Formation help

Hello.

I want to manage AGF in Denmark. They are my favourite team, and I want them to do well. The squad is kind of weirdly put together, so I have spent a couple of hours trying to conjure up a system and formation to fit the best players.

I am really not great with tactics though, so if someone would take a look at my starting point, and give me some advice to work on, it would be greatly appreciated.

Since they don't have a good DM, I am thinking that I might avoid that, which leads me to starting at a 4411.

They are not a very good team (middle of the pack or thereabouts) so I would like to sit back a bit. Perhaps I should go for a counter based system.

The club has a philosophy of playing direct football, and I don't have the best passers at my disposal, so I will roll with that.

Which leads me to this:

YeLol9w.png

The thoughts behind it:

GK - nothing noteworthy.

DR - Our starter here is good defensively, but not amazing forward, so I want to keep him at the back to be more of a pure defender.

DC - No real thoughts behind this, other than a standard central defense.

DL - He is a WB. He is a good defender, but can put in some really good crosses.

MR - Right now a winger, as I want some crosses from the right as well. Was also considering IW (S) and then changing the TM to either DLF or PF

MCR - We have a really limited arsenal at CM, but we have a natural born BBM, so I want to utilize him like that.

MCL - Here I did not know what to do. I put a MEZ to help out with the space left behind my the ML.

ML - WP. Our most creative player is right footed and natural on the left, so I want to use his skills by having him as WP. Considering IW.

AMC - This role is really work in progress. I will not use a Wide Playmaker and a Treq I think. So the combo would be WP/?? or likely IW/Treq

ST - Natural TM, but also decent as PF. I want him to be a link up more than a main goal scorer.

I know that I need to test it, but I wanted to ask you guys, who know more about tactics creation, to find any glaring holes or things that won't work.

General advice is appreciated as well.

50 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

I will not use a Wide Playmaker and a Treq I think. So the combo would be WP/?? or likely IW/Treq

Really depends on the type of players you have available in these positions. And this pertains to the other roles and duties as well (and the tactic in general). 

I would also suggest that one of your CMs be on defend duty (CMde or DLPde, depending on the type of player you're going to use in that position).

54 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

We have a really limited arsenal at CM, but we have a natural born BBM, so I want to utilize him like that.

When you say "natural born BBM", do you mean that based on his attributes or what the game suggests as his "ideal" role?

55 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

ST - Natural TM, but also decent as PF. I want him to be a link up more than a main goal scorer.

If you intend to play direct counter-attacking football and have a trequartista in the AMC position, a PF on attack duty can be a good role for the lone striker (but again, look at his attributes and traits to see if he fits the bill).

59 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

MCL - Here I did not know what to do. I put a MEZ to help out with the space left behind my the ML.

I guess you meant carrilero (not mezzala)? Anyway, I'd rather opt for a defend-duty player (as I already wrote further above).

Really depends on the type of players you have available in these positions. And this pertains to the other roles and duties as well (and the tactic in general). 

I would also suggest that one of your CMs be on defend duty (CMde or DLPde, depending on the type of player you're going to use in that position).

I just thought that WP and Treq would be overkill, and basically doing the same thing. Especially if I also add a DLP to the mix.

When you say "natural born BBM", do you mean that based on his attributes or what the game suggests as his "ideal" role?

He's got the stats for BBM.

If you intend to play direct counter-attacking football and have a trequartista in the AMC position, a PF on attack duty can be a good role for the lone striker (but again, look at his attributes and traits to see if he fits the bill).

He's a good fit for PF, so will change him to that.

I guess you meant carrilero (not mezzala)? Anyway, I'd rather opt for a defend-duty player (as I already wrote further above).

Yeah, I meant carrilero. I think I will put a DLP D instead.

I appreciate the feedback.

1 hour ago, Mr_Demus said:

I just thought that WP and Treq would be overkill, and basically doing the same thing. Especially if I also add a DLP to the mix.

You misunderstood me. I did not say that you should play a WP and TQ together. What I said is that you need to consider players' attributes and traits (among other things) when deciding which roles to give them. 

Btw, I have analyzed your squad here and based on the analysis, I would go formation-wise with 4-1-3-1-1 wide and 4-1-3-2 wide systems. 

Just some food for thought. Sounds like playing down left might be good strategy with more offensively talented guys over there. This would be my surface level suggestion. I would be hesitant to have playmaker role in a direct style as well.

DLF (s)

Attacking MF (a)

Winger (s) / CM (s) / BBM (s) / wing. (s)

wb (a) / ncb (d) / cd (d) / fullback (s)

id prolly do normal defensive line with lower LoE. Focus down left, cautious mentality. I’d use width as my circumstantial toggle. 

10 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

With the left back as a WB on attack, this literally calls for opposition counter-attacks down your left flank (and even more so given that neither MCL nor ML is on defend duty).

Would be more susceptible, yes. That why I’d put NCB on that side to help a little. Could use CMS spot for more defensive option. I almost always use a DMF so prolly true you’d be a bit exposed but that wasn’t an option lol.

thats also why I’d suggest being pretty compact with lower LoE. 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

You misunderstood me. I did not say that you should play a WP and TQ together. What I said is that you need to consider players' attributes and traits (among other things) when deciding which roles to give them. 

Btw, I have analyzed your squad here and based on the analysis, I would go formation-wise with 4-1-3-1-1 wide and 4-1-3-2 wide systems. 

Thanks for the effort, but that is not the updated squad. Most of it should still be true though, so will look at those formations.

I have taken your advice on board @Experienced Defender and have come up with this. It plays okay so far, but there are still some pieces missing I feel.

yCPQPLK.png

My striker is kind of invisible, but that could actually be okay in the role he plays in this system I guess.

My MC is just a standard MC S for now, because I am not sure how I should set him up. I considered the BBM, but I'm afraid he will be out of position defensively too much.

I don't know which players play which positions, so cannot give you any specific advice. What I see though is that your setup of roles and duties might be a bit risky, especially as your team is not of the highest quality, so you should protect the defense slightly better. Plus, if you play a direct counter-attacking style, your fullbacks don't need to be forward-bombing too much (i.e. they should be more conservative, like FB on support or WB on defend for example).

Archived