What do to with overlapping when playing 532?

I have a 532 that is very defensively solid except for when the opposing team has inside forwards and their wingbacks are in wide attacking positions. My central defenders are giants and are great at marking, and anticipating, but still let smaller forwards head the ball into the goal on a semi regular basis. I have marking on all the central player of the opposition, and pressing on their wide players to interrupt crosses. If i man mark their Inside forward I'm afraid their overlapping wingbacks will just get more space, and I can't man mark the wingbacks because that will drag my players way out of position(?).

The tactic is working great otherwise. I understand that this is a logical flaw with the formation, but if you have any tips on how i can minimize it that would be great

1990411530_532Nogoals.thumb.png.ca3c3a5f130dc91a89e4d68754ec8aec.png

This is the template, usually do some changes depending on the opposition.

I seem to minimise overlapping and crossing with aggressive pressing from my WBRL and MCRL. Also I don't man mark in this part of the field. Keep your defense  narrow in my opinion. I assume that defending wide is better for quick agile ball playing defenders. Not sure on that one. Consolidate the middle. Your defenders can mark v well I assume.

Opposition teams sometimes pull of beckham like crosses from deep to which I say well played.

Currently I'm using a similar formation except it's a 5-2-3. 

The focus play through the middle TI could be a source of your problem because it increases the mentalities of your CBs and of the defend-duty CM (DLPde). And you already have overlaps on both flanks, which likewise increase the mentalities of your wing-backs. I don't know which team you manage, but your players probably are not good enough to play with this kind of aggressive instructions.

Another problem could be the combo of higher DL and higher LOE. You should improve your vertical compactness by dropping the LOE a notch or two down (for example: higher DL/standard or lower LOE). A lower LOE especially makes sense given that you seem to be trying to play counter-attacking football.

41 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

The focus play through the middle TI could be a source of your problem because it increases the mentalities of your CBs and of the defend-duty CM (DLPde). And you already have overlaps on both flanks, which likewise increase the mentalities of your wing-backs. I don't know which team you manage, but your players probably are not good enough to play with this kind of aggressive instructions.

Another problem could be the combo of higher DL and higher LOE. You should improve your vertical compactness by dropping the LOE a notch or two down (for example: higher DL/standard or lower LOE). A lower LOE especially makes sense given that you seem to be trying to play counter-attacking football.

Thanks for the advice, I will implement it and see how it works out. Would you advice me to drop both overlap and play trough middle or just one of them?

The user above you said he approached the problem by increasing pressing on his wingbacks and MCRL, do you agree with that?

36 minutes ago, teoememy said:

Would you advice me to drop both overlap

The Overlap instruction is primarily aimed at wingers (generic term) to hold up the ball and wait for a fullback (generic term) to overlap them.  It has no impact on what central midfielders do.

Technically the instruction also increases the mentality of fullbacks/wingbacks slightly, which is the only effect the TI will have on your team.  Is that why you are using it?

2 hours ago, teoememy said:

Would you advice me to drop both overlap and play trough middle or just one of them?

I would definitely advice you to drop the Focus play through the middle. As for overlaps, they can be a good attacking tool in your tactic, but I would consider tweaking your roles in the midfield a bit.

Given that you don't have wingers/wide forwards, the overlap TI affects only the mentality of your WBs. Of course, you know your players, so you should be able to assess if a certain instruction could make your tactic too risky.

2 hours ago, teoememy said:

The user above you said he approached the problem by increasing pressing on his wingbacks and MCRL, do you agree with that?

Basically no, but it's a matter of anyone's personal approach. My approach is different, but that does not mean that his is wrong. I am very cautious with pressing instructions because I prefer my team to keep as stable defensive shape as possible. 

14 hours ago, herne79 said:

Technically the instruction also increases the mentality of fullbacks/wingbacks slightly, which is the only effect the TI will have on your team.  Is that why you are using it?

I'm afraid I misunderstood the TI then, I figured it made my CMRL make use of overlapping fullbacks more often.

Archived