4141 defensive issues, need help

So I'm playing as Southampton and I like the 4141 formation, keeping Romeu back as the DM, feeding up to Hojbjerg and Lemina in the middle, with Redmond and Ward-Prowse further up on the wings, and Ings as the striker. 

I started out with the gegenpress and while we can score fairly well I've found we have a swiss cheese defense, giving up tons of goals, often as the opponent runs past our defenders, who are late getting back.  I believe the idea of gegenpress is to immediately challenge to regain possession of the ball, but maybe choose "regroup" instead, so the boys can get back in time?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'd like to maintain my formation but I'm willing to try a more defensive tactic if anyone has some suggestions.

29 minutes ago, casperthegm said:

I started out with the gegenpress and while we can score fairly well I've found we have a swiss cheese defense, giving up tons of goals, often as the opponent runs past our defenders, who are late getting back

Well, you answered your own question. Southampton is simply not good enough as a team to play such a demanding style as gegenpress (I managed them, so I know their strengths and weaknesses very well). 

31 minutes ago, casperthegm said:

I believe the idea of gegenpress is to immediately challenge to regain possession of the ball, but maybe choose "regroup" instead, so the boys can get back in time?

Wait a minute. Are you talking about gegenpress (playing style) or counter-press (team instruction in defensive transition)? These are two different things.

32 minutes ago, casperthegm said:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'd like to maintain my formation but I'm willing to try a more defensive tactic if anyone has some suggestions.

Can you post a screenshot of your tactic? Otherwise it will be impossible to tell you what you need to change (tweak). Defending is not only about defensive instructions, but the tactic as a whole needs to be sensible and well-balanced.

Yeah, I'm thinking something like Tiki Taka, where I can limit opponent touches, might be better for Southhampton.  I tried that a bit on an earlier attempt but still have defensive issues, although not as pronounced as I'm experiencing with gegenpress.

I've selected gegenpress.  I'm sure I need to tweak the specific instructions for in possession, in transition and for out of possession. *Though I may be switching to an entirely different system (like Tiki Taka) based on the concerns raised about Southhampton's ability to pull off the gegenpress.

I'll have to do the screen shot later this evening, after work.  Bottom line for me is, I'd prefer to keep my 4141 formation but would like to go with a tactic that is much more defense-oriented.  

I tend to avoid preset tactics, so really cannot tell you which one would be optimal for Southampton as a starting point (for tweaking), but the Gegenpress certainly is not a good choice for such a team. 

1 hour ago, casperthegm said:

Bottom line for me is, I'd prefer to keep my 4141 formation but would like to go with a tactic that is much more defense-oriented

You mean flat 4141 or 4123 (a.k.a. 4141dm wide)? Anyway, both systems can work for the Saints. 

1 hour ago, casperthegm said:

I'll have to do the screen shot later this evening, after work

Good :thup:

15 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I tend to avoid preset tactics, so really cannot tell you which one would be optimal for Southampton as a starting point (for tweaking), but the Gegenpress certainly is not a good choice for such a team. 

I think that depends, a bit glib just to say its not a good choice.