4-2-3-1 2DM

I have had some success with the normal 4-2-3-1 but I wanted to play around with the 2DM variation and was wondering about other variations I could try and also wondering about my below starting example and if it was more suited to a patient approach or if it could also be applied to a counter attacking as well.

I am thinking that this set of roles might be more suited to patient approach due to the deep runners of the IWB and the VOL but wanted to know if this can also be applied to a counter attacking approach? Also do think the wide AM's roles are correct? Looks like the only way to get width is using wingers because of the double IWB.

Other variations welcome please.

729253848_4-2-3-12DMIWB.thumb.png.3bbe7652253297fd04e4a6957e469fc8.png

Another variation I was playing with:

172608507_4-2-3-12DMoverload.thumb.png.a8d1c027e2b7091778ede717186dea37.png

Wingers are a good role for counter attacking football, AP on the wing is more for possession oriented play. I would change the striker role to something like poacher or advanced forward, maybe even PFatt if I would looking to caounter. Maybe change Anchorman to DLP or something so he can play direct balls.

I played the same formation with to DMs. I just want to say when you have a DM on the side of your IWB he will act more like regular WB. So in this case both your IWBs will be more like WBs. When you are dominant and looking to break defensive side you can move volante to MC strata, make him Mezzala or something and then turn your FB or WB to a IWBsu to give you numbers but otherwise IWB don't make sense in that formation.

I'm not sure exactly what will happen as you have two DMs so IWB should behave like standard WBs.

I dont think a two winger system suits a "patient" style, since your asking player to collect/run onto the ball, then run with it and put a cross in which ideally is whilst opponents are still dropping towards there own goal.  Do this to slowly and they'll just drop into there box and be organized plus likely outnumber you in the box.

Due to the DM vs IWB issue maybe the W-Su could be a IF-Su to come inside to look for the AMR and let the DL overlap?  Kind of how have the AP but depends if quicker attack or more patient (AP fits better).  If keeping W-Su I'd probably put the VOL on that side so they can combine earlier than he could with the W-AT and just have the DL be defend duty (WB-De?).  With A-De in DMCR and W-At in AMR the DR coming inside makes sense but since IWB doesnt really work maybe a CWB-Su?

Archived