Help me dehumanise players

I have an issue with players when I play FM. I get too attached to them. I want to be able to bring the best out of all of them and help them realise their potential. If a player is starting to become unhappy, I will bend over backwards to fix his problem. Having good youngsters sitting in my reserves causes me pain. I struggle bringing myself to sell players even when they are not good enough for the team. As a result, I frequently find myself with one of the largest squads in the league, the most used players during the season and a very delicate juggling act trying to keep multiple big names happy despite the fact that they're getting rotated with lesser players. I just can't help but see them as real people that are depending on me to make something of their careers :D

Anyone else have this problem? Any tips for overcoming it and becoming more ruthless?

Players in recent FMs are greedy and fickle bastards... They're willing to leave your team as soon as a "better" offer comes up, so I don't have much sympathy for them anyway. Only a handful of loyal players will stick around long enough to earn your "love".

In older FMs it was a bit harder and I did tend to keep way too many players around. Oddly enough it was a way to "save" their career, as many players'd just rot unemployed as AI clubs weren't aggressive enough.

think of it this way. if you want to do right by your players, you would let them leave if they aren't useful to you. what you're doing is screwing with their careers. I hope that helps

10 horas atrás, Cal585 disse:

I have an issue with players when I play FM. I get too attached to them. I want to be able to bring the best out of all of them and help them realise their potential. If a player is starting to become unhappy, I will bend over backwards to fix his problem. Having good youngsters sitting in my reserves causes me pain. I struggle bringing myself to sell players even when they are not good enough for the team. As a result, I frequently find myself with one of the largest squads in the league, the most used players during the season and a very delicate juggling act trying to keep multiple big names happy despite the fact that they're getting rotated with lesser players. I just can't help but see them as real people that are depending on me to make something of their careers :D

Anyone else have this problem? Any tips for overcoming it and becoming more ruthless?

That means you're immersed in the game, it's a good thing. Having a good relationship with the players is great and to achieve that you can't treat them as numbers or tools anyway.

While I usually keep my squad numbers very balanced (and a lot of loaned out players every year that I want to follow closely and get them back), I also extensively use rotation. Keep "everyone" happy and also helps your squad to be fit in all competitions. With a good, methodical rotation system, having games from 3 or 4 different competitions every 3 days isn't much of a problem anymore :)

Keep up the good work!

14 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

think of it this way. if you want to do right by your players, you would let them leave if they aren't useful to you. what you're doing is screwing with their careers. I hope that helps

That's one way of looking at it! I often look around the game world though and see countless players being marginalised or misused and want to protect my players from that fate.

I think I'll start a save where I impose strict squad limits on myself. Might also force me to adapt if I don't have 2+ players in every position.

6 hours ago, 99 said:

That means you're immersed in the game, it's a good thing. Having a good relationship with the players is great and to achieve that you can't treat them as numbers or tools anyway.

While I usually keep my squad numbers very balanced (and a lot of loaned out players every year that I want to follow closely and get them back), I also extensively use rotation. Keep "everyone" happy and also helps your squad to be fit in all competitions. With a good, methodical rotation system, having games from 3 or 4 different competitions every 3 days isn't much of a problem anymore :)

Keep up the good work!

Yes, a key part of this is keeping your squad small. You want to have a relationship with all your boys - real relationships not 'Facebook friends' :)

1 hour ago, Cal585 said:

That's one way of looking at it! I often look around the game world though and see countless players being marginalised or misused and want to protect my players from that fate.

I think I'll start a save where I impose strict squad limits on myself. Might also force me to adapt if I don't have 2+ players in every position.

i would argue that by keeping them with no hope of playing time is misuse ;)

1 hour ago, jcp1417 said:

i would argue that by keeping them with no hope of playing time is misuse ;)

Oh I give them all playing time. I just tear my hair out balancing it and lose my key players in the process because they're not getting the majority they expect :p

Archived