How much RAM does the game use

I know it isn't much, but I'm guessing it might increase over 30 years which could be a problem with some devices.

How many leagues is it feasible to play for 30 years with about 500mb free ram? Not including player portraits.

• SI Staff

The game is designed to require a fairly 'constant' amount of memory during play - the idea is that if you are able to start playing the game then you should be able to play as many seasons as you want to (up to the 30 season season end point).

Depending on the OS variant, hardware etc. the actual requirements will vary because individual devices/OS's have different sized memory block allocations etc. ... so I'm afraid I can't give a precise recommendation in this regard, however the game DOES try and detect marginal systems and restrict them to a single league being available ... if you can select multiple leagues then you should be 'ok' to run them generally.

PS - Memory usage to play and space for storage are very different things, the biggest effect from player portraits is on memory storage space (which can be excessive) ... their being present during play doesn't affect memory requirements too heavily.

Thanks Marc.

That clears up my concern about starting with too many leagues and running into memory issues later.

I ran into this problem with the PC version around fm 10-12 with the game becoming very sluggish with increasing ram usage after about 10 years despite starting within recommended limits, so I'm assuming that memory optimization has been improved which is great.

Edit: Also I'm not too sure about the portrait situation. The fact remains they have to be swapped in and out of memory, and with close to max ram usage, they will cause a lot of loading and unloading when browsing players. I just assume they are not worth the bytes,

• SI Staff

[

On 10/05/2019 at 00:27, JimJobs2 said:

Edit: Also I'm not too sure about the portrait situation. The fact remains they have to be swapped in and out of memory, and with close to max ram usage, they will cause a lot of loading and unloading when browsing players. I just assume they are not worth the bytes, 

The pictures are stored in the devices storage which can take up a LOT of space if you have a high resolution screen (you're looking at 400mb most likely for the standard install, far more if you're using one of the packs from vibe).

In actual 'usage' however the pictures are swapped in and out of memory BUT they're always loaded into the same space so they shouldn't mean it hurts the stability of the game or the overall memory usage, just the storage space required on the device.

Archived