Steadfast 442 v2 for 19.2.3 (19.3 tested)

Greetings,

A bit late in the day, quiet on here, to be posting a new tactic, especially with a possible ME update looming but I’ve already done all the work, was just going to update the 4141 thread but that ends up confusing everyone and I have quite a bit of information to post.   

I've also run some tests on the new 19.3 Beta Match Engine which will likely drop with the Winter database update, similar results actually so hopefully this will be future proof if/when the updated ME drops.

I wanted to get away from the ‘Attacking’ mentality I’d used to good effect on the 4141 changing it to ‘Balanced’ for a slightly more authentic experience, a by-product of this is that the ‘tackle harder/mark tighter combo’ no longer leads to disciplinary issues with this more cautious approach.

I originally tried the 4141 on ‘Balanced’ which whilst very good, flatters to deceive, statistically you are very dominant but you seem to draw games 1-1 you should really win. Not quite enough goals.

Enter the 442, which I initially tried on ‘Attacking’, whilst this set up scores a load of goals, the midfield area is basically left vacant with no DM to hold as our Box to Box guys rush forward, not acceptable to me, however on ‘Balanced’ they operate as proper ‘support’ players only moving to advanced areas when relatively safe to do so. Whilst this ‘nerfs’ their attacking threat somewhat, this allows our Wide Midfielders to step up as we will see below.

20190217093906-1.jpg

RESULTS

As mentioned on the 4141 thread, won Conference South with one of the weakest teams, actually East Thurrock although I was experimenting with the create a club feature so its rebranded as Hever here, but it’s the same team. Solid result.

20190217094620-1.jpg

Stockport have proven to be a powerful team in the Conference North and I have a daunting result from the 4141v2 to compare it against, namely 116 points and an unbeaten season. Not expecting to match that but hoping to be in touching distance of it with a few more goals.   

20190217094502-1.jpghow to do a screenshot on a pc

Really can’t complain. League was won by February, 2 defeats and a handful of draws. A very strong 110 points, very slightly off the 4141 pace but that is standard variance, on another run the 442 could just as well come out on top. Scored a few more goals with the 442 despite the lower mentality.

Overall, I enjoy playing with the 442 more, not the constant threat of sendings off as with Steadfast 4141 v2, less fouls given away, less suspensions. And it’s nice to play with 2 strikers.

An interesting observation is that your Wide Midfielders are potentially your highest scorers. Kirkby on the left was my main goalscorer, he’s bang average but has high finishing, longshots and technique for this level and managed to score 32 goals. Mantack on the right had a fine season but we can see he is not as an accomplished finisher and couldn’t get near that tally.

20190217094114-1.jpg

20190217094127-1.jpg

Our Strikers did well enough with 22 and 15 goals respectively, but with some shrewd recruitment and/or retraining Strikers to ML/MR we could see some potentially murderous goalscoring returns from our wide midfielders.       

The System

Out of possession we are looking at a 451, 460 formation as our Strikers drop into midfield to help defend. This is obviously beneficial defensively with teams having to work hard to break us down, but the lack of a Striker on ‘attack’ duty nullifies our counter attacking threat, but this is not what this tactic is about.

When in possession we transform initially into a 424 as our wide midfielders become auxiliary Strikers, prolonged possession see’s this become a 244 or even a 226 as our Wingbacks become emboldened and push very high up the pitch.

With opposing Centre Backs occupied with our Strikers, opposing Fullback tied up with our Wingbacks it is our advanced Wide Midfielders who are often the men in space as exemplified by their goalscoring return.

Although, as with any successful tactic, the key to dominance is the regular creation of ‘overloads’, whether centrally, out-wide or in this case the simple overloading of our opponents back line.  

We have very high shot tallies, often 30 or even 40 plus. Approximately 40% of these will be longshots, whilst we attempt to mitigate this by applying ‘shoot less often’ & ‘work ball into box’, I accept this is a result of our focus on central play. Our Wide Midfielders don’t cross and are often situated within the width of the penalty area, width and crosses are provided by our Wingbacks but this is not our primary source of attacks and they are largely decoys pulling defenders away from central areas where we attempt to dominate.     

There is also a tendency towards longshots in this ME anyway, they are an effective means of goalscoring as well, I’d suggest 30-35% longshots would be about optimal on the ME anyway so we’re not too far off and can live with this.

Our main defensive vulnerability is balls over the top, but the positives of a high defensive line outweigh the negative so again, we accept this.

Notes

·         Right Backs to take corners.

·         Right Backs to take right sided throw ins.

·         Left Backs to take left sided throw ins.

Player Roles    

Whilst I play Academy Challenges I can still mold and shape players to suit the system. Those who are able to buy ready made players should be able to positively influence results with proper player selection.

These are my ideas on what fits well with this tactic.

As a general rule, don’t sign any player noted in his report as ‘inconsistent’, prioritise any player who is noted to be consistent performer.

Strikers (False 9 – Support)

Role:Creator/Goalscorer

Priority Attributes: Flair, Technique, Passing, Finishing

Wide Midfield (Wide Midfielder – Attack)

Role:Runner/Goalscorer

Priority Attributes: Dribbling, Finishing, Long Shots, Technique

Central Midfield (Box to Box – Support)

Role:Creator/Tackler

Priority Attributes: Passing, Vision, Work Rate, Tackling

Defender Right/Left (Complete Wingback – Attack)

Runner/Creator/Tackler

Priority Attributes: Stamina, Work Rate, Passing, Tackling 

Central Defenders (Centre Back – Defend)

Tackler/Marker

Priority Attributes: Tackling, Marking, Jumping Reach, Acceleration

Steadfast 442 v2.fmf

I will be chucking this in next time I boot up the old computer. Your 4141 has dragged my Leamington team all the way up from Van South to 7th in BPL within 8/9 years. 

I have no doubt the performance and football will be excellent! 

On 17/02/2019 at 09:47, Mr U Rosler said:

Greetings,

A bit late in the day, quiet on here, to be posting a new tactic, especially with a possible ME update looming but I’ve already done all the work, was just going to update the 4141 thread but that ends up confusing everyone and I have quite a bit of information to post.   

I've also run some tests on the new 19.3 Beta Match Engine which will likely drop with the Winter database update, similar results actually so hopefully this will be future proof if/when the updated ME drops.

I wanted to get away from the ‘Attacking’ mentality I’d used to good effect on the 4141 changing it to ‘Balanced’ for a slightly more authentic experience, a by-product of this is that the ‘tackle harder/mark tighter combo’ no longer leads to disciplinary issues with this more cautious approach.

I originally tried the 4141 on ‘Balanced’ which whilst very good, flatters to deceive, statistically you are very dominant but you seem to draw games 1-1 you should really win. Not quite enough goals.

Enter the 442, which I initially tried on ‘Attacking’, whilst this set up scores a load of goals, the midfield area is basically left vacant with no DM to hold as our Box to Box guys rush forward, not acceptable to me, however on ‘Balanced’ they operate as proper ‘support’ players only moving to advanced areas when relatively safe to do so. Whilst this ‘nerfs’ their attacking threat somewhat, this allows our Wide Midfielders to step up as we will see below.

20190217093906-1.jpg

RESULTS

As mentioned on the 4141 thread, won Conference South with one of the weakest teams, actually East Thurrock although I was experimenting with the create a club feature so its rebranded as Hever here, but it’s the same team. Solid result.

20190217094620-1.jpg

Stockport have proven to be a powerful team in the Conference North and I have a daunting result from the 4141v2 to compare it against, namely 116 points and an unbeaten season. Not expecting to match that but hoping to be in touching distance of it with a few more goals.   

20190217094502-1.jpghow to do a screenshot on a pc

Really can’t complain. League was won by February, 2 defeats and a handful of draws. A very strong 110 points, very slightly off the 4141 pace but that is standard variance, on another run the 442 could just as well come out on top. Scored a few more goals with the 442 despite the lower mentality.

Overall, I enjoy playing with the 442 more, not the constant threat of sendings off as with Steadfast 4141 v2, less fouls given away, less suspensions. And it’s nice to play with 2 strikers.

An interesting observation is that your Wide Midfielders are potentially your highest scorers. Kirkby on the left was my main goalscorer, he’s bang average but has high finishing, longshots and technique for this level and managed to score 32 goals. Mantack on the right had a fine season but we can see he is not as an accomplished finisher and couldn’t get near that tally.

20190217094114-1.jpg

20190217094127-1.jpg

Our Strikers did well enough with 22 and 15 goals respectively, but with some shrewd recruitment and/or retraining Strikers to ML/MR we could see some potentially murderous goalscoring returns from our wide midfielders.       

The System

Out of possession we are looking at a 451, 460 formation as our Strikers drop into midfield to help defend. This is obviously beneficial defensively with teams having to work hard to break us down, but the lack of a Striker on ‘attack’ duty nullifies our counter attacking threat, but this is not what this tactic is about.

When in possession we transform initially into a 424 as our wide midfielders become auxiliary Strikers, prolonged possession see’s this become a 244 or even a 226 as our Wingbacks become emboldened and push very high up the pitch.

With opposing Centre Backs occupied with our Strikers, opposing Fullback tied up with our Wingbacks it is our advanced Wide Midfielders who are often the men in space as exemplified by their goalscoring return.

Although, as with any successful tactic, the key to dominance is the regular creation of ‘overloads’, whether centrally, out-wide or in this case the simple overloading of our opponents back line.  

We have very high shot tallies, often 30 or even 40 plus. Approximately 40% of these will be longshots, whilst we attempt to mitigate this by applying ‘shoot less often’ & ‘work ball into box’, I accept this is a result of our focus on central play. Our Wide Midfielders don’t cross and are often situated within the width of the penalty area, width and crosses are provided by our Wingbacks but this is not our primary source of attacks and they are largely decoys pulling defenders away from central areas where we attempt to dominate.     

There is also a tendency towards longshots in this ME anyway, they are an effective means of goalscoring as well, I’d suggest 30-35% longshots would be about optimal on the ME anyway so we’re not too far off and can live with this.

Our main defensive vulnerability is balls over the top, but the positives of a high defensive line outweigh the negative so again, we accept this.

Notes

·         Right Backs to take corners.

·         Right Backs to take right sided throw ins.

·         Left Backs to take left sided throw ins.

Player Roles    

Whilst I play Academy Challenges I can still mold and shape players to suit the system. Those who are able to buy ready made players should be able to positively influence results with proper player selection.

These are my ideas on what fits well with this tactic.

As a general rule, don’t sign any player noted in his report as ‘inconsistent’, prioritise any player who is noted to be consistent performer.

Strikers (False 9 – Support)

Role:Creator/Goalscorer

Priority Attributes: Flair, Technique, Passing, Finishing

Wide Midfield (Wide Midfielder – Attack)

Role:Runner/Goalscorer

Priority Attributes: Dribbling, Finishing, Long Shots, Technique

Central Midfield (Box to Box – Support)

Role:Creator/Tackler

Priority Attributes: Passing, Vision, Work Rate, Tackling

Defender Right/Left (Complete Wingback – Attack)

Runner/Creator/Tackler

Priority Attributes: Stamina, Work Rate, Passing, Tackling 

Central Defenders (Centre Back – Defend)

Tackler/Marker

Priority Attributes: Tackling, Marking, Jumping Reach, Acceleration

Steadfast 442 v2.fmf 46.74 kB · 98 downloads

what about the priority attributes for the sweeper keeeper

• 3 weeks later...

Archived