building team around one player

Hi all,

im in my 3rd season as Stoke, in the premiership.

I have a player Dani Olmo, id like to build the team around him and get the best out of him.

FM says his best role is AMC, as a Shadow striker although i see him more as a creator rather than a goalscorer?

dani olmo.jpg

Strong balance, agility, composure, dribbling, vision and likes tk play out of trouble. I'd have him on the hole but would leave him on support duty since he likes to get forward more. I'd also give him plenty of space in the AMC area by deploying a striker that pins the defenders back and at least one winger stretching wide. A holding midfielder behind along with a CM-S or B2B to link up but not congest too much. 

Edited by afailed10

1 hour ago, lim said:

FM says his best role is AMC, as a Shadow striker

Here I agree with FM - I also see him primarily as a SS (which does not mean that he can't play other roles). 

1 hour ago, lim said:

although i see him more as a creator rather than a goalscorer?

Well, SS is a bit of both creator and scorer. So playing him as a SS will not diminish his creative potential. Even better, he can then serve as a quasi-PM ;)

On 01/09/2019 at 13:25, Experienced Defender said:

Here I agree with FM - I also see him primarily as a SS (which does not mean that he can't play other roles). 

Well, SS is a bit of both creator and scorer. So playing him as a SS will not diminish his creative potential. Even better, he can then serve as a quasi-PM ;)

So how typically would you setup the team? 

I want to play fast expansive football. I am not a top premiership team though so please bare this in mind. 

28 minutes ago, lim said:

So how typically would you setup the team? 

I want to play fast expansive football. I am not a top premiership team though so please bare this in mind

I would have to know a lot more about your team as a whole, not just one player, in order to tell you how I would set it up. 

His trait of gets forward will make him try attacking runs more often even if not told to through instructions so I'd consider that when planning your players movements.

Fast transitions will suit him, with a good support forward to combine with they could be very effective on counter.

Probably dont have a better creator in your squad but a quick flair winger/if could create space for him. dont want to crowd him so other central midfielders wouldn't be "runners", for me they just need to cover and link.

• 2 years later...
On 03/09/2019 at 12:58, summatsupeer said:

His trait of gets forward will make him try attacking runs more often even if not told to through instructions so I'd consider that when planning your players movements.

Fast transitions will suit him, with a good support forward to combine with they could be very effective on counter.

Probably dont have a better creator in your squad but a quick flair winger/if could create space for him. dont want to crowd him so other central midfielders wouldn't be "runners", for me they just need to cover and link.

Why would faster transitions suit him more? Because of his speed, agility & balance? My team is more dominant & so I play a 4231 with my front 5 pressing high & looking to quickly counter when they win the ball. This would suit a player like him right? Thanks!