I'm new so I don't know how much this has been discussed here, but I have seen older threads about the women's game from a few years ago. I understand that SI say that the Women's game needs to bring in Championship level crowds before they consider scouting it. Is it me, or does anyone else think this is an excessive number expected? Most of the women's teams play at lower league grounds, and so will never bring in 20k+ crowds regularly until we see the teams being treated as separate entities to the Men's game. However, in the last two years, we have seen games reach Premier League crowds. England are doing really well and it's an exciting competition.

Not everyone is going to want to play it, but can I point out how little interest I have in playing about 80% of the leagues on the Men's game. It would help give the game a boost, with a proper collection of players and NextGen's that aren't generated as 'Alan' or 'Mike'. Surely SI can make enough through all their games to do something small, even if it's a small challenge or mini-game alongside the men's league.

Would it not be possible to have a possible selection on the 'New Career' menu where you could pick 'Men, Women or both'?

What do people think?

What do SI say now, knowing how much the Women's game has grown in the last 24 months? Or are they not really interested?

This has been discussed many times before, and all the major obstacles are still there.

The Women's FA Cup Final does get Premier League-sized attendances, as do some England internationals, but they are just one-off games. The record attendance for a WSL game was set last week at just over 5,000, which is barely League One level. Even looking outside England, you will struggle to find any league that has average attendances of around 5,000 (even the American league struggles on that front).

There still needs to be substantial growth in interest in women's football worldwide before SI will consider adding it to FM. They can't - and won't - look at it only through an English perspective and introduce a women's football mode just because England happen to be doing well right now.

Also, you are underestimating the time, research and resources needed to adequately cover top-level women's football. Don't forget that a separate match engine will need to be built to reflect the differences between the women's game and the men's game. Simply making a WSL mini-game around the base ME won't be acceptable.

Maybe things will be different in a few years, and women's football will be big enough for SI to justify covering it.

7 minutes ago, CFuller said:

This has been discussed many times before, and all the major obstacles are still there.

The Women's FA Cup Final does get Premier League-sized attendances, as do some England internationals, but they are just one-off games. The record attendance for a WSL game was set last week at just over 5,000, which is barely League One level. Even looking outside England, you will struggle to find any league that has average attendances of around 5,000 (even the American league struggles on that front).

There still needs to be substantial growth in interest in women's football worldwide before SI will consider adding it to FM. They can't - and won't - look at it only through an English perspective and introduce a women's football mode just because England happen to be doing well right now.

Also, you are underestimating the time, research and resources needed to adequately cover top-level women's football. Don't forget that a separate match engine will need to be built to reflect the differences between the women's game and the men's game. Simply making a WSL mini-game around the base ME won't be acceptable.

Maybe things will be different in a few years, and women's football will be big enough for SI to justify covering it.

Shows just how little I know about making the game! Fair points made. Shame really. I think there's an irony that it would help the profile of the game if it was on. Maybe one day, and maybe there will be a company who aim a game at the women's leagues.

Well, that was a short thread!

• 4 weeks later...

It will come eventually, but there has to be enough interest in the IRL game before it becomes financially viable for SI to invest the time and resources to create it in-game.

If there was forecast profit in it then I don;t doubt that it would be in the game already - that's just a fact of commercial life. If there's no profit in something no business worth it's salt would invest in it and SI are not a massive company with a big turnover.

On a serious note, the addition of women's football to FM just has not been worth it for many years simply because there isn't the fan base or profit to be made. Women's football is steadily growing and growing and growing and it this upward trend continues, I am sure we will see the women's game in FM at some point in the future.

Look at the 3D match - for many years SI said they wouldn't do it. Now the vast majority couldn't play FM without it.

There is a Womens League Database on Steam.   Problem is, it seems to replace the FM Database, rather than adding to it.

I would definitely be a fan of Managing a club on FM, having full control over the Mens Team, with the Womens Team available to either control myself or "appoint" an Assistant to control.

I commented on this on a facebook page yesterday ... it's an interesting idea but the demand wouldn't be high enough at all.  And my question to anyone who wants it and is adamant it should be there ... 

Name one player from every WSL team, one from every top division team in each of these ... France, Germany, Italy, USA and Spain ... once a massive percentage of us can do this, i think SI will see the benefit of either creating a game or a database for women's football. 

I don't know enough or think the information is easily accessible to even name you the teams in those top divisions, never mind a player! 

Archived