I’ve been playing football manager since fm08 and never won silverware, I’ve gained promotion from leagues but never won a major trophy.

I’ve been in a few finals but usually bottle it, I’ve had 4 semi finals in 3 season with my Everton team and lost 3 out of the 4, this is the first one I’ve progressed. 

Any tips for how to manage the game well, or is it simply me having no luck? 

1 hour ago, Ben Hutton said:

I’ve been playing football manager since fm08 and never won silverware, I’ve gained promotion from leagues but never won a major trophy.

I’ve been in a few finals but usually bottle it, I’ve had 4 semi finals in 3 season with my Everton team and lost 3 out of the 4, this is the first one I’ve progressed. 

Any tips for how to manage the game well, or is it simply me having no luck? 

Maybe to ask @Rashidi to do a game-changer episode with your save? 

Use the tools available to you.

Usually, you can get some ideas about opposition strengths and weakness from scouting reports and pre-match analysis. Use this information to devise a plan for how you are going to exploit the weaknesses and mitigate their strengths. For e.g., if an opposition player isn't brave then single them out for hard tackling.

It's also important that you are on top of your man management. Don't start weak minded individuals who the coaches feel dread big matches. Try not to put pressure on the players with the wrong responses in team talks and press conferences while trying to relax them.

Watch the first 10 minutes of the game on full, look for patterns in the way the opposition are attacking and defending then make slight alterations based on what you are seeing. If they are pressing high and hard, play more direct. If they are sitting back and trying to build from the back then press them high etc. 

Make sure you have a good bench which offers you a variety of options for game management. If you can do that then I'm sure it won't be long before you start winning some silverware.

Good luck

Archived