Wide Advanced playmaker and nearby CM role

Hi All,

I am playing with some different formations and was wondering about the AP role on the Wide AM position in 4-2-3-1 & 4-1-2-2-1 (4-1-4-1) formations and what the surrounding roles should be.

i.e. The nearest CM should be certain roles? 

I think the AP should create a good overload on one side allowing some attacking on the right. 

So... in a 4-2-3-1 what should the closest CM and the central AM roles be?

86876287_WideAP4-2-3-1.thumb.png.e5979bcc0d0b8ae8538cd8b445fe0ffb.png

And... in a 4-1-4-1... the nearby CM?

1915103203_WideAP4-1-4-1.thumb.png.2c73cbd702abe5558ee116c794a6ebb1.png

Well if he is the creative player in that area I'd want either cover or runner so not removing options for the creator by having multiple creative roles next to each other.

In the 4141 DM Wide I'd have the mez on the side of the AP so they swap positions with there movement.

4231 the CM-De make sense but I'd not use MEZ unless really in control of games against very defensive sides. A DLP-Su, BWM-Su, CAR-Su or CM-Su I think gives a better base for most matches. I'd rather look for more movement from the 4 attackers. With the wide forward coming inside and deep with the CM-D I don't think the AM-Su offers much. I'd rather he be an attack duty but am not sure which role and how it would combine with the ST if on attack duty.  If playing a fast style it could work, but if you want more possession style will need more variety in movement so probably a support duty forward plus maybe a role change.

3 hours ago, djpdavey said:

I think the AP should create a good overload on one side allowing some attacking on the right. 

So... in a 4-2-3-1 what should the closest CM and the central AM roles be?

86876287_WideAP4-2-3-1.thumb.png.e5979bcc0d0b8ae8538cd8b445fe0ffb.png

First off, playing a mezzala on attack duty in a 4231 can be suicidal defense-wise, and might only make sense when you are desperately chasing a goal toward the end of a match. 

But to cut a long story short... as I prefer to help through examples, here is one pertaining to a 4231 with an AP on a flank:

F9/DLFsu

APsu             SS              Wat

CMde    MEZsu

FBat     CD     CD     IWBde/su

There are of course other options (with the MEZ on the same side as the AP, without a SS, with a poacher or PF on attack etc.), but each of them would require tweaking some of the other roles/duties. 

4 hours ago, djpdavey said:

And... in a 4-1-4-1... the nearby CM?

1915103203_WideAP4-1-4-1.thumb.png.2c73cbd702abe5558ee116c794a6ebb1.png

Here a mezzala on attack is (much) safer than in a 4231, as the system is more balanced and - very important - employs a DM. However, I would prefer the mezzala to be on the same side as the AP, as the two roles can create some nice interplay and btw help with creating overloads. And then again - other roles need to be set up properly (as always). So here is an example:

DLFsu

APsu                                  IFat

MEZat        CAR

A/HB

FBsu     CD      CD      WBsu/FBat

Archived