FM19 - struggling with contracts and salaries

So players want to negotiate a new contract, just because they have played a couple of first team games or because I declined couple of offers. These players have 2-3 years left on their contract and their agents come up to negotiate. Also players are negotiating for a lot higher salaries too, followed by lot higher raises after 20 goals. 

this is different than in previous versions of the game, this can't be the reality of the game. a player moving from B to first, gets a bump but going from say 17K to 400K anf then 1.1M after 20 goals seems a bit intense.  similarly for youngsters.

would love some thought on this.

Just because a player asks, doesn't mean that you have to give in to the demand.  If you are successful, then tell them that they have plenty of time left on their current deal and if they complain again, just ride it out.  Most times you will win this battle.

yeah I pretty much never give a contract upgrade unless it is the final year of his contract - unless he is something exceptional like a 20 year old 4 star CA wonderkid. and when i do give contracts i always add in ridiculous bonuses that are unlikely to be achieved (goals for defenders, champions league wins, team of the year, etc) and drive down the main wage/signing bonus as much as possible.

• 6 months later...

I had a player not long into his contract looking for more money. He was only on £800 p/w and I was thinking I'd be happy to pay £1200 but he comes with his agent, wanting £2.5k p/w plus a huge signing on fee and a big bung for his agent. The club simply doesn't have the funds so talks collapsed. A few weeks later the same player gets moody again over money. Thus time though I have an option to suggest he fires his agent. This he does and we quickly do a deal for a fraction of what it would have cost the club.