8th season Man Utd tactics

My chief scout does a really good job (almost 98% accurate) in predicting how my opposition will line up, I am able to plan accordingly.  

There are a few regens on my squad but I'm in 8th season so that makes sense. Most of them are promoted through the ranks if not bought at young age. 

773256179_ScreenShot2019-02-21at6_06_20PM.thumb.png.e0ceb85c71b5a3e08e5e217736f44bcf.png

1. Against teams that are defensive but either plays with two strikers or will try to counter attack. Halfbacks here are set to stay wider when in possession of the ball (Luke Shaw can play there too but may lack discipline staying behind) and Regista is given the license to bomb forward. Used to have Veratti as my RGA but he got old and James Garner who is promoted through the ranks is also very good. Also note that Boubacar Kamara is a really good ballplaying defender who can dribble and pass. Buy him!   

1220629052_ScreenShot2019-02-21at6_08_12PM.thumb.png.4b6496d4b53c099c251028923f00ac81.png

2. Against teams that will park the bus and will barely make an effort to the counter attack (usually 541, 451, or 4231 deep). The support role here does not best suit Mason Greenwood but I also wanted my striker to do link up play. Callum Gribbin (originally from U18 squad) is incredibly underrated. 

130560157_ScreenShot2019-02-21at6_09_42PM.thumb.png.0a2a17a9fc64433574415ee819b66273.png

3. For big games and some mid table teams. Player instructions and roles may vary from opponent to opponent, but thats the core. 

Just a quick one to say I liked the ideas.  I'm not sure if you can play with tactics like this straight out of the box but this is a system you've developed for your squad over a number of seasons.  Like the way you've got a strategy for certain situations so congratulations.

Btw.  In the first two tactics you use against weaker teams it looks as though the roles narrow you quite a bit at the back with either no full backs or inverted wing backs.  Is this because you don't see the opposition attacking you high and wide any more given their underdog status?

for the 1st tactic, perhaps I should've elaborated further, its good against teams that play a narrow formation. Chances are it will not work against teams that counter you on the flanks. I put halfbacks there because I want to outnumber my opposition in the middle and create passing option in the middle. My suggestion is if you play against defensive teams that have a tendency to counter on the flank, change the halfbacks to inverted wing backs in the higher positions (automatic, dribble less, less risky). That way, you will have control in the middle (when in possession) because the inverted wingbacks tuck in when the team is in possession, as well as wide areas (when out of possession) because they defend like wing backs. 

@Robson 07 the reason i designed the first two tactics is because I manage a very dominant side and teams always play with very defensive - cautious mentality with players staying behind. Sometimes they counter and sometimes they don't attack at all. Therefore I needed to find a balance between controlling the game and not conceding from counter attacks. 

Archived