Where am i going wrong here

Hello folks.

Seeking a bit of help here.Been playing as Rangers and just about 3/4 of the way through my first season but im struggling to get decent results even though im sitting 2nd place with 12 game to go.Dropping points at home for example against teams like Livingston,Dundee teams that i really should be putting a few goals past and finishing it early,i think i could be going wrong somewhere but where possibly.

My first idea possibly is Morelos,only scored 15 goals so far this season,personally feel he should be getting a few more,is the general CF role suited for him,or have you had any experience with him playing a diffrent role.

I think that my Midfield is balanced correctly with the three on a balanced level of duties,i.e one on support/Defend/Attack.

Any advice appreciated guys at my wits end here at times :D 

TACTIC.PNG

Hi,

About your choice for player roles i kinda like it, altough i have a couple of concerns about:

1) your midfield trio, with CM(a)+BBM(s). I'm seeing two players going into the opponent box, leaving ony the BWM(d) left behind in position to give a option to recycle possession. On top of that your left side with FB(a)+BBM(s)+IF(a) can get easily exposed.

I would, probably, changed the BBM(d) to a more positional player, perhaps a DLP(s) or a CM(s) with the hold position instruction ticked on.

2) I don't think your choice for the lone striker is the best one, in particulary when you have a IF(a) that needs space to cut inside.

I would changed to a CF(s) or, if you want a forward with a attack duty, a DLF(a).

But, apart from those tweaks, what i don't really get is your choice for some team instructions...

Waste time sometimes... why?

Play out of defence, with take long kicks and distribute quickly.... why?

Extremely wide...why? You already have a W(s) stretching the play? Why are you making your IF(a) stay further away from the box?

2 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Hi,

About your choice for player roles i kinda like it, altough i have a couple of concerns about:

1) your midfield trio, with CM(a)+BBM(s). I'm seeing two players going into the opponent box, leaving ony the BWM(d) left behind in position to give a option to recycle possession. On top of that your left side with FB(a)+BBM(s)+IF(a) can get easily exposed.

I would, probably, changed the BBM(d) to a more positional player, perhaps a DLP(s) or a CM(s) with the hold position instruction ticked on.

2) I don't think your choice for the lone striker is the best one, in particulary when you have a IF(a) that needs space to cut inside.

I would changed to a CF(s) or, if you want a forward with a attack duty, a DLF(a).

But, apart from those tweaks, what i don't really get is your choice for some team instructions...

Waste time sometimes... why?

Play out of defence, with take long kicks and distribute quickly.... why?

Extremely wide...why? You already have a W(s) stretching the play? Why are you making your IF(a) stay further away from the box?

Certainly look to try tweak it as you suggest...Why do u not think the CF(a) role is suitable though out of interest..

4 hours ago, Broxi_1873 said:

I think that my Midfield is balanced correctly with the three on a balanced level of duties,i.e one on support/Defend/Attack

It might be well-balanced in terms of duties - when considered in isolation though - but not so much in terms of roles. More specifically, I am referring to the BWM as your "holding" MF. Why him? Because, well, a BWM is not quite a holding role, give his hard-coded aggressive pressing and tackling, which can leave your defense exposed.

Especially the left flank is vulnerable, as Keyzer rightly noted:

4 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

your left side with FB(a)+BBM(s)+IF(a) can get easily exposed

:thup:

5 hours ago, Broxi_1873 said:

Morelos,only scored 15 goals so far this season,personally feel he should be getting a few more

15 goals is not bad at all, to begin with. You don't play him as a poacher, but a CF, which is a lot more demanding role, as he needs to provide a bit of everything -  run around and create for others, and then on top of that get himself on the scoresheet occasionally.

5 hours ago, Broxi_1873 said:

is the general CF role suited for him,or have you had any experience with him playing a diffrent role.

I don't have an experience with Morelos, but when it comes to selection of roles, besides a player's suitability for the role (attributes and traits), you need to consider how a given role fits in with the rest of the tactic. So even if you have a player who is "perfectly" suitable for a particular role, he may still struggle if the role itself is not in harmony with the setup as a whole, especially those around and behind it. A CF is a great role if you have the right player, but does not work equally well in different types of systems. In your system (4141dm wide) for example, I tend to avoid a CF as the lone striker, even if I have an ideal player for the role. Instead, I prefer roles such as F9, DLF on support and PF on support (when I want/need a support-duty striker), or DLF on attack, PF on attack and poacher (if I want/need an attack-duty striker). Systems in which I like to employ a CF role - provided I have the right player - include flat 4141 (as the lone striker) and in two-striker systems, so that I can pair him with a TM or PO (sometimes even with a PF). In your tactic specifically, I think a CF - if used at all - would make more sense on support duty.

17 hours ago, Broxi_1873 said:

Certainly look to try tweak it as you suggest...Why do u not think the CF(a) role is suitable though out of interest..

If you look at the CF(a) default instructions you will see why. 

With attack duty the CF is pretty much a one man show. He will get the ball, and will try to score. He will dribble, he will move into a channel, he will not be the team player that you need in your current tactic. 

You need someone that score goals, but also helps get into play your IF(a) and your MC(a). You need someone that holds the ball and waits for the support, and with a CF with attack duty it's difficult to achieve that. 

Some very sound advice has been offered which should help you although the question you have posted is difficult to answer.

I think it would help you immensely if you went back to the start rather than focus on the minutiae details for the moment. What I would do is the following: 

1) Decide what style of play I wanted (Possession based, direct play, counter-attacking, etc.) and assess whether the quality of player available relative to the opposition is appropriate in order to carry it out. This is where the team comparison screen comes in handy. It also helps if you have an idea of the kind of attributes that are required for a particular style also.

2) Once I've settled on a style I would then pick a formation which suits the style I want to adopt. For e.g., if I settled on a possession-based style I'd want a formation that could dominate the central areas, similarly, if I wanted to play a direct style I'd want a formation which had players high up the pitch early. Choosing the right formation is vitally important as it not only informs how the team sets up when defending but also defines the starting point for when you win possession. If you get this wrong it's going to mean that your ability to carry out the style you wanted will be sub-optimal.

3) After deciding what formation I'm playing I would then focus on what I expect each player in the team to contribute in terms of forward movement which I would do by assigning duties. If I expected the player to mainly hold position and sit behind the ball then I would select a defend duty. If I wanted the player to get involved in both phases of play (attacking and defending) I would choose the support duty. Finally, if I wanted a player to focus mainly on attacking then I'd choose the attack duty. When you add mentality into the mix you'll find that weights each phase of play differently which you can discover by viewing the individual mentalities of the players in the tactics creator. What I would be seeking to achieve during this phase of building a tactic would be to create a balance. For e.g., If I gave one of my fullbacks an attack duty I would then need to provide cover with a defend duty in order to buy time for my fullback to recover back into his defensive position when our attacks break down high up the pitch.

4) Once my duties are sorted then I would work on roles. The duties define what I expect from my players and the roles define how I expect them to carry it out. I'd also be mindful to consider the style of play when deciding what roles to choose. For e.g., a target man and wingers aren't best suited to possession football but come into their own in more direct styles of play. It's important at this point to pick roles which compliment each other while also giving enough variety to remain unpredictable and ultimately to create as many different routes to a goal as possible.

5) Then I would begin to fine-tune the tactic by altering mentality, TIs, and PIs. The idea being that I would want to keep these to an absolute minimum as I should be 90% of the way to creating my tactic already. I should be able to get pretty close to my desired playstyle with the preceding 4 steps, if I have to make a lot of alterations then something has gone wrong and I need to re-assess what I've done. 

If I apply this to the tactic that you posted then you can understand why it is difficult to provide explanations as to what could be going wrong as there doesn't appear to be a clear vision of what it is your looking to see aside from wanting your striker to score more goals. There is also a number of things within the tactic which doesn't look balanced in my opinion.

- You say you want Morelos to be your main goalscorer so why have you got a False 10 who wants to be the main goalscorer also? You don't have a coherent strike partnership in my view, you need a #10 and a #9. As it stands you have 2 #9s. For that reason alone you are likely to face difficulties getting Morelos to function the way you'd like.

- I don't see how you can play out of defence while simultaneously asking the GK to punt it long, that doesn't make much sense to me. I don't really like the play out of defence instruction in this tactic. If you would indulge me in a scenario. Say your GK gives it to one of your defenders against your instruction for him to kick it long. Once it arrives at their feet then what? The only consistent forward pass he is going to be able to pick out which isn't highly risky is going to be into your BWM(D). Both the BBM(S) and the CM(A) will be pushing forward as soon as the ball is in play. Your AMR/AML isn't going to be much help either as they again are going to be miles away. Therefore by choosing that instruction, you are indirectly funnelling most of your attacking play through your BWM(D) which for me isn't a good idea unless he is exceptionally talented at finding space and playmaking which I suspect he isn't as otherwise you would have played him in a playmaking role.

- I agree with @Experienced Defender & @Keyzer Soze on this in that I don't like the CF as a lone striker. He drifts wide way too much and doesn't contribute what I need from a lone striker. The role I would choose in the case you wanted to keep the AML as an IF(A) would be a False 9. That would give me a #10 and #9 partnership. 

- What is the reasoning behind the instructions to deliver whipped crosses, waste time and play extremely wide?

Rangers are one of the best teams in Scotland alongside Celtic so you are likely to face a number of teams playing on lower mentalities against you throughout the season. The question you need to ask yourself is what is the best counter for that? There are weaknesses to every approach which you need to identify and prepare for so that when teams like Dundee or Livingston come calling you are ready and can exploit those weaknesses to get the goals you need to win the games comfortably. From my perspective, defenders don't like being forced into making decisions, the more times a game you can do that the better. The idea is that the movement of your attacking players forces them to commit to a course of action with the premise that you want to punish either choice.

For e.g. say you're playing a False 9 and IF(A) strike partnership. The movement of the False 9 is either going to create space for himself or space for the IF(A). In that instance, a central defender has to make a choice when the False 9 drops off the front. He can either follow him which will leave space behind him which the IF(A) can exploit or he can stay put and give the False 9 loads of time and space in a very dangerous area. Ideally, what you want to do is set up as many of those types of scenarios as possible. Another important factor is having sufficient depth and width that pulls opposition defenders out of position and also attacking at a speed which makes it difficult for the opponent to recover defensively.

Finally, another avenue which you could exploit is using pressing effectively which you haven't done in the tactic you posted. The less time the opponent has on the ball the better it is for your team. Eventually, after facing attack after attack from a variety of different angles the opposition will be forced into a mistake. The more attacks they have to face the higher the probability of them making mistakes becomes. They would have to play a perfect defensive game to deprive you of scoring goals whereas you only need 1 mistake in order to score. Maintaining perfection when you have an ability deficit and are tiring after each attack is exceptionally hard. Sometimes breaking down a team isn't even tactical, a substitution to bring on fresh legs can make the difference against tired defenders who incidentally the AI doesn't like to substitute unless there are injuries.        

Good luck with it and hopefully what I've written has been helpful

I can spot three potential issues looking at the roles.

currently, you have a lot of runners but few players who create. Your IF will look to score, your  BBM (S) and CM (A) are also players who make runs from deep. I can only see the winger create something for your striker.

Your striker, with the complete forward role, will be a jack of all trades. If you want him to be your main scoring outlet, you could look at a player who will be in the box more often and leave the creating part to other players. With roaming activated he will be all over the place, hence why your winger doesn’t always have a target in the box to cross to.

As mentioned, your BMW (D) should be your screen in front of defense. You should look out for issues with his natural behavior of pressing heavily. With your other CM’s, more aggressive left back, and IF this could be an issue.

Archived