"Ugly" Football

Always wondered about this so thought i'd post it ... 

We all want to watch attractive, Pep-style football and I guess a lot of us try and do that in FM, but does anyone play "ugly" (long-ball, big man up front) football and just look to snatch 1-0 wins every week? 

I'd be interested to see the tactics used and how successful you have been as well 

1 hour ago, dap1987 said:

Always wondered about this so thought i'd post it ... 

We all want to watch attractive, Pep-style football and I guess a lot of us try and do that in FM, but does anyone play "ugly" (long-ball, big man up front) football and just look to snatch 1-0 wins every week? 

I'd be interested to see the tactics used and how successful you have been as well 

I know this is going to sound shocking to you, but in my opinion Pep-style football is close to ugly in my book. My definition of beautiful football is high-tempo, direct passing, verticality, structure and flair. Yes, Pep-style has flair, lots of it, but nothing else from the other aspects I just mentioned. Don't get me wrong, I absolutly hate Simeone style, so don't for a second think I like that s**t. I love how Liverpool plays, how Dortmund played under Klopp, hot Bayern played under Heynkes and how Milan played in 2005-2007. In FM, it depends on what team I manage and what formation i can use depending on my squad, but I always build any tactic around high-tempo, directness, central verticality and discipline. Yes, I will have a '90s classic type of trequartista in the no.10 position and he will be my primary magician (think of Baggio/kaka) :)

One thing I do like about Pep-style is the way his teams are implementing the pressing. What I hate about it the most is what his teams do after they get the ball back (returning to that slow tempo and reset), even though he has moved on from this a bit since he manages in the English Premier League, but you can still see it quite a lot.

For my style of play, the go-to is the beautiful diamond (4-4-2 diamond-my all time favourite), 4-3-1-2,  5-2-1-2 WB and 4-2-3-1 as in 4-2dm-2ml/mr - amc - striker.

20 minutes ago, nie jem frytek said:

I did something similar in FM18, but I went for the more traditional 4-4-2 version. A flat back 4 with little permission to go forward, 2 central midfielder mostly about covering space and working hard. 2 winger who are allowed to go forward, but only a bit and two up top who fight for either lofty balls or run after balls over the top. Took me from non-league to the Premier League quite fast and a couple of seasons there before I had to change it up due to other teams playing deeper.

8 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

I know this is going to sound shocking to you, but in my opinion Pep-style football is close to ugly in my book. My definition of beautiful football is high-tempo, direct passing, verticality, structure and flair. Yes, Pep-style has flair, lots of it, but nothing else from the other aspects I just mentioned. Don't get me wrong, I absolutly hate Simeone style, so don't for a second think I like that s**t. I love how Liverpool plays, how Dortmund played under Klopp, hot Bayern played under Heynkes and how Milan played in 2005-2007. In FM, it depends on what team I manage and what formation i can use depending on my squad, but I always build any tactic around high-tempo, directness, central verticality and discipline. Yes, I will have a '90s classic type of trequartista in the no.10 position and he will be my primary magician (think of Baggio/kaka) :)

One thing I do like about Pep-style is the way his teams are implementing the pressing. What I hate about it the most is what his teams do after they get the ball back (returning to that slow tempo and reset), even though he has moved on from this a bit since he manages in the English Premier League, but you can still see it quite a lot.

For my style of play, the go-to is the beautiful diamond (4-4-2 diamond-my all time favourite), 4-3-1-2,  5-2-1-2 WB and 4-2-3-1 as in 4-2dm-2ml/mr - amc - striker.

This. Heynkes final Bayern side was perfect, absolutely perfect. 

Guardiola ruined them, and they've never recovered.

Archived