Using A Wide Playmaker

Hello everyone

Has anyone utilised a wide playmaker in their tactics, and if so, what overall set up did you use to fit the wide playmaker into?

Would a wide playmaker have similar playing style to that of an inverted winger, just with less tendency to dribble with the ball?

When I look at tactical set ups online, certain roles seem to be used very little, this being one of them and it intrigues me whether they can bring something new to a tactic

Thanks

1 hour ago, FMunderachiever said:

Hello everyone

Has anyone utilised a wide playmaker in their tactics, and if so, what overall set up did you use to fit the wide playmaker into?

Would a wide playmaker have similar playing style to that of an inverted winger, just with less tendency to dribble with the ball?

When I look at tactical set ups online, certain roles seem to be used very little, this being one of them and it intrigues me whether they can bring something new to a tactic

Thanks

Hallo there. I have used with great success on an RB Leipzig save a 442 with one wide-playmaker, after seeing its success I replicated a similar approach in a 4411 tactic I created for Mainz. 

With the right player and wing-back/full-back on his back it's a very effective setup. What I like is that whilst in possession he occupies the #10 spot, he also runs as an IF while the ball is on the other side of the pitch and scores a lot being at the end of crosses from the opposite side.

The fact that he plays as a 10 starting from the wing makes it also more difficult to mark for the opposition, creating more space for others' run.

Am at work right now but will post the screenshot later.

2 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

I'm thinking along the lines of 442/4411, with an attacking full/wing back behind him

Yeah, I would also pair a WP (on support) with an attack-duty FB (or WB on support). An example of a 4411 setup with a WP:

PFat

AMat

Wat      BBM     CMde     WPsu

FBsu        CD       CD        WBsu

To complement my post above, here you have a screenshot of my current tactic. Had great success, on my third season with Mainz, qualified for Champions League the first two seasons and won the domestic cup, starting to challanging the title now that I am getting better players or developping the youngster I had.

e42a25a5c15b6f00864b542e8278ecf6.png

This is last full season of my main player, Matías Vargas, in my Mainz save. BTW, he's phenomenal and first season you can buy him for less than € 5M from Vélez, a steal!

cd68f24c267f12870b366e2d05f387fc.png

5d44da9de10f14f703a40cf92aad76f7.png

44 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yeah, I would also pair a WP (on support) with an attack-duty FB (or WB on support). An example of a 4411 setup with a WP:

PFat

AMat

Wat      BBM     CMde     WPsu

FBsu        CD       CD        WBsu

Posted my reply before reading yours, interesting we have almost equal set-up.

I used a Wide Playmaker to great effect too:

I enjoyed the difference in the type of players I used in the role between saves: for Manchester United I used traditional #10s - Juan Mata, Angel Gomes and Kai Havertz. Whereas in my Dortmund save it was more creative wingers - Jadon Sancho was my main WP. 

My wide playmaker (A), in MRL positions, generally is my teams top scorer and top assists provider, next to none  of which are from crosses. He isn't even the highest quality player on the team. Of course it depends on the entire tactic /team setup but...the play style is great to watch.

• 6 months later...
Hello! I am trying to create a tactic using a WP. Would you change anything? The idea is to create overload in the right flank, and give more freedom to de left flank (I don't know if it's better a W or IW there)

Positive mentality

Shorter passing

Play out of defence

Work ball into box

Be more expressive

Higher DL

Offside trap

and I'm thinking in using a split block, but I don't know if it's good with this formation. 

DLFsu

IWat     CAR      MEZat     WPsu

DMde/HB

WBsu        CD       CD        FBsu

SKsu

Edited by chiani.ignacio

Time to present my suicidal Berlin tactics that — somehow — worked :)

SKd — CWBs, CD, CD, CWBs — WPa, CMd, DLPs, IWa — PFa, F9

Instructions aggressive to the max: Counterpress, much higher lines, max urgency, prevent GK distribution. Also distribution to the backline, counter and playing from the back. 

Basically going against every piece of common knowledge. I envisioned it as an old school 'Outscore the opponent' where I took deliberate risks for exciting matches with lots of goals that might end 5:4 in either direction. But after my second year I had the best defense for three years running because the press is just brutally effective...

While my PFa is a very good threat scoring between 26 and 30 goals each year and the DLPs has some good ratings and assists, the WPa is my favourite role, scoring and assisting a whole lot with 12-15 each per season.

While I was transitioning between Kalou and Samardzic as WPa I found it fascinating how the role changes between players. Samardzic (and Redan) were plenty athletically minded, bombing forward and becoming a dual-threat in the box with shooting and passing as an option. Meanwhile Kalou was playing lots of killer balls from the deep end when he was cornered and realised dribbling was not an option. 

1 hour ago, chiani.ignacio said:

DLFsu

IWat     CAR      MEZat     WPsu

DMde/HB

WBsu        CD       CD        FBsu

SKsu

Looks okay to me, nothing wrong per se (except that I don't know the players playing these roles). The only tweak I would consider is changing the RB's role into WB on support instead of FB, given that the WP will probably need more concrete support on that flank, especially if you intend to create an overload (as you stated in the opening post). Defense-wise, the WB on support should not pose a problem considering that the formation is bottom-heavy and employing a holding DM. 

Positive mentality

Shorter passing

Play out of defence

Work ball into box

Be more expressive

Higher DL

Offside trap

Instructions also look good (again assuming you have the right players for this kind of tactic). 

(I don't know if it's better a W or IW there)

IW makes more sense on the left flank than a winger in this particular setup IMHO.

On 12/08/2019 at 19:54, Pavi said:

Had great success, on my third season with Mainz, qualified for Champions League the first two seasons and won the domestic cup

Crazyman that’s success!! Would like to see your setup

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Looks okay to me, nothing wrong per se (except that I don't know the players playing these roles). The only tweak I would consider is changing the RB's role into WB on support instead of FB, given that the WP will probably need more concrete support on that flank, especially if you intend to create an overload (as you stated in the opening post). Defense-wise, the WB on support should not pose a problem considering that the formation is bottom-heavy and employing a holding DM. 

Instructions also look good (again assuming you have the right players for this kind of tactic). 

IW makes more sense on the left flank than a winger in this particular setup IMHO.

Thank you! 

On 12/08/2019 at 10:37, FMunderachiever said:

Hello everyone

Thanks

Yes I have. I used it for several FMs now when trying to emulate Diego Simeone's tactics

I'm utilizing it now with my Athletic save. Unai Lopez is a great WP. Scores goals too

Edited by Jean0987654321

My two most fun and successful tactics use a WP in a 442, in my current one I use a WP on support on the left and a Winger on attack on the right.  Looks like this to try and replicate a direct Leipzig style

PFa AFa

WPs BWMd BBM Wa

FBa CDd BPDd FBs

SKs

wp sends a lot of balls into space for winger who then crosses to two rushing forwards 

2 hours ago, mc22 said:

My two most fun and successful tactics use a WP in a 442, in my current one I use a WP on support on the left and a Winger on attack on the right.  Looks like this to try and replicate a direct Leipzig style

PFa AFa

WPs BWMd BBM Wa

FBa CDd BPDd FBs

SKs

wp sends a lot of balls into space for winger who then crosses to two rushing forwards 

I’d be keen to see the rest of this tactic (PI’s, TI’s, team and players). I’ve been playing with s similar (not the same) tactic with a W-Su and WP-At so would like to see the differences you have to me

17 hours ago, nick1408 said:

I’d be keen to see the rest of this tactic (PI’s, TI’s, team and players). I’ve been playing with s similar (not the same) tactic with a W-Su and WP-At so would like to see the differences you have to me

Here it is, it’s pretty aggressive and i try to tweak mid game if things aren’t working, but basically I just tried to recreate how Leipzig play with fast attacking and pressing, combining a few old replica tactics I read through the last couple of years to make my own. I’m in my second season at sporting in 2021 or 2022 so my squad isn’t fully up to where I want it yet but Selke was a steal and so far he’s come up with 17 goals in December 

D001305C-E160-464A-97C5-F60414C0E3BB.jpeg

Edited by mc22