concede and followed another goal in 5 mins, and low possession.

I know it seems that I am against a stronger squad, but I still cannot understand why was my plan failed so completely, especially ManU scored 2 goals in a short time every time I tried.

Can anyone provide some advice on winning this game? Thanks.

10.PNG

11.PNG

12.PNG

Edited by alexnoname

What's stopping you from exploiting the middle?  I'd wager it's Morgan Schniederlin and Daley Blind. So the first thing to think about is getting them out of the picture, or at least out of the space that you want to use. Your two CMs and AM outnumber them in the middle so that seems like a good place to start. What you need is two of your midfield occupying two of theirs, then use an extra man  from somewhere to exploit the space that they leave behind. 

Any supporting AM, will drop into the midfield and form a 3.

SS and AMa will behave much like a striker- and attempt to break through the last line of defence.

Enganche, APa, Trequartista will stay in the hole as much as possible.

Disclaimer: Man Utd's 442 is a nightmare, in pretty much every version of FM.

Edited by Guerin

Depending on traits for your fullbacks, you might be leaving a 2v2 on defense as they play two strikers.

Try a CM-De coupled with a DLP-Su. Also, exploiting the middle is not something you need to use as you will probably already do that. I'd use a standard defensive line, not a deep one. Great dribblers like Depay will cut inside and it's going to be a mess. 

You have to find a way to limit the space he has to run onto. Push your d-line a little bit higher, put the CM-De on Depay's side and maybe that will help a bit. 

6 minutes ago, lferreira said:

Depending on traits for your fullbacks, you might be leaving a 2v2 on defense as they play two strikers.

Try a CM-De coupled with a DLP-Su. Also, exploiting the middle is not something you need to use as you will probably already do that. I'd use a standard defensive line, not a deep one. Great dribblers like Depay will cut inside and it's going to be a mess. 

You have to find a way to limit the space he has to run onto. Push your d-line a little bit higher, put the CM-De on Depay's side and maybe that will help a bit. 

Sorry that I missed a part, which I've just edited in my post above. That I've tried another attemp to put Neves to DM as DLPd and Lemar to MC as APa, trying to support my defence, but failed again.

The reason I put my defence line lower is because I was concerned about the pace of Depay and Martial. But of course I can try another one with higher line, thank you.

39 minutes ago, alexnoname said:

Sorry that I missed a part, which I've just edited in my post above. That I've tried another attemp to put Neves to DM as DLPd and Lemar to MC as APa, trying to support my defence, but failed again.

The reason I put my defence line lower is because I was concerned about the pace of Depay and Martial. But of course I can try another one with higher line, thank you.

Just standard, doesn't need to be higher. If you sit too deep you invite pressure and they have very good dribblers. Your defence will be moved out of position or you won't see enough of the ball, as you're not closing down.

Basically, you're in for an infinite loop of crosses, long shots and stress.

19 hours ago, lferreira said:

Just standard, doesn't need to be higher. If you sit too deep you invite pressure and they have very good dribblers. Your defence will be moved out of position or you won't see enough of the ball, as you're not closing down.

Basically, you're in for an infinite loop of crosses, long shots and stress.

well, I've tried a few more times, but standard or a bit higher defence line didn't help.

I also tried no AMC but 3 CM, APa, CMd, and CMs, I set APa to roam, but it didn't help with the neither the result nor possession...

Is this match really impossible to even draw... ; (

Well. I'd say there's two more ways you can try. Either get your AM to stay in the hole and use a a flat midfield two behind him (holding position ideally) with a poacher in front. and a more controlling possession mentality. Or you can use a Defending CM with a BBM and a dropping deeper AM and DLFa in front. For the first I'd try two supporting inside fwds. For the the second a supporting inside fwd and a supporting winger- maybe with a defensive metality overall.

Thankyou Guerin and Iferreira, before I saw your comments, I tried to start Biabiany (very explosive winger but nothing more than that) in MR as Wa, and this worked. I think my middle fielders are just not good enough comparing with ManU, but the wide players can make some difference.

Anyway, thank you guys.