Does anybody agree that FM 2019 is maybe the best ever?

Hi, I just want to know is there anybody else who share my opinion

After FM2016, 2017 and 2018 which are for me the worst in series I think I'm finally in love with FM again. I started playing 2019 just 3 months ago and for me, it is really fun.
I think there is just one thing they need to improve and that is inside forwards/wingers players.

Match engine now again has that mix between realism and totally unrealistic (but fun) parts like for example goals after corners. My central two defenders scored about 15 goals in a season. I remember in FM 2005 this was the case, you buy player like Naldo and he will scrore with headers a lot. That is fun part for me because now I can search for big defenders with high jumping attribute and I know he will use that.

Also, through balls are great fun for me in this version, like for example in FM 2012, where killer balls with players like Verratti were really fun to watch.

I don't say that game is perfect but the engine is most interesting for me in years. I would just like to see inside forwards work like in the FM2015. They are pretty much useless for me in this game. They never dribble, they never score nice goals when they cut inside etc, no matter what attributes they have, Reus, Depay ... FM 2015 had perfect match engine for inside forwards. I would like to see FM 2020 with almost the same match engine with only inside forwards improved. I want to see screamers from players with good finishing and long shots, like Salah did this weekend, like inside forwards regularly do.

Edited by Marko1989

Nope I have stopped playing it . Found it was all hoo haa and actually has gone backwards . The 3D is so disappointing graphics wise its embarrassing . ME was better on the first release but somehow they have stuffed it up in 19.3

FM17 is far better . Last time I buy this game now . It would have to be a revolutionary step for me to buy again.

I feel that pretty much every version of FM is a step forward, albeit each with their own issues.

For FM19, I'm enjoying it and are now up to 761 hours and counting. No game breaking things, a good match engine with some small issues, but most can be remedied with tactics. Some slight UI issues here and there (custom views as an example), but nothing that bothers me a lot.

I agree, I think it is a step forward. I can certainly tell you its the quickest, of the recent editions (well it is on my laptop). The processing of the days is definitely quicker. I am really enjoying this version.

Nice to hear that there are some guy who agree with me, but from those who say that it is the worst engine ever, do you mind to give some reasons for that? I don't see anything game-breaking. Like for example long shots in 2018 etc.

Like @XaW, I feel that FM generally improves year-on-year (though FM18 was a slight misstep in my eyes). Unlike some other users, though, I won't describe FM19 in extremes. Generally, I feel it's very good and enjoyable to play, and that's enough to keep me hooked.

The Match Engine has its quirks, but it's ridiculous to suggest that it's all about long shots or set-pieces or gegenpressing or "I had 47 shots but still didn't score". As I've stated plenty of times before, I see a healthy variety of goals, and the tactics overhaul gives me more control over how my team plays. Also, the new training module is excellent (and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't require a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering to understand).

My only gripes with FM19 are minor. There are a few user interface issues and bugs that mildly annoy me, but I can gloss over them because the rest of the game is so solid and stable. In nearly 550 hours of playtime, I've not had a single crash dump (only a BSOD that was completely unrelated to the game).

Anyway, I can't help feeling that some of this feedback should go in... well, the feedback thread.

4 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

Nice to hear that there are some guy who agree with me, but from those who say that it is the worst engine ever, do you mind to give some reasons for that? I don't see anything game-breaking. Like for example long shots in 2018 etc.

I have written this in so many topics, I can't even remember, but I will keep it very very short.

- Absolute lack of central play. Zero central play.

- Strikers are not moving off the ball. They are very static regardless of the role. Yes, they will drop deep on certain role, but that is not what Off The Bal;l Movement is or should be. This alone is game breaking for me, as it is the point above.

- Defences are way way too narrow regardless of the team's reputation.

I could go on and on, but I have done this in the official feedback thread, I provided videos, etc. Point is, from a tactical perspective, this match engine is .... a write off. I understand why some people like it, it it couldnt be more further from any sort of framework it should represent.

9 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

- Absolute lack of central play. Zero central play.

auXdw7Z.png

Really? Zero? As in none? As you see in my image I have a healthy spread of assist locations. And most of my assists comes from short passes or through balls.

I'd like to see your overview with 0 assists from central areas? Or are we talking hyperbole here?

Definitely not for me.  In fact despite having a high degree of polish in many areas I think FM19 has put me off of FM for quite some time, for the following reasons:

1) Man management still sucks.  Tons of obnoxious and unrealistic feeling interactions with players, and promises are too frequently unclear and will be considered broken even when you think you've kept them.

2) New training module is baffling.  By giving me more control they've actually given me less, because I'm so overwhelmed by the thousands of combinations and permutations that I leave the whole thing to my assman and have no clear way to deal with it when players are unhappy in training.

3) Match engine is just not very fun to watch.  Tons of blocked shots and crosses, turning/retreating problems in midfield and defense, extremely unrealistic deflection physics, strange streaky finishing where it often seems easier to score from distance than from point blank range, and hyper-aggressive attacking/pressing tactics are definitely OP.

4) Little things that may only matter to me.  Like custom views are still pretty broken.  And star ratings have inexplicable fluctuations and seem incongruous on different screens.

Edited by jujigatame
2 minutes ago, XaW said:

auXdw7Z.png

Really? Zero? As in none? As you see in my image I have a healthy spread of assist locations. And most of my assists comes from short passes or through balls.

I'd like to see your overview with 0 assists from central areas? Or are we talking hyperbole here?

Those numbers mean exactly nothing. It's all about the build up, etc. Create a tactic that is meant to play centrally, then jump in FM whatever edition except 16 and 19 and then try the same thing in FM16 and FM19 ... and THEN you can tell me all about it. Once you actually see the difference in ACTION, not in some numbers ... then you let me know how central play works out in FM19.

1 minute ago, SebastianRO said:

Those numbers mean exactly nothing. It's all about the build up, etc. Create a tactic that is meant to play centrally, then jump in FM whatever edition except 16 and 19 and then try the same thing in FM16 and FM19 ... and THEN you can tell me all about it. Once you actually see the difference in ACTION, not in some numbers ... then you let me know how central play works out in FM19.

Really? Nothing? So assist locations give no idea of how play works? So if I can show you a goal that involves a lot of central play, would that be enough? I see you claim the lack of central play, and I show you something that indicates otherwise. You simply discredit it. 

Here is a goal with central play, it comes after a throw in and some passes centrally:

Ignore the jittyness, it's one of the small issues with the game for me. It looks fine for me, but when uploaded to youtube it becomes like this.

Or how about this one? A bit of scrappy at the end, but the central play is there in the build up.

So, yeah, that's how it works out for me.

Well I was disappointed by FM19. But after this I tried to play in few old FMs - 08(!), 12, 15, 17 and 18. After this journey I back to FM19 and I guess yes its the best SI creature right now.

I played few seasons and even enjoy them, but stop now because newgens are unbalanced random guys IMO. It was always and I wrote about newgens issue in every FM because this still not fixed

Anyway I notice that I'm not really addict by FM like just 1-2 years ago and will wait for really breakthrough FM version for playing new save. Current FM paradigm getting rid of itself (just for me at least)

Edited by Novem9

I can see this thread is going to quickly descend into a giant moan thread, so I will get in before that.

I think FM19 started extremely shakily. There were huge problems with striker movement which were as close to a game breaking issue as I have seen in FM for a very long time. This has been fully resolved in the winter patch, so this is no longer an issue here. I think the ME is excellent (and I will court controversy by suggesting most people who think it is bad are not very good at the game, as in they do not know how create tactics). The graphics engine, as always, can use some more work, but I'd rather have a less than optimal graphics engine and a great match engine than the reverse. The vast majority of complaints I have seen in the game seem to be from people setting up tactics poorly, and thus seeing crappy football. I can categorically state that I can create pleasing football that uses both central and wide areas, does not generate huge numbers of long shots, spreads the goals around my team, and defends as well as my not so great defenders allow. I would like to see some more incisive through balls from midfielders, but it is a minor gripe (I see enough, I would just prefer more).

Other than that, I think this is an excellent game. The new tactics module allows for a greater degree of control, allowing to control all three phases of play much easier. It took me a little getting used to, but it is a welcome addition. I have not yet played around with the training module, because it looks a little intimidating. I will do it, I just need to think carefully about it before I take the plunge. Once I have an idea of how it works, I think it is an improvement over the old system, which was pretty much as low detail as you could get. It is also worth pointing out that your assistant generally does a fine job if you leave him to it.

I will not comment on the default UI, since I use a user created skin.

The pre-game editor is pretty good, easy to use, and with good integration of advanced rules. The system for validating the advanced rules needs serious work (I do not expect to see much, it is a niche part of the game after all). The lack of clarity on why a set of rules will not validate is often impossible to understand. I'd like to see the ability to test things in the full game (perhaps a special mode that can only be used to test, where you can actually see what is going on during the test).

All in all, it is a great game, definitely continuing the trend of incremental improvements. I do not think I could go back and play FM17 after playing this game, for example. Which is a sign of progress for me.

3 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

I can see this thread is going to quickly descend into a giant moan thread, so I will get in before that.

I'll concede my choice of words might have been overly crass, so I'll tone it down.

I do still think central play is quite possible though. And I think you are on point as to the tactical usage of a lot of players. It might be harder to create tactics that use the central areas than in earlier versions, but far from impossible.

Since I love attention to details, those little things that are not enough to be advertised as new features but make your game much better, and FM19 has LOTS of them... yes, I agree with you. To me FM19 is also the best ever.

I know some people are unhappy with the ME, and I hear their complains, I just wouldn't be honest if I would share them. I've been able to play the football I like the most (and yes it's both possession and some gegenpressing style, not a damn parking bus), I'm ejoying it a lot season after season, I don't think it's perfect but it is, for me, really really good.

Already have 1200+ hours at FM19 and counting. For comparison, I had a bit less than 800h at FM18. 

I love 19 as a whole and believe off the pitch it's the strongest it's been for a good while - proof being that I have played it consistently since launch but I also think that whilst the ME may get a lot of things right and has improved in numerous ways over the past few years, it has taken a big step back in 19 & is pretty uninspired and largely insipid (for my own tastes), detracting from the experience overall - I for one, cannot wait to be rid of it!

I realise that by making such a claim/suggesting my opinion is equally as valid I'm stepping on the toes of the sanctimonious overlord above, but others have supported my theory (thankfully, as I've long since been a subscriber to the thought that self praise is no recommendation!) that I'm quite good at the game this year which would render the arrogant sweeping statement that "only the useless dislike it" as somewhat null and void

@XaW  I kind of get what @SebastianRO is saying (although it does come across as an exaggeration) because sometimes - depending on set up and opponent - wing play can be over prevalent.  "Too many crosses" we've probably all heard about or even seen for ourselves.

It can be possible to reduce such play, but that then may lead to moving away from a desired play style and the way to achieve it isn't always obvious anyway.  "I've told my players to cross less and they still make loads of crosses" (for example) isn't exactly unheard of - the problem being of course that other tactical instructions have an impact on crosses, not just telling players to cross less.  That isn't always clearly understood and an area of the game which could be improved.

Anyway, back to the OP - overall I'd agree FM19 is the next step up as each iteration of FM is.  Sure there are bugs and quirks I don't enjoy (really, you're asking me for another new contract again and how exactly did I upset you in that press conference?) but yeh I think it's the best there's been so far.

4 minutes ago, herne79 said:

@XaW  I kind of get what @SebastianRO is saying (although it does come across as an exaggeration) because sometimes - depending on set up and opponent - wing play can be over prevalent.  "Too many crosses" we've probably all heard about or even seen for ourselves.

It can be possible to reduce such play, but that then may lead to moving away from a desired play style and the way to achieve it isn't always obvious anyway.  "I've told my players to cross less and they still make loads of crosses" (for example) isn't exactly unheard of - the problem being of course that other tactical instructions have an impact on crosses, not just telling players to cross less.  That isn't always clearly understood and an area of the game which could be improved.

Yes, that's why I moderated myself in a later post. I found it to be harder to get good central play than earlier version, but in my mind that's positive, not negative.

However, and I've written about this several places, including suggesting things about in in the correct forum, there is a severe lack of contextual feedback from the game in regards to how and why things happen. Of course, it's possible through trial and error, but better feedback from the game is an area I really hope will improve in future versions. Though, this has never been implemented good enough in the game in any version in my opinion.

The hard thing for SI to do, is how much should they hold the players hand in doing things. And how much explanation should the game give, how much football knowledge should SI expect of the player? Knowing that telling the players to "play through the middle" will cause LESS central play if the rest of the tactical instructions are in a certain way is not obvious for everyone. Though for a lot of us old farts who have been doing this for way too many hours, it's often fairly easy to spot how and why things happen. And I'm not even that good at tactics in FM (but I do have a major interest in it in real life)).

And this is kind of my issue with a lot of players stating exaggerated opinions as facts when it's quite often down to poor tactical instructions. While there are issues with the ME, no doubt, the fact that users cannot create the visual play they are trying to aren't necessarily down to bugs. And some bugs are even possible to negate with tactical instructions while waiting for SI to fix it!

Honestly I haven't cared much for FM19...

The lack of strikers movement in the early days was maddening, and while it has improved a bit, I still find strikers still too lazy or errative (especially the lone #9),

To me the biggest disappointment was the revamped traning module. Profoundly unnecessary, yet another overcomplication of something that was working fine as it was. Realism should never get in the way of user-friendliness, and surely the new schedule system requires A LOT of tinkering for what I maintain is negligible gain.
Then there are old issues like players interaction being as sensible as an argument involving middle-schoolers.

Oh and the TC, while apparently improved, hasn't really solved the long-standing problem of your team playing NOWHERE NEAR as what you'd think they would... The general tactical styles are ok on paper, but the ME's "favourite moves" are still prevalent. Be it crossing, lack of regrouping, long shots, fumbles, defensive laziness etc, there always seems to be something that the ME throws at you, whether you pick Vertical Tiki Taka or Parking the Bus.

And my pet-peeve, the Role/Duty circles! As I've ranted about before, if the "full green" circle is going to disrupt a tactical setup, it shouldn't be green! Or at least it'd return a green circle (ie. player in his ideal role), but a red pitch square (ie. it doesn't fit the tactics).

Scouting is a bit hit-and-miss, but I don't mind it (except when your scouts recommend you a player who's worth like your entire Starting XI), AI transfers are still mind-bogglingly bad at times too.

All in all, it's a matter of "new is always better" because you immediately get used to the UI and to the additions, but I honestly can't say I have found overwhelming improvements from a few iterations ago (barring the truly flawed ones).

I havnt played 17 or 18 as I didn't have a pc. I have just got one and was playing fm 16 for a bit but have just got 19 and I think its seems a lot easyer. Atm anyway. Doing the dafuge challenge.