Hello guys. I come here with great pressure on my head. I am currently managing harrogate town in Vanarama National League. We have been drawn in a FA Cup (or trophy) 3 round match against AFC Bournemouth who are currently in Sky Bet League One. Now, obviously we are huge underdogs but I wanted some suggestions so that we can hope for the best results and keep our supporters happy.

The reason I am posting this thread is that I have noticed whenever we have to play a match against such a big team, the players play their worse game like clearing the ball to an opponent, doing own goals, getting red cards, and giving penalty and thus making the match impossible to win.

I certainly don't hope to win but I also dont want to accept my defeat if players play in such a manner.

Quick replies are always appreciated.

Edited by AshKing15

Dont put any pressure on them pre-match and let them go into the game and enjoy it. Play counter and hope to grab a goal on the breakaway.

I am afraid but it didn't help in the least.

I played the match thrice and guess what?! 

Three matches Three Red Cards Four Penalties.

Thats What I am Talking About Man !!

Why are you surprised that your players perform worse against a team that is a lot bigger/stronger than yours? 

Also, why would you replay the game? If anything, it will mess with your perception. 

2 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Why are you surprised that your players perform worse against a team that is a lot bigger/stronger than yours? 

Also, why would you replay the game? If anything, it will mess with your perception.

I would obviously not get surprised If the opponent who is infinitive times better play like hell for us but if my players themselves give penalties and red cards then how can anyone expect anything.

I replayed the match not to mess my perception but to build it up. I wanted to analyse a series of events against the same opponent with same team with different formations and actually its to my surprise that you aren't amazed at such results.

Anyways No Offence.

It's because your players will be under a lot of pressure from their opponents, get less time on the ball, will have trouble following the tempo as your opponent is a lot better,... This will obviously result in more mistakes by your team. Penalties and red cards are part of the game. 

So no, it doesn't surprise me. It might even be that your tactical setup (aggressive roles, aggressive pressing and tackling, just to name a few) is a a trigger for what you're describing. 

Edited by KlaaZ
2 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

It's because your players will be under a lot of pressure from their opponents, get less time on the ball, will have trouble following the tempo as your opponent is a lot better,... This will obviously result in more mistakes by your team. Penalties and red cards are part of the game. 

So no, it doesn't surprise me. It might even be that your tactical setup (aggressive roles, aggressive pressing and tackling, just to name a few) is a a trigger for what you're describing. 

Yeah pressure could be a potential cause but I tried balanced,defensive and attacking typed formations but pressure should cause upset in 1-2-3 matches though my analysis included 5 games after which I accepted the team's fate 😅. (maybe because the result was much more satisfying 3-4 loss.)

What did you say in the pre-match Press Conference?

If you put pressure on the players and saved the game afterwards, you'll always be at a mental disadvantage, no matter how many times you replay the match.

1. Read the report from your coaches for the players getting the red cards: do they have "competitive streak" feature? If the answer is yes then there is the reason for a constant red card

2. Chill out, a team from conference/national league RARELY gets past round 3 even less possible against a former premier/championship team

3. If u put pressure on your squad saying "we can win" im sure the players will tackle harder due to frustration while being owned by a far superior oponent

In short don't drown in a glass of water man, did you lose 0-10, thats the way it is, just turn the page over and don't try the almost imposible

12 hours ago, WorcesterLegend said:

In short don't drown in a glass of water man, did you lose 0-10, thats the way it is, just turn the page over and don't try the almost imposible

Yeah I realized the same so I accepted that no matter what, we were the losers even if I had played 100 times and even if the players would have been at their best.

On 19/05/2019 at 14:45, AshKing15 said:

I would obviously not get surprised If the opponent who is infinitive times better play like hell for us but if my players themselves give penalties and red cards then how can anyone expect anything.

I replayed the match not to mess my perception but to build it up. I wanted to analyse a series of events against the same opponent with same team with different formations and actually its to my surprise that you aren't amazed at such results.

Anyways No Offence.

Your players are up against a much higher standard of opposition than they are. They will be facing a side who move the ball quicker, players who keep the ball better and so any time they go for a tackle there is going to be more risk of them mistiming it, or they're more likely to hold their opponent to try and keep control or any of a dozen other offences.

Of course when you play a better team you're more likely to give up fouls and receive bookings.

This is very much a generalization from me but:

You are playing against a team with far better players than yours. By that I mean across the board. Mentally, technically and physically - they will be fitter, faster, more agile which means your players are far more likely to foul.

Lower Decision attributes - your players will make rash decisions on whether to tackle or not = more than likely commit more fouls than they usually would.

Opposition better Agility - your players are more likely to foul them as they are a little slower to react.

In essence, by the time your player shave decided to tackle, committed to the tackle, the ball has moved away.

An opposition who is harder to tackle coupled with your players who are slower and make rash decisions.

There is solid advice already posted about how to deal with this regarding pressure and team talks to trey and mitigate the issue but that is the inherent cause of the problem.

Edited by Snorks