Here is my league history

Untitled.thumb.png.6ed36de99786ac7a2a49c6002300fd69.png

It started quite well and I got manager of the season but was then relegated the following season and its been downhill ever since, one hell of a slog to be fair but my persistence paid off and my most recent season has seen me finish 3rd and make the the playoffs.

In Playoff semi final we took the lead and I leapt off the sofa, screamed and punched the air with pure joy

I’m 38

We lost though on penalties, total heartbreak but I’m pretty optimistic about the coming season and despite the lack of success this has been my favourite CM/FM save ever, I literally cannot wait to play it every day.

So I guess my question is, is anyone else as crap at this as me?

I used to be terrible at this game. Every FM I did a save with my team Liverpool and always got sacked at some point during the first season! I read a lot of online tactics stuff and tried to understand the game better and I guess it worked because I had some decent saves and I eventually managed to finish a season with Liverpool finishing 4th!

On FM18 I decided to do a save with Celtic. I gave myself an ultimatum if you will... If I can't win the league with Celtic then I will not play FM anymore. As it turned out I did very well. Over the first two seasons I won every domestic trophy and had a run to the CL Last 16 in the first season and then the EL QF's the second season. In the third season I moved onto Everton who finished 12th the previous season and I guided them to a 6th placed finish in my first season.

On FM19 I have only done one save so far and I won the African Cup of Nations with Senegal (without Mane who was injured throughout!).

I'm not sure if FM is 'easier' now than it was a few years ago or I've gotten better but either way I enjoy it. If you enjoy it too, that's all that matters :)

Overall I'd say find the way of playing that you like. I know that I'm bad at tactics, but I also don't particularly like it. I like managing a roster. So I don't care about picking tactics on internet.

5 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

this has been my favourite CM/FM save ever, I literally cannot wait to play it every day.

That's what it's all about.  You aren't crap at anything :).

4 hours ago, knap said:

Maybe this guide may help

Cheers Knapp but guides and tactic discussion really arent for me, yes they would probably help but would it make my experience more rewarding?

going from perennial relegation candidates to playoff contenders for better or worse is all my own doing and the success when/if it comes is all the more sweet as far as i'm concerned.

like others have said though, the game we all love is what you make of it and its up to everyone to play how they want to.  Ongoing soul destroying mediocrity bordering on abject failure just happens to be mine :)

Remember folks there's always next season!

Edited by Brother Ben

When you finally get promoted, the joy and satisfaction will make it all worthwhile. 

Personally, I'd rather have an FM career like your one, compared to one with multiple instant promotions year after year. 

Credit to your board too for sticking with you. Out of interest, what are the board expectations each season? 

Edited by DementedHammer

Battle bravely the first two years then a mixture of mid table and avoid a relegation battle after I went down, I’ve been lucky in that respect, I’ve found if I can just get to a round or two further than they want in the cups and fulfil a few philosophy promises I can usually keep the wolf from the door

fair play to ya for sticking with it, and nice to see game didnt sack ya. That should hopefully turn into a good save for u. Not about success, it's about enjoyment

5 hours ago, Brendani2005 said:

Call me crazy but I enjoy the struggle. It makes it more realistic and challenging.

You’re dead right.

I'm probably going to get dogs abuse but I think most people who find the game too easy are downloading other people’s tactics, turning off attribute masking starting with international experience etc , which is fine, obviously, but it annoys me slightly when there’s complaints on here about the game being too easy.

43 minutes ago, monkeywool said:

As long as you're having fun, who cares how good you are?

Plus. you're improving, almost promoted? Something to play for there. This coming season will be yours bud. 

I'm actually second at the half way point.  The game is way too easy  ;) :D

9 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

I'm actually second at the half way point.  The game is way too easy  ;) :D

Put the champers on ice, you got this in the bag. Nothing could go wrong now ;)

18 minutes ago, monkeywool said:

Put the champers on ice, you got this in the bag. Nothing could go wrong now ;)

Famous last words!!  :D

Untitled2.thumb.png.7f9ef8427c42f83b5dd4490a5da2de38.png

Still confident though, Bamber Bridge have always been my bogey team to be fair.

We were pushing for an equaliser right till the last, a couple of season ago we would have folded like a pack of cards so good signs

Edited by Brother Ben

Truly, the struggle is what makes it interesting.

I change team time to time when it gets too easy.

Basically trying out with different tactics makes it much easier.

I just developed a tactics that saw any team I took charge of dominate in possession and passes

Its more fun that way

I love saves like this, nothing worse than seeing those people who go 4 promotions in 4 years with some obscure team, having downloaded some tactics and signed all the top free agents they can from a list on some fm website and then bragged they are the best! 

The hours you've put it and the enjoyment you must get from this save shows a true level of dedication.... although you must get frustrated at times.  

This has more realism for me than those people I've mentioned in the first line of my post. 

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:09, Brother Ben said:

Cheers Knapp but guides and tactic discussion really arent for me, yes they would probably help but would it make my experience more rewarding?

I'm sorry but what? :eek:

Are you saying to me you do not deploy a tactic AT ALL? Not even at the start? Does assistant do it all? 

So, do you just buy and sell players?

11 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

I'm sorry but what? :eek:

Are you saying to me you do not deploy a tactic AT ALL? Not even at the start? Does assistant do it all? 

So, do you just buy and sell players?

No, what I mean is I like to make my own tactics based on my observations of real football, all my own work, I personally find it rewarding.  Would I feel the same if I had tactical help? Even if it was just pointers?  That's just me though, we all play differently, that's the beauty of it

I think this is more a question for @JeffDogg i'm pretty sure he isn't a fan of tactics (correct me if i'm wrong)

@dap1987 - I do get frustrated (a lot!!) but i just keep thinking that a few tweaks here and there and next season could be our year, i'm building a legacy here like Alex Ferguson only without the success :D

Also its been pretty exciting as 3 of the last 4 years I've been involved in pretty frantic relegation battles

Edited by Brother Ben
2 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

No, what I mean is I like to make my own tactics based on my observations of real football, all my own work, I personally find it rewarding.  Would I feel the same if I had tactical help? Even if it was just pointers?  That's just me though, we all play differently, that's the beauty of it

I think this is more a question for @JeffDogg i'm pretty sure he isn't a fan of tactics (correct me if i'm wrong)

Ahhh ok, I get you now. 

I was the same for years but this year after 10+ years of being like that I've actually started reading up on tactics on here and trying to dig down into a deeper level of understanding.

But I totally applaud you, the game is for each individual to play as they want. 

Yeah think I combined yours and @JeffDogg post in my head.

Well, well. Every year I struggle for 5 - 10 saves until I find the ideal tactic. This year I was really going to resignate, but gave it a last shot in LLM. I developed a successful tactic for LLM.

But as I had no reputation, and my club did also have no rep and money, I could not get better over 2 seasons.

After that I have read that gegen press / high pressing are somewhat of a key to success  this year. Tried it with 4 - 2 - 3  - 1 wide and bang! This save lasts for more than 17 seasons right now.

Sometimes I wonder about downloaded tactics also, but those are always good for me for like 5 - 10 matches, no more. It was like FM 2017 when I downloaded perfect tactic, but it felt a bit like cheating. So every now and then I edit some things to have it better. I used them when I was desperate, and I did have no joy. Altough I created my tactic based on the advice from some forums, and it really works. It is like semi - download or so? :) However, I never really play and tinker with tactic too much, I really like the squad building part more. And of course the success part. Now it is like I have 2 offensive tactics, one for CL where I am the underdog. Sometimes I win in the CL, sometimes I don't, but it seems real to me. I never got higher than quarterfinal, but whatever...

I like what you are saying about tactics and working it out yourself but some of the guys on the tactics forum post some really good stuff.  They don't tell you how to create a tactic but you can get ideas as to what each role actual does and that helps you build one, it helped me just to understand more what I was asking my players to do rather than copying tactics from somewhere. 

It may be worth a read but at that level, some of it will be meaningless anyway because asking a guy in the 6th/7th tier of English football to play some of the roles available won't work anyway. 

32 minutes ago, dap1987 said:

I like what you are saying about tactics and working it out yourself but some of the guys on the tactics forum post some really good stuff.  They don't tell you how to create a tactic but you can get ideas as to what each role actual does and that helps you build one, it helped me just to understand more what I was asking my players to do rather than copying tactics from somewhere. 

It may be worth a read but at that level, some of it will be meaningless anyway because asking a guy in the 6th/7th tier of English football to play some of the roles available won't work anyway. 

Exactly what I have done this year although I have asked players in the 11th tier of Scottish football to play fancy roles and they've done fine even as 16 year old youth prospects just come through.

This is the kind of experience I enjoy reading about. Things I have done myself but never share. Plodding around with an average team, just doing average things year on year. Sometimes having a great season, sometimes a bad one, but mostly nothing. Scraping a promotion, getting utterly pummelled back down. I think a lot of people would feel a lot more secure in their games if they knew how common it was for people to do this.

One thing I will mention is that I do get overly attached to certain players and hang onto them probably longer than I should and I find releasing players difficult.

Maybe I should post my tactics for you all so you know what not to do :D

1 minute ago, Brother Ben said:

One thing I will mention is that I do get overly attached to certain players and hang onto them probably longer than I should and I find releasing players difficult.

Nah, straight out the door once they hit 28/29.

I know that is peak age but I'm all about playing with youth.

9 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

I've always been like that. I tend to not be willing to sell, if the player if good. In my current save I went in with the idea of trading: any offer will be heard, and any player can be negociated. That's a change for sure. Although now that I have better players, I don't do that anymore, but mostly because I can't get better players.

in case anyone is interested the second half of the season has started badly, we're still in a playoff position but there's only one automatic spot and my local rivals Altrincham are 12 points clear of second.  To compound this i'm pretty sure that even if you win the playoffs you don't go up automatically because you have to have more points than other playoff winners in the other divisions at the same level.  Make sense? Nope me either :D

The only way i'm getting out of this division is P45 in hand

Edit - found this online that explains it a bit better

There will be 12 promotions spots to fill and seven will be taken by the respective champions.

That leaves a handful of places up for grabs – and they will be allocated to five of the seven divisional play-off winners.

The five with the best points-per-game ratio will win promotion from Step 4. It means two sides who win their divisional play-offs will suffer the heartbreak of not going up.

Teams who finish in the lower play-off positions at the end of the regular season but then go on to win them are less likely to go up on the points-per-game ratio basis.

Edited by Brother Ben
clarity

I try to keep players as long as possible and usually a Vanarama player or two can be in squad when reaching PL

Had a few in my Raith Rovers save that graced the SPFL and were on the verge of winning the league after 4 years up there...

...and then my laptop died.

Heartbroken doesn't even come close.

And yes I know about the cloud but for whatever reason it was not there when I purchased a new laptop.

Just now, metallimuse said:

Had a few in my Raith Rovers save that graced the SPFL and were on the verge of winning the league after 4 years up there...

...and then my laptop died.

Heartbroken doesn't even come close.

And yes I know about the cloud but for whatever reason it was not there when I purchased a new laptop.

You can get an external drive enclosure for around a tenner.  Take the drive out of the broken laptop pop it in there and then transfer files to another PC/Laptop.  Assuming it wasn't the hard drive that was nackered of course..

8 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

You can get an external drive enclosure for around a tenner.  Take the drive out of the broken laptop pop it in there and then transfer files to another PC/Laptop.  Assuming it wasn't the hard drive that was nackered of course..

Cheers but I've moved on to pastures new.

It would be like going out to dinner with an ex at this point :lol: