Jump to content

Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread


Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

  1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

    • Players moaning for new contracts too often
      23
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
      12
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
      10
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
      11
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
      6
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)
      5

This poll is closed to new votes


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vor einer Stunde schrieb matisptfan:

How does one explain this? It's ridiculous! 

Stuff like this wouldn't never have happened in the ME used in the beta version.

As it stands, it's very hard for me to take any enjoyment from the game...

This happens in real football too, It's just about how often, not that it happens. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, matisptfan said:

 

How does one explain this? It's ridiculous! 

Stuff like this wouldn't never have happened in the ME used in the beta version.

As it stands, it's very hard for me to take any enjoyment from the game...

 

Basically just about all of these, bar the one where the keeper took the penalty, where the keeper played outfield and Neuer wandered into the opponent's penalty area. There's probably more, but this was the first result on my Youtube search.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2022 all local team

I just took to the field to play a game with this team. Afterwards there wasn't one mention of the fact that we played with an XI purely from the town that my team is in. Bearing in mind, this place has the same population as Maldon in Essex.

Surely, the game should recognise this fact? I mean, it used to recognise that the AI teams were playing with an entirely homegrown side, so why not mentioned a player's team when an event like this happens. Maybe even a Steam achievement

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jujigatame said:

Is it me or does "attacking mentality" often seem to mean "punt the ball downfield to nobody in particular"?  I get some real strange behavior when I push mentality up to anything above "positive".

I find whenever I put attacking mentality and I’m chasing a game, it rarely does anything good for me. Since I’m playing a fairly cumbersome online save, we only play on key highlights, so I basically switch to attacking and then never see a highlight again. That said, this probably isn’t a bug. You have to change your whole tactic to really get the best out of the mentality change. If you have a tactic suited to a balanced/positive mentality, it stands to reason that it may not perform well with an attacking mentality. That’s my guess anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jujigatame said:

Is it me or does "attacking mentality" often seem to mean "punt the ball downfield to nobody in particular"?  I get some real strange behavior when I push mentality up to anything above "positive".

and on players with tries long balls or killer passes and attacking duties it litteraly translates to ''hoof the long ball forward to opponents as soon as you can''. i've seen world class players end game bellow 50% passing rate. it makes attacking leagues like EPL unwatchable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Balotelli has been left out of the italy squad, it seems he hasn't featured enough for his domestic club, literally the next paragraph is ..... balotelli has been ever present for Newcastle this season. 

 

Having been critical of the game in the last week taking time to reflect i have decided to step away and wait for a match engine update, i hope to see the end of corner manager 2019 sooner than later

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, KUBI said:

This happens in real football too, It's just about how often, not that it happens. 

 

The difference is that in his highlight there are three players who are closing down the same opponent and none of them look like trying to win the ball back, it looks like they bump into each other.

Edited by Armistice
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jujigatame said:

Is it me or does "attacking mentality" often seem to mean "punt the ball downfield to nobody in particular"?  I get some real strange behavior when I push mentality up to anything above "positive".

I think it's a tempo related issue. The more "attacking" your mentality, the quicker the tempo, and players seem to struggle to play a possession game at such a high tempo.

I play "cautious" and you can dominate games and play a lot of short balls, whereas if I'm losing and only switch mentality, a lot more long balls come. That's as far as my testing has gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mitja said:

shouldn't be the opposite, attacking controling possession in opponents half and counter/cautious being more counter-attacking and direct? 

I don't know, I just notice your tempo automatically readjusts higher when you move up the mentality range, which in turns affects the passing range as player's start rushing. I wonder if maybe something people aren't noticing the tempo going up and not adjusting it back down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

it's the same hoofing behaviour for AI who will set tactics according to database. also maybe you don't want to play slow possessional style, but it doesn't meen players need to hoof the ball all the time just because you play on attacking mentality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mitja said:

it's the same hoofing behaviour for AI who will set tactics according to database. also maybe you don't want to play slow possessional style, but it doesn't meen players need to hoof the ball all the time just because you play on attacking mentality. 

This is what is frustrating a significant number of users. Player behaviour in the first phase of transitioning from defence to attack is bizarre. You can instruct your team to play out of defence, take fewer risks, position a DLP to pick up clearances and surround him with support duty passing options - Players' first thoughts are always to hoof it long, straight to the opposition.

There is nothing more annoying than spending hours reading / watching guides / testing, only to see your tactical instructions totally ignored. Prime examples of this is the outright refusal of both the goalkeeper to distribute quickly and wide players to hit early crosses / crosses from deep.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mitja said:

it's the same hoofing behaviour for AI who will set tactics according to database. also maybe you don't want to play slow possessional style, but it doesn't meen players need to hoof the ball all the time just because you play on attacking mentality. 

You can play attacking football with the cautious mentality. As always, the names of the mentalies are confusing and misleading.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You can play attacking football with the cautious mentality. As always, the names of the mentalies are confusing and misleading.

How about ditching mentality all together and just base your approach on TIs, roles and duties?

Basically the same approach taken with ditching shape. More attack duties = attacking mentality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

 You can play attacking football with the cautious mentality. As always, the names of the mentalies are confusing and misleading.

exactly my point. cautious = ''attacking'' and attacking is prectically unusable hoofball. but unfortunatly AI isn't awere of that. and there's also issue with vast majority of people who don't visit forums who won't have any idea that mentalities are the opposite to in-game description.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mitja said:

exactly my point. cautious = ''attacking'' and attacking is prectically unusable hoofball. but unfortunatly AI isn't awere of that. and there's also issue with vast majority of people who don't visit forums who won't have any idea that mentalities are the opposite to in-game description.

Cautious isn't attacking. It's entirely how you set it up. 

Think of it like present tactics we have now. It's just a base, generic set up you'll need to tweak for your squad. 

Edited by RandomGuy.
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

How about ditching mentality all together and just base your approach on TIs, roles and duties?

Basically the same approach taken with ditching shape. More attack duties = attacking mentality.

Definitely, it just confuses people every year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

How about ditching mentality all together and just base your approach on TIs, roles and duties?

Basically the same approach taken with ditching shape. More attack duties = attacking mentality.

exactly. in current tactical model mentality doesn't make much sense. dinosaur from CM days when there were 5 TIs.

Edited by Mitja
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mitja said:

exactly. in current tactical model mentality doesn't make much sense. dinosaur from CM days.

For argument's sake we could say 5 attack duties = attacking mentality.

We can then define how we attack in the tactical creator. I'm finding that the additional layer of hard-coded instructions on top of how I've instructed my team to play, unhinges my entire system. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

exactly. and most people on this forum play on balanced or lower mentalities anyway. also there's only two mentalities in whole bundesliga db and just three tactical styles. all bundesliga teams are set to either mentality number 7 or number 13. at first this might sound odd but it makes perfect sense to me and it has a lot to do with this discussion about mentality.

Edited by Mitja
Link to post
Share on other sites

I already said somewhere this is probably the best FM so far. But there is one thing i am really disappointed with. Newgens.

 

- barely any inside forwards. All players are wingers that can only play on the side of their stronger foot

- their physical attributes are overpowered. 17-18 year old kids have attributes of best athletes in the world. There are no players with great technical but average or poor physical like Iniesta, Xavi, D. Silva

- full backs are mostly defensive type of players. Its really hard to find players who can do a proper job at both attack and defence. And those players are norm today.

- defenders with poor bravery and agression attributes. And also poor techinque

- i still didnt find sweeper keeper. Of course it can happen, but knowing there were the same issues in previous versions, i dont think they actually exist

 

What is even more disappointing is that few people made these complaints before, but in the end i got the impression that nobody who can make changes to fix

these issues are taking this problem seriously. Or maybe they dont think there are any problems.

 

My apologies if i sound like one of those people who are here only to complain, insult or similar. Thats not my intention. But i was hoping, for years now, that someone will take a look

at these, in my opinion, big issues, that personally make me lose interest in the game after just 5-6 seasons.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think it's a tempo related issue. The more "attacking" your mentality, the quicker the tempo, and players seem to struggle to play a possession game at such a high tempo.

I play "cautious" and you can dominate games and play a lot of short balls, whereas if I'm losing and only switch mentality, a lot more long balls come. That's as far as my testing has gone.

You're probably correct at least in part, but I think "attacking" also lengthens the default passing range.

The more I watch the ME the more passing seems a little wonky in general.  You see a lot of very good players making terrible passes when under no pressure, often times from free/goal kicks or throw-ins.  Some combination of poor passing choice/accuracy is making pass completion percentages artificially low.  Maybe this had to be done because otherwise there aren't enough changes in possession, but it's definitely noticeable.

Edited by jujigatame
Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I play this game the more I grab my head in my hands in disbelief that I ever took it's tactics seriously. From now on, I will no longer refer to this game as FM19, it will be affectionately dubbed 'CM19', which if you cannot figure out what it stands for then I've no idea what game you've been playing. 

I'm on the beta and while it is better than ME1914, it's still just... I mean jesus, the set pieces. There is so little else the ME in CM19 has to offer right now. There are some good things about it, some bad, but it doesn't matter because ultimately it's all overshadowed by the set pieces which absolutely dominate.

It needs to be toned down. It's probably not difficult to fix but SI know that fixing it will lead to a quite stunning number of 0-0's. I know it too. But it's better to see 0-0's everywhere than repeated 1-0's with a corner goal. At least it's less soul crashing to finish 0-0 despite playing much better than it is to somehow lose 1-0 as the opposition don't play a minute's worth of football and win with the inevitable corner goal. And it's not like I don't sometimes get wins like that as well - I do, and I'll happily give them up. I never wanted to be Tony Pulis.

Edited by bar333
Link to post
Share on other sites

FM is the only popular rpg/simulation where the users do not know what elements of the game actually do

No one can clearly and confidently define what certain elements do such as such as tempo, play for set pieces etc... there is no proper definition on what it actually does in the game such as

high tempo = more runs, more dribbling, 

High Time-Wasting = Less Runs, More Holding Up the Ball

The tactic system needs a guide

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Amarante said:

I think we must now come up with a new system to replace mentalities. 

there's no need for new system, team & player instructions = mentality. it's not needed anymore especially now when transition instructions were introduced.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mitja said:

there's no need for new system, team & player instructions = mentality. it's not needed anymore especially now when transition instructions were introduced.

Although it's a really silly idea, if you have ideas, post them in the feature requests section. Ideally with clear reasons for a change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HUNT3R said:

Although it's a really silly idea, if you have ideas, post them in the feature requests section. Ideally with clear reasons for a change.

I intend on doing so. Though any change in this will require a fundamental rechange in alot of things, including how role functions and team instructions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Although it's a really silly idea, if you have ideas, post them in the feature requests section. Ideally with clear reasons for a change.

why do you think it's silly idea? mentality modifies and afects all other instructions. can you tell me for example will a player role with TTB rarely on overload attempt more such passes than a role with TTB often on defensive.

i think the game would benefit hugely if we had such basic stuff defined (like in real life and like all other games have), because most of us have no clue at the moment.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mitja said:

why do you think it's silly idea? mentality modifies and afects all other instructions. can you tell me for example will a player role with TTB rarely on overload attempt more such passes than a role with TTB often on defensive.

i think the game would benefit hugely if we had such basic stuff defined (like in real life and like all other games have), because most of us have no clue at the moment.  

If you think it isn't silly, you don't understand Mentalities and it is still worth posting a detailed feature request in the feature request section, rather than the feedback thread because this isn't feedback.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, kingking said:

FM is the only popular rpg/simulation where the users do not know what elements of the game actually do

No one can clearly and confidently define what certain elements do such as such as tempo, play for set pieces etc... there is no proper definition on what it actually does in the game such as

high tempo = more runs, more dribbling, 

High Time-Wasting = Less Runs, More Holding Up the Ball

The tactic system needs a guide

I'm....not entirely sure it works that way. If you wanted a tactic system guide, you might end up with about 300 pages of permutations and combinations that would drive even the most hardcore FM gamer insane. 

This, I think, is because the game works based off a combination of instructions, not just one magic button that immediately makes everyone play incredibly fast or incredibly slow football. Just because you select a higher tempo, doesn't necessarily mean there's more runs or more dribbling. Playing at a higher tempo could definitely mean trying to race the ball up the field as fast as possible - but it could also mean more passing into space, more long balls, more short passes between players, all of which depend on what kind of passing you want your team to implement. Likewise, playing for set pieces with a wide formation could mean playing for corners; playing more narrowly might either conflict with the instruction, or see your players hold the ball up in the middle waiting for someone to foul them. 

The point is that, much like real life football, there's a lot of permutations in the way that tactics work and why there are so many different styles of football. The fact that we have an entire tactics forum dedicated to people trying out and sharing different things suggests that the point is not to know for sure what certain elements do, but to get as cohesive an overall tactic as possible. If we had a guide for how the entire tactic system works down to instructions, the developers might as well just post the entire FM code on a website to let you read all the "If x then y" permutations they've presumably coded into the game.

Just my two cents.

Link to post
Share on other sites

this is feedback because i don't understand why defensive or attacking mentality produces completly different football than it is excpected and claimed in game description and advartised as main new feature (improved AI tactical styles) in the game. this is my feedback for game i bought more than month ago and it's unplayable for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minuti fa, womble248 ha scritto:

The point is that, much like real life football, there's a lot of permutations in the way that tactics work and why there are so many different styles of football.

indeed, except, premutations in real football generally don't appear because the manager wasn't quite sure what his instructions meant.

Edited by MBarbaric
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, womble248 said:

I'm....not entirely sure it works that way. If you wanted a tactic system guide, you might end up with about 300 pages of permutations and combinations that would drive even the most hardcore FM gamer insane. 

This, I think, is because the game works based off a combination of instructions, not just one magic button that immediately makes everyone play incredibly fast or incredibly slow football. Just because you select a higher tempo, doesn't necessarily mean there's more runs or more dribbling. Playing at a higher tempo could definitely mean trying to race the ball up the field as fast as possible - but it could also mean more passing into space, more long balls, more short passes between players, all of which depend on what kind of passing you want your team to implement. Likewise, playing for set pieces with a wide formation could mean playing for corners; playing more narrowly might either conflict with the instruction, or see your players hold the ball up in the middle waiting for someone to foul them. 

The point is that, much like real life football, there's a lot of permutations in the way that tactics work and why there are so many different styles of football. The fact that we have an entire tactics forum dedicated to people trying out and sharing different things suggests that the point is not to know for sure what certain elements do, but to get as cohesive an overall tactic as possible. If we had a guide for how the entire tactic system works down to instructions, the developers might as well just post the entire FM code on a website to let you read all the "If x then y" permutations they've presumably coded into the game.

Just my two cents.

i agree about permuations and combinations but frankly speaking half of the instruction don't work or do something totally different than claimed in description. because right now you need magic button (adapt to the ME) to play this game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mitja said:

i agree about permuations and combinations but frankly speaking half of the instruction don't work or do something totally different than claimed in description. because right now you need magic button (adapt to the ME) to play this game.  

Do you have a concrete example? I mean, if the game clearly is unresponsive to what you're doing then there's potentially something wrong. But it could also be conflicting instructions, or that your players just don't have the capacity to play the way you want, or that they aren't familiar enough with it yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, womble248 said:

Do you have a concrete example? I mean, if the game clearly is unresponsive to what you're doing then there's potentially something wrong. But it could also be conflicting instructions, or that your players just don't have the capacity to play the way you want, or that they aren't familiar enough with it yet. 

yes i have plenty of examples all reported in bugs forum in hope it gets fixed eventually. just basic football stuff like not hoofing the ball forward all the time, or players moving instead of parking into the box. or crossing from deep if asked to, not waiting to be tackled for next corner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Things like this is happening to me far to often. This would "never" been done by a player in Serie A leading 2-1 in injury time. It would hardly been done on 3rd level in a small country  (believe me, I have coached at that level for several years).  The player would/should either play back to GK, or give a throw in.....but as you can see there are several things in this clip that is a bit strange behaviour.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFpMss5CfLo

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DiasV said:

Things like this is happening to me far to often. This would "never" been done by a player in Serie A leading 2-1 in injury time. It would hardly been done on 3rd level in a small country  (believe me, I have coached at that level for several years).  The player would/should either play back to GK, or give a throw in.....but as you can see there are several things in this clip that is a bit strange behaviour.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFpMss5CfLo

To be fair though, that clip is hilarious. 

Are you on the public beta ME? Those two issues seem to be resolved for me.

Edited by pauly15
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, womble248 said:

 

Basically just about all of these, bar the one where the keeper took the penalty, where the keeper played outfield and Neuer wandered into the opponent's penalty area. There's probably more, but this was the first result on my Youtube search.

 

20 hours ago, KUBI said:

This happens in real football too, It's just about how often, not that it happens. 

 

I wasn't referring to an assist coming from a GK long kick, but the fact that 3 of my defenders got brain freezes at the same time and weren't able to clear the ball. I think it speaks volumes on how collision detection is (not?) implemented in the game.

@Armistice got the idea.   

Edited by matisptfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, matisptfan said:

 

I wasn't referring to an assist coming from a GK long kick, but the fact that 3 of my defenders got brain freezes at the same time and weren't able to clear the ball. I think it speaks volumes on how collision detection is (not?) implemented in the game.

@Armistice got the idea.   

Number 7 in the Bundesliga video has two defenders crashing into each other and letting the striker in completely; number 9 has multiple opportunities for players to clear the ball but don't.

The ME looks a bit clunky for sure but what I see in your video is three defenders who challenge for one ball, get in each others' way and lets the opposing striker in. Physics-wise it doesn't show them fully bouncing off each other (like maybe FIFA would) or falling on the floor, but given that the three of them run into the same spot and stop, I would call that about as close to three defenders ball-following and colliding and misjudging the ball entirely. Given that FM is presumably not aspiring to FIFA-level graphics, I'd let them off with this one. There's always the odd-terrible-animation in every ME in FM since they implemented the 3D thing. 

I would call that a defensive catastrophe rather than a problem with the ME, unless it's happened with several goals and a few matches over and over. Definitely frustrating, but freak things happen all the time in football, y'know?

But, y'know, to-may-to, to-mah-to. I can see your point of view, I just don't agree! Haha.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just asked my Assistant Coach to teach Aaron Hunt "try killer balls often" .. he answered that Hunt is too old and wont learn anything anymore at his age .. So i asked him if he can recommend smth , and he told me to teach Aaron Hunt to try killer balls often :seagull:  .. i said ok and now he's working on it :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, womble248 said:

I would call that a defensive catastrophe rather than a problem with the ME, unless it's happened with several goals and a few matches over and over. Definitely frustrating, but freak things happen all the time in football, y'know?

But, y'know, to-may-to, to-mah-to. I can see your point of view, I just don't agree! Haha.

No, a group of players chasing the same player (probably linked to chaotic pressing) was reported before as a bug in FM19 and I think SI are looking into it, but I don’t know if this is at fault for that particular match highlight, because I’ve seen it happen in FM18 aswell and last year edition didn’t have pressing issues.

Edited by Armistice
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think it's a tempo related issue. The more "attacking" your mentality, the quicker the tempo, and players seem to struggle to play a possession game at such a high tempo.

I play "cautious" and you can dominate games and play a lot of short balls, whereas if I'm losing and only switch mentality, a lot more long balls come. That's as far as my testing has gone.

It's not about tempo it's about mentally itself. I play cautious with much higher tempo and my team doesn't punt the ball forward. 

Attacking mentality increases risk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...