Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, pats said:

You have been explained in detail that AI doesn't cheat. But if you don't want to listen then keep these posts coming, we're having fun. :D:lol:

The game is not 'Beat the AI'. It's about simulating your style of management in a virtual world. Think what would you do if you were a real life manager. There is no fun in beating the AI. 

I think the latter part sums up a part of the problem. Football, inherently cannot be "Beaten". Eventually you're going to drop some points.

What guys like these face in their partly biased outlook tends to be the following.

- They typically outperform what the game's AI would do with the same teams by ridiulous marings. See also the remark about the game "punishing him for doing too well" (bit of a hubris right there, but hey).

- As a top team in particular, same as other top teams managed by AI in FM's game world, they tend to face a lot of very defensive opposition. On FM, AI tradtionally plays far too extremely defensive football imo, and oft times, it is even the top dogs doing it, which you would never see in real football (including Barcelona et all). As a result, almost every match is goingn to be "statistically onesided" by definition, when in football, things typically aren't that extreme.

- This is in parts where the garbage kicks in that has been broadcast into television households ever since the first simplistic data started to appear on television. You see,  a side having more shots than the other by the end of a match isn't primarily a sign of one side dominating the other. It is one first and foremost one of different tactical approaches. Go ask Burnley's manager, who isn't at all fussed about how many shots he concedes. He's fussed about what those shots look like... and the spaces his sides leave. Guardiola is much the same, except from a different angle. He couldn't give less if he tops the possession charts anywhere, as it's simply a byproduce of his prefered style of actually stretching opposition defenses, rather than him sitting down to think how he could top those possession charts some more (which is why he hates the term "tiki-taka" and what it seems to imply to some people.

- And sometimes, shot data is  a simple byproduct of the run of play. A team producing an early lead may not at all be focused on getting that many shots off anymore -- and vice versa. After all, balancing risk is a core thing in any sports, and committing added men forward may also increase the chance of conceding alike. I haven't checked, but it seems even for FM19, nobody has found a cheat yet to field 30 outfield players who could cover every square inch of the pitch at any one time.

To cut that long story short, there is a sizeable amount of FM's player base that don't even merely understand sports. They also have never understood that quite a few times in which they may drop a point despite having x more shots, they ARE being outthought by the AI rather than merely the victims of "bad luck". Every time I see posts like this, followed by the inevitable argument that "We had more shots but lost", it makes me want to slit my throat. Unless that is absolutely hammered out of people's heads, I personally can't see the AI much progressing its current stage, as frustration would only increase.

Unfortunately, the game has to battle against all the misconceptions that still tend to be broadcast on TV on a daily basis, sometimes even by ex-players.

Edited by Svenc

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My feedback is going to be on Mentoring as the ME issues has already been mentioned many times.

Mentoring

How does promoting my 15 year old to the first team squad just to be tutored is realism? Since when does a 14-15yr old takes part in first team training sessions permanently just so he can be tutored?? If you have read the biographies of footballers you will see that the mentoring system mostly works off the field and occasionally during extra training sessions. The 15 year old is no way a part of first team squad for many obvious reasons such as and not limited to

1) The training intensity and focus of the first team squad is completely different and not for a development of a 14-15 year old.

2) In some clubs, the training is not even in the same area. They have separate training centres for the youth and the first team.

All managers occasionally visit the academies of their youths to keep an eye on the promising 15 yr olds but mostly is based on feedback from their respective academy managers. Youth development is completely different from First Team training. Occasionally managers invite their youths to train with the First Team squad for a week or two to get a feel of the intensity and training regime of a full-fledge FIrst Team player. And then they join back their peers and continue their academy development.

It is not like how it works in the game at the moment, where the youth is required to be promoted to the First Team squad and is training full time with the first team squad(!). That's not how development for a youth or mentoring works.

9 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

My feedback is going to be on Mentoring as the ME issues has already been mentioned many times.

Mentoring

How does promoting my 15 year old to the first team squad just to be tutored is realism? Since when does a 14-15yr old takes part in first team training sessions permanently just so he can be tutored?? If you have read the biographies of footballers you will see that the mentoring system mostly works off the field and occasionally during extra training sessions. The 15 year old is no way a part of first team squad for many obvious reasons such as and not limited to

1) The training intensity and focus of the first team squad is completely different and not for a development of a 14-15 year old.

2) In some clubs, the training is not even in the same area. They have separate training centres for the youth and the first team.

All managers occasionally visit the academies of their youths to keep an eye on the promising 15 yr olds but mostly is based on feedback from their respective academy managers. Youth development is completely different from First Team training. Occasionally managers invite their youths to train with the First Team squad for a week or two to get a feel of the intensity and training regime of a full-fledge FIrst Team player. And then they join back their peers and continue their academy development.

It is not like how it works in the game at the moment, where the youth is required to be promoted to the First Team squad and is training full time with the first team squad(!). That's not how development for a youth or mentoring works.

Dont move them in first team squad when they are 15-16, i move them when they are 17+, if they are really wondekids. Leave them to train in u - sqauds, like normal kids train. They can still play for under 18 squad even they are in A squad, you know that.

Edited by Matej

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, upthetoon said:

Mentoring

I agree, it is unrealistic to have a senior player mentor a 15 year old that they've never met.

As you say, in many places youth and senior training is completely separate, thus there is no interaction or opportunity for mentoring between the two.
Many first team managers take very little interest in the academy, it is not the academy that will ensure that they still have a job in the morning.

On a game side, one of our goals with the mentoring system, in line with creating a realistic reflection of reality, is to curtail the exploitation that took place under the old tutoring system.

Penalties being saved seems overly common, my striker with 16 Penalty Taking, 15 Finishing, and 15 Composure scored 2 of 9 penalties taken this season, and similar the previous season though I forgot to note the exact stats and can't find them now.

Also I'm getting fed up of the transfer market being so one sided. The latest example being Liverpool offering £9m for one of my players valued at £9.5m with four years left on his contract, me responding with an asking price of £30m them withdrawing their offer and then the player handing in a transfer request due to being priced out of a move. Out of interest I found a player of theirs with a value of £9.5m, a similar age, and with three years left on his contract and offered £9m, the response was an asking price of £197m. And no he hasn't handed in a transfer request. For context Liverpool finished 2nd I finished 6th in the previous season.

I had another player hand in a transfer request due to me not winning the silverware I'd promised him, then get annoyed when I turned down an offer way below his value from a team the division below me. He wants to win silverware but is happy to drop down to a mid table Championship club?

vor 1 Stunde schrieb upthetoon:

Mentoring

Well, Hertha Berlin has a good approach with their U23 (in a time quite a couple of german Teams eliminated their U23s - a behavior which i consider a serious mismanagement) where they use it as Integration tool for the younger but talented Players to get a taste of First Team Football when they share time with the Pros at some stages of the competition like pre Season, Nation Teams breaks etc. when they Train and Play together and part of Hertha Berlins success with youth Players is that you can consider that part time shared mentoring or something likle that where Players as Young as 16yrs take part up to Players as old as 34yrs atm.

They Manage very careful where the Players do play each matchday to maximise the development effect where the young Players get Matches in any Team they qualify for from youth up to first Team Matches.

And was it not that long ago a Skandinavian Guy of 15yrs made his First Team appearance - surely an outlier but it happens?

Edited by Etebaer

1 hour ago, Seb Wassell said:

I agree, it is unrealistic to have a senior player mentor a 15 year old that they've never met.

As you say, in many places youth and senior training is completely separate, thus there is no interaction or opportunity for mentoring between the two.
Many first team managers take very little interest in the academy, it is not the academy that will ensure that they still have a job in the morning.

On a game side, one of our goals with the mentoring system, in line with creating a realistic reflection of reality, is to curtail the exploitation that took place under the old tutoring system.

All that you said makes a lot of sense. Except that in my opinion you have replaced an unrealistic, very exploitable system that had clear purposes (modify personality and/or pass specific PPM's) with an unrealistic system that is much less exploitable but now lacks a specific purpose. Probably the most realistic way to reproduce real life mentoring would be removing mentoring from the game (then personality/determination would be only associated with dynamics and social groups) but if you want to keep it in the game t it needs to have a purpose and work more clearly. Personally I miss the option to pass specific PPM's from a player to another as this was a big part of how I liked to (try to) build a specific brand of football, and didn't find it particularly unrealistic. Especially as now PPM's are passed randomly within a mentoring group (?) made of multiple players.

1 hour ago, Seb Wassell said:

I understand the current system was put in place to curtail the exploit by the old tutoring system which was completely unrealistic.

But the current requirement to promote a player to the first team squad to be mentored is wrong and it doesn't work that way. 

There must be a better way in-game to achieve this instead, as the current method is quite misleading in how actual mentoring works..

Something to think about for SI.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Svenc:

I think the latter part sums up a part of the problem. Football, inherently cannot be "Beaten". Eventually you're going to drop some points.

What guys like these face in their partly biased outlook tends to be the following.

- They typically outperform what the game's AI would do with the same teams by ridiulous marings. See also the remark about the game "punishing him for doing too well" (bit of a hubris right there, but hey).

- As a top team in particular, same as other top teams managed by AI in FM's game world, they tend to face a lot of very defensive opposition. On FM, AI tradtionally plays far too extremely defensive football imo, and oft times, it is even the top dogs doing it, which you would never see in real football (including Barcelona et all). As a result, almost every match is goingn to be "statistically onesided" by definition, when in football, things typically aren't that extreme.

- This is in parts where the garbage kicks in that has been broadcast into television households ever since the first simplistic data started to appear on television. You see,  a side having more shots than the other by the end of a match isn't primarily a sign of one side dominating the other. It is one first and foremost one of different tactical approaches. Go ask Burnley's manager, who isn't at all fussed about how many shots he concedes. He's fussed about what those shots look like... and the spaces his sides leave. Guardiola is much the same, except from a different angle. He couldn't give less if he tops the possession charts anywhere, as it's simply a byproduce of his prefered style of actually stretching opposition defenses, rather than him sitting down to think how he could top those possession charts some more (which is why he hates the term "tiki-taka" and what it seems to imply to some people.

- And sometimes, shot data is  a simple byproduct of the run of play. A team producing an early lead may not at all be focused on getting that many shots off anymore -- and vice versa. After all, balancing risk is a core thing in any sports, and committing added men forward may also increase the chance of conceding alike. I haven't checked, but it seems even for FM19, nobody has found a cheat yet to field 30 outfield players who could cover every square inch of the pitch at any one time.

To cut that long story short, there is a sizeable amount of FM's player base that don't even merely understand sports. They also have never understood that quite a few times in which they may drop a point despite having x more shots, they ARE being outthought by the AI rather than merely the victims of "bad luck". Every time I see posts like this, followed by the inevitable argument that "We had more shots but lost", it makes me want to slit my throat. Unless that is absolutely hammered out of people's heads, I personally can't see the AI much progressing its current stage, as frustration would only increase.

Unfortunately, the game has to battle against all the misconceptions that still tend to be broadcast on TV on a daily basis, sometimes even by ex-players.

The ex- players i know and see on TV mostly say stats are a nice gimmick but dont really matter.

looking forward to the new update as at the moment its just do able. players dont respond to how your playing. if you have high wing backs they play in a flat back 4 which is wierd.

cross early and deep and they get to the byline and rarely cross. top of the scoring charts scored 19 in the premiership and next one 16 shows maybe a problem with finishing.

gk are back to the super keeper as you have about 20 shots on target all saved by crazy reactions then the keeper gets a rating of 6.5 ???? note i dont want to score all the chances so suggests that there are too  many shot on target or too many chances in general.

everything goes out wide then inside then wide then inside then wide very boring 

we are back to the closing down like headless chickens with 4 or 5 players hunting the ball down in packs. 

so lets hope the update isnt too far away

9 minutes ago, bradjsmith said:

looking forward to the new update as at the moment its just do able. players dont respond to how your playing. if you have high wing backs they play in a flat back 4 which is wierd.

cross early and deep and they get to the byline and rarely cross. top of the scoring charts scored 19 in the premiership and next one 16 shows maybe a problem with finishing.

gk are back to the super keeper as you have about 20 shots on target all saved by crazy reactions then the keeper gets a rating of 6.5 ???? note i dont want to score all the chances so suggests that there are too  many shot on target or too many chances in general.

everything goes out wide then inside then wide then inside then wide very boring 

we are back to the closing down like headless chickens with 4 or 5 players hunting the ball down in packs. 

so lets hope the update isnt too far away

wing backs no matter what don't cross. there is zero central play or movement.

i'm in a match now where in 30mins I've had 3 shots on the crossbar. the number of shots in the woodwork is so unrealistic. one of the games, I've had 5 shots on the woodwork and 3 from the opponent. all in 1 match. 

12 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

wing backs no matter what don't cross. there is zero central play or movement.

i'm in a match now where in 30mins I've had 3 shots on the crossbar. the number of shots in the woodwork is so unrealistic. one of the games, I've had 5 shots on the woodwork and 3 from the opponent. all in 1 match. 

Are you playing attacking wingbacks? I'm playing 4-1-4-1 DM Wide with West Ham and Cresswell is consistently getting the most assists in the team because he does nothing but run to the byline and cross (admittedly 80% of them are into the defender for a corner) but enough end up with Yarmolenko IW on the opposite wing that I'm getting bored of seeing the same goal happening over and over.  

You're right about lack of central movement, but from what I can see that is stopping wingbacks getting a cutback or deep cross option and forcing too many byline cross attempts.

The ME definitely throws away possession too easily in the final third rather than trying to recycle the ball - too many desperate crosses and long shots.  I also think at Premiership level the ME seems too oversensitive to players being under pressure and goes wide when players could realistically take the ball even with the attention of nearby defenders. Possibly needs better tuning by league level.

Edited by rp1966

7 minutes ago, Armistice said:

Can we get an approximate estimation for when the ME updates might be released? Are we talking about a week, a month, a couple of months? Just curious.

Probably in the 19.2.0 patch. I remember someone from staff said they are rechecking all roles, so that will take some time.

Moving away from ME talk, there are a bunch of annoying bugs and oversights.

Couple annoying ones -

A. Personalized roles don't work. If you want one striker to automatically get a CF role and the rest of them a DLF role, it can't be done. You can set it up and it works for a while but then after you play a game with a player with a personalized role, that role reverts to be the default one. Basically have to manually change the roles every time you slot a different player because the personalized role sticks and applies to everyone else.

B. "Not enough quickness training". Seriously, this needs to be fixed. Every time I've seen this mentioned it has been addressed offhandedly with a "does it really matter if they're unhappy?". Yes, yes it does - players who are unhappy with training don't perform well in training. I've got a group of players who want more quickness training (anything short of a full physical schedule does not satisfy them) and they are all pulling 6-6.5's training performances. Edit: This is apparently also solved by giving them a quickness additional focus. Easier to deal with but I still don't get why so many players want quickness training, seems oddly specific and happens way, way too often. Clearly a bug or oversight.

C. Other training quirks. I have a professional squad personality and with half of my players the coach reports indicate that "progress has been slow due to casual approach to training". This is on young players with a Resolute personality.

Edited by bar333

27 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

The ME definitely throws away possession too easily in the final third rather than trying to recycle the ball - too many desperate crosses and long shots.  I also think at Premiership level the ME seems too oversensitive to players being under pressure and goes wide when players could realistically take the ball even with the attention of nearby defenders. Possibly needs better tuning by league level.

i agree about recycling possession, so annoying on attacking mentalities. not only in final third.

i've seen world class midfielders clearing the ball with nobody around them. every other long ball going towards out line is headed to out instead of just leaving it (do we need to report this things to be looked at?). i haven't seen so many rushed clearances which make no sense since early days of 2D when it was huge issue. anyone seen player to try dribbling out of trouble to start counter attack? they imediatlly pass long ball towards striker which is in most cases intercepted and so many counters naver happen, which is a shame. headers back to the keeper are rare as hell.

Edited by Mitja

23 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

This is my biggest negative observation from FM19 so far. 

1 hour ago, GerdMuller said:

The ex- players i know and see on TV mostly say stats are a nice gimmick but dont really matter.

This is a recurring argument made across sports. You can see a version of it unfolding right now in baseball because Jacob DeGrom just won a Cy Young award (best pitcher of the year) despite not getting many "wins" (a traditional stat that pitchers don't have meaningful control over).

But the analysts always win in the end. The baseball establishment is now the analytic establishment; the same thing is happening in basketball and hockey. The traditional gatekeepers of the game—players, managers, pundits—tend not to be mathematically or analytically inclined, and they tend not trust what they don't understand. But wherever the argument is had, they always lose, and the nerds take over the actual running of their sport. It's already happening in soccer, too; it just doesn't bubble up to the popular consciousness much.

24 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

Probably in the 19.2.0 patch. I remember someone from staff said they are rechecking all roles, so that will take some time.

Yeah but how long is it gonna take until 19.2 comes out? When was it released in the previous years? December?

1 minute ago, Mitja said:

lucky you!!

you're right I don't know why I said that!

I also am really Pee'd off with the mentoring system as has been mentioned above. The mentoring groups don't make much sense IMO.

The training feedback. I'm told (a young) player X has reached his potential in a certain area after a few weeks, yet there is no visible improvement in their stats, and why should they reach their potential so early? An 18 year old should be able to improve when training for a new position till they hit early 20's. Or I should have the message after a number for months/seasons to say he cant improve anymore.

In lower league management (Conf North/South are where I have seen it first hand) you cant find any players that have any strength + heading ability, (let alone aggression & bravery). I want to play long ball football (like most teams do at that level) but I cant find a target man. I expect there to be a great limitation on technical skills but not physical & mental ones.

11 minutes ago, bar333 said:

A. Personalized roles don't work.  

C. Other training quirks. 

A - I don't use personalized roles so I haven't experienced this but it certainly sounds like a UI bug and may be worth posting to the bug form. Don't think I've seen anyone mention this one.

C - I do believe when it says they have a casual approach to training it's generally an indicator of the player being on the less ambitious side. You might just be unlucky having some unambitious players. In FM18 I found that it was something that could kind of come and go so you should still be ok in the long term with resolute personalities 

• SI Staff
47 minutes ago, bar333 said:

C. Other training quirks. I have a professional squad personality and with half of my players the coach reports indicate that "progress has been slow due to casual approach to training". This is on young players with a Resolute personality.

Just because a player is resolute does not mean he will train well all of the time. FM17 introduced considerably more variance here.

Something weird going on with goal line technologies replays sometimes (FMT).  A goal is scored and then you get a replay - the replay shows the goal being scored as it origianlly was, but then it cuts to a goal line technology animation that shows the ball not crossing the line.

Not sure what the intention is here. Should it turn into a disallowed goal or is the goal line technologies animation being triggered incorrectly. Either way it doesn't seem to match the rest of the action.

I'll upload a pkm of my current game once it's finished.

EDITED TO ADD:  Just watched the goals again.  It looks like before the goal went in there was a goal-line save that fell to the goalscorer to tuck away.  The goal line technology animation must have been selected at the point of the save but not removed when the rebound was scored. Not sure where, if anywhere, that would show.

Edited by rp1966
Additional info

(Thank you S.I & FM Team for your work, I love FM19)

I see one massive problem for Top A.I Managers and there A.I Teams  (e.g. A Liverpool, FC Bayern Munich, Man City) that no one in the whole forum has mentioned or even thought about....

FM 19 A.I Managers using 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. For A.I Managers and A.I Teams such as A.I Man City & A.I Pep Guardiola when they attack in a 4-3-3 they can only defend in a 4-3-3 shape or when they attack in a 4-2-3-1 they only defend in a 4-2-3-1 , this leaves gaps, space, reduces compactness and makes their defending worse.

real life 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. In real life when Man City and Pep Guardiola attack in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, they defend in a 4-5-1, 4-4-2 or 4-1-4-1 because it improves defending, reduces gaps and space, improves compactness and shape.

A.I not intelligent Enough The A.I Managers and A.I Teams such as A.I Man City & A.I Pep Guardiola they are not intelligent enough to intentionally defend in 4-5-1 and attack with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.  Liverpool use a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 but only defend in 4-3-3- or 4-2-3-1.

The User. Its easy for us to intentionally attack with a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 but defend using a 4-5-1.. but not for A.I Man City & A.I Pep Guardiola

What can we do? How can we make A.I Managers and A.I Teams such as A.I Man City & A.I Pep Guardiola defend in a 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 but attack in a 4-3-3 like they do in real life?

Edited by kingking

14 minutes ago, wkdsoul said:

Hope people don't fall for that.. however SI aren't much better:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/football-manager-2019-touch/id1391009423?mt=8

Check out the in app purchases. £6.99 for £50m on FM Touch.

Edited by craiigman

9 hours ago, penza said:

there is a way to play BETA, my mate is playing it, he backed up the game when it came out and he replaced the SI folder and is playing offline mode, this way he can play BETA. Thus SI can easily provide any ME versions they want!

Should have thought of this

Enjoying the ME tbh, had plenty of variation in goals, including a move an incisive counter that saw my winger cut back to a midfielder making a late run who curled it in from just outside the box.

Only annoyances for me are the length of the VAR review clip, takes an age, and you don't even see the incident again ( I have replays off, not sure if this effects it, might be nice to have a wee window in a corner showing the incident again in slow mo while the ref runs about, though).

I also have an interface bug where half the team disappears every time I click, been like that since the winter update for 18, and has been in every stage I've played of 19. 

10 hours ago, jc1 said:

Pass, then pass some more, the ball goes out wide and either crossed for a goal, or you get a corner and a CB scores from that. Very occasionally you get a goal from a  nice passing move but it's usually goals from corners, wide attacks or one of the multiple penalties, yes winning regularly but getting bored to the back teeth of the way the game is playing.

we all just waiting for a ME update now, game is playable for casuals i guess.

10 minutes ago, Domathon said:

we all just waiting for a ME update now, game is playable for casuals i guess.

Seriously. A high proportion of this thread is snarky little comments like this and they add limited value. They're usually repeat comments from the same posters too, so it's just like being stuck in Groundhog Day.

It's absolutely fine if you have issues with the game, but don't spam this thread with repetitive bollocks. If you actually give a damn, go nuts in the bugs forum with examples that will actually help SI decide if issues raised are legit and warrant some attention.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb kingking:

I hope i'm wrong

I see one massive problem for Top A.I Managers and there A.I Teams  (e.g. A Liverpool, FC Bayern Munich, Man City) that no one in the whole forum has mentioned or even thought about....

FM 19 A.I Managers using 4-2-3-1/4-3-3. For A.I Managers and A.I Teams such as A.I Man City & A.I Pep Guardiola when they attack in a 4-3-3 they can only defend in a 4-3-3 shape or when they attack in a 4-2-3-1 they only defend in a 4-2-3-1 , this leaves gaps, space, reduces compactness and makes their defending worse.

real life 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. In real life when Man City and Pep Guardiola attack in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, they defend in a 4-5-1, 4-4-2 or 4-1-4-1 because it improves defending, reduces gaps and space, improves compactness and shape.

A.I not intelligent Enough The A.I Managers and A.I Teams such as A.I Man City & A.I Pep Guardiola they are not intelligent enough to intentionally defend in 4-5-1 and attack with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.  Liverpool use a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 but only defend in 4-3-3- or 4-2-3-1.

The User. Its easy for us to intentionally attack with a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 but defend using a 4-5-1.. but not for A.I Man City & A.I Pep Guardiola

What can we do? How can we make A.I Managers and A.I Teams such as A.I Man City & A.I Pep Guardiola defend in a 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 but attack in a 4-3-3 like they do in real life?

It would be a great feature , if SI would make it possible to Add custom tactics for AI Managers on the Editor . Pep , Valverde are just not playing how their teams are playing. to only mention 2 of many Coaches . 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Double Indemnity:

This is a recurring argument made across sports. You can see a version of it unfolding right now in baseball because Jacob DeGrom just won a Cy Young award (best pitcher of the year) despite not getting many "wins" (a traditional stat that pitchers don't have meaningful control over).

But the analysts always win in the end. The baseball establishment is now the analytic establishment; the same thing is happening in basketball and hockey. The traditional gatekeepers of the game—players, managers, pundits—tend not to be mathematically or analytically inclined, and they tend not trust what they don't understand. But wherever the argument is had, they always lose, and the nerds take over the actual running of their sport. It's already happening in soccer, too; it just doesn't bubble up to the popular consciousness much.

Will always be a mix, i watched Moneyball too, but as it  changed the game there are things even in baseball thats not just stat sheets still. In NHL hockey the hype about stats is huge atm and its good the old boys network has to adjust. Ners will never take over the sport , but they are a much needed aspect to add to the whole picture ,too.  Its some nerds that think they can be the next big thing now because they kow a bit about fantasy sports that have themselve a fantasy they could actually have success with this. If its only statds and analytics grab your sheets , ge ton a football pitch near you and enlighten the youngsters that actually play the game.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb craiigman:

Hope people don't fall for that.. however SI aren't much better:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/football-manager-2019-touch/id1391009423?mt=8

Check out the in app purchases. £6.99 for £50m on FM Touch.

Who is as dumb and wants to spoil the game experience by this is welcome to pay, give him every option he wants SI and use it on the proper game. That being said i still would always have a normal option to just not get fired. :-D But if i had to buy it it feels wrong again . :-D

39 minutes ago, roykela said:

-Custom views still a mess, after all these years.

This one grinds my gears, too. After all these years, column behavior (and text/info alignment) is still erratic, it's still impossible to lock their width or position, and the tiniest misclick can mess up minutes of work.

Edited by Double Indemnity

The Assist Machine aka AMC is dead, even the AI teams is converting goal creating AMC's to MC.

AML/AMC/AMR all stand inside the defensive line, making them useless as a passing option, a 4-2-4 is a four striker team and the -2- is all you have to create play and it looks like the AI *knows* to go hard on those two, especially if you make them playmakers.

I had set my defensive line to be very deep, inside the area in the visual representation, Cautious mentality, yet still took a ball over the top from the mid because defenders were way ahead of where they were supposed to be and I can't understand why.

9 hours ago, kingking said:

(Thank you S.I & FM Team for your work, I love FM19)

The position familiarity between MR/ML/MC and AMR/AML/AMC needs to be treated leniently by the tactics module.

Secondly, the AI managers need to be coded the difference between compact formations and expansive formations. They must be coded to be more adaptable from match to match with regards to positions in their preferred formations. Rather than sticking rigidly to their preferred formation positions, they should know how to keep things tight or how to be more open without compromising the team mentality. Right now they do change mentality during a match but don't pull their AMR/AML/AMC back to MR/ML/MC even when they go cautious.

For example, if they are playing 4-1-2-3 DM wide to begin with and decide to go cautious during a match, they should pull their AMR and AML back to MR and ML to make it 4-1-4-1 DM and there shouldn't be too much positional familiarity penalty for those two wide guys. Guardiola does that a lot in real life.

Also, if a player is too good to be dropped or accomodated in the current formation, the AI manager should be coded to be more flexible to make slight adjustments. For example, Klopp in real life last season never changed his 4-3-3 formation but this season he is using 4-2-3-1 sometimes to accommodate excellent Shaqiri. I don't see that in FM right now.

Edited by pats