No one's interested in my players

TOMetz

First off: my apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum, but from reading the descriptions, I think this might be correct. I also didn't find a thread in search that fulfilled my question.

I seem to have a recurring issue when playing with KRC Genk, one of the top teams of the Belgian league. A few years down the line, I usually manage to largely dominate the league and get some success in Europe. For instance, I won the Europa League in 20/21 which is a giant feat for any Belgian team. Two seasons later, my team was dubbed as the revelation of the Champions league and made the quarter finals twice.

In the domestic league, we won the title four out of five seasons and had three consecutive cup wins. We deliver 75% of the team of the year each year. Player ratings for my entire squad are all higher than 7. Some even get an average of 7,90 at the end of the season, winning individual trophies (golden boot, best player, European Golden Boy, ...) to top it all off. 

So it's fair to say we are successful. 

Yet, there is barely any interest in my players. I should be happy about this since it's easy to keep my dream team together. But it limits a 'natural flow' within the club since I have the best youth academy in the league and thus manage to produce a load of exceptionally talented regens. Combine this with the club's 'buy young/low sell high' policy IRL that I aim to respect in the game, you can imagine that the waiting room for talent is stacked since no one is buying or even showing any interest in my star players.

This means that I have to transfer list them even if I don't want to sell them, but I'm willing to negotiate with anyone if they offer a good price. If I transfer list them, teams will come but will always bid non negotiable bids containing a low bid, extra money after 50 (!) league games and a clause that forces me to still pay a part of their salary. On top of that, the stars are all team leaders or highly influential players and will cause a stir in my team if I TL them. It's not like they're too expensive for the top teams (my top players get a value of around 20 million euro) of that their contracts are too expensive (my highest paid player earns 120k per month).

It just doesn't feel organic.

Compared to my saves in La Liga, for example, I get a lot of interest and tempting bids for my star players.

Is it the competition? Is it the team? Does it have something to do with reputation? Is it a bug? I have no idea. Does anyone else have the same issue?

I will throw some ideas out there (not sure if any will help, but this is what comes to mind). I am currently managing Dinamo Zagreb, and I am in a constant battle to keep my team together due to interest from other clubs.

The obvious first question to ask is which leagues and how big a database did you load? Both these things can influence the transfer market (and it is something that isn't made terribly clear). If you do not have many leagues loaded besides Belgium, you would likely see reduced interest in the players as teams are less active if in view only leagues. If you have loaded some leagues but added a bunch of extra players then it can be hard to move players on because there are often better options.

What sort of wages and contract lengths do you have? How good are these players relative to bigger teams who could afford them? That teams want you to pay part of the wages could suggest they are on high wages relative to their ability. So bigger clubs who can afford them may be able to find better options for a similar wage, and small teams who could use them cannot afford their wages.  Longer contracts make players more expensive as well, which can affect this. You could even do a quick test to see  if wages are the issue. Save your game, add a manager to some big club, make a bid and see what sort of contract you have to offer. You can then reload, and this is diagnostic so I would not count it as cheating, just helping to understand what is happening.

My guess would be the wages thing.

2 hours ago, Baodan said:

No matter the number of leagues and players, it's what would happen in real life. 

Indeed that is true. However FM is a calculation engine, and it can only work with the inputs it is given. Which means too many players or too few active teams can mess up the transfer calculations. It is personally not something I experience, like I said I am constantly fighting to keep my Dinamo Zagreb side together at the moment. At the same time, I know I have balanced by database so I do not experience issues there, and I know my wages are low enough that almost any team in the top flight of the big European nations (and the championship) can afford my players. Which is why I asked the OP about this and suggested it as a cause. I definitely do not suggest it is normal, I try to offer a reason why it is observed.

Most of the people who are active on this forum probably knows some of the reasons leading to the OP's problems.

But what about all the people who buy FM and play it casually and don't read the forums religiously like you and me? FM claims to be "simulation gaming perfected" and adds that; "Complete control of this stunningly realistic game world is yours...". Is it then not fair to assume a certain level of realism when you buy the game and load up the league you want to play in? Is the OP's situation realistic, disregarding what we know may be at fault?

FM does not offer any advise on how to balance the number of players with active leagues. This is just one instance of SI making things intentionally vague by design.  

2 hours ago, Baodan said:

FM does not offer any advise on how to balance the number of players with active leagues. This is just one instance of SI making things intentionally vague by design.  

I completely agree with you, I was not aware I had said anything to suggest otherwise. I think FM should help more when setting up a game. Since it does not, I was simply offering advice.

17 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I completely agree with you, I was not aware I had said anything to suggest otherwise. I think FM should help more when setting up a game. Since it does not, I was simply offering advice.

Be good if they added a feature where a warning pops up when you've selected an unbalanced game world and/or a 'suggested balance' feature. Both would really help new/casual players. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to implement, given you can already see the impact on the amount of players loaded.