New Save with Celta Vigo!

Figured I was done with playing United for a while and wanted to give my #2 side a run in FM19.  Also because I figured they might be better built to play the 5-2-3 Wide WB that I'd like to give a go.

The idea is it's a 3-4-3 in the way that it plays, but it's structured with 3 CB, 2 WB, 2CM, 2AML/R and 1ST.  

CWB(S) function as the Left and Right Midfielders as well as put in crosses and defend. 

The AMR/L are the extra forwards, both playing as IF(A or S?) with a DLF(S) or TM(S) in the striker position.

Center Mids are a  DLP(D) and a... CM(S) or BBM(S).

Center Defenders are two BPD(D) and the central one is a CD(C).

Keeper is a SK(S).

What kind of template suits this kind of play?  I'm thinking Direct Counter.  

vigo1.jpg

Looks ok to me. I'd want a bit more variation in attack though. Personally I would make Aspas on attack to take advantage of his finishing and then make Junca a WB (a). I'm always a fan of having one side with the wing back on attack and an IF (s) and then switching it for the other side, especially as you have Beltran on defensive duty to cover the wing back. Tends to make your attack more dynamic. 

You may want to have a different approach at home, as Celta are a decent team and I suspect the lower sides will sit off you.

I was mostly focusing on formation/structure/roles rather than taking a deep-dive on the "how we play" aspect - I didn't take a screen shot after I modified that bit.

I'm thinking the CM(S) is going to be crucial to our play as they're going to have to get forward and back for defense - hence wondering if I want a BBM instead with a CM(D) or DLP(D).

I just want to make sure at this juncture that roles and positioning looks doable.

57 minutes ago, yellowforever said:

Looks ok to me. I'd want a bit more variation in attack though. Personally I would make Aspas on attack to take advantage of his finishing and then make Junca a WB (a). I'm always a fan of having one side with the wing back on attack and an IF (s) and then switching it for the other side, especially as you have Beltran on defensive duty to cover the wing back. Tends to make your attack more dynamic. 

You may want to have a different approach at home, as Celta are a decent team and I suspect the lower sides will sit off you.

I was thinking of having the defensive direct-counter for away and vs bigger teams and then a positive fluid-counter attack for home and games we should win.

6 hours ago, CybrSlydr said:

vigo1.jpg

6 hours ago, CybrSlydr said:

What kind of template suits this kind of play?  I'm thinking Direct Counter

I personally don't use templates, but if you want to play counter-attacking football (especially of a more direct type), you need some attack duties up front (more precisely - the striker and one wide forward). Also, you don't have to play on a low mentality (Cautious in this case) in order to play a counter-attacking style. 

Another problem with your setup of roles and duties is something that so many people are doing all the time - it's extremely one-dimensional. There is absolutely no difference between your flanks.

Defensively, the combination of lower DL and lower LOE will invite too much pressure from the opposition - especially when playing on a low mentality - so you will hardly be able to withstand such amount of pressure for the 90+ minutes. The opposition - especially good teams - will eventually break you down (if not via good/clear-cut chances, then shots from distance, some unfortunate deflection and/or a set piece).

Taking all this into account, here is an example of a decent counter-attacking tactic employing your 523 system:

PFat/DLFat

IFsu                                            Wat/IFat

CMde/CAR     DLPsu

CWBsu/WBat                              WBsu

CDde     CDst     BPDde

SKsu/de

Bolded are potential changes in roles/duties in comparison with your setup.

In terms of mentality, I would start with Balanced for most games (and Cautious against much stronger opposition).

What about team instructions?

- higher tempo, standard or slightly more direct passing (optional/occasional TI - hit early crosses)

- counter (optional/occasional TI - regroup)

- standard D-line, lower or standard LOE, standard (default) pressing urgency (optional TIs - get stuck in, use tighter marking)

NOTE: I don't claim that you should use this exact tactic and/or setup of roles and duties. After all, I don't know your team and therefore cannot know if that would suit them. Instead, it's here just to give you some food for thought and help you create your own tactic that will hopefully work for you :thup:

Archived