AI gives poor offers, destroy morale in squad

Hi.

Been playing for a while and are taking the Norwegian team "Brann" to the title and the Champions league. Have been gathering a lot of talents over the years and now I have finally manage to get a 19 year old that are rated as a wonderkid. I can see in FM editor that his potential is 167 (check his stats) and he is already a top player in the league. (currently on whopping 114) (I don't like to use the editor, but it is a good way to show his level for this particularly scenario.)

- The thing is, somehow he is only worth £50K. Like wft? Yes his contract is low as he only earn £4K a month, but that is standard in this division. (He have 3 more years left in his contract)

- The second thing is: The AI keep pushing me for offers like £150K and £250K. The clubs are PSG, Manchester United, Nice, Lyon and Barcelona. So they should have plenty of money. I keep refusing or telling them to give me at least £10M. (I still feel it is too low, but whatever)

- The clubs keep refusing my counter offers and goes away. Say it is impossible to agree. They eventually comes back a few days later and repeat the same offer. like dude!

- The player and most of the players in the squad are furious that I don't let him go. But I can't let my top star and top player go for peanuts. I even bought him for £1M when he was 17. They are asking for lower price than I bought him for.

Now the champion league qualification are soon here, and the morale is falling day by day. It's a disaster.

This is also not the only case. My other main top players in my team are being hunted by a bit lower teams like Gujion, Betis etc but they also have the same problem. The offer is ALWAYS under £500K. Even if they are the leagues best players and other club in my league sells their players for way way much more than I can.  

Are there any method to get the AI to function as normal or is this normal? IDK

Am I just playing in a too low league that the AI don't care if I have the next Messi, as long as he is under £1M?

Is pineapple just the best pizza topping of all time?

Skjermbilde.JPG

EDIT: Just to remember, I don't want any solution that resolves around the editor. I want to be a semi farmer club that participate in the Champions league at regular. The low quality of this league makes me win the league with almost only 17-21 year old talents and that increases their skill very fast as they are getting first team football regularly. But CL is not guaranteed at all, so I need sale money to continue my talent hunting.

You're playing in a low reputation league and some of the biggest clubs in the world are trying to buy your players, so it's only natural that those players want to leave. It still sounds like they're offering 3-4 times what the player is valued at, which isn't bad at all. I think the best thing you can do in those situations is negotiate the price up a little bit, maybe trying to get your £1million back but that seems unlikely, and add on a big 'percentage of profit on next sale' clause and wait a few years for a huge windfall.

Ok.

But that is not realistic at all. I mean. If there is a next Messi in a lower league, he surely is worth more than that.

At least £3M should be easily obtainable. Martin Ødegaard went in real life for the same.

Is there any way to increase his value at any least?

Of course it's realistic. Look at Mahrez for example, £400k from French Ligue 2 I think it was. Luis Suarez £500k from Nacional to Groningen. Icardi £250k from Barcelona to Sampdoria. And there's many many more examples of that.

I guess you could try adding a minimum fee release clause in his contract, but don't be surprised if him or his agent won't accept a huge number for it.

@Tom8983

Even if your examples are absolutely correct, transfers have completely exploded recently

You won’t be able to get anything top with the money you just talked about

Nowadays for any kind of prospect anywhere in the globe, millions are mandatory

As a comparison, you're able to buy 17-year old Sigurd Grønli from Tromsø at the start of the game (19.3 database) in FM19 for around €500,000, maybe even less, and he's a starting XI player for teams in German 2.Bundesliga, French Ligue 2, Italian Serie B or Spanish Segunda who (at least according to what I've read, I don't know what PA he's been assigned) could become a top player just as yours could. For the Norwegian league, the fees that buying teams are offering just won't go much beyond that.

6 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

As a comparison, you're able to buy 17-year old Sigurd Grønli from Tromsø at the start of the game (19.3 database) in FM19 for around €500,000, maybe even less, and he's a starting XI player for teams in German 2.Bundesliga, French Ligue 2, Italian Serie B or Spanish Segunda who (at least according to what I've read, I don't know what PA he's been assigned) could become a top player just as yours could. For the Norwegian league, the fees that buying teams are offering just won't go much beyond that.

tbf, the top end of the Norwegian league should be set higher than this for overseas transfers of top division potential players, especially when the players are first teamers and rated by elite clubs as possibly having the potential to play for them. Here's a list of top Eliteserien transfers - plenty of players of similar abilities who have gone for 10-50x what the AI PSG is unsettling his players with and apparently unwilling to improve upon.

On the flip side, none of them were sold for as much as the OP asked for (most of the Mikel money went to Man Utd due to agent shenanigans) 

7 hours ago, Tom8983 said:

Of course it's realistic. Look at Mahrez for example, £400k from French Ligue 2 I think it was. Luis Suarez £500k from Nacional to Groningen. Icardi £250k from Barcelona to Sampdoria. And there's many many more examples of that.

I guess you could try adding a minimum fee release clause in his contract, but don't be surprised if him or his agent won't accept a huge number for it.

It's not.

Look at the clubs you mentioned for those players. Suarez to Groningen, Icardi to Sampdoria, etc.

And we are not talking about a single middle table club enquiring a player.

He's talking about Barcelona, PSG, Real, Bayern, City, United and etc all come offering multiple bids over multiple months for less than the player paid for a player in like Ligue 2,  suddenly everyone would be asking IRL "wth is up with that player" and his value would skyrocket simply because of the high concorrence and whoever pays more takes it.

Clearly there is an issue where something in the game gives too much "bonus" to the player for being "focused" (I doubt you would see such offers had it not been because he's the human manager) or the game clearly needs to increase the value because of the reputation from those clubs.

AI is and has always been like that. They love low non-negociable offers too, so you refuse and your players want to leave. They also love to death to ask you to pay for the wage while the guy is with them definitely.

This makes the experience pretty poor and annoying to be honest.

8 hours ago, Lanko said:

It's not.

Look at the clubs you mentioned for those players. Suarez to Groningen, Icardi to Sampdoria, etc.

And we are not talking about a single middle table club enquiring a player.

He's talking about Barcelona, PSG, Real, Bayern, City, United and etc all come offering multiple bids over multiple months for less than the player paid for a player in like Ligue 2,  suddenly everyone would be asking IRL "wth is up with that player" and his value would skyrocket simply because of the high concorrence and whoever pays more takes it.

Clearly there is an issue where something in the game gives too much "bonus" to the player for being "focused" (I doubt you would see such offers had it not been because he's the human manager) or the game clearly needs to increase the value because of the reputation from those clubs.

Toni Kroos, Rostock to Bayern £68k. Jose Giminez, Danumio to Atletico £800k. Szczesny Legia to Arsenal £34k. Bonucci, Viterbese to Inter £27.5k. Jadon Sancho, Watford to Man City £400k. Jordi Alba, Cornella to Valencia £4.1k. Januzaj, Anderlecht to Man Utd £325k.

All these are quick searches on FM so it's relying on their research for the transfer costs, but they're unlikely to be far out if they're out at all, SI's research is usually pretty good. And they're all examples of big clubs paying peanuts to small clubs because those amounts aren't peanuts to the smaller clubs, they need the money, and the player wants to move to a better team. I'm sure there's hundreds more examples if not thousands, and that's not even including all the times a big club has unsettled a player enough so that they don't sign a new contract and join the big club on a free at the end of their current deal.

I'm not saying you couldn't negotiate up by quite a lot, but the OP is slapping a price on their heads that is so far above the norm that it's not going to happen. It's extremely rare that a team will pay £10m to an obscure Norwegian team. As the OP notes himself, even Odegaard only went for 3 million, and he *was* described as the next/Norwegian Messi. The most capped Norwegian player, John Arne Riise, moved to Monaco from Aalesund for £700k.

As it is, the OP is slapping a ridiculous price on his players head, and that's understandable, he doesn't want to lose his best player. So now the big clubs are coming with their disruptive tactics trying to unsettle the player, just as they do IRL. It's working, so now the only sensible option is to get the best price possible, and that doesn't include starting out with a totally unreasonable amount, because that isn't working and it's destroying his squad morale. My advice next time they bid would be to drop to £5m with a huge percentage of profit of next transfer clause, and/or performance bonuses. If they still don't like that, drop the initial price further but keep the sell-on clauses, they're the ones that will eventually serve your club well and bring in millions. Probably more than the £10m you're currently asking for if the player is that good.

Good discussion. Love it guys.

But is it possible to change this in the editor? Or a mod for it?

I love playing "realistically". But getting £100K in profits each sale ain't gonna get Brann to win the CL. (yeah in the long run)

Is there any hope or do I have to get there by getting prize money?

26 minutes ago, Aeon said:

Good discussion. Love it guys.

But is it possible to change this in the editor? Or a mod for it?

I love playing "realistically". But getting £100K in profits each sale ain't gonna get Brann to win the CL. (yeah in the long run)

Is there any hope or do I have to get there by getting prize money?

I dont know about the editor, but without changes its about getting to the main group stages as much as you can, and hope top clubs don't poach your best players year after year.

Tom's advice is bang on. Use add on's to turn player sales into almost constant income.

@Aeon If he's got three more years on his contract I would not sell for that kind of money, I would wait a year or so to see if his reputation (and thereby market value) will increase. For a talent like that in the Scandinavian leagues you should aim at something in the region of  AT LEAST £1,5 to 2 million (including % of future transfer fee). That's realistic. No top tier club in Scandinavia would accept any lower than that nowadays if the player already is an important part of the first team and the interested clubs in question are among the best in the world. Look att Benjamin Nygren who left IFK Göteborg (note: bad financial situation) for Genk this summer for about 40 million SEK. They sold Dahlberg to Watford for almost as much last year. Svanberg from Malmö FF to Bologna was in that region money-wise as well. And your guy has a much bigger potential than these players it seems.

So keep cool and wait is my advice. Let him moan for at time, hopefully he will get over it. You can as well release him as sell him for less than you paid. So worst case scenario (all his teammates turn against you), just kick him out. If you are a top team in the league £150K either way makes no difference.

The board just wanted to sell him. They accepted a offer for £1,5M from PSG with future hope of getting £3M. F**k this board! Just right before the CL qualification and for almost nothing at all.

Wish there was a way to just overrule the board. Like in the ingame or pre-editor, remove the board or make them not interfering since they are clearly morons.

I quit! Thank you all for your advice btw. Guess I just play something else instead. Thanks SI. Never gonna buy your games again.

Honestly what I would bet on would be a % of future fee in every single youngster you sell. IRL, we just saw Real Sociedad earning €24M with the move of Griezman from Atlético to Barcelona, just because they assured 20% of the economic rights when they sold him. That's really awesome, receiving that amount of money for a player that isn't even yours. Now imagine this money for a low league club. It's like winning the lottery.

14 minutes ago, 99 said:

Honestly what I would bet on would be a % of future fee in every single youngster you sell. IRL, we just saw Real Sociedad earning €24M with the move of Griezman from Atlético to Barcelona, just because they assured 20% of the economic rights when they sold him. That's really awesome, receiving that amount of money for a player that isn't even yours. Now imagine this money for a low league club. It's like winning the lottery.

When I played as Malmo I poached a young striker from the 2nd division, played for a season and PSG came in with a £3m bid and he went, but I had a 40% sell on clause. He just went to Atletico for £46m and although I’m no longer at Malmo their financial status went from ‘secure’ to ‘rich’

42 minutes ago, Aeon said:

The board just wanted to sell him. They accepted a offer for £1,5M from PSG with future hope of getting £3M. F**k this board! Just right before the CL qualification and for almost nothing at all.

Wish there was a way to just overrule the board. Like in the ingame or pre-editor, remove the board or make them not interfering since they are clearly morons.

I quit! Thank you all for your advice btw. Guess I just play something else instead. Thanks SI. Never gonna buy your games again.

:lol::lol::lol: It's inevitable that once some of the biggest teams in Europe come after one of your players, they're gonna want to go and the board are going to see £££s and it's their responsibility to ensure the financial well being of the club. As I said earlier, you should have negotiated a better deal when you had the chance as he was always going to be sold. On the plus side, you got 10x his value outright which is also a 50% profit on what you paid for him, and 20x his value in add-ons. Of course the board were going to step in. It's not the games fault that you refused to bow to the inevitable and make the best out of the situation. 

Chalk it up to a hard learning experience, then go and find the next promising player to go make money off.

This thread escalated quickly.

I'm also managing a Norwegian club (albeit at a lower level), and we've had several good prospects come through over the years that I'd sold on for decent money - and big sell-on clauses, though I've not yet reaped the benefits of those. I once got €70k (plus 50% of the next sale) from selling a 17-year-old defender to Brann. For a third-division semi-professional team, that is nothing to be sniffed at.

But yes, it is frustrating when the board goes over your head and accepts what you feel is a weak offer for a talented youngster. In my first season, the board accepted €11,250 (and no sell-on clause) from Rosenborg for a 16-year-old winger who'd just broken into my first-team. Fast forward three years, and he's now a regular starter for Rosenborg who's coveted by clubs such as Nantes and Real Sociedad. :(

At the time this player was sold, our financial status was 'insecure'. I pretty much had to admit that the chairman made a decision for the good of the club, and that I was a rookie manager who had no real right to challenge him. After all, I didn't want to lose my job! Then again, the chairman lost his job in the club elections a month later, so I guess the fans didn't appreciate the sale either! :D

1 hour ago, Aeon said:

Use the editor and set the board attributes "Interference" to 1 and/or "Business" to 20, I think...

1 hour ago, Aeon said:

You say you want to play the game "realistically", then when the realistic transfer happens you throw your toys out the pram and say you're never playing FM again? :rolleyes:

Big clubs offer low on purpose to unsettle your players if you reject. That then leaves you in the position to either accept an offer lower than you believe the player is worth, or to keep rejecting and keep having to deal with the low morale of the player and his allies in the squad. As a much smaller club, you just have to accept that your talented youngsters will attract the bigger clubs and it'll be very hard to keep hold of them.

3 hours ago, Jambo_ said:

You say you want to play the game "realistically", then when the realistic transfer happens you throw your toys out the pram and say you're never playing FM again? :rolleyes:

Big clubs offer low on purpose to unsettle your players if you reject. That then leaves you in the position to either accept an offer lower than you believe the player is worth, or to keep rejecting and keep having to deal with the low morale of the player and his allies in the squad. As a much smaller club, you just have to accept that your talented youngsters will attract the bigger clubs and it'll be very hard to keep hold of them.

No, I don't want to play the game realistically. I "prefer" to do it, but when stupid things like this happens, well I don't really care anymore. Tbh, the thing we all want to do when playing Football manager, is being like a god of tactics. Finding the wonderkids the AI can't seem to locate, develop the ultimate tactics, develop players to stars and win with them or sell them and move on, build a empire of your preferred team and let them beat whatever you decide you should beat. The only realistic thing I want with FM, is to play it and don't interfere with it. I want to play a game where I can just get a mediocre team to the top 20 clubs in the world.

By doing so, can the AI please buy my stars for what they are worth and add a ignore button to the board? Do you want your board to interfere with your decisions. yes/no

I'm back playing FM 2007. The last game before everything went to ****.

Jambo made some fantastic points there, especially with regards to why AI club don't make their highest bids early. They're trying to unsettle your team - and in this case, it's worked a treat.

Don't forget that you can do the same to them. Believe me; I once managed to sign a Belgian wonderkid striker on a free transfer because I'd unsettled him by making a couple of low offers a year earlier.

Also, you cry about how FM should be realistic, and then you talk about "developing the ultimate tactics" (spoiler alert: there is no 'ultimate tactic') and getting a mediocre team into "the top 20 clubs in the world". However, you're forgetting that the scenario you've just been through is not entirely unrealistic.

The game is called Football Manager - not Football Overlord - for a reason. You might be the manager, but at the end of the day, it's mostly the board and the executives who are largely responsible for keeping the club financially solvent (except when they bring in Harry Redknapp and he leaves them almost bankrupt six months later :p).

You were already taking a big risk by demanding so much money for a player whose value was so low. You could have wanted £5million or £500million for this Nordic Messi, but sooner or later, the chairman may feel compelled to step in and accept any offer above a certain threshold. Simply letting you bat away offers and turn down serious money because you're greedy... it doesn't make much business sense to me.

And you say that you've gone back to FM07 because it was "the last game" before everything went wrong. What if I told you that interfering chairmen have been part of the game since the Championship Manager days? I can still remember getting annoyed as an 11-year-old playing CM00/01 because Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood wouldn't let me sign Blackburn defender Marlon Broomes for ~£2million. To be fair, he probably had a point. :lol:

4 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Jambo made some fantastic points there, especially with regards to why AI club don't make their highest bids early. They're trying to unsettle your team - and in this case, it's worked a treat.

Don't forget that you can do the same to them. Believe me; I once managed to sign a Belgian wonderkid striker on a free transfer because I'd unsettled him by making a couple of low offers a year earlier.

Also, you cry about how FM should be realistic, and then you talk about "developing the ultimate tactics" (spoiler alert: there is no 'ultimate tactic') and getting a mediocre team into "the top 20 clubs in the world". However, you're forgeing that the scenario you've just been through is not entirely unrealistic.

The game is called Football Manager - not Football Overlord - for a reason. You might be the manager, but at the end of the day, it's mostly the board and the executives who are largely responsible for keeping the club financially solvent (except when they bring in Harry Redknapp and he leaves them almost bankrupt six months later :p).

You were already taking a big risk by demanding so much money for a player whose value was so low. You could have wanted £5million or £500million for this Nordic Messi, but sooner or later, the chairman may feel compelled to step in and accept any offer above a certain threshold. Simply letting you bat away offers and turn down serious money because you're greedy... it doesn't make much business sense to me.

And you say that you've gone back to FM07 because it was "the last game" before everything went wrong. What if I told you that interfering chairmen have been part of the game since the Championship Manager days? I can still remember getting annoyed as an 11-year-old playing CM00/01 because Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood wouldn't let me sign Blackburn defender Marlon Broomes for ~£2million. To be fair, he probably had a point. :lol:

Yeah, but in fm07, you could use a sly tactic of payment pr month that function like a bug or idk. Meaning you could still get £20M and even £60M for players as long as they payed a acceptable fee each month. somehow this "bug" does not work prior 2008 and at least not in 2019.

8 minutes ago, CFuller said:

except when they bring in Harry Redknapp and he leaves them almost bankrupt six months later

Nico Kranjcar and Jermaine Defoe don't cost that much do they?

3 minutes ago, Aeon said:

Yeah, but in fm07, you could use a sly tactic of payment pr month that function like a bug or idk. Meaning you could still get £20M and even £60M for players as long as they payed a acceptable fee each month. somehow this "bug" does not work prior 2008 and at least not in 2019.

Ah, so that's why you're playing it. :D

3 minutes ago, Tom8983 said:

Nico Kranjcar and Jermaine Defoe don't cost that much do they?

Think about all those clubs Harry has managed since leaving West Ham and what happened to them shortly afterwards. ;) (Okay, maybe not Tottenham.)

Also another thing to take into account is the players potential. How likely is he to realise it at your club? Your facilities are going to have to be upgraded pretty quickly and the standard of league needs to rise. He maybe a 'wonderkid' but that only means be could eventually be top class, if conditions allow. 

Best case scenario, you hold out to get a bit more money and a huge sell on percentage clause, which may pay dividends in a few years. If you keep him, as I say, unless your club reaches much higher levels pretty quickly then he'll still end up being your best player, just not the player he could have been. 

I had a similar issue in my early days managing in the Irish League. The solution that I found was to build a team of free transfers and loans and keep trying to qualify for the CL. After a few years, I managed it and bolstered the finances as well as improving the league's reputation. It's only in this season just past (my 7th or 8th) that all the player values multiplied by 8 meaning I was getting serious money for them. This happened in tandem with my league now being ranked 15th in competitions after some good European results. 

Also, a small exploit you may try to keep players until you reach this point. If a club are a coming in, reject their initial offer. When the player complains, say you'll accept a reasonable offer and agree to whatever value they say. Then change the asking rice to 1k and every club will bid this. The player never becomes unhappy because you're keeping your promise and eventually the clubs give up and the player elects to stay and you usually get a window to sign a new contract before the bidding starts again. 

Good luck. 

This crops up all the time, and it is down to bad management of contracts and not understanding the game. As pointed out, the AI is trying to unsettle players to sign them for cheaper. If you are also not doing this, you are definitely paying more for players than necessary. 

However this situations can easily be avoided, or mitigated, by actually managing your squad well. Key players should always have at least 2 years remaining on their contract. Always. In situations like this you then do not care if your player has a bid to unsettle him. Reject and move on. He may be unhappy for a while, but he has long enough on his contract you do not have to worry. Just play him and let him get over it (most often they do). 

On realism. You think it is unrealistic that clubs unsettle players in order to sign them cheaper? I really do not think you understand football if you think that. This is probably one of the more realistic aspects of the transfer market in the game. You are just being incredibly melodramatic about it because you did not get your own way. Fair enough, I guess, but the fault here is in the user. 

17 hours ago, Tom8983 said:

Toni Kroos, Rostock to Bayern £68k. Jose Giminez, Danumio to Atletico £800k. Szczesny Legia to Arsenal £34k. Bonucci, Viterbese to Inter £27.5k. Jadon Sancho, Watford to Man City £400k. Jordi Alba, Cornella to Valencia £4.1k. Januzaj, Anderlecht to Man Utd £325k.

Again, these are offers from a single club.

OP said he's having the Top 10 clubs of the world after his player. This by itself would lead to a price war until someone who bids the highest gets him, something the game can't replicate.

13 minutes ago, JeffDogg said:

Not how the game works

True. But 1 club is always bigger than another. The big boys in Europe can do this to a top club in Norway, but that same top Norwegian club can do it to another Norwegian club in a lower division / or a similar low rep club from another country. There's almost always someone lower than you in the food chain. If not, you're in trouble. :D

16 hours ago, Exius said:

Use the editor and set the board attributes "Interference" to 1 and/or "Business" to 20, I think...

What is the point of that? Maybe the OP should do the research and find out what its like in real life and ask the researcher to adjust with your evidence. However in this case it would be interesting to see what it actually is as it may help understanding

In the case of the OP I wonder if people are just so used to getting there own way these days that when they dont get it they simply pick up their ball and go home. Lots of good advice to learn lessons from in this thread and also about how the game works and advice on options to prevent or make more money in the future

All challenges no matter how disappointing are to be learnt from. Understanding the game more makes it more immersive

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

True. But 1 club is always bigger than another. The big boys in Europe can do this to a top club in Norway, but that same top Norwegian club can do it to another Norwegian club in a lower division / or a similar low rep club from another country. There's almost always someone lower than you in the food chain. If not, you're in trouble. :D

I've tried multiple times to make a low offer impossible to negociate, and it never works. Sometimes the players gets unhappy for a bit, but it never goes further. I lost countless of players to that method because my players always get very angry about it. Even if the other club is not that big, just on the same level as mine.

5 minutes ago, JeffDogg said:

I've tried multiple times to make a low offer impossible to negociate, and it never works. Sometimes the players gets unhappy for a bit, but it never goes further. I lost countless of players to that method because my players always get very angry about it. Even if the other club is not that big, just on the same level as mine.

You're making it out like 1) you're helpless against bigger clubs and 2) you can't unsettle any player at all and get them for cheaper. Really, not anyone?

Admittedly, it was FM18, but I was in charge of Ajax at a point in my career. Of course, the big clubs were always sniffing around and making cheeky bids. I stood my ground and barely "had to" lose anyone. It's where contract management and of course man (squad) management is key. 

As for unsettling a player, you've managed to unsettle players, so that's good. It's the same thing the AI does to you as well. Now, they also, just like us, will have to have conversations with the unhappy player and the squad. Sometimes they handle that well enough, just like we can.

I rely on my scouts, so while I'm unsettling a player and really twisting the screws, I'll constantly scout the player. That tells me what the estimated fee will be and I can see if and whether it drops and I can then decide if I'm happy with that. Keep in mind, a player doesn't need to be transfer listed just for a club to lower demands or go from not wanting to sell, to listening to offers. :thup: 

10 hours ago, Lanko said:

Again, these are offers from a single club.

OP said he's having the Top 10 clubs of the world after his player. This by itself would lead to a price war until someone who bids the highest gets him, something the game can't replicate.

No, it may lead to a bidding war if the OP didn't fob each club off with a ridiculous demand but instead was a bit savvy about his negotiations. But he didn't.

Though I do miss the option to attach a reason for refusing their bid, such as he's an important team player or the offer is unacceptable etc.

3 hours ago, JeffDogg said:

I've tried multiple times to make a low offer impossible to negociate, and it never works. Sometimes the players gets unhappy for a bit, but it never goes further

You've got to work for it. I've just spent 6 months bidding on a player increasing the amount by a fraction each time, while also relentlessly scouting him with my head scout. The bids kept getting rejected but eventually it got to an amount that the player thought acceptable and kicked off with his manager about rejecting it. I bid a tiny amount more than that over and over again until that I saw he'd been transfer listed by request, when I dropped my offer to what his value was and signed him up.

I've also done that with another player where he was transfer listed by request but had an asking price of higher than his value or what I was offering. It's never a great deal more though and I was happy to pay it. And I've also ended up paying much less than their value too.

And if you're thinking that that sounds exactly like what the AI does to your players, that's because it is. I have news articles all through the season saying X team are lining up one of my players  and are scouting him for months at a time. I'ts all part of the game.

4 minutos atrás, Tom8983 disse:

You've got to work for it. I've just spent 6 months bidding on a player increasing the amount by a fraction each time, while also relentlessly scouting him with my head scout. The bids kept getting rejected but eventually it got to an amount that the player thought acceptable and kicked off with his manager about rejecting it. I bid a tiny amount more than that over and over again until that I saw he'd been transfer listed by request, when I dropped my offer to what his value was and signed him up.

And it's damn satisfying when after months of pursuit you finally get him in your team.

2 hours ago, Tom8983 said:

No, it may lead to a bidding war if the OP didn't fob each club off with a ridiculous demand but instead was a bit savvy about his negotiations. But he didn't.

Though I do miss the option to attach a reason for refusing their bid, such as he's an important team player or the offer is unacceptable etc.

I've also done that with another player where he was transfer listed by request but had an asking price of higher than his value or what I was offering. It's never a great deal more though and I was happy to pay it. And I've also ended up paying much less than their value too.

And if you're thinking that that sounds exactly like what the AI does to your players, that's because it is. I have news articles all through the season saying X team are lining up one of my players  and are scouting him for months at a time. I'ts all part of the game.

Why is it ok for the AI to do it but not when the user does it?
The AI comes back with ridiculous demands ever so often. It's regarded as "not for sale unless you pay ridiculous money". But when the player is doing it it's just ridiculous?

The constant AI low-bidding can be absurd at times, coming back with the same offer low offer time and time again. And sometimes even lowers their bid. It's preposterous.

I had a young GK wonderkid who was worth 65k, playing for MVV Maastricht. My plan was for him to become the new first GK but also realised it would be very tough to keep him at the club.
Clubs came in with bids around a year after the youth intake. They were in the range around 25k to 250k.
No chance i was going to let him go for that kind of money. Had a few million in the bank as well so we weren't struggling financially.
After a few months with the ridiculous low bids i basically set the asking price to £10M. Me telling clubs to sod off unless they want to pay some real money for him (as the AI does).
I also miss the option to attach a reason for the refusal, by the way.

But what happened? One club came back, after a few months and out of the blue with a straight up bid of £10M (it was Watford, of all clubs :D).
I sold him. So it might not be as ridiculous asking for a ridiculous amount of money after all. In addition, it was with a 35% sell on clause on his next transfer.
Just recently now i sold another player. He was worth £97k but i sold him for £4.5M, to Nottingham Forest, after they came with a straight bid. Also with a clause of 40% from the next sale.

The reason why i set my most desired youngsters' asking price to £10M is because that's what i encountered the AI was doing, on several occassions.
And we're talking players with the same value (£40k - £250k).

I never paid it. Has been useless negotiating as well with the stubborn AI.
But when i do the same, apart from those 2 examples above, the AI simply refuses to negotiate and even returns with a lower bid.

That's kind of why i say, why is it ok for the AI but not for the player?

16 hours ago, Snorks said:

Did I just read this right?

Someone has ditched FM19, FM18, FM17, 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9 and FM08 just so that he can exploit a bug in the transfer market?

Wow

Nah. Not just that bug. There are tons of other good stuff in FM 2007. Primarily, it was the second last year before Norway changed their league system. Before 2009 you could have as many EU player you wanted. But only 2 people outside the EU. Meaning only two from Brasil or Romania or whatever. It was fun, because you can get young talents from most of the countries. But after 2008. Norwegian Football Federation changed the league system to only 9 player from outside Norway. (16 players have to be trained in a norwegian club at least 2 year before 18.) Good luck getting talents like that, as most countries can't sign players before they turn 18.That is insanely hard to follow if you want to achieve CL victory (without in-game cheating), as Norway don't have a very high talent factory. Watching a fantastic talent slip away only because you can't get more players from over sea is harsh. 

Since FM never made it possible to skip that part of ruleset, i have stayed out of every FM since 2008, but I found out that FM now had In-game editor, but it did not work as i had hoped. Luckily I manage to rant enough of this, so that some other dude named "Slabbekoorn" on this Forum manage to crack a solution in the Pre-editor for that. Love him for that btw. So I tried this game for a few games and seasons. 

Was fun and all, but this AI ******** is a bugger for me and sadly to important that I can't play it anymore. Sorry, not sorry. 

Now you've admitted that you changed - or at least tried to change - the Norwegian league registration rules so you could get more foreigners into your club, just like you could on FM07? Erm... okay. :D

3 hours ago, roykela said:

Why is it ok for the AI to do it but not when the user does it?
The AI comes back with ridiculous demands ever so often. It's regarded as "not for sale unless you pay ridiculous money".

Because it's meant to put you off from paying that money, just as it does when you quote the AI a ridiculous amount. If you actually pay that then more fool you lol!

But they also come back with a ridiculous quote rather than just outright refusing because people on here were moaning about them refusing to do business, claiming that every player has a price and it wasn't realistic that they'd just say 'the player is not for sale for any amount'.

2 hours ago, CFuller said:

Now you've admitted that you changed - or at least tried to change - the Norwegian league registration rules so you could get more foreigners into your club, just like you could on FM07? Erm... okay. :D

Yeah. Sorry not sorry. Single player game.

Prefer to follow the rules. "prefer". Not always the case.

2 hours ago, turnip said:

Again, at that point why not just use the in-game Editor and give the players you want the right second nationality?

Does not work. That was the idea of mine as well. But it does not give them history. Like the 2009 rules of Eirik Bakke. He went irl to Leeds when he was 16 years old, so even if he was 100% Norwegian, he was counted as a foreigner because he did not spent 2 years time in a Norwegian club between 16 and 18. It's a stupid rule, and probably the reason why the Norwegian league and national team sucks so much.

59 minutes ago, Tom8983 said:

Because it's meant to put you off from paying that money, just as it does when you quote the AI a ridiculous amount. If you actually pay that then more fool you lol!

But they also come back with a ridiculous quote rather than just outright refusing because people on here were moaning about them refusing to do business, claiming that every player has a price and it wasn't realistic that they'd just say 'the player is not for sale for any amount'.

I know very well why it happens when the AI comes with an out of this world acceptable amount. 
If it works one way it really should work the other way around as well. It does not work the other way around (to my benefit, regarding the 2 examples i mentioned :D)
It doesn't put the AI off. It comes back with the same offer or even a lower amount, whereas the human player would either give up or up the bid, up to a subjectively acceptable level.
That is not what the AI generally does. AI tend to come with a similar or worse offer. Especially if there (actually) has been a failed attempts of negotiations earlier.

2 hours ago, roykela said:

It doesn't put the AI off. It comes back with the same offer or even a lower amount, whereas the human player would either give up or up the bid, up to a subjectively acceptable level.

Well you might, or you might continue trying to upset the player. If you don't, that isn't the AI's fault.

15 hours ago, Tom8983 said:

.. You've got to work for it. I've just spent 6 months bidding on a player increasing the amount by a fraction each time, while also relentlessly scouting him with my head scout ...

I’d be interested to hear how regularly you make a bid. Is it weekly, monthly or ... ?

4 hours ago, Tom8983 said:

Well you might, or you might continue trying to upset the player. If you don't, that isn't the AI's fault.

What point, i made, are you actually trying to address?

Archived