Identifying Players for retraining

On football manager, in my squad I try to make sure that I have two players in each position and that one is English (when managing in England). Currently I can't find any good enough left backs to be my 2nd choice, so I'm looking for players for retraining, is there anyway I can find players via scouting that can be retrained at Left Back, as currently I'm trying to retrain my back up left midfielder there but he has low professionalism so he's probably not a long term solution. For example this guy has the right attributes but I dont know if he could be retrained, so if he can't there isn't any reason to sign him.

Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 14.20.13.png

It tends to be harder to retrain older players, so given he's 29, I'd have said it'd be unlikely he could retrain properly as a left-back. That doesn't mean, of course, that he couldn't do a decent job there.

I’d tend to look for a younger player who can play as a DML or ML, preferably DML, as he would almost certainly be able to play as DL. Alternatively, perhaps  a DC who prefers to be on the left of a two or three DC formation. Another alternative may be a DR with a decent left foot. As a general rule the younger the player the more easily will he be able to adapt to a new position.

My assistant recently recommended that I retrain my 33 year old mercurial playmaker type who plays AMC/AMR as a CM. I went along with it but was a bit dubious as to whether he'd have the legs to play CM as his physical stats decline. I suppose it would be a bit like when Giggs moved deeper later in his career. Noting the points above will update as to how he gets on.

I'd generally search for "left foot - is - very strong", and then set a filter where basically all the attributes I want for that DL role I set the minimum of 10. Then of the ones left, I'd go for younger or more versatile players - part of the reason Ashley Young has done so well in defence is that he was already used to switching roles and flanks in offensive positions, I think. Its part of his character to apply himself to the new task too. Whereas I look at Klaas-Jan Huntelaar at Ajax, he has one natural position (ST) and no other ones even competent, someone like that would be tougher to retrain. 

Archived