Generating Effective Set Piece Routines

Hello everyone.

I feel this is an area of the game that is not discussed enough, and is possibly under explored.

What kind of set piece routines (if any) have people been setting, and finding effective?

Ive tended to find recently, if the ball is delivered into the box either from a corner, or wide free kick, im having good success by using an inswinging delivery, aiming to the far post where i position my player of best heading and jumping reach, but creating something of an overload by using another player to sniff around this back post area from the delivery.

I then position my striker, who has good anticipation and off the ball, into the middle of the goal 6 yards out.

Ive seen the player at the back post and my striker score more goals with this basic kind of routine.

My theory was that the player at the back post will win lots of headers, and they may score themselves. But if they dont, having players who can anticipate pouncing on the loose ball in the box could get me goals if i could induce some panic in the opposition.

Does anyone have any routines they find particularly successful?

Not looking for exploits, just different ideas.

Would love for example to pull of the famous "scholes" corner routine vs Bradford, or make use of a player putting the keeper off etc.

Thanks

I tweak around and have a few saved routines, but don't seem to generate any more goals than the default ones. If I end up with a monster header of the ball I might build something to suit.

The famous 'Scholesy" one - put your best long shots player to Lurk with 'Shoot More Often', and set kicker to deliver an outswinger to penalty spot. 

You can set someone to Mark Keeper, but I have rarely seen any noticeable impact.

Yes I've had a noticeable impact through changing mine. I'll show some pics later but usally involves talk CBs with good head on the far posts. Also I use whilst defending corners I keep 2 players up the pitch so there extra option wen wen win and go on the counter. Also whilst defending using certain players with either high marking ability after a certain opposition player & having them in the right place and marking tall opisition player can be useful aslo.

I have only some effect by corners on the near post. If the ball is delvered a direct goal sometimes happens or the ball is forwarded further to the second post what can create a chance. The scatter effects of my corner or freekick takers are much to strong  for precise deliveries (level 12-14).

May be better takers have better effects?

Edited by Zardoz

I've had some success with the following (for corners):

1 - put as many players as possible with the "lurk around" options

2 - have at least 2x players with either "lurk outside of the area" or "edge of the area" 

I've noticed that with (1) players tend to be more flexible with the way they find the ball and space to attack the ball. With (2) i find that it helps to prevent counter attacks and also to put the ball back into the area for a "2nd attempt" at the corner.

For free kicks i still didn't find anything relevant.

4 hours ago, effluxgaming said:

I've had some success with the following (for corners):

1 - put as many players as possible with the "lurk around" options

2 - have at least 2x players with either "lurk outside of the area" or "edge of the area" 

I've noticed that with (1) players tend to be more flexible with the way they find the ball and space to attack the ball. With (2) i find that it helps to prevent counter attacks and also to put the ball back into the area for a "2nd attempt" at the corner.

For free kicks i still didn't find anything relevant.

How do you tend to utilise your best headers of the ball?

12 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

How do you tend to utilise your best headers of the ball?

I put them wherever I tell the taker to deliver to. from wide areas, near post deliveries and good headers/JR at the near post can work. Although, with my players at the moment, I am not generating much more than from the default settings (no good takers and one decent header of the ball).