How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

However, the muted celebrations for the victory are cancelled by news from the Nou Camp that Barcelona prevailed 2-0 over Extremadura to wrap up the title. It’s scant consolation to know that the victory guaranteed second place in La Liga, as that only means that we are the first of the losers. It’s also bad news for Getafe and its fans, as our victory means that they are the first club to be relegated from the top flight this season. At the moment, it looks like Real Zaragoza and Extremadura will join them in the Segunda Liga next season.

At least George Clegg and Alex Notman have the joy of knowing they made the starting eleven for the Team of the Week. Niels Kokmeijer is a substitute on the same team.

7th of May 2006

Winning the Primera Liga title in the 2003/04 season, winning the FIFA World Club Championship title in 2002 and losing the final of the European Champions’ League in 2005 is of little concern to the board of Real Madrid as the axe finally falls upon the neck of Señor Vicente del Bosque this evening. No doubt prodded and pushed in part by our 6-2 thrashing of the club in the Santiago Bernabéu, the final straw is a 3-2 home loss to Sporting Gijón. Real Madrid is 10th in the league and despite having the talents of Totti, Raúl, Morientes, Ronaldinho, Alex and Roberto Carlos to call upon, it isn’t enough for del Bosque to keep his job. I would have been interested in taking over Real Madrid a few seasons ago, but I think I want to see if I can push Cartagonova all the way to the top next season… icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

If it’s any consolation to del Bosque, he may soon be joined by Real Zaragoza’s Señor Fernando Vázquez and Mallorca’s Señor Juande Ramos.

Del Bosque’s sacking means that I move up to third in the list of best managers in Spain, behind Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer of Barcelona and Señor Guus Hiddink of Valencia. I am now also the 37th best manager in Europe.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10th of May 2006

European Champions’ League - Semi-Final, 2nd leg: Celta Vigo v Cartagonova

Holding a slender goal lead, with our opponent enjoying the potential advantage of the precious away goal, means that we have to be at our best to force our way into the final of the pinnacle European club competition. But this is our 61st game of the season and we’re beginning to feel a little jaded. However, with Gavião and Redondo failing fitness tests in the morning, I’m only able to make one change to the eleven - recalling Michel to the side at the expense of Mendoza. Things begin badly when Gershon handles the ball inside the area on 8 minutes. I almost think we’re going to get away with that offence, but the referee finally succumbs to the pressure and blows for the penalty. Casquero, our old tormentor from the Segunda Liga days when he played for Sevilla, sends Vidal the wrong way but needs more than a touch of luck as it rebounds off the inside of the post into the net. icon_mad.gif

Now that Celta Vigo has their goal, they set out their stall to strangle the life out of the match and while we huff and puff for the remainder of the half, all our efforts are in vain as we barely look like troubling Asper in goal, let alone scoring a goal. Even when I switch formation to the more attacking 4-3-1-2 in the second half, it does little to inspire much confidence that we can fight back for a draw. Six minutes from time, with hope running out, Diego Ribera thinks he has sealed the game when he has the ball in the net after Vidal fumbles a catch. But fortunately, the linesman breathes new life into the end of the game when he raises his flag for off-side. Notman proceeds to hit a long-range shot over the bar a minute later and I’m left fuming on the side-lines. But it’s not to be and we bow out of the competition at the second-last stage. It will be a Celta Vigo-PSG final.

Celta Vigo (1-2-5-2): Asper; Quique Ãlvarez, Bravo ©; Roger, De Pedro, Morales (Xavi 57), Casquero, Arellano; McCarthy, Diego Ribera.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Ballesteros, Jaliens; Gustavsson; Michel, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Notman, Kokmeijer (Sabino 70).

Final score: Celta Vigo 1:0 Cartagonova

Aggregate: Celta Vigo 2:2 Cartagonova (Celta Vigo advance on away goals rule)

MoM - Mattias Asper

While we’re all obviously disappointed to lose this game, at least Ballesteros doesn’t suffer the ignominy of missing the biggest game in his career - his third yellow card of the European campaign will mean he misses our first game next season! icon_biggrin.gif Also on the bright side, that means there is a maximum of five games until our season is over and we can enjoy a well-earned break.

12th of May 2006

At least there is some good news to come out of this week as several papers have praised Iván Vidal for his excellent work between the sticks for us in recent times and believe that he should be called up to Spain’s squad to go to the World Cup. I, of course, cannot argue with such logic and add my voice in support of the ‘Vidal for World Cup’ campaign. Let’s see how effective it is in a month or so! icon_biggrin.gif

Barcelona finally play a catch-up game this evening and their 2-1 victory over Real Zaragoza means they lead us by 14 points at the top of the ladder. icon_frown.gif Having lost just three times and drawn twice this season, they have accumulated 92 points compared to our 78 points. Sometimes, this game is just not fair. icon_mad.gif

14th of May 2006

Primera Liga - Game 36: Cartagonova v Deportivo La Coruña

With second place secured and the championship far out of our reach, there is little really to play for this afternoon, apart from entertaining the home crowd. But I guess that we can use this game against Deportivo to fine-tune our tactics and improve morale before we face Barcelona in the Nou Camp for the right to clash for the Copa del Rey at the end of the season. Which is why I’m disappointed to see Vidal save twice in two minutes before conceding to Diego Tristán on 32 minutes. icon_frown.gif However, it doesn’t take us long to equalise the scores. Notman sets up Kokmeijer, but the Dutchman’s shot is well held by Molina. However, Gustavsson wins the contest to head the ball at the feet of Morán, and the midfielder, bursting with confidence, has only one thought in his mind - advance towards Molina and have a go. It comes off spectacularly as the ball hits the back of the net from 25 yards! icon_biggrin.gif

Four minutes before half-time, we hit the lead when Deportivo’s Naybet fouls Morán inside the area. The referee blows unerringly for the penalty which is coolly converted by Kokmeijer, ignoring the taunts of the visiting Deportivo fans who do their best to put him off. But Deportivo has Tristán and Mista in attack and we almost concede as quickly as we scored when the front pair combine well to test Vidal time and again before we finally clear the ball out of defence and the whistle is blown for the break.

Despite a speech asking the defenders to dig deep, Deportivo still has the first opportunity of the second half - fortunately, Víctor can’t beat the on-form Vidal after 51 minutes. We wrap up the points on the hour mark when Kokmeijer scores his second goal of the game, converting an intelligent pass from substitute Carl Laurie. But that doesn’t discourage Deportivo from going on the attack and Vidal needs to be at his best to deny Kim Källström twice and Diego Tristán a few times before the game is out.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Ballesteros, Sanz (Laurie 51); Mendoza (Vucko 81), Gustavsson, Lua-Lua; Morán; Notman, Kokmeijer.

Deportivo La Coruña (4-3-2-1): Molina; Aranzábal, Boris, Naybet ©, Melchiot (Wisio 67); André Luiz, Emerson (Roberto 77), Víctor (Godino 61); Mista, Källström; Diego Tristán.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:1 Deportivo La Coruña

MoM - Iván Vidal

As a bonus, Iván Vidal again starts as the goalkeeper in the Team of the Week.

17th of May 2006

I’m surprised this morning to find on my desk a fax from Celta Vigo officially bidding £4.4 million for Sabino. I believe that Señor Víctor Fernández finds it difficult that I have need for four top strikers and believes that he can prise one away from me. It’s true that Sabino has been sparingly used this season, only playing 9(9) times for the club, but he has always done the job when called upon and has been patient enough to wait his turn without making a fuss about it. I’m inclined to keep him, but at least I can explore potential deals with my Celta Vigo counterpart. After I tell him rudely that he should be preparing for Celta’s clash with PSG in the European Champions’ League final.

Copa del Rey - Semi-Final, 2nd leg: Barcelona v Cartagonova

“…Ever since Cartagonova came to the Primera Liga, Barcelona and the southern club have enjoyed a fierce rival that has seen many games go right down to the wire. Who can forget the 2004 Copa del Rey final when Cartagonova’s Stan Collymore scored a hat-trick only to be denied by a wonderful goal by Juan Sebastián Verón? Then in the next season, when Dennis Bergkamp’s first kick in a Cartagonova shirt proved decisive in sinking Barcelona’s hopes of defending their Copa del Rey crown? Cartagonova claimed the Spanish Super Cup earlier this season when despite having Shimon Gershon sent off late in the game and needing to survive a frantic injury time, they ran out winners 2-1 on the night and 3-2 on aggregate?â€

“Well, if you’re a fan of either Cartagonova or Barcelona, sit back and enjoy the next 90 minutes of champagne football from the Copa del Rey. And even if you’re not, you’re sure to find something to enjoy in the feast of goals to come. Now, let’s join your match commentators, Andy Gray and first Ian Helm…â€

“…It hasn’t taken long for Cartagonova to get onto the board! Obviously under instructions from manager, Señor Flatline to get forward at every opportunity to put pressure on Barcelona’s ageing defence, it has come off in the most spectacular fashion! A wonderfully executed team move sees Notman link up with Kokmeijer and the Dutchman fizz a shot into the top corner from 25 yards! … Barcelona is really turning up the heat now. They’ve enjoyed the lion’s share of possession and are camped around Cartagonova’s penalty area. Iván Vidal, the captain of Cartagonova, has pulled off some miraculous saves already to preserve his club’s lead, but this is the moment the Barcelona fans have waited for! Gershon’s clearance fell to Nedved and the Czech found Gerard. Gerard crossed neatly into the box where Kluivert outjumped David Livermore and planted a powerful header beyond Vidal to tie the scores at 1-1 apiece on the night and slash Cartagonova’s aggregate lead to 3-2.â€

“… Just over 34 minutes gone, now, and a corner to Cartagonova, taken by Gustavsson. The Swede slings the ball into the box and there is Lua-Lua, totally unmarked and he scores with a simple header! The Cartagonova bench is delighted with the simplicity of the goal and I think there will be an urgent inquest held into why the former Newcastle forward was left totally alone. Criminal defending there by Barcelona and they were made to pay. This certainly makes their task harder now… Rivaldo! No! What a save by Vidal - he somehow got his fingertips to a blinding drive by the Brazilian and then jumped on the ball before Rivaldo could reach it. A superb double save by Vidal. But his kick has gone astray and Barcelona have possession back. De la Peña finds Nedved, and the Czech has got in behind the Cartagonova defence. This could be dangerous. Nedved finds Kluivert with a superb cross and the Dutch international does the rest. Vidal had no chance of stopping that one and again, we’re tied once more at 2-2 apiece… So, at half-time, the scores are deadlocked at 2-2 apiece, and Andy, we’ve seen a cracking game so far. Your thoughts, and what should both clubs do at the break in order to gain the upper hand in the second half?â€

“…Welcome back to the second half, with the scoresheet reading Barcelona 2, Cartagonova 2. It’s been a great first half, but you sense that Barcelona could move up a notch or two while Cartagonova already is firing on all cylinders. However, it’s been great action and we want it to continue, don’t we Andy? … That’s a poor free kick by Verón, never looked like troubling Vidal and the young keeper quickly has the ball moving with a long goal kick to Kokmeijer. The big striker finds Morán lurking in space in a dangerous position for Barcelona! What a goal that is from the midfielder! He must be at least 30 yards out but it made little difference to him! He just wound up and let fly with a drive that Laínez was absolutely powerless to stop! This makes things interesting now for Barcelona! … Kluivert with the chance for his hat-trick, he finds Nedved on the left. The Czech winger has been dangerous this evening and once again he is alone and given enough time to measure off a cross. It finds Verón steaming into the danger area but Vidal pulls off a spectacular save again. However, it’s all for nought as Kluivert drives the rebound back past the sprawled keeper to seal his hat-trick, and again we’re tied at 3-3 apiece! This game is extraordinary! Cartagonova respond by taking off Gershon and replacing him with Filipescu, but you sense it’s a little bit of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted - Gershon was made to look inept by Kluivert time and again.â€

“… Well, whatever you say about Cartagonova’s defence, their attack is on fire this evening. And they do it with such simple team moves. Livermore’s long pass is well controlled by Lua-Lua, who finds Kokmeijer on the edge of Barcelona’s area. Before Cannavaro can close him down, the Dutchman has the ball at the feet of Notman and the big Scot gleefully smashes it home for his 15th goal of the campaign! The question is, with 26 minutes to play, can Cartagonova hang onto their lead and advance to face Real Vallodolid in the final?â€

“… There’s a feeling that Cartagonova’s shaky defence is again creaking as Barcelona turn up the pressure once more. Filipescu’s hurried clearance is well picked off by Verón and the Argentine seeks out Dani who is left alone as the Cartagonova defenders are drawn to the run made by Kluivert. Dani hits his shot and that is a wonderful goal from the former Spanish international. It makes it 4-4 all on the night, but Barcelona still need two goals if they are to advance to the final. They have 13 minutes plus stoppage time to do it, but you can’t bet against Cartagonova scoring another goal in this fascinating and exciting game… Cartagonova have been suspect at corners and dealing with long crosses, can Barcelona use this to their advantage? Can they ever! It’s a fourth goal to Kluivert and for the first time this evening, the Catalan club hits the lead! A simple goal, really. Rivaldo’s corner is perfectly weighted for Kluivert to out-bustle Ballesteros and his header was perfectly placed to be beyond the reach of Vidal, and with seven minutes to go, it seems like the place in the final is Barcelona’s for the taking…â€

“… Time’s beginning to run out for Barcelona. Vidal’s goal kick is long, but it’s picked up by Gerard, who heads it into the path of Verón. The Argentine seeks out Rivaldo with a fine pass that must be all of 35 yards. Rivaldo is down the left flank here for Barcelona - this poses danger for Cartagonova, they need to deal with him quickly. Rivaldo crosses and what a fantastic overhead bicycle kick by Kluivert! You’ll never see a better technique anywhere! But wait! The Cartagonova players are protesting vehemently to the linesman. Clearly they thought a Barcelona player was off-side. And it appears the linesman is prepared to agree with them! He’s raised his flag and the referee has concurred! Well, this is a turn-up for the books! Now, it’s the turn of the Barcelona players to protest, but the referee is waving them away. He doesn’t want to hear any more about it, and is telling Vidal to get on with the game. We’ll need to look at the replay to determine whether the linesman’s decision was correct… and it is correct. A good call, that one, Andy, don’t you think?â€

“… We’ve had four minutes of stoppage time at the end of the game, and try as they might Barcelona couldn’t get that crucial sixth goal! Vidal stood tall in the end to deny them the opportunity of having a crack at the Copa del Rey and Cartagonova instead will have the opportunity of defending their title against Real Vallodolid, ironically here at the Nou Camp, in ten days’ time. But we’ve had a fantastic evening here in Barcelona. We’ve watched nine goals hit the back of the net. We’ve seen the game ebb and flow in an exciting manner, and we’ve seen Kluivert at his imperious best! But from Andy and myself, Ian Helm, it’s good night!â€

Barcelona (4-3-1-2): Laínez; Zanetti, Pablo Paz, Cannavaro, Thuram; Nedved, Gerard ©, De la Peña (Verón 46); Rivaldo; Alfonso (Dani 53), Kluivert.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Gershon (Filipescu 57), Ballesteros, Lacruz; Gustavsson; Michel, Lua-Lua; Morán; Notman, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Barcelona 5:4 Cartagonova

Aggregate: Cartagonova 6:6 Barcelona (Cartagonova advance on away goals rule)

MoM - Patrick Kluivert

There must be a God. That’s all I can say. I thought we were done for when Kluivert scored what would have been his fifth goal of the game. I was sure that the referee would point to the centre circle and that would have been that, as far as our hopes for reaching the Copa del Rey final were concerned. But instead, God smiled upon us and granted us the opportunity of playing Real Vallodolid in front of 90,000 spectators to win our second consecutive Copa del Rey. After the game, I have a few quiet words in the shell-like of Gershon. His poor performance - failing to make any of his six attempted tackles - no doubt gave Kluivert the freedom and the confidence he needed to exploit that freedom which caused us so much trouble. It’s wonderful watching these games, but I never, ever want to take part in one of them again as a manager. But I’m proud of the boys today. What a sterling effort from all of them. It also earns a little piece of history in Cartagonova’s past - it’s the highest scoring game we’ve played since I arrived at the club six seasons ago.

And guess what? In two days’ time, we face them again at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena in the league!

There’s bad news for Spanish football, however, as Athletic Bilbao crash 2-0 to Panathinaikos in the UEFA Cup final held in Vienna. Mark Viduka and an Óskar Vales own goal sealed Bilbao’s fate.

Alex Notman’s consistently excellent performances for us has earned him some column inches in the Spanish press, as a respected former striker (not Romário!) calls him a ‘goal machine’ earning the respect of his opponents throughout Spain for putting the round ball in the back of the net. I of course totally agree with his assessment of Notman’s performances.

While Barcelona and my club were going at it hammer and tongs to find out who will face Real Vallodolid, they have their own little situation now, as Real Madrid hires their manager, a Señor César García García to run the giant capital club.

19th of May 2006

Primera Liga - Game 37: Cartagonova v Barcelona

Just two days after we fought out that epic battle in the Copa del Rey’s semi-final, we’re back at home to host the champion of Spain in a meaningless top of the table clash. And after the high-intensity match two days ago, it’s little wonder that this match barely has any life in it, particularly from our side. We should have been helped by the dismissal of youngster José De la Rosa on 39 minutes, but we don’t take advantage of our numerical supremacy and a goal three minutes after half-time to Javier Zanetti proves too much for us. I’m disappointed and indeed a little angry with how my defence played (particularly Lacruz, who has lost confidence in himself, and Gustavsson), while my forwards were left inexcusably to fend for themselves with little help from midfield. And this was Fernando Morán’s 150th league appearance for Cartagonova, the first player wearing our colours to achieve that milestone. Not a happy day for him or the team.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Gershon, Ballesteros, Lacruz; Lua-Lua, Gustavsson (Gavião 49), Clegg; Morán; Notman, Redondo.

Barcelona (4-3-2-1): Laínez; Sergi, Thuram, Cannavaro, Zanetti; De la Rosa, Astudillo, Gerard ©; Verón, Dani; Kluivert (Alfonso 21 (Ortega 34)).

Final score: Cartagonova 0:1 Barcelona

MoM - César Laínez

20th of May 2006

Celta Vigo return with exactly the same bid as before for Sabino. I tell them again that I want £5 million now and £1 million more if he plays 10 league games.

21st of May 2006

Primera Liga - Game 38: Numancia v Cartagonova

The jaded approach many of my first choice players take towards training on the weekend suggest that they are not up for the last game of the league season, so I make wholesale changes in order to freshen up the squad to play Numancia in Soria. It’s pretty hard when the Spanish FA expect us to play Barcelona at home on Friday night and then spend most of Saturday travelling to Soria to play another match the next Sunday! But that is what they expect of us, so we go and do it without complaining (well just amongst ourselves). In the end, it probably would have been better if we had stayed at home, because we played like we wished we were a thousand miles away from Soria. Numancia were really unlucky, hitting the bar on numerous occasions before their captain, Carlos Martins, broke through on 69 minutes. Perhaps we should have had an equaliser - Lord knows we had sufficient chances to get one, but our finishing was woeful and we deserved what we got from the game - nothing. I’m just glad to be back on the bus on the way home and knowing it’s another six days before we’re expected in Barcelona for the Copa del Rey final.

Numancia (4-5-1): Núñez; Gustavo, Rivas, Babangida (Juanma 63), Curro Montoya; Pepe Cancela, Rúa, Carlos Martins ©, Gorka, Acuña; Óscar (Ribeiro 69).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Filipescu (Jaliens 67), Ballesteros, Laurie; Gavião; Salas, Vucko; Rivera; Redondo (Esposito 83), Sabino.

Final score: Numancia 1:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Ãlvaro Núñez

So, that concludes our league campaign on a sour note, and it leaves us trailing twenty points behind Barcelona, the champion of Spain once again. This gulf in class between Barcelona and the rest is ridiculous, and there is a further seven points back to Celta Vigo, who also collapsed in a heap when it realised it couldn’t get to second place:

For finishing second, we receive £4.8 million from the Spanish FA. Hopefully the board will realise that our ability to clamber past clubs like Barcelona depends upon having better training facilities and a bigger stadium, so this money should be earmarked for infrastructure improvements. But if I know the board, that won’t happen any time soon.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Excellent as usual, are you continuing with the story Dixie?

I sure hope so because i cant wait to see Cartogonava (spelling)grow into a great side and challenge Barca.

Keep Smiling Dixie icon_wink.gif

Yep, grady60! I'll continue this story for a while. I'm too poor to invest in a copy of the new CM game, so I'm going to keep plodding away with Cartagonova, trying to break the monopoly Barcelona has on Spanish football. We seem to be going okay when in the cup competition, but Barcelona usually only loses three or four times a season, if that, which makes it difficult to overtake them in the title race. We have to learn how to beat them home and away if we are to give ourselves a chance.

Dixie

There isn't long to go now to finish the sixth season of this riveting adventure!

The other leagues have also been decided by this weekend. In England, Manchester United edged out Tottenham Hotspurs by goal difference in the tightest finish to the title in years. Both clubs ended up with 20 wins, 8 draws and 10 losses, but Manchester United’s superior strike force - 80 goals in 38 games, compared to Spurs’ 69 goals in 38 games - proved the difference. Interestingly, three clubs all had the chance of winning the title. Manchester United travelled to Bradford on the last weekend in the league, while Spurs took on cross-town rival West Ham United, who needed a victory and Bradford to defeat Manchester United to successfully defend its title. However, Manchester United prevailed 4-3 at Valley Parade, so Spurs’ 2-1 victory over West Ham proved academic in the end. It is the best farewell present that departing keeper Fabien Barthez and veteran midfielder Roy Keane could wish for. Barthez will join Glasgow Rangers after the World Cup and Keane goes to Marseille on a free transfer after he completes his World Cup duties with Ireland. At the other end of the table, Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Brentford return to the Nationwide Division. Sheffield Wednesday, as champion, and Sheffield United won automatic promotion, while the playoff at Wembley sees Luton and Southampton clash for that third promotion spot.

The Scudetto in Italy sees Fiorentina claim its second title in three seasons after it finished three points clear of Roma. Inter Milan and Parma finished two points further back. Cesena, Treviso, Foggia and Empoli are all relegated back to Serie B. Pistoiese, Verona and Ternana are guaranteed promotion to top flight football, but despite finishing in the fourth promotion place, Brescia’s place in Serie A next season is under some question after financial inquiries instituted by the Italian FA found that Brescia is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and may not last until the beginning of the new season.

Porto wrapped up the title in Portugal quite comfortably in the end, finishing nine points clear of Salgueiros, with Marítimo another eight points back. Imortal, Aves and Alverca will need to adjust to life in the second division next season. Beira-Mar, as champion, Estoril and Sporting Clube Pombal will participate in top flight football next season.

22nd of May 2006

It would make sense that being promoted, Atlético Madrid would look for defenders to help stabilise their position in the Primera Liga next season. I hardly played Iulian Filipescu this season, so the newspaper journalists connect the dots and find that Atlético Madrid should sign Iulian Filipescu for £1.2 million. When one of these intrepid wordsmiths contacts me for a quote about this emerging story, I decide to vent my feelings. I’ve felt for a long time now that Filipescu is no longer of the quality requisite to remain in the Cartagonova squad and I was about to transfer list him anyway. So I decide to cultivate this rumour and hope that Atlético Madrid, or any other club for that matter, takes the bait.

Celta Vigo does not like the terms I named for Sabino, so they pull out of the deal.

José Manuel Redondo finishes his season prematurely when he wrenches his knee in training this evening. He be unfit for three weeks, which means that he is now ruled out for the Copa del Rey final against Real Vallodolid on the weekend.

As I predicted, the end of the season brings bad tidings to Mallorca’s manager, Señor Juande Ramos who joins Vicente del Bosque on the employment queues after his boss, Señor Mateo Alemany, fires him. Mallorca finished fifteenth in the league, which isn’t good enough for the board of directors.

24th of May 2006

Paris-Saint-Germain brings the European Champions’ League trophy to France for the first time since 1993 after they defeated Spain’s Celta Vigo 2-0 in the Estádio Nacional in Lisbon. Celta Vigo’s left-back Juan Pablo Sorín was sent off on 37 minutes for a poor two-footed tackle on Sylvain Wiltord, and Montella converted the penalty. Nicolas Anelka finished off Celta Vigo with a great goal on 68 minutes. It is the first time PSG has won the Champions’ League.

25th of May 2006

My personal assistant is busy today fielding calls from various country managers who want to call up Cartagonova players to represent the various nations involved in the World Cup. Mr Louis Gaal finally heeds the call of the Dutch media and includes Niels Kokmeijer and Kew Jaliens in the Dutch squad. It’s the first time Niels has been included in a Dutch squad, but he will find it difficult to oust the first-choice strike force of Ruud van Nistelrooy and Patrick Kluivert. But as one of only three out-and-out strikers, he has a good chance of stepping out on football’s greatest stage.

Despite having an injury ravaged season, which was poor compared to the season before, Jurica Vucko still receives the call-up to the Croat squad for their World Cup campaign. No doubt the Croat manager hopes he finds the back of the net in the World Cup, if he is to partner either Goran Vlaovic or Alen Peternac up front. Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua is recalled to the Democratic Republic of Congo squad for the first time this season, and there is a good chance he will face off against Vucko since the Congans and Croatia are in the same group.

He isn’t strictly yet a Cartagonova player, but Cafú will join Cartagonova after the World Cup as he is selected by Brazil. Unfortunately, Brazil decides to take only one specialist anchor midfielder, and it is not Gavião.

Unfortunately, Ballesteros will only journey to Germany as a spectator as Señor Javier Clemente decides to leave him out of the Spanish squad. However, I’m contacted by the Spanish FA and I have been officially invited to assist Señor Clemente at the World Cup. Hence, I have to cancel my holiday plans because I will be going to the World Cup on business! icon_smile.gif I think to myself that perhaps the Spanish FA is scouting me as the new national manager if and when Señor Clemente decides to leave the role… icon_wink.gif

27th of May 2006

Copa del Rey - Final: Real Vallodolid v Cartagonova

“… Welcome to our live coverage of the Copa del Rey final. For the next hour, we will review how both clubs, Real Vallodolid and Cartagonova, reached the final of the Spanish Cup, and we will preview with our panel of experts on Spanish football, how today’s final will proceed. So, we begin first with a recap on how Real Vallodolid reached the final. They began with a home game in the first round against fellow Segunda Liga club Compostela. It might have been a tough match but four goals eased Real Vallodolid over the first hurdle. Real Vallodolid then encountered Primera Liga competition in the second round when they hosted Villarreal. Despite having Yugoslav midfielder Slobodan Komljenovic sent off on 85 minutes, they still won the game 2-1 although Jesuli made them sweat when he pulled the game back to 2-1 late in the game. Another Segunda Liga club awaited them in the third round - Sabadell was the club that Real Vallodolid needed to defeat to reach the quarter finals. And in the first leg, Real Vallodolid needed to come from behind after Vlado Schmidt scored right on half-time. But two goals in seven minutes and a red card to Sabadell’s Culebras turned the tie around and in the second leg, Real Vallodolid dealt comfortably with Sabadell, winning the reverse tie 3-1 and taking the round 5-2 on aggregate. The quarter-final stage saw Real Vallodolid paired with Sporting Gijón. A single Diego Camacho goal on 4 minutes set up the return leg in Gijón nicely. In the return leg, a Francisco Guerrero hat-trick and a goal to Fernando Salas guaranteed Vallodolid’s passage to the semi-finals, as Real Vallodolid won 4-3 on the night and 5-3 on aggregate. In the semi-final stage, Real Vallodolid met last season’s runners-up, Real Betis, and once again the first leg was at Vallodolid. Txomin Nagore’s 80th minute goal to put the scores at 2-1 gave Real Betis hope that they could once again participate in the final of the Copa del Rey. However, Real Vallodolid again won a high-scoring affair 3-2 to advance into the final 5-3 on aggregate.â€

“The defending titleholder, Cartagonova, was not required to compete in the first round of the Copa del Rey, and in the second round, they travelled to Segunda Liga B club Zamora. On this occasion, Cartagonova triumphed easily, winning 3-0. That put Cartagonova into the third round where they faced Mallorca. In the first leg, three first-half goals were too much for Mallorca, although Michel’s 84th minute goal gave them a faint flicker of hope. However, this hope was crushed by Cartagonova as Alex Notman scored a hat-trick and Niels Kokmeijer another goal to defeat Mallorca 4-1 on the night and 7-2 on aggregate. That booked them a clash with Deportivo La Coruña in the quarter-finals, where they built up a 3-0 lead inside the first 23 minutes only to see Deportivo pull two goals back in the second half to balance the tie on a knife’s edge. However, Cartagonova’s defensive tactics in the second leg at La Riazor saw them draw 1-1 on the night. Reaching the semi-finals paired Cartagonova with Barcelona, and the two great rivals had a classic of football in the second leg.â€

“Three days after losing to Barcelona 4-2 in the league, Cartagonova hosted the Catalan club in Cartagena. Dani gave the visitors the lead on 31 minutes, but two goals from José Redondo meant that Cartagonova travelled to Barcelona with a 2-1 lead. What followed was a game that will be discussed and remembered for a long time to come.â€

“Cartagonova opened the scoring after just 45 seconds of football when Niels Kokmeijer blasted a drive into the net. However, Barcelona through Patrick Kluivert equalised on 25 yards, but Cartagonova again pulled ahead when Lua-Lua scored on 34 minutes. But Cartagonova’s defence was unable to contain Kluivert and the Dutchman again equalised for Barcelona just two minutes later. Fernando Morán scored Cartagonova’s third goal on 54 minutes, but once again Cartagonova’s defence failed to hold Kluivert and three minutes Barcelona was level as the Dutchman celebrated his hat-trick. However, Cartagonova still wasn’t finished and Alex Notman scored to make it 4-3 on the night and 6-4 on aggregate after 64 minutes. Yet Cartagonova’s defence could only withstand the Barcelona onslaught for another 13 minutes, as Dani scored to make it 4-4 and give Barcelona the chance to outscore Cartagonova and reach the Copa del Rey final. When Kluivert scored his fourth goal of the evening to make it 5-4, Barcelona had one foot in the final. Five minutes later, the mercurial Dutchman had the ball in the net one more time, but to the delight of the travelling band of Cartagonova supporters, his goal was chalked off for off-side and Cartagonova withstood the remainder of the game to sneak into the final 6-6 on aggregate and via the away goals rule.â€

“It was a tremendous match, and it obviously knocked the stuffing out of Cartagonova as they still had two league games to come to finish the season, and they would be played over a two-day period. Cartagonova lost both games 1-0, to Barcelona and Numancia, to finish 20 points behind Barcelona, the champion of Spain. To make things worse, Michel is out through suspension, while José Redondo will miss the game through injury. It is likely that Ramón Salas, who started for Cartagonova against Numancia in the final league game of the season, will replace Michel on the left, while Kokmeijer is likely to come into the side. The question is whether Sabino will continue in the first eleven, or whether Alex Notman will be drafted into the starting eleven.â€

“Cartagonova’s strength obviously lies in midfield and attack. Fernando Morán has scored 24 goals in all competitions - a goals tally that many strikers would do well to reach. Even Gavião, the anchor midfielder in Cartagonova’s defensive formation, has scored seven times this season. Notman has scored 15 times this season since his mid-winter move to Cartagonova from VfB Stuttgart, while Niels Kokmeijer has 26 goals to his credit this season. But Cartagonova’s Achilles heel is their defence. They have one of the poorest defences in the competition - although conceding five goals against Barcelona will not help that statistic - and the manager, Señor Flatline has continually juggled his back four in order to find the right combination. Real Vallodolid’s best chance is to strike early and defend desperately…â€

It’s the champion of the Segunda Liga against the runners-up of the Primera Liga, so this should be a good game but we should prevail in the end. But like all cup competitions, the form book doesn’t always run true. So I’m disappointed to see Real Vallodolid justify the predictions of the television experts when Peña converts a free kick after Kew Jaliens commits a stupid foul on Djokaj. But our much-vaunted strike force swings into action and Niels Kokmeijer gives Vallodolid a warning of what may come on 13 minutes when he heads Morán’s cross wide of the mark. Two minutes later, and he is on target. Picking up Morán’s flick-on, he nutmegs García Calvo and then drives a shot towards Real Vallodolid’s goal. It ripples the back of the net and we’re back on level terms.

On the half-hour mark, I burst out of my seat on the bench again to celebrate Fernando Morán’s 25th goal of the season, only to be cut short by the referee, who claims that Morán handballed on the way to scoring from 35 yards. I argue vehemently with the fourth official, who feels the full force of my voice in his eardrums, but of course it does nothing to change the referee’s mind, and we enter the half still locked at 1-1 apiece. However, Real Vallodolid seem to be defending to reach penalties, and it isn’t until the 58th minute that they threaten Vidal’s goal again. Ballesteros fouls Guerrero and Fernando Sales tries his luck from the set piece, but our captain does well to tip the shot aside.

With 20 minutes left to play, I almost think we have it won but Niels Kokmeijer drags his shot wide of the mark and I’m left to kick the chair in frustration. We then go a shade of varnish close to conceding a second time when Camacho beats Vidal with an excellent header but it hits the outside of the post and runs away for a fortunate goal kick. It proves decisive as Vidal’s long goal kick is picked up by Morán and the midfielder decides now is the time to showcase his close control skills. He takes the ball inside the box, skipping past challenges and weaving his way through the close-packed defence before letting fly with an unstoppable drive! icon_biggrin.gif Again, we’re made to sweat when on 87 minutes Vallodolid has one last shot at equalising. But again Camacho’s low drive hits the post! icon_smile.gif After three minutes of injury time, the referee blows time to finish the season 2005/06 and we quickly assemble to collect our trophy! icon_biggrin.gif

Real Vallodolid (3-1-3-1-2): César; Hajszan, Peña, García Calvo; Vicente; Djokaj (Marcos 55), Komljenovic (Camacho 16), Ibarra; Fernando Sales; Guerrero, Juan González (Amieva 55).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Gershon, Ballesteros, Jaliens; Gavião; Salas, Lua-Lua (Clegg 68); Morán; Notman, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Real Vallodolid 1:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Shimon Gershon

So, after locking away another Copa del Rey trophy in the expanding trophy room, I retire to my office for a couple of drinks with my staff, and reminisce about the season that has just finished. We relive the best times and think over the worst times. It is a time for reflection, as we talk about what we might have done to turn some of those losses into draws, and the draws into victories. There is optimistic for the planning and some goodnatured ribbing on who will win the World Cup. Then, there is the serious review of each player in the squad, and a considered analysis by my assistant and all my coaches on how each performed. Finally, I require from all of them an opinion on whether the given player should stay at the club for another season or be listed in order to leave the club.

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (27 y/o, ESP, GK - 186(1) apps, 223 conceded, 17 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32): 65 apps, 76 conceded, 6 MoMs, av. rating: 7.46: Likely now to be the first player to 200 appearances with the club, I thought at one stage that this would be his best season with the club. However, he was beaten a few times too many towards the end of the season - including that memorable Barcelona match - to really consider this his best season at the club. But now that he is 27 years old, and having played four seasons of football with us (he joined us five seasons ago, but sat on the bench to understudy Veiga), I think he is growing accustomed to the growing responsibility that is thrust upon him. I would have to say that despite the small media campaign to get him into the Spanish squad, I don’t think he will ever play for his country. Still, I’m very happy to have him between the posts for this club and he is an excellent club servant.

José Francisco Belman (34 y/o, ESP, GK - 1 app, 0 conceded, av. rating: 8.00): 1 app, 0 conceded, av. rating: 8.00: The new boy only played one game - our first Copa del Rey fixture - as I decided to rest Vidal for this game. He didn’t distinguish himself but performed competently enough to suggest that he will remain as the back-up to Vidal next season.

Joaquín Moso (27 y/o, ESP, GK - 1(3) apps, 1 conceded, av. rating: 7.50): 0 apps: Didn’t make an appearance this season and will not renegotiate a new contract with the club. Therefore, he will leave during the summer and be replaced by Christoffer Källkvist.

Defenders

Fernando Sanz (21 y/o, ESP, 2 Olympic caps, SW/D RC - 2(4) apps, av. rating: 6.17): 2(4) apps, av. rating: 6.17: I have to say, I thought he would play a lot better than he did when given the opportunity. He then chucked a wobbly when I refused to consider an offer from Real Betis for his services and has since become unhappy with the club and particularly unhappy with me. Still, I think that he has some potential and I’m willing to persevere him - so long as his attitude improves over the course of next season.

Juan Carlos Castro (19 y/o, ESP, 1 Olympic cap, SW/D C - 0 apps): 0 apps: Still learning his trade on the training track, I will begin to introduce him to competitive football next season in order to push him into the next stage of his career. If he fails to make the grade, then he will be on his way. I’m worried that his tackling and passing aren’t showing much signs of improvement, and if he wants to have a future at my club, he will need to work a lot on those areas of his game.

Iulian Filipescu (32 y/o, ROM 46 caps, 1 goal, SW/D/DM C - 67(14) apps, 10 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.73): 9(2) apps, 3 goals, av. rating: 6.55: Unfortunately, I have to come to the conclusion that Iulian is no longer the player he was when I bought him and that it would serve both our purposes if he was allowed to leave to pursue his football career elsewhere. He performed quite well in the continental game, but his league form was shocking and does not merit him staying in the squad. He is likely to be transfer listed sooner rather than later.

Shimon Gershon (28 y/o, ISR, 32 caps, 4 goals, SW/D/S C - 45(4) apps, 2 goals, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29): For £2 million plus Fernando Couto, I would have to say that I’ve picked up a good buy from Osasuna. He gave me no trouble at all, but instead was a pillar at the centre of defence - when he was fit. I hope that he does stay out of injury trouble next season, because I need him to be right there in the trenches as we continue the fight against Barcelona. Averaging 4.2 tackles/game, he is definitely a player who doesn’t shirk a physical challenge, and he manages to complete 78% of his attempted passes, so he is a well-rounded player. I like him.

Alan Stubbs (34 y/o, ENG, SW/D C - 4(3) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.28): 1 app, av. rating: 7.00: I would have liked to keep him at the club for another season, since he is still a good defender and I believe that he would have been good for the youngsters that we are bringing through our system. Unfortunately, he decided that first team football is still important to him at this point in his career and decided that moving to Tenerife would serve his purposes better than remaining at Cartagonova until his playing career is finished. We wish him good luck.

Ballesteros (30 y/o, ESP, D/DM RC - 151(1) apps, 6 goals, 8 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.08): 63 apps, 3 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.25: This was his best season, and I were him, I’d be very unhappy that I didn’t have tickets to join the Spanish squad at the World Cup. Señor Javier Clemente included him in a few squads through the season, but decided in the end not to take him to the competition. He was pursued very vigorously by several of the ‘big-name’ clubs, and is still a little unhappy with me that I have decided to hang onto him for the time being. I used him in a variety of positions, but I still like him at right back, although he tells me he prefers to play at centre-half. No matter - his versatility is part of his attraction to me.

Kew Jaliens (27 y/o, NED 6 caps, D RC - 48(9) apps, 1 goal, 7 assists, av. rating: 6.77): 24(6) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, av. rating: 6.73: For a person with all the right attributes in all the right places, I am disappointed slightly in his contribution to the team. I think it has something to do with consistency, because four games out of five, he will perform competently or better, but in the fifth game, he will be diabolical and cost us a lot down the right of defence. That is why I’m reluctant to try him at the centre of defence. However, Mr Louis van Gaal still sees a lot of value in him, so he will be going to the World Cup to represent the Netherlands. Good luck to him, I say.

José María Lacruz (28 y/o, ESP, D RL - 125(4) apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.68): 44(1) apps, 2 goals, av. rating: 6.73: He played well in patches for the club, but I’m always a little reluctant to play him week-in, week-out, since like Kew Jaliens, he is vulnerable to a shocking loss of consistency and that can cost us a lot. Nevertheless, he is still a valuable contributor to the club’s cause and I believe that he has more of that to come for the club. But, he better watch himself, otherwise he will not be no longer a required player any longer.

Carl Laurie 23 y/o, ENG, D/DM RLC - 1(11) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.42): 1(11) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.42: I look forward to the time when he is matured and experienced enough in Spanish culture to take his rightful place in the first eleven. In those mainly substitute appearances, he showed sufficient glimpses of quality to suggest that the £1.2 million we invested in him to bring him from Ipswich to Cartagena will pay off handsomely. Gifted on the ball, but not frightened to get down ‘n’ dirty, he is a player who suits my style of play very well and hopefully he will improve the performance of our defence in a few seasons. I’m going to keep an eye on him, and I suggest we all do!

Curro Torres (29 y/o, ESP, D/DM L - 15(2) apps, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.71): 1 app, av. rating: 6.00: On the other hand, this is one player who may well leave the club in the next few weeks. His only appearance - in a Champions’ League match - was not impressive and he needs to push past players like Livermore, Laurie and Lacruz to even have a crack at playing a game for the club. At 29, his career is only going backwards and I think that it would be better for both parties if he finds his way somewhere else.

David Livermore (26 y/o, ENG, D/DM LC - 53(7) apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.93): 38(6) apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.91: Was a solid contributor thoughout the season, although he did lose his way slightly towards the end of it. Needs to do a little more to earn a single digit number on his back, but I think he is well on the way to cementing for himself a place in the first eleven. A no-nonsense defender, he typifies the stereotypical Millwall defender in that he takes no prisoners and is happy to bulldoze his way through the opponents to get the ball away from Vidal and our goal. Further, he picked up some confidence in himself and his teammates to embark on some long dribbles to lash home a few goals of the club, which is always handy! I like his style, and I’m sure that he will return bigger and better to the club next season.

Óscar Ãlvarez (28 y/o, ESP, D C - 121(4) apps, 4 goals, 2 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 6.94): 38(1) apps, 1 goal, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.82: Unfortunately, unable to partake in the entire season mainly through injury, I still regard him as one of my first choice centre-halves and at every opportunity, I paired him up with Shimon Gershon. They worked well together and I think that if I manage to get a full season’s work out of both of them next season, we would be very grateful to them by the end of it. He is tough and on most occasions, loves to give one hundred per cent to our cause. Unfortunately for his previous employer, Ourense, they seriously overestimated his ability, however - he is not good enough to play for his country. But he still has a place with us at Cartagonova, regardless.

Axel Wingård (25 y/o, SWE, D C - 17(2) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.89): 3(1) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.50: The first of our small but growing Swedish contingent, he has not played much since he lost his confidence in his first season with the club. But he is still a good player in his own right and I’m sure that when called upon he will perform to the best of his considerable abilities. However, I don’t think he is quite good enough now to break into the first eleven on a regular basis, and for that he may come to resent me. Already he is showing signs that he does not think he should be at this club after I rejected a bid for him earlier in the season. Attitude problems are things that I deal with harshly at this club, so he had better straighten up if he wants to keep plugging away at a spot in the first eleven.

Midfielders

Gavião (26 y/o, BRA, DM C - 64(2) apps, 13 goals, 11 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29): 42(2) apps, 7 goals, 8 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32: Showed that his first half season with us back in 2004/05 was no fluke as he built upon that success and then added some more. Scoring seven goals from the middle of midfield is an excellent achievement, but couple that with the fact that he averaged 4.7 tackles/game in situations where I ask him to man the midfield defences often by himself, then you’ll see that his contributions to the team’s success over the season have been excellent. He is our number one ‘Roy Keane’ type midfielder and I’m disappointed for him that he will not go to the World Cup with Brazil as competitor. Big games seem to bring out the best in him, so I’m sure he would have done well. Instead, he has the opportunity to rest up and relax over the summer break and continue his great form for us in 2006/07.

Kenneth Gustavsson (23 y/o, SWE 12 caps, 1 goal, D/DM C - 19(5) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63): 19(5) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63: For £4 million, I don’t think our Swede has paid off his transfer fee just yet. I have to admit that I’m a little disappointed in how he went this season. He did not seem quite accustomed to the way Spanish clubs play their football and just enough times to be disconcerting, he was found out by his opponents. But he is still young and there is time for him to grow into the role. Getting a grip on the culture in Spain seems to be important for foreign players to adjust and realise their full potential, so I hope that has Kenneth’s understanding of his environment improves, so will his football. It had better because if I’m forced to sell him, I hope it is not at too much of a loss.

Pablo Box (27 y/o, ESP, M RC - 20(15) apps, 7 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 6.94): 0 apps: Unfortunately for both parties, Pablo’s career at Cartagonova ends not in a bang but a whimper as he moves to the Segunda Liga B with Gimnástica. However, we have to face facts, and the facts of the matter are that he is not a Primera Liga player. We should have heeded the experiences of Villarreal with him, but the lure of bringing back a home-grown hero proved too much for me and I fell for the deal hook, line and sinker. We’ve both paid a price for that, and we wish Pablo the best of luck resurrecting his career away from the pressures of living in the fishbowl that is Cartagena.

George Clegg (25 y/o, ENG, AM/F RC - 57(16) apps, 17 goals, 11 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.11): 34(11) apps, 10 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.22: Forced to adjust to playing in a new position, and even sometimes off the bench, George did well this season to play as many times as he did. Not only that, he also played very well and I’m glad to say that he will figure large in my plans for the next few seasons. He is fully comfortable living in Spain and I stand by my theory that once the import is settled in Spain, he can begin performing towards his full potential - George is the proof of that hypothesis. Of course, this is no time to be sitting on his laurels and I expect him to come out bigger and better next season.

Congratulations on a fine season Dixie, have you any funds to strengthen the team in the pre-season and who have you got your eye on?

How do you cope with 13 defenders all vying for position?

Anyway, well done m8!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grady60:

Congratulations on a fine season Dixie, have you any funds to strengthen the team in the pre-season and who have you got your eye on?

How do you cope with 13 defenders all vying for position?

Anyway, well done m8!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much grady60! icon_smile.gif I certainly do have plenty of funds to strengthen the team, but now it's a question of picking the right players to bring into the squad in order to bridge that gulf between ourselves and Barcelona. To tell you the truth, I'm still looking very hard for players to sign on board, and I really don't have any concrete targets just yet.

When you whittle out the two youngsters (Castro and Sanz) and realise that Filipescu will be lucky to get a game under my reign from now on, that means there are 10 defenders available to pick from. At some stage or another, at least one or two of them are injured or suspended, so I'm down to 8. Players like Óscar Ãlvarez and Axel WingÃ¥rd are only capable of playing in one position, while I believe others are only suited to one side of the defence although they can play elsewhere, so in the end, my choice isn't as broad as it initially looks!

The squad analysis continues! And, if we're lucky, we might take a trip to Germany to watch the World Cup!

Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua (25, DCO 6 caps, 2 goals, AM/F RLC - 33(7) apps, 5 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.80): 33(7) apps, 5 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.80: Arrived from Newcastle with a sizable reputation and by and large he lived up to it. Began the season as back-up to Jurica Vucko, but the Croat’s persistent injury problems saw the Congan midfielder win a regular spot in the eleven and led to his recall to the Democratic Republic of Congo squad going to the World Cup in a few weeks. But I would prefer that he creates more opportunities for his strikers than just the two assists in the league and one in the European Champions’ League. So I’m satisfied with his work so far for the club, but I’m not entirely enthused by him just yet.

Paulo Miranda (27, ARG, AM RLC - 26(18) apps, 6 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.16): 1 app, av. rating: 8.00: I’m sorry I’m going to lose Paulo, as he is a good, handy midfielder to have in the squad. At least, however, I’m going to recoup my money on him as I’m selling him to River Plate for £1.2 million. I wish though, he had negotiated a new contract with us.

Fernando Morán (29 y/o, ESP, AM RLC, 180(13) apps, 67 goals, 43 assists, 12 MoMs, av. rating: 7.33): 46(5) apps, 25 goals, 12 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.43: This was his best season by far for a long time, not the least of which scoring 18 goals in the league, the same amount of goals as Niels Kokmeijer, leaving them both equal fifth in the Primera Liga along with Patrick Kluivert, and six goals behind top scorer Pedro Adrián Guede. Along the way, he also broke Fernando Couto’s league appearance record and is now the first Cartagonova player to ever reach 150 league appearances for the club. He is well-liked by everybody at the club and is often one of the most popular players after the training sessions. Thinking back, I think the turning point came when he scored four goals in one match against Villarreal in the league. From that time, he was unstoppable. I kept waiting for the bubble to burst, but it never did, and for that I’m grateful. He is now a leading player at the club and he is one of the pillars upon which our success is based.

Ramón Salas (21 y/o, ESP 1 Olympic cap, AM R/L - 2(3) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.60): 2(3) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.60: I only gave him limited opportunities to showcase his talents, but when he did appear for the club, I thought he did quite well. I see him as the long-term replacement for Michel, who is now on the wrong side of 30. Therefore, I believe that our investment in training him to make full use of his qualities will hopefully pay off in the future.

Jurica Vucko (29 y/o, HSV 18 caps, AM/F RC - 62(18) apps, 5 goals, 16 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 6.84): 18(11) apps, 1 goal, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.62: Unfortunately for the Croat international, injury robbed him of any continuity this season and as a result, his standing in the squad fell behind George Clegg and Lua-Lua. But I’m willing to give the talented midfielder another chance next season and I think that if he can recapture the form from 2004/05, then we will be very happy.

Andrés Mendoza (28 y/o, PER 53 caps, 8 goals, AM/F LC - 13(6) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.79): 13(6) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.79: I never intended him to be more than cover for Michel and in the end, that is what he contributed to the team over the course of the season. Played 11 times for his country, which is almost as many times as he started for my club! icon_smile.gif He was an adequate cover for Michel, but he is no more than that, in the end.

Michel (30 y/o, ESP, AM L - 181(8) apps, 28 goals, 44 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.19): 50(1) apps, 8 goals, 12 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.14: Like Fernando Morán, this was one of Michel’s best seasons since he joined Cartagonova. His strength lay in creating opportunities for other players to exploit, and despite the arrivals of other wingers at the club, he remains my number one left-sided midfielder for the foreseeable future. But he also contributed with his own goals, scoring eight in all competitions for the season. I want him to continue his good form next season, obviously, but as he enters the thirties, I’m keeping my eyes peeled for his natural successor. But he is so innately creative and now has sufficient experience in my playing styles that he is normally a certainty for the starting position on the left wing. He is also in one of those select players nearing 200 appearances in all competitions for the club, so his experience is now a prized commodity at the club.

Juan Eduardo Esnáider (33 y/o, ARG 2 caps, 1 goal, AM/F C - 19(8) apps, 8 goals, 7 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.52): 0 apps: I did not play him at all this season, and he is about to leave on a free transfer after we could not come to a mutual agreement on a contract extension. His major assets now are his strength and aerial ability, plus he can still strike a mean free kick, so he should be a good capture for a lower league club.

Forwards

Mauro Esposito (26 y/o, ITA 1 cap, AM/F LC - 18(16) apps, 10 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.92): 0(5) apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 6.60: Mauro performed moderately well from very limited appearances off the bench, but he is still rather young and he will have the chance to improve his lot at the club in the future. His biggest failing, and what keeps him out of the playing squad on a regular basis, is his poor passing ability, but I cannot question his ability with the ball at his feet, nor his talent for finding the back of the net. I still think I can find some uses for him next season, so he won’t be going anywhere - unless the right price comes in for him.

Dennis Bergkamp (37 y/o, NED 79 caps, 38 goals, AM/F C - 0(2) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 8.00): 0 apps: Not used in a playing capacity this season and in a way, I hope he retires from professional football, because I’m paying him £8,500/week to engage in some light training once in a while. Approaching his late thirties, there is no real chance of him ever playing a game again for my club, but I can’t quite bring myself to the brink of telling him that he is surplus to requirements. Hopefully, though, he sees the light and bows out gracefully from football in the near future.

Alex Notman (26 y/o, SCO 11 caps, 6 goals, AM/F C - 23(4) apps, 15 goals, 12 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 8.04): 23(4) apps, 15 goals, 12 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 8.04: Paying VfB Stuttgart £3.1 million for the Scottish international is up there with the best deals I’ve conducted in my time as the manager of Cartagonova. Right from the get-go, he performed like he had played for the club for years and it showed when it came to looking at his statistics. Fifteen goals from 23(4) appearances suggests that he is a predatory, prolific striker, but further, his twelve assists shows that he is an unselfish striker at that. I look forward to the time when he can properly converse with his teammates and he puts himself forward as the successor to José Manuel Redondo for the No. 9 shirt.

Alberto Rivera (28 y/o, ESP, AM/F C - 51(3) apps, 15 goals, 12 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32): 11(3) apps, 5 goals, 4 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29: During the first third of the season, Alberto was the man to lead our strike force as he filled in for the injured Redondo. But he began to lose his way and our form correspondingly suffered without a striker delivering the goals. But as the other players rediscovered the happy knack of hitting the back of the net, Alberto’s chances of playing regularly nosedived and at the moment, he really needs to convince me that he is up to the task of playing consistently well week in and week out for me to give him a chance without injuries to other strikers. Nevertheless, he is still a very handy back-up striker and I’m sure that he will at some stage in the next season have the opportunity to display his talents again.

Niels Kokmeijer (26 y/o, NED, S C - 100(5) apps, 44 goals, 34 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 7.58): 48(4) apps, 28 goals, 22 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.73: Our top scorer in all competitions this season, his great work sees him rewarded by Mr Louis van Gaal with a trip to Germany as part of the Dutch squad for the World Cup. I’m not sure how much action he will actually participate in rather than watch from the bench, but it is a great effort for somebody who seemed lost at Feyenoord only two seasons ago. Unfortunately, his great form attracted the attention of Glasgow Celtic, but my natural desire to not let him leave means that he is now unhappy that he cannot advance his career further. Hopefully, these sulks will leave him as he represents Cartagonova at the World Cup and we gain a player who has experience playing at the highest level possible. Never blessed with great pace, his excellent form springs from intelligent use of the ball and predatory instincts allowing him to pounce on those opportunities that present themselves to him. Not to mention his excellent work rate which allows him to fashion his own luck in front of goal. I look forward to more of the same next season.

José Manuel Redondo (30 y/o, ESP, S C - 174(5) apps, 102 goals, 46 assists, 29 MoMs, av. rating: 7.85): 41(3) apps, 24 goals, 9 assists, 6 MoMs, av. rating: 7.84: For the last three seasons, he has been the supporters’ Player of the Year, and he hopes he will go close to taking out that award for the fourth consecutive season. I personally think he has some stiff competition from Niels Kokmeijer, but you never know your luck in the big city. He is the first player to reach 100 goals, and he did it in respectably quick time. However, his productivity in goal has somewhat decreased in the last two seasons and as he now hits that dreaded age of 30, it may well be time to look towards the future without Redondo. Nevertheless, I can count on him for his 20+ goals a season for at least another season before needing to seriously consider his future at the club. He will always have a place in the club’s history and the hearts of the fans. It’s just too bad he never had the chance of playing for his country.

Sabino (28 y/o, ESP, S C - 10(9) apps, 6 goals, 3 assists, av. rating: 7.42): 10(9) apps, 6 goals, 3 assists, av. rating: 7.42: After returning to Spain from England, I’m sure he felt he would be more involved in playing for Cartagonova, particularly after I paid Coventry £2.7 million for his services. And I cannot fault what he did for the club when he managed to get himself on the pitch. It’s just that I feel that the other strikers I have at the club are perhaps more able to do the job I want them to do than Sabino. But despite reservations about him, I still feel that I want to have him at the club rather than sell him - which is why Celta Vigo was rebuffed twice towards the end of the season despite offering some nice pound signs for him.

It was a long season that was just concluded - beginning way back in early August 2005, we played 66 games in total, out of a possible 67 (we missed out on the Champions’ League final thanks to the away goals rule), so most of my squad picked up a lot of experience at playing twice a week very quickly! This is how our squad performed over the season, followed by a full list of fixtures and results:

28th of May 2006

I get an urgent call from Señor Javier Clemente as I relax at home for the first time in 10 months demanding that I put Ballesteros on the next available flight out to Germany as he is now part of the Spanish squad. I promise to immediately pass the word on to the defender, and then return to poolside and my drink. I suppose soon I have to pack and fly out to Germany to hook up with the rest of the Spanish contingent, but all that can wait for a while… icon_wink.gif

6th of June 2006

Looking to spark some interest from me in his client, the agent of Finnish international defender Jukka Hakala claims to the Italian media that the Finn will soon move from Venezia to Cartagonova for £1.7 million. I note this with interest from the Spanish national squad’s base in Germany, where I’ve finally arrived to take charge of training under Señor Clemente. As I described above, I do recognise one familiar face, as Ballesteros closely keeps an eye on Raúl in training.

In the evening, the football world turns its eyes to Bonn to watch the announcement of FIFA’s World Player of the Year. Somewhat surprisingly, the winner is Barcelona’s Ariel Ortega. It’s surprising because he only played 20(15) times for Barcelona, although he played 9(4) times for Argentina during the season. Second place went to Parma’s Brazilian international Amoroso, while the evergreen Rivaldo of Barcelona took third place. However, the World Footballer of the Year award goes to Fiorentina and England midfielder Joe Cole, who took the award out ahead of PSG’s Vincenzo Montella and Barcelona’s Patrick Kluivert. Cole also won Italy’s Young Player of the Year award. Fiorentina striker Cristian Bardaro won the Serie A Player of the Year award.

7th of June 2006

The World Cup of 2006 in Germay kicks off this afternoon as one of Group A’s minnows, Jamaica, faces off against Portugal in Berlin. A single goal from Parma’s Vítor Hugo on 70 minutes won the game for Portugal 1-0. The scouts I’ve assigned to watch players at the World Cup both agree with each other to recommend Jermaine Pennant of Southampton and Jamaica to me. The right winger has potential, but at 23 years old is becoming a little too old to properly train into the type of player I’d like. In Cologne in the evening match from Group A, Argentina wallop the United Arab Emirates 3-1 despite losing a player to a red card on 77 minutes. Juventus’ Hernan Crespo scored a brace, while Fiorentina’s Juan Riquelme scored the third. Mehallal scored a consolation goal on the hour mark.

8th of June 2006

From Düsseldorf, Poland and the Netherlands do battle, and the Dutch prevail 2-1 with two goals in the first half. Kluivert opened the scoring on 18 minutes, and Melchiot scored their second goal on 33 minutes. Frankowski pulled a goal back on 77 minutes, but the Poles couldn’t get that equaliser. Wonderfully for Cartagonova, Kew Jaliens started the match, while Niels Kokmeijer made his debut for his country when he came on after 54 minutes to replace Ruud van Nistelrooy.

In the evening match, Jurica Vucko’s Croatia thump Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua’s Democratic Republic of Congo 4-0. A brace to Bayer Leverkusen’s Goran Vlaovic and goals to Ivan Leko and Igor Biscan put the Croats on top, and the Africans looked outclassed after being completely outplayed.

9th of June 2006

There are two matches from Groups C and D this afternoon. The host is in action this afternoon and they triumph 3-1 over Japan in Stuttgart. Alexander Zickler, Oliver Neuville and Stefan Beinlich celebrated Germany’s goals, and they were helped by the expulsion of Fukunishi on 63 minutes. In Group D, Colombia edged out France 2-1 thanks to a sterling effort of Johnnier Montaño, but Preciado and Angel claimed the goals. Nicolas Anelka’s equaliser on 38 minutes wasn’t enough in the end for the French to claim a point.

Two World Cup debutants, Burundi and the Ukraine, clash in Dortmund, but the Europeans’ class allows them to find the back of the net four times, while Burundi’s goal was only scant consolation. Spartak Moskva’s Maxim Kalinichenko, Dinamo Kyiv’s Mukshin Gatilov, and two goals to AC Milan’s Andriy Shevchenko sealed the victory for the Ukrainians.

10th of June 2006

The second game from Goup D sees the first draw of the World Cup as Norway and Cameroon tie at 2-2 apiece. Cameroon took the lead through Tenerife-bound Geremi on 19 minutes, but Villarreal’s Kristian Tanem equalised on 38 minutes. The midfielder put Norway into the lead on 50 minutes, but Mallorca’s Lauren had the last say in the matter, equalising with 22 minutes left to play. In the meantime, the first game from Group E saw the English supporters celebrating a good 3-1 victory over Uruguay despite seeing West Ham’s Izzy Iriekpen sent off on 63 minutes. However, a goal to Jamie McMaster on 8 minutes, followed by Trevor Benjamin’s first goal on 30 minutes put the English in the driving seat. Uruguay halved their lead on 34 minutes through Uriel Pérez of AC Milan, but Newcastle’s Trevor Benjamin scored the sealing goal just before half-time.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Bet you thought I was dead or in jail, huh?

Well I wasn't, I've just been busy with school and stopped posting here. If anyone who reads this post was reading my story, sorry about suspending it so abruptly.

Anyway, I've been in Spain the past two weeks (the women there are beautiful) and managed to visit the Rock of Gibraltar, which is near a town called La Linea de Concepcion. I saw some building with a sign "Club Martimo Linense" and remembered your old thread way back when. Maybe it's the same La Linea? Anyway, just in case, I took a picture of the town from atop the Rock. Here it is: La Linea, maybe.

Well, enjoy icon_smile.gif.

Well done on the defence of the Copa Del Rey, shame about the League and the CL though icon_frown.gif

Surely it's your time soon now?

*realises what he's asking from a tiny provincial club in the same country as Real Madrid and Barcelona*

Maybe not then icon_wink.gif

But the story's still top notch icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I get an urgent call from Señor Javier Clemente as I relax at home for the first time in 10 months demanding that I put Ballesteros on the next available flight out to Germany as he is now part of the Spanish squad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch! After playing 63 games in a year, he really had deserved a vacation....

Congrats on another great season, by the way.

Yep, congrats on the season. Copa del Rey no. 2 icon_smile.gif. Unlucky about the CL and League icon_frown.gif.

There is always next season and the season after.....although beating Barca to the League is gonna be one mighty task but if anyone can..... icon_biggrin.gif

As grady60 says, this sure is one of the best stories on the board at the moment. icon_razz.gif

Shame on you! I'm new on this website and I spent the last two days at work reading your story icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif Well, there was not much work to be done icon_smile.gif Great story, very entertaining. I just wonder where you find the time to play and write. Maybe not busy at work or studying either? icon_biggrin.gif

Dixie, I've been reading this story for some time now and it's truly one of the best I've ever read on this board. To me, it's on same level as the classic stories from Raptor, silver_blue and Benny. Brilliant!

And when I make a compliment I really mean it! (see number of posts icon_biggrin.gif )

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kazema:

_Bet you thought I was dead or in jail, huh?_

Well I wasn't, I've just been busy with school and stopped posting here. If anyone who reads this post was reading my story, sorry about suspending it so abruptly.

Anyway, I've been in Spain the past two weeks (the women there are beautiful) and managed to visit the Rock of Gibraltar, which is near a town called La Linea de Concepcion. I saw some building with a sign "Club Martimo Linense" and remembered your old thread way back when. Maybe it's the same La Linea? Anyway, just in case, I took a picture of the town from atop the Rock. Here it is: http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LQBiXe8OiUOzflfU02cPLJ8Up2fYl2JvWzsHqFYPJvWHevVUMFKsccZPaEIfXyx7ZLeD647eEXY/La-Linea.jpg.

Well, enjoy icon_smile.gif.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G'day Kazema! icon_smile.gif Welcome back to the board - it certainly has been a while, hasn't it? I actually admire your ability to discipline yourself enough to remain away from the board - I couldn't do that, even if my life depended upon it! icon_biggrin.gif

To answer your question, I believe that you are correct in that La Linea is the home town for Linense, but as I recall, the club's name is Real Balom(something) Linense, not Club Martimo Linense. I do know that at the start of the season, they played a friendly tournament with Middlesbrough and Real Madrid.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

Well done on the defence of the Copa Del Rey, shame about the League and the CL though icon_frown.gif

Surely it's your time soon now?

*realises what he's asking from a tiny provincial club in the same country as Real Madrid and Barcelona*

Maybe not then icon_wink.gif

But the story's still top notch icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Raptor, for your kind comments! icon_smile.gif I'm trying to catch up to Barcelona, but it's difficult with such a small stadium. Thankfully, though, Real Madrid seems to have self-destructed, which means that it's usually Barcelona, us, and Celta Vigo who are the three favourites for the title at the start of the season nowadays. Of course, Barcelona are way out in front now... icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tricky Winger:

Quote: "I get an urgent call from Señor Javier Clemente as I relax at home for the first time in 10 months demanding that I put Ballesteros on the next available flight out to Germany as he is now part of the Spanish squad. "

Ouch! After playing 63 games in a year, he really had deserved a vacation....

Congrats on another great season, by the way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, last season was tough and gruelling, but I thought it was quite rewarding. We ultimately could have played 68 games, if we had reached the Champions' League final, but unfortunately, we only had 67 games to contend with (excluding friendlies at the start of the season). The new season should see us play less games because we don't have to pre-qualify for the Champions' League, but we still would play something like 66 games if we got to the finals of the Copa del Rey and the Champions' League. That's a lot of games for a squad with only 35 players in it!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghostwriter:

Yep, congrats on the season. Copa del Rey no. 2 icon_smile.gif. Unlucky about the CL and League icon_frown.gif.

There is always next season and the season after.....although beating Barca to the League is gonna be one mighty task but if anyone can..... icon_biggrin.gif

As grady60 says, this sure is one of the best stories on the board at the moment. icon_razz.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your praise, and your confidence, ghostwriter! I hope the latter isn't misplaced, as it's going to be a tough season to bridge that huge points gap to Barcelona! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Q007:

Shame on you! I'm new on this website and I spent the last two days at work reading your story icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif Well, there was not much work to be done icon_smile.gif Great story, very entertaining. I just wonder where you find the time to play and write. Maybe not busy at work or studying either? icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much Q007 - I'm glad to have contributed to your working life in some way! icon_smile.gif To answer your question, I studied full-time for most of last year, finally finishing late-November. But I'm about to start full-time work very soon, so the gameplaying and storywriting will unfortunately have to take a back seat for a while. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingstonian_God:

Dixie, I've been reading this story for some time now and it's truly one of the best I've ever read on this board. To me, it's on same level as the classic stories from Raptor, silver_blue and Benny. Brilliant!

And when I make a compliment I really mean it! (see number of posts icon_biggrin.gif )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks heaps, Kingstonian_God! I'll try to keep it as entertaining as possible for you! icon_biggrin.gif

Once again, to the breach!

10th of June 2006 (cont.)

The evening match pits Mexico and Finland from Berlin. In between taking in the delights of the German beer halls, my scouts take a train out to the Olympia-Stadion to witness this affair and after Finland win 2-0 thanks to goals from Santahuhta and Scheweleff, they tell me they think D/DM C and potential Cartagonova target Jukka Hakala would be an excellent signing for the club. But I’m prepared to reserve judgment for the time being, given that Mexico isn’t the most competitive nation to make it to the World Cup.

11th of June 2006

As the team coach takes the Spanish squad to Hannover’s Niedersachenstadion for our afternoon fixture against China, the news bulletin tells us that Ajax Amsterdam has signed Boudewijn Zenden from Glasgow Rangers for £7.25 million.

On the way back to our training camp in Neunkirchen, our voices are raised in singing after we outclassed the Chinese 4-1 in Hannover. Goals to Angulo and Morientes in the space of 4 minutes tore the heart of the Chinese fight and when Angulo scored on 39 minutes to make it 3-0, the game was over. To their credit, though, the Chinese did threaten to make it interesting when they scored on 68 minutes through Qu, but Raúl rounded off the scoring in the 89th minute to put Spain at the top of Group H. From Hamburg, the Saudis were no match for Brazil. Al-Jaber’s 12th minute goal served only to inspire the Brazilians but at half-time the match was anybody’s given the scoresheet read Saudi Arabia 1:1 Brazil, through Roque Júnior’s 39th minute equaliser. But two goals at the end of the game gave the Brazilians their deserved victory and puts them at the top of Group F.

In the evening game from Group H in Stuttgart, the Czech Republic won against Zambia thanks to Manchester City’s veteran Vladimir Smicer, who came off the bench to score on the 60th minute to seal victory.

I hear news from home that apparently Luis Sosa, my assistant manager, has been in talks with the board of Tenerife with a view of taking over the managerial seat at the club after the departure of Radomir Antic, who went to Zaragoza earlier in the season. He doesn’t want to negotiate a new contract with me, so I guess that the rumours are true and I will soon have to find a new assistant manager.

12th of June 2006

Group G kicks off this evening when Bulgaria defeats the USA 2-0 in Dortmund. A goal after just three minutes from Levski’s Dimitar Ivanov took the wind out of the Americans’ sails, and they were sunk by Newcastle United’s Milen Petkov’s 44th minute strike.

There are two games played in the evening, and both result in upset victories for the rank underdogs. From Group G, Ireland crashes 4-1 to Guinea-Bissau with Atlético Madrid star Sene Djaló bagging a brace, despite Arsenal’s Graham Barrett giving the Irish the lead on 4 minutes when he converted a penalty. In Group H, the scoresheet might be a little more sparse than the previous match, but the ramifications are no less serious as Italy crash 1-0 to Paraguay. Bayern München striker Roque Santa Cruz netted on 21 minutes in München’s Olympiastadion, a venue he knows only too well. Ireland are now left with a mountain to climb as they take on Brazil in the next round of fixtures.

13th of June 2006

Argentina stamped their favouritism to defend their title after they thrashed Portugal 4-1 in Düsseldorf. Portuguese veteran playmaker Rui Costa, now with Parma, opened the scoring on 19 minutes, but the Portuguese conceded the equaliser to Barcelona’s Juan Sebastián Verón just four minutes later. In the second half, the Portuguese defence fell to pieces, conceding three times - to Bardaro on 63 minutes, and Estévez on 73 and 90 minutes.

In the evening game, Jamaica withstood a late charge from the United Arab Emirates to record their first victory of the World Cup campaign, downing the Arabs 2-1 in Frankfurt. Goals to Miami’s David Johnson and Málaga’s Theodore Whitmore gave the Carribeans the upper hand, but they were forced to sweat when Yasser netted on 53 minutes, but try as they might the Arabs couldn’t get their equaliser.

14th of June 2006

The Democratic Republic of Congo withstood everything that Poland could throw at them in Hamburg this afternoon and emerged the unlikely winner thanks to a 57th minute strike from Ngombo. Even then, the Congans needed a slice of luck when the left back’s shot hit the post and rebounded in before the Polish keeper, Feyenoord’s Zbigniew Malkowski, could react. Cartagonova’s Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua played a key role in the Africans’ victory.

The pundits all around the world are shocked this evening as Croatia hammered a lacklustre Netherlands 4-1 in Cologne. The Croats got on the board first through Venezia’s Tomislav Rukavina who opened the scoring on 11 minutes. But the Netherlands equalised through Mario Melchiot of Deportivo La Coruña five minutes later. However, parity only lasted another four minutes as Goran Vlaovic scored the first of his three goals to put the Croats back in front. Once they had re-established the lead, they were never challenged by the Dutch and goals on 36 and 47 minutes to the Bayer Leverkusen veteran sealed his hat-trick and the result for the Croats. Kew Jaliens played for the Dutch in this game, but Kokmeijer did not appear. Only through dint of their better scoring records do the Dutch manage to stay above the Democratic Republic of Congo.

15th of June 2006

The Spanish transfer window opens again and I call my club to find out if the deals I had arranged to go through today did indeed proceed as plan. Luis Sosa, who must still be mulling over the Tenerife job, confirms that Carles Puyol arrived from Barcelona but unfortunately Cafú’s deal needs to be re-negotiated as we’re apparently not allowed to employ any more staff. That sets me thinking about who might be expendable from my current backroom. I think that I might be able to part with the services of stalwart José María Esnal, who is the only man who has been at Cartagonova longer than me. I like him for his strict discipline, but he isn’t a great coach and I think the experience and fame of Cafú could be better for us. But our new keeper, Christoffer Källkvist arrives from Venezia, which no doubt signals the end of Moso’s association with my club.

However, the other Primera Liga clubs have been busy, no more so than Real Madrid, who splashed out £15 million on River Plate’s Pablo Aimar, £8.75 million on Real Vallodolid’s Christian Colusso, and £3.5 million on Sevilla’s Rubio. They also signed Sporting Gijón’s Félix Dja Ettien on a free transfer. Valencia also spent the biccies today, snapping up Roma’s Emerson for £14 million, Guly and Giovanni both from Fiorentina both on free transfers, Lazio’s Stefano Fiore for £14 million and Real Madrid’s Pedro Munitis for £9.5 million.

Osasuna also didn’t hold back when it came to spending money, writing out cheques to Valencia for Vítor Lima for the initial expenditure of £2.8 million and £475,000 to Las Palmas for Pablo Lago. But they also added free transfers in the form of Elche’s Vladimir Ivic, Deportivo’s Manuel Canabal and Granada’s Peralta. On the other hand, Celta Vigo was more restrained just spending £1.9 million on Valencia’s Marcelo Gallardo and signing Bayer Leverkusen’s Julen Guerrero on a Bosman free transfer.

Back to World Cup action and Japan teach Burundi a football lesson in Group C this afternoon, downing the African minnows 3-0 in the Olympia-Stadion in Berlin. Roma’s Hidetoshi Nakata was at the heart of things for Japan, as countrymen Oku on 6 minutes, Tanaka on 26 minutes and Jo on 44 minutes scored goals for the Japanese.

The host was in action in the evening fixture from Hannover when Germany took on the buoyant Ukrainians. It ended in a 1-1 draw with goals to Zickler on 49 minutes and Gatilov on 57 minutes.

16th of June 2006

I receive an urgent call from UEFA to be in Rome this evening for the presentation of the European footballer awards. I wonder why I should be invited? To my great delight, I find out at the ceremony that four Cartagonova players are to be honoured for their achievements in the recently concluded season. Confounding all the critics, José Manuel Redondo, only four seasons ago rejected by Real Zaragoza, is the 2005/06 European Footballer of the Year! It is in fact a Spanish trifecta, as he holds off the challenges of Celta Vigo’s Diego Ribera and ex-Parma and Spanish international striker Catanha. Iván Vidal is named 2005/06 European Goalkeeper of the Year, ahead of Celta Vigo’s Mattias Asper and Parma’s Gianluigi Buffon. Shimon Gershon is runner-up to Parma’s Marco Delvecchio as the 2005/06 European Defender of the Year. George Clegg picks up the award for the 2005/06 European Midfielder of the Year! José Manuel Redondo has the opportunity to go back up again to the podium, this time to accept the award for the 2005/06 European Striker of the Year!

For myself, once again, I’m awarded the third place in the Spanish Manager of the Year award, behind perennial winner Barcelona’s Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer and Celta Vigo’s Señor Luis Fernández. Patrick Kluivert is named Spanish Player of the Year, ahead of teammate Alfonso and Real Sociedad’s Joseba Llorente.

17th of June 2006

Real Madrid’s new manager thinks that Ballesteros could help out with his club’s defensive problems, so today he offers me £3.2 million over six months. But I want something more substantial than that, if I’m to sell Ballesteros, so I ask for £4.5 million now and £1.5 million after 10 league appearances.

There is a feast of World Cup football to feed upon this afternoon as three matches are played in the group stages. From Grou p D, Norway brush aside former World Cup winner France 5-1 in Hamburg. Jon Carew scored a hat-trick, and he was joined by Kristian Tanem and Bari’s Simen Brenne. Thierry Henry’s 37th minute goal was nowhere near enough. From Group E, Finland defeated England 2-1 in Düsseldorf. Arsenal’s Gary Birch put the English ahead on 7 minutes, but two second-half goals to Tainio and Scheweleff put the Finns over the top. And finally, there’s disappointment for me and the rest of the Spanish squad as they lost 3-1 to the Czech Republic in Frankfurt. Milan Baros scored on 10 minutes to give the Czechs the lead and he doubled it on 17 minutes. Fernando Morientes halved the Czechs’ lead on 19 minutes, but Baros completed his hat-trick five minutes from time to seal our fate.

Two further matches are played in the evening. From Group D in Gelsenkirchen, Cameroon thundered four goals past Colombia, while Uruguay needed a goal from Villarreal’s Christian Callejas to edge past Mexico 3-2 in an absorbing game from Dortmund.

The French Football Association waste no time in saying goodbye to whom they believe to be the weak link. Monsieur Paul Le Guen takes the long walk after his French team was thrashed by a combined seven goals in their first two matches of the World Cup, leaving them no chance of qualifying for the next stage.

18th of June 2006

The club bids farewell to veteran defender Alan Stubbs, who leaves this morning to move to the Islas de Canarias to join Tenerife: Alan Stubbs (34 y/o, ENG, SW/D C): 4(3) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.28.

In the afternoon, there is a big upset in Group F as Ireland thrash Brazil 4-1 in Stuttgart. Graham Barrett and Marseille’s Roy Keane put the Irish 2-0 up at half-time and Gary Breen made it 3-0 on 58 minutes. Just 30 seconds later, Ronaldinho scored Brazil’s goal to give them some hope of salvaging something out of this game, but Ian Harte of Manchester City sealed the big win on 75 minutes. In the Group H match, Zambia and China drew 0-0, a result which suits neither nation, since a draw for Spain would see us through into the second stage.

The evening match from Group F sees Saudi Arabia pull Guinea-Bissau back into the pack by defeating them 1-0 to make this group the tightest of all the groups as all four countries have three points from two games.

19th of June 2006

In Group G, Italy resumes normal service by defeating Bulgaria 3-1 in Cologne. A Christian Vieri hat-trick completed inside the first half-hour of the match was sufficient for the Italians, although Dimitar Ivanov threatened a comeback when he scored Bulgaria’s only goal of the game on 38 minutes. In the evening match from the same group, Paraguay go top of the table as they defeat the USA 2-1 despite playing with ten men for 37 minutes. The USA took the lead through a penalty converted by Larrieu on 19 minutes, but Real Sociedad’s Alejandro Da Silva equalised on 73 minutes and then Los Angeles’ Jeff Newman put the ball into his own net four minutes from time to give the South Americans victory.

20th of June 2006

While Real Madrid have pulled out of the chase for the Ballesteros, Barcelona jump in with both feet, offering me £2.9 million for him. I put the usual terms that I demand on the table and allow the Barcelona representative to go back to his boss with the news.

Archived