Extrenal hard drive for FM

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me out. It is possible to download steam with FM on an external hard drive and play it at work or somewhere else like library but on a different computer?

Also, was thinking about getting a Seagate Portable Drive 1 or 2 TB External HDD, would this be sufficient to play?

Thanks

On 15/08/2019 at 16:08, lilsnupe said:

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me out. It is possible to download steam with FM on an external hard drive and play it at work or somewhere else like library but on a different computer?

Also, was thinking about getting a Seagate Portable Drive 1 or 2 TB External HDD, would this be sufficient to play?

Thanks

Installing the Steam games on an external HDD is simple.  Regarding the Steam client itself, according to Steam support:  "It is not recommended that you install Steam to an external hard drive, due to potential performance issues."  I have no idea what "performance issues" you may run into.

The drive capacities you list are far more than you would strictly need for just Steam + FM (only need a few GB) so they should be ok if it works.

The biggest issue that I foresee won't be running it on the external hard drive on the initial PC. (That would work - I've installed it on an SD card before and it worked fine, albeit slowly.) The problem that I foresee would be plugging the hard drive in and attempting to run FM on another PC that it hasn't been properly installed on - it's very likely that there will be things missing that were installed in other locations on the initial PC. For a start, aside from any copy protection issues, there's likely to be registry settings missing, plus potentially things in temporary directories or the ‰appdata directory. Also, the FM content in the My Documents directory would be missing and would have to be recreated. 

It might work perfectly on a second computer, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. 

Archived