Advice needed, please..

I don't understand what are you trying to achieve with this tactical setup?

For example, a carrilero on the side of the attacking WB makes perfect sense. But on the other side you also have a carrilero, even though the WB is on defend duty (and the striker is F9 btw). So this other carrilero makes no sense. 

Then you play on defensive mentality, but at the same time you are using quite a few instructions that are inconsistent both with the mentality and other instructions. So the question is do you play on defensive mentality because you want to play defensive counter-attacking football, or you want to play so-called defensive possession football (which is actually aimed at keeping the ball not for the sake of attacking and creating chances, but purely in order to prevent the opposition from having the ball)? 

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I don't understand what are you trying to achieve with this tactical setup?

For example, a carrilero on the side of the attacking WB makes perfect sense. But on the other side you also have a carrilero, even though the WB is on defend duty (and the striker is F9 btw). So this other carrilero makes no sense. 

Then you play on defensive mentality, but at the same time you are using quite a few instructions that are inconsistent both with the mentality and other instructions. So the question is do you play on defensive mentality because you want to play defensive counter-attacking football, or you want to play so-called defensive possession football (which is actually aimed at keeping the ball not for the sake of attacking and creating chances, but purely in order to prevent the opposition from having the ball)? 

O.K. I'll try to explain my madness. First, I've got both WB,s on attack, that was an oversight, sorry. How to explain my team instructions. They go back many years to bygone FM's. If you had a narrow 4-1-3-2 formation then it was advised to play through the middle but also play wider. It was also advised to overlapping for both wide defenders, although if you were playing  with a team instruction of counter attacking it didn't need the WB's to have it applied to them individually.

Now, my method of playing a match. Again, it goes back some time. Then, you watched the match odds on the match odds screen and, generally you played thus.

Large home favourites, play attacking.

Close odds at home, play control. Large under dogs at home, play standard.

Slight under dogs away, play counter or defensive.

I still use this method and it seems to work pretty well. I alter the mentality accordingly as the odds indicate for each match. That is just about it. I was hoping to get some help as to improving my team instructions as you say they are a little Heath Robinson. There is certainly madness in my method. Perhaps you might be able to advice on how I might improve them.

This is my early match record for this season. Man.City [A] 1-1, Spurs [H] 2-0 won, Huddersfield [H] 1-0 won and Blackpool. League Cup [H] 4-1 won.

Sorry about the flickr shot, I tried but couldn't get Image Shack to work. I'm thinking that it may now be a paid for site.

10 minutes ago, Tom8983 said:

Umm, I couldn't get the photo to enlarge. Rather than hosting it on an outside site, why not just upload it straight to here?

Tom8983, I'm not pc literate so I'm unsure about how to do that. I'm thinking that all I do is left click on a picture to upload and drag it into here. Right/wrong?

Anyway I've found more inconsistencies in the formation/tactic so I'll sort them out, hopefully, and repost but it might not be today or tomorrow. Hospital appointments, at my age they are my social calendar.

Just now, Finknottle said:

Tom8983, I'm not pc literate so I'm unsure about how to do that. I'm thinking that all I do is left click on a picture to upload and drag it into here. Right/wrong?

Anyway I've found more inconsistencies in the formation/tactic so I'll sort them out, hopefully, and repost but it might not be today or tomorrow. Hospital appointments, at my age they are my social calendar.

That's the theory I believe, but I'm also not great with tech lol, so I just press the 'choose files' link and select them from there.

1 minute ago, Tom8983 said:

That's the theory I believe, but I'm also not great with tech lol, so I just press the 'choose files' link and select them from there.

Muchly thankings, I'll have a go, maybe this evening.

12 hours ago, Finknottle said:

How to explain my team instructions. They go back many years to bygone FM's. If you had a narrow 4-1-3-2 formation then it was advised to play through the middle but also play wider. It was also advised to overlapping for both wide defenders, although if you were playing  with a team instruction of counter attacking it didn't need the WB's to have it applied to them individually.

Now, my method of playing a match. Again, it goes back some time. Then, you watched the match odds on the match odds screen and, generally you played thus.

Large home favourites, play attacking.

Close odds at home, play control. Large under dogs at home, play standard.

Slight under dogs away, play counter or defensive.

Unfortunately, I did not play FM between FM09 and FM18, so I don't know which particular edition(s) you are referring to.

But apart from that, you said this: 

I still use this method and it seems to work pretty well

And also this: 

This is my early match record for this season. Man.City [A] 1-1, Spurs [H] 2-0 won, Huddersfield [H] 1-0 won and Blackpool. League Cup [H] 4-1 won

These are very good results, which means that your tactic is actually working well for your team. Therefore, even though I don't like what I saw in your tactics screenshot, there is no point in offering you any suggestions that would lead to changing a tactic that's been producing so good results for you. If you are pleased with results, do not change the tactic as long as it works.

Archived